Trey Lance thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Trey Lance thread

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:09 am

FWIW, I drafted Lance in a SF league, but I bailed this year. Did not like what I saw at all.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:19 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:09 am FWIW, I drafted Lance in a SF league, but I bailed this year. Did not like what I saw at all.
People bailed on Lawrence, Fields, heck, Jalen Hurts, because they didn't like what they saw.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:47 am

halfbaked88 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:19 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:09 am FWIW, I drafted Lance in a SF league, but I bailed this year. Did not like what I saw at all.
People bailed on Lawrence, Fields, heck, Jalen Hurts, because they didn't like what they saw.
lol. people bailed on lock, rosen, darnold, mayfield, heck, mitch trubisky, because they didn't like what they saw!

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:53 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:47 am
lol. people bailed on lock, rosen, darnold, mayfield, heck, mitch trubisky, because they didn't like what they saw!
Lol very true. Lot of those guys were given a lot more time before they were bailed on though.

Bailing on a QB based off 2 starts a year is just a little bit of a small sample size don't you think?

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:03 am

halfbaked88 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:53 am

Lol very true. Lot of those guys were given a lot more time before they were bailed on though.

Bailing on a QB based off 2 starts a year is just a little bit of a small sample size don't you think?
honest question, do you not factor in that he wasn't given more starts because there was widespread agreement by the staff and his teammates that he wasn't ready for the field not matter to you? Willis was benched for Dobbs not because they thought Dobbs was a better prospect, but Willis was simply not ready to play in the NFL. Do you support him as strong as Lance or is it just Lance you prop up? There is a ZERO percent chance if able to do it over, the 49ers make the same move and pay the same cost to acquire him.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

AllEliteDynasty
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby AllEliteDynasty » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:08 am

If you ever want to know who has Trey Lance on their rosters just come here.

If you're still believe there is great value in a FCS Quarterback who hasn't done anything in the NFL, and as a matter of fact has barely thrown a football in 5 years, then I've got a bridge to sell you.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:10 am

I still think Purdy is lacking some physical talent in regards to size and arm strength. He certainly has played well to date. We shall see how he does against top tier competition. Remember, SF made it to the SB once, should have been twice, with Garoppolo, who many people think is absolutely terrible. And he did not have All Pro McCaffrey helping him out.

Imagine SF was having this same success with Trey Lance at QB (and odds are they would have with this incredibly loaded roster), he would be a top 5 dynasty asset.

brward
Rookie
Rookie

Postby brward » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:21 am

remedy29 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:10 am I still think Purdy is lacking some physical talent in regards to size and arm strength. He certainly has played well to date. We shall see how he does against top tier competition. Remember, SF made it to the SB once, should have been twice, with Garoppolo, who many people think is absolutely terrible. And he did not have All Pro McCaffrey helping him out.

Imagine SF was having this same success with Trey Lance at QB (and odds are they would have with this incredibly loaded roster), he would be a top 5 dynasty asset.
I've always wondered how much arm strength/throw velocity can be trained. We're seeing guys on the PGA tour make large gains in club head speed and guys in the MLB increase bat speed. I wonder if that trend will make its way to the NFL.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:28 am

murphysxm wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:03 am

honest question, do you not factor in that he wasn't given more starts because there was widespread agreement by the staff and his teammates that he wasn't ready for the field not matter to you? Willis was benched for Dobbs not because they thought Dobbs was a better prospect, but Willis was simply not ready to play in the NFL. Do you support him as strong as Lance or is it just Lance you prop up? There is a ZERO percent chance if able to do it over, the 49ers make the same move and pay the same cost to acquire him.
Obviously that coaching staff has no clue what they are doing. You talk as though they've had multiple seasons of proven success in the NFL. They are a dumpster fire. :roll: HB obviously puts 0 relevance on anything that doesn't happen on the field during actual games in the NFL season (which is asinine).

Since we are all just speculating: I'd bet a pay check that Lance NEVER starts and plays a full season in the NFL. Ever. Full stop.

Also can't believe no one replied to Mike's assertion that if the 9ers start Purdy next season and keep Lance, that he would be the best backup QB in the entire NFL. That's laughable homer-ism at it's finest. We can't excuse his situation by saying he hasn't been given a chance/we don't even know what he is yet out one side of the mouth, and then simultaneously say he's also the best #2 QB in the NFL.

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:32 am

I honestly feel bad for Lance owners. This was such an incredible and high floor/high ceiling situation to be drafted into, and now this.

Would be like if Baltimore traded Lamar to move up and draft Will Levis at no 2 overall. And then brings in DHop and Bateman stays healthy. Great situation for sure, right? But then in two years, after only 4 starts, he gets replaced by a 7th rounder from Oregon St who looks like an all pro. Yikes.

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:36 am

Brock Brady Purdy gonna make this a QB competition in camp

Nick Foles situation Looms
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:42 am

remedy29 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:10 am I still think Purdy is lacking some physical talent in regards to size and arm strength. He certainly has played well to date. We shall see how he does against top tier competition. Remember, SF made it to the SB once, should have been twice, with Garoppolo, who many people think is absolutely terrible. And he did not have All Pro McCaffrey helping him out.

yep!

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:38 pm

murphysxm wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:03 am

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2022/01 ... mpionship/
^just a reminder: articles like these are why they drafted Trey Lance.

Lance was sat in favor of a veteran QB who took them to NFC championship games... yes, we can agree that Lance "wasn't ready" Day 1 to a team with Superbowl aspirations. "Ready" would be subjective in this case. Because under equal measure, few rookie QBs are "NFL Ready" Week 1. Neither was Lawrence, Z Wilson, or Fields, or many rookie QBs who are historically garbage their first seasons. Any of those guys parachuting on the Niners on draft day and winning a championship? We saw what they did Year One. Trey Lance not being Superbowl Ready Day 1 does not mean he is a bust, has lost this team forever and should be let go. Do you, and others, not honestly see how extreme that overreaction is?

It seems like the real issue is the fanbase, or the fantasy community, spite/regret/whatever you wanna call it, that the Niners spent three 1sts on a QB sitting on their bench, and we can play revisionist history and say they could have used that draft capital to make their team better this year and the next. Because of that, Lance is now being witch hunted because he:
1. didn't go Nuclear Day 1
and
2. got injured

See the article headline I posted at the beginning, "49ers season came down to QB play, and Jimmy Garoppolo couldn't deliver" for the atmosphere surrounding why they overpaid three 1sts for a QB in the first place. In hindsight, yeah it was was probably a mistake. It's easy to say that now with injury clairvoyance. Who's to say Lance doesn't have a Fields level breakout halfway through the season. But not everyone was against taking Lance. The Niners coaching and FO sure weren't. They probably went after Aaron Rodgers, or a better QB and couldn't make it happen. But the expectation of a raw rookie QB leading a team to a Superbowl, and paying full price that's the real issue. I'm guessing that is the root of why Lance is so hated/given up on so quickly vs Lawrence, Fields, Wilson (pre-exposure,) is that those QBs went to bad football teams and poor QB play was expected. It wasn't an issue to give them play time. Lance had no time to be given. That's not his fault. The real kick in the arse in all of this: Brock Purdy is seemingly able to do what he's done so effortlessly, without struggle, is an indictment, A NAIL IN THE COFFIN for Trey Lance............
---------
The problem with that is it's not the same situation. Good football teams can look bad Week 1. Especially with changes. Dialing up a new, high-powered offense with a raw rookie QB, looming controversy, other players/personnel learning new schemes, positioning, timing, figuring out what works, dialing everything in and executing is a lot different than hopping onto a playoff bound team that's been rolling on a 4W streak, with a healthy Kittle as your checkdown safety net, elite pass catching RB CMC, an offense that's already firing on all cylinders Week 13 and the coaches have seen what works what doesn't, etc then just dialing it down for a QB. (See: Nick Foles)

Bottom line is, it's too short of a sample size for both Lance and Purdy. It's Purdy's team right now, obviously because Lance is hurt. But we all play fantasy football. We all know draft capital for QBs matters. It flat out does. I don't know why that's being discarded like it's some Lance-truther meme new to this situation. The heavy draft capital is always going to keep Lance in the discussion. It's nobody's team once this season is over and the QB's will compete against each other in camp.

To say you KNOW this is anyone's team in 2023 is just noise. The "QB competition" tweets and news we all will have to suffer through for yet another off-season in SF are coming.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:51 pm

halfbaked88 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:38 pm
Lance was sat in favor of a veteran QB who took them to NFC championship games... yes, we can agree that Lance "wasn't ready" Day 1 to a team with Superbowl aspirations. "Ready" would be subjective in this case. Because under equal measure, few rookie QBs are "NFL Ready" Week 1. Neither was Lawrence, Z Wilson, or Fields, or many rookie QBs who are historically garbage their first seasons. Any of those guys parachuting on the Niners on draft day and winning a championship? We saw what they did Year One. Trey Lance not being Superbowl Ready Day 1 does not mean he is a bust, has lost this team forever and should be let go. Do you, and others, not honestly see how extreme that overreaction is?

It seems like the real issue is the fanbase, or the fantasy community, spite/regret/whatever you wanna call it, that the Niners spent three 1sts on a QB sitting on their bench, and we can play revisionist history and say they could have used that draft capital to make their team better this year and the next. Because of that, Lance is now being witch hunted because he:
and
2. got injured
I am pretty sure you aren't listening or are choosing not to hear others. I can only speak for me. The 49ers traded up and invested their future because they though the was special. He has not been. He could not beat out a QB that the organization didn't believe was their answer. He didn't show improvement in practice, in learning the playbook or in earning the respect of his teammates. I don't think he is a bust because he has only played in a couple of games. I think he is a bust because he has never proven at the highest level of college or the NFL that he has the skill set to play the position he was drafted at. I have been pretty consistent since day 1. Trey Lance is not an NFL caliber QB. I don't really care when he was drafted or what the investment is. His performance is exactly what I expected. There is no revisionist history, the 49ers gambled and lost. Hearing Purdy being compared to Brady is silly, expecting Trey to be anything else than a hope is also silly. The investment they made is in the past, I believe this is a franchise willing to admit an error and move on.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:41 pm

murphysxm wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:51 pm
halfbaked88 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:38 pm

and
2. got injured
I am pretty sure you aren't listening or are choosing not to hear others. I can only speak for me. The 49ers traded up and invested their future because they though the was special. He has not been. He could not beat out a QB that the organization didn't believe was their answer. He didn't show improvement in practice, in learning the playbook or in earning the respect of his teammates. I don't think he is a bust because he has only played in a couple of games. I think he is a bust because he has never proven at the highest level of college or the NFL that he has the skill set to play the position he was drafted at. I have been pretty consistent since day 1. Trey Lance is not an NFL caliber QB. I don't really care when he was drafted or what the investment is. His performance is exactly what I expected. There is no revisionist history, the 49ers gambled and lost. Hearing Purdy being compared to Brady is silly, expecting Trey to be anything else than a hope is also silly. The investment they made is in the past, I believe this is a franchise willing to admit an error and move on.
He has not been special. That's true. Doesn't mean he isn't or can't be. Even special QBs don't show it in 4 starts. Lance has been held to an impossible standard with minimal start time vs the time given other rookie QBs who have looked MUCH worse, for much longer. I suspect neither of us are listening at this point. A lot of conclusions about him based on training camp. #practice? we talkin' bout practice? The QB he couldn't beat in camp operated that offense and took them to Superbowl and 2 NFC Championship games. I wouldn't consider him a pushover. Rookie Trevor, Fields, and Z Wilson, beating Jimmy G in camp ? I don't think so given their first year performances.

You have a very strong opinion about Trey Lance. That's really all it is based on "not having seen it." Some would call that baseless assumption. If you think Trey Lance doesn't have the skillset to be an NFL caliber QB I think that's just from lack of trying.