End of season waiver wire pickups

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: End of season waiver wire pickups

Postby halfbaked88 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:32 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:56 pm Well, I’ve been wrong enough times before. If Ford ends up having value as a FF asset I’ll stop in and admit I was wrong about him. Until then..
You're prepared to die on this hill. Seems kinda odd for such a low value player. Like scoffing at somebody picking a penny up off the street. I just flat out added Jerome Ford, not even a waiver claim. 12 team dynasty league, 1QB, 21 man roster. Shallow league. He's probably unowned in a ton of leagues. I have so many seemingly worthless RBs stashed it's not even funny. You know what the WORST possible outcome is for carrying him? .... *I end up dropping him.* oh lawd no. I'm not exactly mortgaging my future here.

I think you're fundamentally flawed in the reasoning people carry these RB Jerome Ford type players.

We aren't betting on the player. I don't even have to see him play. I just go off what the team does. It could literally say "CLE 3rd string RB" as his name and I would be mildly interested in it based on the fact that the NFL team placed him on a 53 man roster. The thing about Ford is we haven't seen him as the starter there. But he COULD BE. In the same way Zonovan Knight is now. Hunt gets released. Chubb gets injured. Simple as that.

Ford isn't a Craig Reynolds or Justice Hill or somebody who's been in a vacated backfield and looked slow or hasn't been trusted with a workload. Jerome Ford is largely unknown, whether you believe it or not, has upside because Chubb/Hunt haven't been injured the way Breece Hall/Michael Carter has.

I brought up Zonovan Knight because he was on the PRACTICE SQUAD for more than half the season. If Breece hadn't gotten injured you'd probably be going, "he can't even get on the active roster!!"

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:28 pm

D’Ernest Johnson hasn’t exactly been dominating snaps or touches this year, but we know he’s very capable of solid production when given an opportunity in this offense. Not sure why Ford couldn’t.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:40 am

SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:57 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:31 am
BabyChark23 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:21 am

Bah humbug!
Hey, I’m still pimping Strachan so I get that there is irrational love of some players. I just don’t quite get it with Ford, that’s all.
To me it’s the only guy with a potential clear path to starting. Will he? Highly unlikely. But most rbs at this point have either had their shot or still have 2-3 guys ahead of them now, and we still have the draft looming. I’d place like a 5th round value on him. Most guys don’t even have that right now.

Same reason I picked up Corral. Probably a nothing but less between him and starting than most. Again, very long shot.

I do like the Strachan call. I had a bid on him after Ford and Moss. He has been on my roster of off several times through the years and feels like it’s starting to clog it.
I like to know what you traded to get those 6 2023 1st? you have a start of a very nice team...
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:14 am

Tvols wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:40 am
SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:57 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:31 am

Hey, I’m still pimping Strachan so I get that there is irrational love of some players. I just don’t quite get it with Ford, that’s all.
To me it’s the only guy with a potential clear path to starting. Will he? Highly unlikely. But most rbs at this point have either had their shot or still have 2-3 guys ahead of them now, and we still have the draft looming. I’d place like a 5th round value on him. Most guys don’t even have that right now.

Same reason I picked up Corral. Probably a nothing but less between him and starting than most. Again, very long shot.

I do like the Strachan call. I had a bid on him after Ford and Moss. He has been on my roster of off several times through the years and feels like it’s starting to clog it.
I like to know what you traded to get those 6 2023 1st? you have a start of a very nice team...

A lot of them were traded before the 22 season. Jeudy for a 23 1st, Elijah Moore in the preseason for a 23 1st. Toney for a 23 1st when he was traded to the Chiefs. One of the early ones was traded to Taco 2 years ago(everyone is always in a race for this owners 1st. Dude just keeps playing. Has been playing for years and it’s always a top 3 pick). A late 1st that was part of a Herbert for a Kyler and 2 very late 1sts(Looks kind of gross now). And my own 1st.

Looking back I can see how important patience and timing was(and luck!). Sold Jeudybafter the studs trade when hype was high. Sold Toney after KC paid up for him and no one else there was shining. Sold Elijah Moore preseason when everyone was so high on him. Taco is taco. Kyler trade seemed like it was close but enough. Kept my own since I knew I’d be rebuilding. Have 1.02,1,03,1.06, and tbd on the other three
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:37 am

j4pac wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:01 am If Shaheed is still available in your league, I’d get him. Really impressive rookie for the Saints. He’s pretty much their #2 WR right now and returns kicks.

Mayfield was in a league converting to SF next year…so I got him. Why not? I also got Daniel Jones a few weeks ago. Can’t get enough QBs in SF. Pretty much any RB with any level of upside should be rostered. Ford for Cleveland, for example.
I'm all in on Shaheed - have him in all 3 leagues. Actually started him this week over Dotson in a wildcard playoff round as my WR2 - with Kupp, Deebo, Collins all out. Really like him for next year.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:31 pm

halfbaked88 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:32 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:56 pm Well, I’ve been wrong enough times before. If Ford ends up having value as a FF asset I’ll stop in and admit I was wrong about him. Until then..
You're prepared to die on this hill. Seems kinda odd for such a low value player. Like scoffing at somebody picking a penny up off the street. I just flat out added Jerome Ford, not even a waiver claim. 12 team dynasty league, 1QB, 21 man roster. Shallow league. He's probably unowned in a ton of leagues. I have so many seemingly worthless RBs stashed it's not even funny. You know what the WORST possible outcome is for carrying him? .... *I end up dropping him.* oh lawd no. I'm not exactly mortgaging my future here.

I think you're fundamentally flawed in the reasoning people carry these RB Jerome Ford type players.

We aren't betting on the player. I don't even have to see him play. I just go off what the team does. It could literally say "CLE 3rd string RB" as his name and I would be mildly interested in it based on the fact that the NFL team placed him on a 53 man roster. The thing about Ford is we haven't seen him as the starter there. But he COULD BE. In the same way Zonovan Knight is now. Hunt gets released. Chubb gets injured. Simple as that.

Ford isn't a Craig Reynolds or Justice Hill or somebody who's been in a vacated backfield and looked slow or hasn't been trusted with a workload. Jerome Ford is largely unknown, whether you believe it or not, has upside because Chubb/Hunt haven't been injured the way Breece Hall/Michael Carter has.

I brought up Zonovan Knight because he was on the PRACTICE SQUAD for more than half the season. If Breece hadn't gotten injured you'd probably be going, "he can't even get on the active roster!!"
I personally don’t care much about Ford one way or the other because I have no interest in rostering him. You can see by the level and amount of reactions to my thoughts about him that more than a couple people are high on him. I’m just not seeing it. Talent finds the field and he hasn’t. Yet at least. That’s all. I might very well be wrong, we’ll have to wait and see.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:35 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:31 pm

I personally don’t care much about Ford one way or the other because I have no interest in rostering him. You can see by the level and amount of reactions to my thoughts about him that more than a couple people are high on him. I’m just not seeing it. Talent finds the field and he hasn’t. Yet at least. That’s all. I might very well be wrong, we’ll have to wait and see.
I don't give two shots about Ford. My problem is the process you've used to dismiss him. Knight has had opportunity due to injury, Ford has not. If you think Ford doesn't have value because he didn't shove aside Chubb or Hunt, I can only imagine all the other RBs you ignore.

You use whatever method you want, I just don't want others to think it's a good process and go along with you.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:04 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:25 pm CLE doesn’t seem to see much value in him as a RB, either running or catching the football. That severe of a lack of work seems to show that CLE isn’t nearly as excited about Ford as a RB as you seem to be.
d'ernest johnson isn't getting much of a run either, and they know he can run for a 100 yards in a game and have given him a contract to stay with the team in the past offseason. so i question the "he's not used = they don't think he's any good" equation.

also, d'ernest johnson had a good game when chubb went down in 2020 (he was mainly used as a kick returner at the time) and was a hot waiver pickup, then the following game had 8 carries for 32 yards (week 5), and then 11 carries for the rest of the season. the trajectory isn't too dissimilar from ford's actually, and after that season where it could be argued that they didn't think much of d'ernest because even with an injured chubb his carries went down rather than up, he stayed on the team and played very well when needed (168 and 157 total yards in two games as the starter, plus another 123 yards game in week 17), and d'earned another contract. so the "don't use him ---> don't like him" assumption doesn't look like a good one to me.

with hunt most likely gone, he has a shot at a good role. a long shot maybe. but a possible RB2 for the browns at next to zero cost seems as good a dart throw as it gets (and better than strachan! :angel: )

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:02 pm

Have heard John Metchie mentioned as a stash, especially if you project a QB draftee and Cooks being on another team.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:50 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:12 pm
Just added Ford, he was available in ONE of my four leagues. Dropped a second DEF I had on my roster for him. Stoked.
I can think of no scenario I would rather carry a 2nd dst over a rb with any chance of production.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:57 pm

murphysxm wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:50 pm
Just added Ford, he was available in ONE of my four leagues. Dropped a second DEF I had on my roster for him. Stoked.
I can think of no scenario I would rather carry a 2nd dst over a rb with any chance of production.
Agree.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:57 pm

murphysxm wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:50 pm
Start 2 DST leagues :lol:

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:13 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:35 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:31 pm

I don't give two shots about Ford. My problem is the process you've used to dismiss him. Knight has had opportunity due to injury, Ford has not. If you think Ford doesn't have value because he didn't shove aside Chubb or Hunt, I can only imagine all the other RBs you ignore.

You use whatever method you want, I just don't want others to think it's a good process and go along with you.
Well, if you think rostering a RB with the second fewest rushing attempts in the league over that number of games played is a great idea, then I’m guessing you’re trying to roster every FA RB in your league. No one is saying he has to be better than Chubb or Hunt to see the field - nice strawman argument there - just that he should have enough talent at RB if you’re going to roster him that his coaches think enough of him to give him more than 3 carries over 9 games, of which he had 0 carries cumulative over 8 of those games.

If you think that’s a poor thought process, well you just keep rostering players who play half a season or more and don’t touch the football (I’m guessing you won’t have any leaguemates burning up the internet to roster those guys on your WW).

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:21 pm

@Bronco I'm guessing you've never felt the miracle of a RB getting 0 touches for 9+ weeks then end up singlehandedly winning you a championship in key weeks 14-16 absolutely crushing the world *out.of.no.where*

Tim Hightower - 2015. Look up this absolute legendary tale.

This was a RB at the END of his career. On his 3rd team. He was 29 or 30 years old. He was simply in a backfield known for producing RB points. (Like CLE now) He was a nobody. (like Ford)

There are people starting Latavius Murray in their champ weeks this year. He is 32 years old. Week 15 he scored +20pts. There are people who won their playoff match-up because of him.

These aren't outliers. This is something that happens all the freaking time. RB is the one position where you can hand him the ball 20 times and he just magically scores Top 5 at the position for the week.

They don't earn that spotlight through talent. They earned it because opportunity literally fell in their laps. Due to injury.

I don't know how anyone who's been playing fantasy football for any moderate length can't think of a time when a rotten ham sandwich of a RB has emerged from the abyss (due to injury) and become a savior on their football team.

It happens every year.

What I'm hearing from you is you cannot fathom a world where Jerome Ford, and perhaps any 3rd string RB in the NFL, can ever take over a backfield and get 20+ touches due to injury. You could write a book with the amount of times that's happened and will continue to.

This is why we stash players like Jerome Ford. Not because we think he's more talented than the guys ahead of him.

The real point being: He doesn't have to be. He just has to be: there. Whenever the opportunity comes.

If your taxi can accept Year 2 players then guys like Ford are the perfect stashes.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:55 pm

Shane Zylstra to replace Hocks' TE production. He is a former receiver and had a 3 TD game last week. Converted to the position after not getting picked up as a receiver. Thank me later.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D