FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: 2022 coaching carousel

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:43 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:13 pm
ericanadian wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:30 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:34 pm

Goodbye Staley. Not just a loss, but one of the worst playoff lossses ever.
Not sure Spanos will eat the two years left. Spanos is extremely cheap and Anthony Lynn and Mike McCoy both went three years into their four year contracts and then were given an extension after terrible year threes. Both those extensions were one year deals and I can’t see any details on either of those extensions. I suspect both of those were hollow and just to avoid lame duck status and Spanos was just playing out their contracts to avoid any sort of payout.

They fired Norv with one year left on his deal as well, if you want to go back further. Spanos is a cheap bastard. Embarrassment isn’t going to move him.
Would be interesting if the Spanos' cheapness plays into the Herbert extension negotiations.
Would he give Staley that game ball back? They haven't won since Staley did it.....that would be compensation, at least.

https://twitter.com/DevineGospel/status ... 2604730374

Remember when HOF coach Jimmy Johnson told the owner to stay out of the locker room (or else) paraphrasing, of course. Still. Some people are built differently. Maybe he was doing this for his "get of jail free card"? I hope the Chargers keep this joker...
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:23 am

Staley should probably go, but not because of Williams' injury. Williams gets injured more than a rock star goes to rehab. Heck, didn't he get injured once getting out of his car at McDonalds? It's very possible (likely even) that Williams would have gotten injured early in the wildcard game. The only difference is people wouldn't get to blame the injury on a coach.

If SD is smart, whether or not the team fires Staley they'll trade/cut Williams and not be held hostage by his yearly string of injuries.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:41 am

Anteaters wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:23 am Staley should probably go, but not because of Williams' injury. Williams gets injured more than a rock star goes to rehab. Heck, didn't he get injured once getting out of his car at McDonalds? It's very possible (likely even) that Williams would have gotten injured early in the wildcard game. The only difference is people wouldn't get to blame the injury on a coach.

If SD is smart, whether or not the team fires Staley they'll trade/cut Williams and not be held hostage by his yearly string of injuries.
He played in 16 games last season, only missing part of one game. And then there's this:
"Leading the Chargers with 895 receiving yards in 13 games played this season, Williams' presence on the field has had a great effect on Herbert's third-down passing efficiency. The Chargers quarterback is averaging 7.7 yards per attempt with seven TDs, one interception and a 108.6 passer rating with Williams playing and mustering 5.8 YPA, no TDs, two INTs and a 61.8 passer rating without Williams. The Chargers offense has also averaged 3.5 points and 50-plus yards per game more with Williams in the lineup this season. "

Might be frustrating for fantasy owners (I'm one of them, and would agree it's frustrating), but he makes that team a hell of a lot better then they are without him at all. They'd be dumb to cut Williams or trade him away for peanuts. And yes, Staley should absolutely be criticized and possibly lose his job for playing Williams in a meaningless week 18 game knowing he'd been struggling with injuries this season.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:52 am

Anteaters wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:23 am Williams gets injured more than a rock star goes to rehab.
in the past 5 seasons he's missed 7 games (4 this season).

even i have been to rehab more than that, and i'm not a rock star!

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:00 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:52 am
Anteaters wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:23 am Williams gets injured more than a rock star goes to rehab.
in the past 5 seasons he's missed 7 games (4 this season).

even i have been to rehab more than that, and i'm not a rock star!
Okay, I exaggerated. I guess I mixed up getting injured with the long stretches in his career where he was ineffectual but touted (and I believed) as too talented to overlook. Williams just strikes me as that fantasy player will will never deliver when you really need him. I agree Williams helped SD when healthy in 2022.

And I agree they won't just cut him. But I also think they'd be better off if they could trade him for whatever seems fair value, then acquire another WR who will be more dependable. Maybe I have an irrational bias against Williams, but I don't trust him - as a player.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:40 pm

Anteaters wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:00 am Okay, I exaggerated. I guess I mixed up getting injured with the long stretches in his career where he was ineffectual but touted (and I believed) as too talented to overlook. Williams just strikes me as that fantasy player will will never deliver when you really need him. I agree Williams helped SD when healthy in 2022.
Never let the facts get in the way of a great stroll down narrative street / knee-jerk DLF Forums post.

8-)

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:09 pm

Harbaugh staying at Michigan

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:16 pm

Cardinals have a new GM - Monti Ossenfort.

Only the 2nd GM hire to come from outside the organisation since Joe Sullivan in 1979.

(Feel like that explains a lot)

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:23 pm

mild wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:40 pmNever let the facts get in the way of a great stroll down narrative street / knee-jerk DLF Forums post.
Always a risk. :ewink:
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:46 am

Byron Leftwich let go as Tampa's OC. Would make sense to bring him to Pittsburgh in an assistant capacity. If Canada faceplants again, they'll have a successor available in season.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:50 am

So, Chargers make worst decision possible and fire Lombardi while keeping Staley. This could potentially derail Herbert’s career as I have to assume Staley will be on the hot seat and Herbert could potentially be seeing two new systems over the next two seasons.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:51 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:46 am Byron Leftwich let go as Tampa's OC. Would make sense to bring him to Pittsburgh in an assistant capacity. If Canada faceplants again, they'll have a successor available in season.
He has connections to Pittsburgh, given that he finished his career there. Maybe him and Lombardi will trade jobs.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:03 am

ericanadian wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:51 am
Pullo Vision wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:46 am Byron Leftwich let go as Tampa's OC. Would make sense to bring him to Pittsburgh in an assistant capacity. If Canada faceplants again, they'll have a successor available in season.
He has connections to Pittsburgh, given that he finished his career there. Maybe him and Lombardi will trade jobs.
I imagine Jacksonville is elated he withdrew his name last year as a HC candidate.

Think he may have a tough time getting another OC job let alone a HC after this past year.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:08 am

ericanadian wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:50 am So, Chargers make worst decision possible and fire Lombardi while keeping Staley. This could potentially derail Herbert’s career as I have to assume Staley will be on the hot seat and Herbert could potentially be seeing two new systems over the next two seasons.
Herbert is clearly good enough he's going to be fine no matter who the OC is, it's not going to derail anything he just won't fully reach his potential unless he gets a great OC like any QB. Lombardi is a terrible OC and absolutely had to go, keeping a bad coach for the sake of "stability" is much worse than moving on and trying to find an upgrade. They should be getting rid of Staley as well I agree, but getting a new staff on offense was the bare minimum necessity.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:30 pm

Ice wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:03 am
ericanadian wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:51 am
I imagine Jacksonville is elated he withdrew his name last year as a HC candidate.

Think he may have a tough time getting another OC job let alone a HC after this past year.
Yep, Leftwich was seen as a rising coaching prospect until Arians left. Him returning to Tomlin as an assistant coach makes sense, especially with how they brought in Flores after he was cast off. Maybe he'll be able to rehabilitate his value, though I don't see Canada as someone who can help with that.

The OC job for LAR is still open. If Leftwich wants to develop his scheme coaching ability, that'd be a good long term choice.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def