Championship Game Bad Beat Question

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
BlackOmega
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Championship Game Bad Beat Question

Postby BlackOmega » Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:14 pm

honcho55 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:01 pm <snip>

Edit: imagine this game gets resumed and the difference is a title, or an empire pot. That's a HUGE gripe, imo.
Sounds like this is not going to happen, probably the only reason it hasn't been officially announced is that the NFL is figuring out exactly how the playoffs will be set / seedings determined. I would expect we'll hear a formal announcement tomorrow since depending on the solution the NFL arrives at there may be changes to the playoffs scenarios in this weekend's games

natjjohn
Role Player
Role Player

Postby natjjohn » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:00 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:47 pm
natjjohn wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:34 am For most was co-champs and pot splits as were debateable circumstances and want to be fair. Score as is seems so dumb. In one, conceded as was so lopsided would’ve taken a miracle of miracles. That seemed fine.

Really leaving up to the title participants to reach a consensus. Seems obvious the game is never gonna be played to get 8 minutes of play time and act like the game was played is dumb.

Don’t think a one size fits all but ultimately think MFL did it well with letting leagues decide
Not sure why you'd say that......because of Schefter's comments? Curious. That game having "bad mojo" is probably the worst reason I've heard for not playing it. It's crazy to think they are going to make the Bills play an extra game, since the Bills had the bye until this happened, but it seems the NFL is going to make some wonky decision.
Said it because it was obvious as soon as the Bills flew from Cincinnati Monday, became more obvious when they didn’t get scheduled to play Tuesday, supremely obvious when no game Wednesday, and 100% confirmed a little awhile ago

wretch
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby wretch » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:33 pm

Our Championship game was in the balance. 3 players left for 1 team and 1 player left for the other (with a nice lead, though not a certain victory).

We decided the night of the BUF-CIN game that if the game resumed we'd pick it up. otherwise it would be a no contest and co-champs so that's what we did. It's not entirely satisfying but is fair given an unprecedented circumstance.

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:50 pm

What my league decided to do:

as the commish, and being down by like 28 points with Chase and Milano left to play it felt wrong for me to have to make any decision. We left it up to the rest of the league to determine how we'd find a winner. After discussion it was pretty clear neither myself or my opponent felt right about taking the win through any means other than them playing the game.

We landed on co-champs. It for sure loses the luster, but we essentially decided to divide the perks evenly between us and have made the decision to distribute any leftover winnings to charity (probably damar's)

Again, you lose the bragging rights, but those would have had an asterisk next to them regardless. Good reminder for everyone that some things are bigger than football, even though we love the hell out of it
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:18 pm

natjjohn wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:00 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:47 pm
natjjohn wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:34 am For most was co-champs and pot splits as were debateable circumstances and want to be fair. Score as is seems so dumb. In one, conceded as was so lopsided would’ve taken a miracle of miracles. That seemed fine.

Really leaving up to the title participants to reach a consensus. Seems obvious the game is never gonna be played to get 8 minutes of play time and act like the game was played is dumb.

Don’t think a one size fits all but ultimately think MFL did it well with letting leagues decide
Not sure why you'd say that......because of Schefter's comments? Curious. That game having "bad mojo" is probably the worst reason I've heard for not playing it. It's crazy to think they are going to make the Bills play an extra game, since the Bills had the bye until this happened, but it seems the NFL is going to make some wonky decision.
Said it because it was obvious as soon as the Bills flew from Cincinnati Monday, became more obvious when they didn’t get scheduled to play Tuesday, supremely obvious when no game Wednesday, and 100% confirmed a little awhile ago
They could have fixed it though, but yeah, I get your point. The NFL is just making more and more decisions I don't understand (edit: agree with), and I am just not really getting into their gimmicks anymore, it's obviously about money and TV deals, and PR, after the Tua debacle, and the narratives on mainstream media just seemed so over the top. We all want the young man to be well, but it was a whole bunch of crocodile tears, IMO. The mainstream media outlets talking heads and their acting, IDK, I should have seen this coming.

There's little integrity in pro sports these days, especially since the gambling came in.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

henry1jg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby henry1jg » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:16 am

Hey there, I just wanted to share what we ended up doing with my league. I know a lot of you are still up in the air, so I wanted to present another opportunity to see what another league is doing. It's been very sad reading all of the different stuff. A lot of leagues are going to fold, a lot of friendships are ruined, but I don't think it really needs to be that way. Below I have posted what I just sent to my lead last night after speaking with the two owners playing for the championship. Good luck out there. Hope you can all come to an amicable finish.

"Alright, so I have spent an ungodly amount of time this week searching FF forums, Reddit, and speaking with others that commish and play in leagues to see how they were handling this situation. Obviously this is a completely unique situation that none of us has experienced, not even during the COVID madness. I compiled a list of the ideas I was finding and met with the two players in the championship to present ideas. I told them if they could not agree to a resolution, then they will be splitting the pot, and be co-champions.

After a lengthy conversation, the two mamagers agreed to split the pot and play heads up with a reduced wk 18 lineup, insulating them from players potentially sitting due to playoff ramifications. Both will be starting 3 offensive players (no QBs) and two IDP. No trades, no waivers. Play what you have. Winner is the HFFL Champion.

I'm not sure yet if I can alter the settings to make them play one another on the stat tracker, but I will try. If this game somehow ends in a tie, I'll be parking myself at my buddies bar and drinking til I black out while these two accept their fate as co-champs. Prepare the bourbon, it's just been that kinda year.

We will be working on a long term solution for scenarios such as these this offseason to hopefully insulate us from having such a crazy ending. I'm ready for it to be over."
Barrow Snowmen- 14 team - 0.5 PPR, IDP - Yr 19
Jacksonville Jaguars - 32 team - Real GM - Yr 13
Barrow Snowmen #2 - 14 team - SF, PPR - Yr 2
Jimmy Graham Cracker wrote:Don't let your recency bias affect your judgment.

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:13 am

murphysxm wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:32 am
By simply looking at this thread it is pretty clear there is no undeniable one solution for this week. This is unprecedented. Glad to hear you are so sure your way is undeniably correct though.....
THANK YOU! I was thinking this as well.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:11 pm

Down 13. PPR. 6 pt passing TDs.

I have Josh Allen and am down 13 points
He has Mixon and Gabe Davis

No one wanted co-champs. No one wanted no contest. 4 or 5 owners wanted score to go final. I wanted to re-run the 3 players in week 18 or week 1 of playoffs. 1 or 2 owners agree with me.

Problem is I am the commish also. Other owner not willing to discuss any options only wants game finalized and him marked winner and anything else I do I am doing because I have "the power" to do so (under best interests of the league and not covered in bylaws).

I marked it final but mad about it. Would not have marked it final if another owner was in game and did not agree to mark it final.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

drobes
Starter
Starter

Postby drobes » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:15 pm

_yeti wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:11 pm Down 13. PPR. 6 pt passing TDs.

No one wanted co-champs. No one wanted no contest. 4 or 5 owners wanted score to go final. I wanted to re-run the 3 players in week 18 or week 1 of playoffs. 1 or 2 owners agree with me.

Problem is I am the commish also. Other owner not willing to discuss any options only wants game finalized and him marked winner and anything else I do I am doing because I have "the power" to do so (under best interests of the league and not covered in bylaws).

I marked it final but mad about it. Would not have marked it final if another owner was in game and did not agree to mark it final.
Wow that's a tough one. I think I would have handled it the same way you did, but that sucks. I wouldn't feel good about it.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:53 pm

Not sure if anyone cares - split the pot in the league I run. That's what both owners agreed to do so it was basically their call. They are co-champs.

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:46 pm

I think you're right to be mad, and I wouldn't blame you for no longer even wanting to share a league with players like that tbh.

I know some folks on here see it differently, but I just don't understand how anyone that was slightly ahead in the finals, with players still to go (so no blowouts), could possibly see this situation as anything else than a 'once in a lifetime' scenario that warrants some good will towards their league mates and especially their commish, and a willingness to help finish this final in a fair and probably unusual matter.

In all seriousness, after what happened on that field, how could you even enjoy or feel pride over a victory under those circumstances? Congrats, you won the championship game by a bunch of star players (people) being so traumatized by their friend and co-worker dying and being revived on field that nobody in their right mind could ask them to continue playing a game. :thumbdown:

I was down 55 in one of my 3 finals, in a very enjoyable money league against someone I don't know and have rarely interacted with in all the years in the league. I had Allen, Chase and Davis left. Before the commish even had to say anything we decided to split the pot and be ok with whatever solution he was going to come up with to determine the champion (which ended up being counting their scores in week 18) . I honestly think our league is stronger for it. Everyone just kind of wanted to not cause a fuss and find the best solution for all involved. It was that way in all of my leagues honestly, from my only free one to $250 buy in, and I really appreciated it in every single one.

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:02 pm

F*** that guy. I get what you did but next time treat yourself as well as anyone else in the league and toss the b**** out if he throws a fit. Your league will be better for it.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

PBFalcon
Starter
Starter

Postby PBFalcon » Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:57 pm

Just wanted to join the thread and lament a championship that should have been. I was down by 2 pts with Mixon and chase still to play before the game that was cancelled. My opponent had no one left. It was going to be an easy victory ... Well I am commish. My opponent la only compromise he would make is that we be Co-Champions. I hate it. I don't think that's the fair or best way to handle it, but I accepted. If I enforced anything else the league would have cried foul. They didn't like that we just agreed to be Co-Champions without a vote.
Poop on this season. Being Co-Champions stinks when you should have been the lone Victor.
Rant over.
10 team dynasty began 2016
Standard scoring (no PPR, all TDs 6pts)
Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 K, 1 Def

2018 2nd
2019 2nd
2020 CHAMP
2021 2nd
2022 *co-champ...yuck

QB: P Mahomes
RB: J Taylor, T Etienne, D Swift, B Robinson Jr, J Mixon, J Gibbs, Z Charbonnet, R Johnson, J Wilson
WR: J Jefferson, J Chase, J Waddle, DK Metcalf, J Addison, T Dell, J Downs, M Williams, K Toney, , C Claypool
TE: K Pitts, G Kittle
K: Stream
Def: SF

2024 picks: 1 (early/mid), 1 ,2 3 (early/mid), 3, 4, 5, 6

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:53 pm

Oddball456 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:26 am I fell like maybe I should have just conceded as I was only projected a 16% to win before the start of the game. I am down 119 to 248 but have J Allen, Diggs, Chase, and Mixon + 1 LB from the MNF game, while my opponent only has 1 LB left. I just consider those 2 LB a wash. Am I wrong for not just conceding considering I am down 130 points? PPR with 6 points for all TDs. Basically if Allen gets 40 (he scored 37+ 4 times in 2022) and my other 3 players average 30 points each Diggs (~3 times at 30), Chase (~4 times), Mixon (1 time, but 55 points) I would win.
To follow up, the other team that had an 84% chance of winning was fine just splitting the pot, I knew that wasn't right given he was so likley to win. So we agreed he is champion and the only adjustment is i got $50 extra payout from his pot for the slim chance my team would have pulled out the win. So the payout was $400/$300 instead of $450/$250.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:48 am

SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:02 pm
F*** that guy. I get what you did but next time treat yourself as well as anyone else in the league and toss the b**** out if he throws a fit. Your league will be better for it.
Thanks man. It was a horrible place to be in and I get punished by doing extra uncompensated work as commish because then I can't advocate for myself without it having the air of *the commish is doing this to us*

Also, appreciate that coming from the guy who absolutely skewered me in the long run when I was an a**hole on whether CPatt could be an RB (I didn't forget!).

As a funny aside, my redraft has gone for 16 years now and I had NINE years of 2nd or 3rd place finishes and never a championship.

I finally got the ship... and started... CPatt at RB. What goes around comes around, eh?
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant