General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Favorite 2023 Rookies Outside the Top 9

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:02 am

Cherokee wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:45 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:18 am
Cherokee wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:39 am but GMs know there isnt much talent different between Charbonnet and Roschon Johnson.
:think:

Any NFL GM who believes this is not going to be employed for long. There’s a substantial difference in ability there.
One could look at their freshman number when they both were leading their respective backfields. Surely it would show an enormous difference in production in favor of Charbonnet since it was Johnson's first year at the RB position
And you think that’s how NFL GMs make their decisions?

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Cherokee » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:55 am

It's impossible in here sometimes. Im not trying to argue with anyone especially a Bronco Billy . Im stating that there is a huge tier of runningbacks that no one can seem to rank order right now. I like Charbonnet. Like him a ton. My no. 3 RB. I like Johnson a lot as well. If I had to choose Josh Downs in the late 1st and Roschon Johnson in the 3rd, Im doing that over Charbonnet in the late first and Tank Dell in the 3rd. And the gap just isnt big enough that an NFL GM would have to take Charbonnet or Tank Bigsby or Zach Evans 2 and a half rounds ahead of Roschon Johnson or Mo Ibraham or Izzy Abanakanda . The names at RB in this class may just not matter that much after Gibbs. They are all average to good Running Backs.
Last edited by Cherokee on Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
12 Team 1QB IDP Full PPR Start 8
QB- Rodgers, D. Jones, Lock, Penix
RB- Chase Brown, Gus, Rico, Keaton Mitchell, Dillion Johnson, K. Ingram,Eli Mitchell
WR- Nabers, Rondale Moore, Jordan Addison, Chris Olave, A.T. Perry, Rashid Shaheed,J. Baker
TE- Bowers, Chig, Cade Otten
LB- E. Cooper, Q. Walker, Troy Anderson
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
DB- Brisker, Hufanga

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:58 am

How good is Roschon Johnson? I watched some tape and he looks like a gem with an all around skillset, great size and athleticism, solid production on lower volume just stuck behind all world Bijan

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Cherokee » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:05 am

dondickenson wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:58 am How good is Roschon Johnson? I watched some tape and he looks like a gem with an all around skillset, great size and athleticism, solid production on lower volume just stuck behind all world Bijan
I think he is an excellent football player. Number 1 QB in the State of Texas coming into college ball. Turned RB his Freshman year. Is he better than Charbonnet or Bigsby, or Evans? Maybe not. But if anyone says they know that for a fact, I'll call bullshit.
RB- Chase Brown, Gus, Rico, Keaton Mitchell, Dillion Johnson, K. Ingram,Eli Mitchell
WR- Nabers, Rondale Moore, Jordan Addison, Chris Olave, A.T. Perry, Rashid Shaheed,J. Baker
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
DB- Brisker, Hufanga

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:16 am

dondickenson wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:58 am How good is Roschon Johnson? I watched some tape and he looks like a gem with an all around skillset, great size and athleticism, solid production on lower volume just stuck behind all world Bijan
He's one of the most interesting backs in this class to me. Obviously sat behind Bijan, but whenever he had opportunity, he popped. If he runs well for his size (6'2, 225) he could end up as a Round 2-3 choice.

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Cherokee » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:21 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:16 am
He's one of the most interesting backs in this class to me. Obviously sat behind Bijan, but whenever he had opportunity, he popped. If he runs well for his size (6'2, 225) he could end up as a Round 2-3 choice.
👍
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
DB- Brisker, Hufanga

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:45 am

Cherokee wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:05 am
I think he is an excellent football player. Number 1 QB in the State of Texas coming into college ball. Turned RB his Freshman year. Is he better than Charbonnet or Bigsby, or Evans? Maybe not. But if anyone says they know that for a fact, I'll call bullshit.
No one knows anything about any future success in the NFL as a fact. That’s why a sure thing can’t miss stud like Trent Richardson goes 1.03 in the NFL draft, is every FFer’s dream cornerstone back and then has a short and undistinguished career while Tom Brady lasts until the 6th round in the NFL draft, is overlooked in all but deep FF drafts as a late round dart throw and ends up as arguably the GOAT QB in NFL history.

You can’t tell with any certainty how a player is going to translate as they elevate to with next level. But IMO the best barometer is watching tape of on field performance, and then not of highlight reel material. I like to look at players when they get into situations that are similar to the next level - how a QB performs when his WRs are overmatched and the throwing windows are very small, or how a RB responds when his linemen can’t blow away the DL and are then creating havoc sealing off LBs and destroying DBs but rather when the seams are skinny and open for only a second and the RB is faced with reacting quickly and creating something out of next to nothing.

So I agree - there is no crystal ball that says with absolute judgment that Johnson won’t be all that. But from the perspective we have right now I see potential shortcomings in his game that others like Charbonnet don’t have. It seems like you may not, so we come here to discuss, debate, and at least from my perspective to learn.

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Cherokee » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:57 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:45 am
Cherokee wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:05 am
No one knows anything about any future success in the NFL as a fact. That’s why a sure thing can’t miss stud like Trent Richardson goes 1.03 in the NFL draft, is every FFer’s dream cornerstone back and then has a short and undistinguished career while Tom Brady lasts until the 6th round in the NFL draft, is overlooked in all but deep FF drafts as a late round dart throw and ends up as arguably the GOAT QB in NFL history.

You can’t tell with any certainty how a player is going to translate as they elevate to with next level. But IMO the best barometer is watching tape of on field performance, and then not of highlight reel material. I like to look at players when they get into situations that are similar to the next level - how a QB performs when his WRs are overmatched and the throwing windows are very small, or how a RB responds when his linemen can’t blow away the DL and are then creating havoc sealing off LBs and destroying DBs but rather when the seams are skinny and open for only a second and the RB is faced with reacting quickly and creating something out of next to nothing.

So I agree - there is no crystal ball that says with absolute judgment that Johnson won’t be all that. But from the perspective we have right now I see potential shortcomings in his game that others like Charbonnet don’t have. It seems like you may not, so we come here to discuss, debate, and at least from my perspective to learn.
I was only using those two names as an example. The tier is that large IMO. Like I said, it could be Roschon and Tank or Tucker and McIntosh. My whole point is, No GM wants to be the first one to spend capital on the first RB in a giant tier of similar so we might see all these RBs fall in the draft and it has nothing to do with talent. I think you read R. Johnson > Charbonnet. Im saying they could be very similar players and sited their freshman numbers which are very similar even given the fact it was Johnson's first year at RB. GM will lose his job when he continues to pick the dope in the 2nd and cant identify the gem in the 6th
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
DB- Brisker, Hufanga

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:17 am

Cherokee wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:57 pm My whole point is, No GM wants to be the first one to spend capital on the first RB in a giant tier of similar so we might see all these RBs fall in the draft and it has nothing to do with talent.
And as I stated earlier, I disagree. That is not a reason sny credible GM uses to bypass a player that they see as talented enough to merit a pick at that point and a fit for their team. I’m guessing most GMs don’t see the RBs bunched as a large similar group like you do. I certainly don’t. That’s where I see your assumption falling apart.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:21 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:17 am
Cherokee wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:57 pm My whole point is, No GM wants to be the first one to spend capital on the first RB in a giant tier of similar so we might see all these RBs fall in the draft and it has nothing to do with talent.
And as I stated earlier, I disagree. That is not a reason sny credible GM uses to bypass a player that they see as talented enough to merit a pick at that point and a fit for their team. I’m guessing most GMs don’t see the RBs bunched as a large similar group like you do. I certainly don’t. That’s where I see your assumption falling apart.
I agree with this. I don't think most GM's look at it that way. I also think teams have their own evals that are often quite different than the public media draft analysis. They trust their scouts and their own POV. My guess is teams will have stronger preferences among the "non-elite" RB prospects. They won't look at it as a "tier" the way we do when we often talk about fantasy drafting.

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Cherokee » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:19 am

tstafford wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:21 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:17 am
I agree with this. I don't think most GM's look at it that way. I also think teams have their own evals that are often quite different than the public media draft analysis. They trust their scouts and their own POV. My guess is teams will have stronger preferences among the "non-elite" RB prospects. They won't look at it as a "tier" the way we do when we often talk about fantasy drafting.
This year is a the first time in a long time there have been so many decent RB prospects. Real NFL and fantasy. I never have been huge on them going day 2 becuase of the number of prospects available. If Evans Tucker Bigsby or Miller any earlier than mid 3rd round or even ahead of Achane or McIntosh, I will eat crow.
But yes I do see what both of you guys are saying. Some like Evans, some like Bigsby, some like others more and its not a tier unless all GMs think the same.
I will stop now
Thanks, Guys
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
DB- Brisker, Hufanga

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:34 pm

I guess technically we should be listing our rankings #10 - 15 or whatever, but I'm just going to share some guys that are outside the 9 you listed that I am higher on than consensus:

Kendre Miller - I think he's the guy who everyone wants Zach Evans to be. Evans might be as well, but Miller is big (6'0" 220lbs) and runs with a great blend of power / elusiveness. Runs behind his pads like a true 220lb+ RB should, but also has lateral agility like a 200lb RB typically does. Just 20 years old. Runs very low to the ground and doesn't really have any weakness in his game.

Israel Abanikanda - Another RB that should measure well (5'11" 215lbs) and test well - he's got breakaway speed. Wasn't heavily involved as a receiver as much this year, but is great with the ball in space, and physical enough to run between the tackles. Should post a great speed score among RBs (along with Miller).

Deuce Vaughn - I know, I know, he's tiny. But he's built thick and can actually run between the tackles well enough (he's not good, just not horrible) that it'll be hard for NFL teams to take him off the field and lose his ability in space. He's has such fluid movement & footwork, honestly the best I've seen from anyone since Barry Sanders. Great receiving back, can run legit routes and make defenders look silly in the open field. I recognize there's a good chance he's never a 250+ touch RB in the NFL, but I'll spend a mid/late second on this guy.

Jalin Hyatt - It's not that he'd crack my top4 WR rankings, but I like him just as much as the next group of WRs (Flowers / Downs / etc.) but I rarely hear him discussed as such. Think he has the best chance outside of the top4 of being a real-life NFL 1st round pick simply because of his speed. Has a long ways to go as a route runner, but man the guy can legit fly. Wouldn't surprise me if he is a riser once he posts a 4.3 forty and gets late D1 / early D2 draft capital.
10-team/.5 PPR Q RR WWW TE FF
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Coleman, AD Mitchell
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram

12-team PPR/SF/TEP (+1PPR) Q RR WW TE FFF SF
QB - J. Hurts / D. Prescott / J. Love / B. Nix
RB - J. Taylor / K. Walker / J. Mixon / J. Brooks / D. Singletary / J. McLaughlin
WR - B. Aiyuk / K. Allen / S. Diggs / R. Odunze / X. Worthy / T. Franklin / J. Palmer / G. Davis / R. Doubs
TE - M. Andrews / D. Kincaid

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:49 pm

kmbryant09 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:34 pm
Jalin Hyatt - It's not that he'd crack my top4 WR rankings, but I like him just as much as the next group of WRs (Flowers / Downs / etc.) but I rarely hear him discussed as such. Think he has the best chance outside of the top4 of being a real-life NFL 1st round pick simply because of his speed. Has a long ways to go as a route runner, but man the guy can legit fly. Wouldn't surprise me if he is a riser once he posts a 4.3 forty and gets late D1 / early D2 draft capital.
Addison, JSN, QJ, ?

Who is #4?
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:53 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:49 pm
kmbryant09 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:34 pm
Addison, JSN, QJ, ?

Who is #4?
Boutte probably

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:36 pm

or Downs.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def