FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Elijah Mitchell thread

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed May 25, 2022 9:14 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:10 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:51 am
frerichs5 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:33 am

I don’t disagree. 2nd rounders are crapshoots too. But no one is saying you have to pick a player with that pick either. Trade it for a known player. Use it to upgrade a player. Etc.
Yeah, people say this a lot in general, when talking about picks. You don't have to pick players with them. Picks are basically the most liquid asset in this game. EVERYBODY wants them. There are usually only a handful of teams that want a certain player in your leagues, other than the top elite guys. So if you have reservations about a player, say a guy you originally drafted in the 3rd round, and you can move him for a 2nd plus, or even a 2nd, then it's a great way to build your team the way you want, because you've made a move that gains you value. Picks are so good for getting deals done, on players that you believe in.
I think the point being willfully missed by those who think they are 4 steps away from turning a current 4th round pick into a 1st rounder 3 years down the road or an elite position player in 4 years is that had people traded away Mitchell as advised they would have taken a very likely diminished value in return.

That difference in value between Michell and any future value could be huge if Mitchell captures and holds that SF RB1 position for a meaningful time. And it could be that Mitchell ends up being the asset that the trading owner is going to go through several trades and years hoping - and it is nothing more than hoping - to acquire in the first place.
Yeah. I was talking in general terms, and also stated it's down to the FF owner's subjective belief in the player. If you believe Mitchell will gain value, you obviously hold. If you believe he's at peak value, and can make a profit off of your original investment, you trade him.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed May 25, 2022 9:16 am

JFever wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:10 am
dynastyninja wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:08 pm
alewilliam789 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:03 am

I do not get this take.

Has an ability to string together multiple cutbacks, good route runner out of the backfield with soft hands, can break tackles, and has break away speed.

His biggest issue is whether he can take a massive load with his frame because imo he’s much better than either Wilson or TDP
I don't think it's outrageous to not be high on an RB drafted in the 6th round. He just doesn't look very good in my opinion.
Makes me wonder what you are and are not seeing when you watch Mitchell play. The production is clear as is the injury risk factor. Draft capital shouldn't be used too heavily at this point in my opinion. It occurs to me that this opinion and blunt assessment of E.Mitchell might be tied to T.Sermon ownership.
It's funny because I've been assuming most of his supporters were owners. I don't own either Mitchell or Sermon, no shares in the SFO backfield for me.

frerichs5
MVP
MVP

Postby frerichs5 » Wed May 25, 2022 9:20 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:10 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:51 am
frerichs5 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:33 am

I don’t disagree. 2nd rounders are crapshoots too. But no one is saying you have to pick a player with that pick either. Trade it for a known player. Use it to upgrade a player. Etc.
Yeah, people say this a lot in general, when talking about picks. You don't have to pick players with them. Picks are basically the most liquid asset in this game. EVERYBODY wants them. There are usually only a handful of teams that want a certain player in your leagues, other than the top elite guys. So if you have reservations about a player, say a guy you originally drafted in the 3rd round, and you can move him for a 2nd plus, or even a 2nd, then it's a great way to build your team the way you want, because you've made a move that gains you value. Picks are so good for getting deals done, on players that you believe in.
I think the point being willfully missed by those who think they are 4 steps away from turning a current 4th round pick into a 1st rounder 3 years down the road or an elite position player in 4 years is that had people traded away Mitchell as advised they would have taken a very likely diminished value in return.

That difference in value between Michell and any future value could be huge if Mitchell captures and holds that SF RB1 position for a meaningful time. And it could be that Mitchell ends up being the asset that the trading owner is going to go through several trades and years hoping - and it is nothing more than hoping - to acquire in the first place.
I completely understand this. I was talking more about this type of player profile in general rather than Mitchell specifically. Mitchell is the outlier to me. 9 times out of 10 getting out at the value spike is the way to go in my opinion. If that means I miss a Mitchell every once in a while, I’m ok with that.

natjjohn
Role Player
Role Player

Postby natjjohn » Wed May 25, 2022 9:33 am

Can’t say I watched every game or snap, but other than when Deebo was running the ball, the rest of the crew I think were replaceable with each other. Doesn’t mean Elijah is a sell. If I had him, I’d hold him even if my thought is 100% accurate, you want the replaceable guy that’s getting the work. That’s Elijah, though you the run the risk of him getting replaced. If he’s replaced, it is likely due to just injuries if his first season is an omen for the future.

Again though, if I have him, I’m holding unless have some sort of deal with at least one 1st if not two which nobody would pay further entrenching my hold status

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:44 pm

Well that didn't last long

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:17 pm

This is why you sell low draft cap RBs

If Jordan Mason or Tyrion Davis Price performs while Mitchell is out he doesn't get his job back like a round 2/3 RB would have

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:09 am

Surprised to see that no one bumped this after he came back from IR….and got EIGHTEEN carries with SF adding CMC?!!? He got 4 more carries and even 2 targets.

What do we make of this?

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:34 am

Lumps wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:09 am Surprised to see that no one bumped this after he came back from IR….and got EIGHTEEN carries with SF adding CMC?!!? He got 4 more carries and even 2 targets.

What do we make of this?
I really don't have an opinion on it because I think we will see this offense lean on CMC much more than Mitchell in the long run, but the numbers from the game for Mitchell are crazy.

25 snaps, 18 carries, 1 rec and another target. When he was in they wanted to use him.

SF loves the run game and they know they can't overload CMC. I wouldn't expect this split every game, but Mitchell should get decent touches still and might be flex worthy

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:57 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:17 pm This is why you sell low draft cap RBs

If Jordan Mason or Tyrion Davis Price performs while Mitchell is out he doesn't get his job back like a round 2/3 RB would have
That’s pretty farfetched considered what Mitchell proved he could do in that offense when healthy. When a player posts great numbers a HC could care less when he was drafted.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:59 am

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:34 am
Lumps wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:09 am Surprised to see that no one bumped this after he came back from IR….and got EIGHTEEN carries with SF adding CMC?!!? He got 4 more carries and even 2 targets.

What do we make of this?
I really don't have an opinion on it because I think we will see this offense lean on CMC much more than Mitchell in the long run, but the numbers from the game for Mitchell are crazy.

25 snaps, 18 carries, 1 rec and another target. When he was in they wanted to use him.

SF loves the run game and they know they can't overload CMC. I wouldn't expect this split every game, but Mitchell should get decent touches still and might be flex worthy
Shanahan said he wanted to see an even split between them and lived up to it. As a Mitchell owner I’d love to see him getting 18-20 touches to CMC’s 20-24 touches each game. Helps both guys IMO.

steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby steelman » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:02 am

I'm starting him over Swift this week, I think

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:10 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:59 am
Jigga94 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:34 am

What do we make of this?

Shanahan said he wanted to see an even split between them and lived up to it. As a Mitchell owner I’d love to see him getting 18-20 touches to CMC’s 20-24 touches each game. Helps both guys IMO.
Yeah obviously it would be great for Mitchell to get 20 touches in this offense. That's at least an RB2 in fantasy and more touches than some RB1s get.

I just don't think Mitchell sees that amount consistently moving forward, but I'd bet the over on 10 touches per game moving forward.

Agreed that they'd be smart to split them since both backs have injury concerns

Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mike11 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:49 pm

steelman wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:02 am I'm starting him over Swift this week, I think
Swift feast incoming a week before Thanksgiving. I have both and am starting Swift. Don't let the frustration keep boiling, I think we're getting further away from his injury and will see his usage tick up more.
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:56 pm

Mike11 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:49 pm
steelman wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:02 am I'm starting him over Swift this week, I think
Swift feast incoming a week before Thanksgiving. I have both and am starting Swift. Don't let the frustration keep boiling, I think we're getting further away from his injury and will see his usage tick up more.
Which will likely lead to his next injury. :lol:
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:31 pm

What do we make of this?
I think it was all about the matchup. They knew they could be beaten by the run and hammered away. The LAC supposedly were down to three healthy DTs. The gameplan was an aberration- people don't really believe Deebo and Kittle will be similarly (under) utilized, do they? No need to run your blue chips into the ground when a heavy dose of Aiyuk and Mitchell can win you the game.

The actionable info imo was Mitchell was healthy enough to take all those snaps/touches and be productive.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def