skinfanjon
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Way, way, waaaay too early 2023 Draft class thread

Postby skinfanjon » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:59 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:15 pm
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:17 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:41 am

He's been their best receiver for a few seasons from the slot, so there are games where they get him the ball quick on underneath stuff to give him a chance at YAC. I have no concerns about his usage at all three levels. He separates very well downfield and shows the technical skills you want as a route runner. Plus has 4.3-4.4 speed on top of it as a former track athlete.

I think people will be surprised at a few things:

1. How athletic he is.
2. How physical and successful he is in contested catch situations

But yeah, the YPC doesn't concern me.
Are we looking at a more athletic Elijah Moore? I have a hard time pinning who a good comparison is.
I don't know if that's the comparison I'd go with, though I do think he will test better athletically than Moore.
He kinda reminds me of Santana Moss, although Tana played outside plenty.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:26 pm

Good thread on RBs and draft capital:

https://twitter.com/DynastySFlex/status ... USuog&s=19
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Nix
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, Connor, Benson
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Woods

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:42 pm

Am I the only guy comparing Levis to Allen? Or am I way off here? I got Allen at 2.07 in my 1 QB dynasty.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON (R), Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK (R), CORLEY (R), COWING (R), Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON (R), Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER (R) RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME (R) WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING (R), MWASHINGTON (R) TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS (R), Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE (R), Goff, Cousins, PENIX (R), Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: HARRISON (R), DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS (R), Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, DPJ, Devante TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:58 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:42 pm Am I the only guy comparing Levis to Allen? Or am I way off here? I got Allen at 2.07 in my 1 QB dynasty.
Allen was way younger, and had a better arm. I don't see them as similar due to the massive age difference when they entered the league. A full 2 years in age difference when entering, is a big deal.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:02 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:26 pm Good thread on RBs and draft capital:

Lynn Bowden was not really a RB. The Raiders tried to make him one, and Gibson, who was sort of in the same position, had a very good FF year. Damien Harris had 15 rushing TD's last season.

While 3rd round RB's may not have hit with major seasons, let's not forget that David Johnson and Kareem Hunt were 3rd round RB's who had massive seasons not too long ago. Ever heard of a guy named Alvin Kamara? Yep, 3rd round as well. This thread seems pretty selective to prove a point that I don't think proves much.

The hit rate on round 3 is probably lower than round 2, but that's not surprising. IDK, I guess what I see in round 3 are solid backups and RB2 and 3's for FF, but there are some real difference makers, too.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:23 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:02 am
Orenthal Shames wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:26 pm Good thread on RBs and draft capital:

Lynn Bowden was not really a RB. The Raiders tried to make him one, and Gibson, who was sort of in the same position, had a very good FF year. Damien Harris had 15 rushing TD's last season.

While 3rd round RB's may not have hit with major seasons, let's not forget that David Johnson and Kareem Hunt were 3rd round RB's who had massive seasons not too long ago. Ever heard of a guy named Alvin Kamara? Yep, 3rd round as well. This thread seems pretty selective to prove a point that I don't think proves much.

The hit rate on round 3 is probably lower than round 2, but that's not surprising. IDK, I guess what I see in round 3 are solid backups and RB2 and 3's for FF, but there are some real difference makers, too.
Yeah the last 5 years have had some extremes, the 1st round rbs are hitting at a higher than normal rate and the 3rd round rbs at a lower than normal rate. He’s right in that round 3 < round 2 < round 1, but getting that day 2 draft capital still matters. 5 year sample size in the nfl is really small. Sometimes we are forced to use small sample sizes, and that’s fine, but you wouldn’t seek out a sample size of 5 years as he seems to be doing.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:08 am

wickerkat1212 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:42 pm Am I the only guy comparing Levis to Allen? Or am I way off here? I got Allen at 2.07 in my 1 QB dynasty.
You're not alone, I've seen that comparison multiple other places. That's been his comparable if he really hits his upside.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:07 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:08 am
You're not alone, I've seen that comparison multiple other places. That's been his comparable if he really hits his upside.
Curious as to who is making it? Allen had the better arm, and was a full 2 years younger coming into the league, so what exactly is the comparison here?

We'll see if Levis lives up to his college measurements, but he also appears to be at least 2 inches shorter. I'm wondering what the similarities are supposed to be?

Levis seems to be a bargain bin Allen.

A raw (despite being a senior), older, smaller, weaker armed version.
Janiel Dones Truther

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:45 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:07 am
Curious as to who is making it? Allen had the better arm, and was a full 2 years younger coming into the league, so what exactly is the comparison here?

We'll see if Levis lives up to his college measurements, but he also appears to be at least 2 inches shorter. I'm wondering what the similarities are supposed to be?

The first three times I heard/read the comparisons, I was thrown. After 10+ times, I'm like whatever, it's gotten to the point like talking about Young's height. I take the comments as broad stroke (some would call them "lazy") comparisons to indicate both the rough ceiling and to highlight the frame.

I didn't take the comments that Levis could be *EXACTLY* like Allen, but in that direction. If Levis' ceiling is, say, 70-80% along the Allen trajectory, I could see a bargain bin Allen in his range of outcomes.

Similarly, I could see Bryce Young being in the Drew Brees mold. Not an exact clone, but along that spectrum.

The Allen and Brees examples don't focus on the floor/bust potential but on their considerable ceilings.

I am curious if calling Levis raw accounts for Allen's college tape and coming from Wyoming. He was raw, too.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:03 am

PFN's James Fargoza most recent mock had a good combo of things I agreed with and things that threw me. First off, he projected a bunch of (reasonable imo) trades. Among the interesting first round results-
Young to Indy at #1, Houston gets Stroud and Q Johnston, Levis goes 8th (Baltimore), A Richardson to Carolina 9th.
Washington gets Derek Carr and M Mayer. Really like that TE fit.
GB turns the 13th overall (from Rodgers trade) into Addison. Opens the Jordan to Jordan QB-WR connection.
Zay Flowers 3rd WR off the board at 21 to LAC, JSN 22nd to Balt. Josh Downs last 1st round WR to NYG at 25th.
Philly gets Tyree Wilson 10th, Brian Branch 31st.
Keep seeing DT Siaki Ika getting mocked late 1st, NO at 28th here.

1st round skill players- 5 WRs, 4 QBs,1 RB, 1 TE.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:11 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:45 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:07 am

The first three times I heard/read the comparisons, I was thrown. After 10+ times, I'm like whatever, it's gotten to the point like talking about Young's height. I take the comments as broad stroke (some would call them "lazy") comparisons to indicate both the rough ceiling and to highlight the frame.

I didn't take the comments that Levis could be *EXACTLY* like Allen, but in that direction. If Levis' ceiling is, say, 70-80% along the Allen trajectory, I could see a bargain bin Allen in his range of outcomes.

Similarly, I could see Bryce Young being in the Drew Brees mold. Not an exact clone, but along that spectrum.

The Allen and Brees examples don't focus on the floor/bust potential but on their considerable ceilings.

I am curious if calling Levis raw accounts for Allen's college tape and coming from Wyoming. He was raw, too.

I believe Allen transformed his mechanics after his 2nd season, which, in combination with Daboll, took him to another level as a passer.
Janiel Dones Truther

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:12 am

I think Richardson is closer to a Josh Allen pie-in-the-sky outcome.

And frankly, I'm starting to think I'd rather have Richardson than Levis. I could see Richardson becoming what people thought Trey Lance's upside is.

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:54 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:03 am PFN's James Fargoza most recent mock had a good combo of things I agreed with and things that threw me. First off, he projected a bunch of (reasonable imo) trades. Among the interesting first round results-
Young to Indy at #1, Houston gets Stroud and Q Johnston, Levis goes 8th (Baltimore), A Richardson to Carolina 9th.
Washington gets Derek Carr and M Mayer. Really like that TE fit.
GB turns the 13th overall (from Rodgers trade) into Addison. Opens the Jordan to Jordan QB-WR connection.
Zay Flowers 3rd WR off the board at 21 to LAC, JSN 22nd to Balt. Josh Downs last 1st round WR to NYG at 25th.
Philly gets Tyree Wilson 10th, Brian Branch 31st.
Keep seeing DT Siaki Ika getting mocked late 1st, NO at 28th here.

1st round skill players- 5 WRs, 4 QBs,1 RB, 1 TE.
JSN to Baltimore… yuck! Another premium receiver talent wasted.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:06 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:12 am I think Richardson is closer to a Josh Allen pie-in-the-sky outcome.

And frankly, I'm starting to think I'd rather have Richardson than Levis. I could see Richardson becoming what people thought Trey Lance's upside is.
Watching Richardson pass is eerily similar to watching Lance. He is poor at reading coverage and his accuracy is bad enough that a pass getting to a receiver where he can do something after the catch seems more like a fluke than a genuinely good pass. His skill set is well below what is required to start in the NFL. There is just so much wrong there.

A QB’s primary responsibility is to put the ball into his playmakers’ hands, no matter how good of a runner that he is. People look at Richardson as a cheat code at QB, but if he can’t get on the field because his passing is so poor he isn’t going to do your team much good.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:10 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:12 am I think Richardson is closer to a Josh Allen pie-in-the-sky outcome.

From a fantasy standpoint I’d much rather have Richardson than Levis. Especially if he gets top 10 draft capital.

If Richardson gets drafted early and it happens to be by Sean Payton (assuming he does coach this year) his fantasy draft stock is going to skyrocket.