Barkley Landing Spot?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Re: Barkley Landing Spot?

Postby ericanadian » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:09 am

tstafford wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:37 am Thanks for all the replies.

Doesn't sound like folks are too worried about a hold out - that would see like the only *likely* way his fantasy value goes down. If he leave the Giants, no one is paying him to be in a 50/50 timeshare.

If he stays with the Giants, I'd kind of like them to lessen his workload a bit. He got over 25 touches per game in his first 9 games and averaged 18.5 PPG, then for the remainder of the season (thru wk17) it was 17.8 touches and 15 PPG. My take is he was worn down a bit by that early season workload. I'd rather he got ~20 touches (15/5) and was a bit more rested down the stretch.
Seems like he had better efficiency in the second set of games. Could just be game script as the Giants lost a lot of the later games, while winning most of the early ones.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:23 am

Barkley is asking for CMC money and his production/career to date probably justifies it.

So another team isn’t getting Barkley for $10M per year. Closer to $16M per year in the nature of a 4 year contract with at least half guaranteed.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:35 am

AZ has some money and a new GM, I could see that as a fit as they need a culture change.

The Pats can afford him, the Bills need him but probably can't afford him.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:18 am

ericanadian wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:09 am Seems like he had better efficiency in the second set of games. Could just be game script as the Giants lost a lot of the later games, while winning most of the early ones.
Heavy workload period (1-8,10): 4.7 YPC
Lighter workload period (11-17): 3.9 YPC

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:26 am

If Barkley gets tagged he can, and IMO should, take the "Playoff Lamar" route and start calling them subdermal hematomas instead of bruises in training camp so "they know". He's probably too class act to do that; just another reason they shouldn't screw him over with a tag just because they can.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:46 am

tstafford wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:18 am
ericanadian wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:09 am Seems like he had better efficiency in the second set of games. Could just be game script as the Giants lost a lot of the later games, while winning most of the early ones.
Was more looking at your points per game. The dropoff seemed to come in games 9-12 (he went for 4.85 for the 13-17 games.) Detroit, Dallas, Washington seemed to really hold him up. None of those teams had particularly stout run defenses (Detroit is near bottom of the league) so not sure what happened there, but he then had a low usage game against Philly when he came in questionable and then everything went back to normal. Maybe he was hurt all along?

WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
K - Just a stupid kicker

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:11 am

ericanadian wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:46 am
tstafford wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:18 am
Maybe he was hurt all along?
Yeah, maybe or just overworked. Either way I'd like to see him in a slight time share.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:31 pm

Atlanta

A lot of cap space, HC who needs to win in a winnable division and came from a team that relied on running game when he was OC, strong OL especially in the run game, solid but unspectacular RB already on the roster to handle some of the workload. Atlanta could really drastically improve the makeup of their team if they added say a Carr and Saquon in FA and then an Edge in the draft.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:57 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:26 am
mild wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:52 pm The main thing that makes me think the tag is coming for Saquon is the relative price:
10 million for 1 year of Saquon, or...
35 million for 1 year of Danny Dimes.

I know which one I'd pick.
They aren't letting Jones walk
Maybe, but counterpoint: if you're going to spend $35 million on one year of Daniel Jones (I would say an overpay of probably 10m) then why not just go the whole hog and offer him 2 years for 50m with a 3rd year out/option? He's earned that kind of contract, and it makes sense for both sides.

In which case... you're right back to tagging Saquon for a paltry 10m.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:02 pm

mild wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:57 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:26 am
mild wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:52 pm The main thing that makes me think the tag is coming for Saquon is the relative price:
10 million for 1 year of Saquon, or...
35 million for 1 year of Danny Dimes.

I know which one I'd pick.
They aren't letting Jones walk
Maybe, but counterpoint: if you're going to spend $35 million on one year of Daniel Jones (I would say an overpay of probably 10m) then why not just go the whole hog and offer him 2 years for 50m with a 3rd year out/option? He's earned that kind of contract, and it makes sense for both sides.

In which case... you're right back to tagging Saquon for a paltry 10m.
You’re assuming D, Jones signs for that. My guess is the Giants will easily offer in the 25 million range on a multi year deal.

The only way they entertain tagging Barkley is if they get Jones signed quickly IMO.

Jones is a way higher priority

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:09 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:02 pm You’re assuming D, Jones signs for that. My guess is the Giants will easily offer in the 25 million range on a multi year deal.

The only way they entertain tagging Barkley is if they get Jones signed quickly IMO.

Jones is a way higher priority
Reminder: they already declined him at 22.4 million for 2023.

Reminder: they openly have attempted negotiations with Barkley mid-season, that hasn't happened for Jones.

Reminder: the Franchise Tag deadline is March 7th. By "Work quickly" I presume you mean 1.5 months.

I'm not assuming, I'm just making educated guesses based on their actions thus far.
The business side of the equation will be fascinating. The new regime thrust Jones into a make-or-break season in April by declining his $22.4 million fifth-year option for 2023. The Giants got off to a strong start this season, but Jones was mostly a passenger as running back Saquon Barkley carried the offense.

General manager Joe Schoen openly spoke about his desire to sign Barkley to a long-term extension during the midseason bye week and held preliminary negotiations with the running back’s agent. Schoen was far more tepid about Jones, pointing out that the evaluation of the quarterback was ongoing. There were no extension negotiations with Jones’ representatives during the bye.

The Giants were set up to move on from Jones, with veteran Tyrod Taylor signed to a two-year contract that had him in place as a potential bridge quarterback in 2023. But Jones’ play down the stretch has forced the Giants to reconsider that plan.
https://theathletic.com/4116099/2023/01 ... barkley-3/

A worthy read for anyone needing a refresher on where it's all standing currently for Dimes and the Giants.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:23 pm

They declined him a lifetime ago. That has absolutely Zero Bearing on today.

He improved a ton and if they want him they will have to pay him.

Listen to the GM closely; it’s obvious he values Jones way more as he should. Put his statements side by side.

Yes 1.5 months is actually pretty quick IMO

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:29 am

I see post from mild regarding the franchise tag being $10m. I can see this being a possibility for him.

Slightly off topic, but I’m wondering how that is calculated? I thought the franchise tag was the average of top 5 at the position. Just a quick search, there are 8 RBs averaging 12m or more. So wondering how the franchise tag is less. I’m sure I’m missing something obvious…

Edit: disregard. Seeing now it has to deal with cap hits over the last five years too. And not necessarily even average salary of one specific year.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:39 am

frerichs5 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:29 am I see post from mild regarding the franchise tag being $10m. I can see this being a possibility for him.

Slightly off topic, but I’m wondering how that is calculated? I thought the franchise tag was the average of top 5 at the position. Just a quick search, there are 8 RBs averaging 12m or more. So wondering how the franchise tag is less. I’m sure I’m missing something obvious…

Edit: disregard. Seeing now it has to deal with cap hits over the last five years too. And not necessarily even average salary of one specific year.
The $12M are AAV figures. Actual salaries for 2023 land at an average of $10M.

K - Just a stupid kicker

Needalife
Legend
Legend

Postby Needalife » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:42 pm

I think he gets tagged but New York should move on with a cheaper option. I don't think Barkley is irreplaceable. Keep Breida, add a free agent like Mattison or grab a rookie in the 2nd or 3rd. Barkley is an amazing prospect and a really good football player but, if I'm a GM, I'm devaluing RB. Seeing guys like Allgeier, Pollard, McKinnon doing well makes me not want to pay up for a 2nd contract.

PS... I know BUF can't afford him and SIngletary is a FA next year. Watch out for Nyheim Hines next year. Great offseason buy low as many will focus on James Cook. Hines is a stud and can do a ton more there with a full offseason.
14 TM / Devy / SuperFlex / TEP
1 Q / 2 RB / 2 WR / 1 TE / 1 SF / 3 F / 1 DT / 2 DE / 3 LB / 2 CB / 2 S / 1 F

QB: Jordan Love, Trevor Lawrence
RB: Zamir White, James Conner, Trey Benson, Jaylen Warren, Will Shipley
WR: Michael Pittman, Puka Nacua, Drake London, Christian Kirk, Josh Palmer
TE: Trey McBride, Jake Ferguson, Noah Gray
PK: Justin Tucker, Jason Myers
DT: Grover Stewart, Devonte Wyatt
DE: Alex Highsmith, Jonathan Cooper, Gregory Rousseau, Matt Judon, Baron Browning
LB: Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Ernest Jones, Alex Anzalone, Jack Campbell
CB: L'Jarius Sneed, Deommodore Lenoir, Taron Johnson
S: Derwin James, Talanoa Hufanga, Kareem Jackson
DEVY: RB Nick Singleton PSU
2024 DEVY DEPLETED PICKS: 1.11, 1.13, 2.03, 2.05, 2.13, 3.01, 3.07, 3.10, 3.12, 4.03, 4.11, 4.15, 5.01, 5.02