2022-23 coaching carousel

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: 2022 coaching carousel

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:26 pm

Honestly would not be shocked if McDaniels is one-and-done.

BB's coaching tree is horrendous.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:35 pm

So the Big Tanker is 1-0.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:35 pm

Irsay probably not thrilled right now.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:37 pm

Ice wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:35 pm So the Big Tanker is 1-0.
That's Jeff Sunday to you! :D

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:23 pm

mild wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:37 pm
:lol:
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:04 pm

And JT had a great game too. We may be on to something here :thumbup:
Sometimes players play hard for a coach, sometimes not. Maybe that’s why Saturday is there.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:34 pm

Saturday Night Fever?
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:22 pm

mild wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:37 pm
I will take it and his Merry Band of 14 Assistants! :thumbup:

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:04 am

Glad to see this thread not spiral out of control.

I also think Cowher summed it up best, thanks to Cam for posting that.

Regardless of outcome, it sent a bad message to the rest of his staff. Totally in his right to do what he wants as an owner, but man, gotta think a lot of people trying to work their way up the coaching ladder right now would shy away from doing that in Indy now if they can. Realistically, opportunities in the NFL are few and far between, so they may not have much of a choice. But if they do, I would guess they would steer clear of Indy after this Jeff Saturday move. I know I would.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:18 am

NO's coach getting mentioned a bunch the last two weeks as a hot seat coach. People citing his poor record as Oakland's HC.

Not even certain how appealing the job would be on the open market. Good defense, Kamara's elite and Olave's nice, but no 1st and placeholders at QB.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:30 pm

dustyroads wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:04 am Glad to see this thread not spiral out of control.

Regardless of outcome, it sent a bad message to the rest of his staff. Totally in his right to do what he wants as an owner, but man, gotta think a lot of people trying to work their way up the coaching ladder right now would shy away from doing that in Indy now if they can. Realistically, opportunities in the NFL are few and far between, so they may not have much of a choice. But if they do, I would guess they would steer clear of Indy after this Jeff Saturday move. I know I would.
So Cowher jumped over countless people to join a network that pays him millions with zero experience other than being around the game of football.....Hmmm sounds vaguely familiar but Saturday is only an Interim HC with a similar resume for some specific job at this point.

Not sure anyone has really noticed but that team is playing really hard since Saturday become the IHC.

Not you, but the cry me a river of the assistants or outsiders to get a few weeks as interim may be good Clicks for the talking heads on TV as everyone has an opinion but the paid consultant got the job and may actually help interview candidates after the season. The real job search will happen after this season. Obviously, Saturday could have an inside track if they play well but he may not really even want that schedule. He was pretty good in his TV duties kind of like that talking head Cowher guy.

One thing for certain, this is the NFL and there are a lot of very good coaches out there teaching football. I could see a huge name like Payton rebuffing a team like the Colts but those types know how hard it is with no real QB and would demand control.

What looked obvious was this team was a mess; Saturday actually looks to have calmed down the situation. He has embarrassed no one with his coaching on the sidelines at this point. He is obviously one of the most prominent and Loyal Colts players in their history.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:25 am

Ice wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:30 pm
dustyroads wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:04 am Glad to see this thread not spiral out of control.

So Cowher jumped over countless people to join a network that pays him millions with zero experience other than being around the game of football.....Hmmm sounds vaguely familiar but Saturday is only an Interim HC with a similar resume for some specific job at this point.

Not sure anyone has really noticed but that team is playing really hard since Saturday become the IHC.

Not you, but the cry me a river of the assistants or outsiders to get a few weeks as interim may be good Clicks for the talking heads on TV as everyone has an opinion but the paid consultant got the job and may actually help interview candidates after the season. The real job search will happen after this season. Obviously, Saturday could have an inside track if they play well but he may not really even want that schedule. He was pretty good in his TV duties kind of like that talking head Cowher guy.

One thing for certain, this is the NFL and there are a lot of very good coaches out there teaching football. I could see a huge name like Payton rebuffing a team like the Colts but those types know how hard it is with no real QB and would demand control.

What looked obvious was this team was a mess; Saturday actually looks to have calmed down the situation. He has embarrassed no one with his coaching on the sidelines at this point. He is obviously one of the most prominent and Loyal Colts players in their history.
IMO being a TV personality and a head coach are completely different. And TV personality jobs have a long history of being given to people based on just about everything but merit. Not trying to be offensive here, but how many plus sized homely looking female side line reporters are there? Not to say the "beautiful" ones aren't good at what they do, but lets be honest here. And the bolded part of my comment was the most important part. My comment stands regardless of outcome, whereas posts like yours are popping up everywhere now as some kinda clapback "gotcha" moment (not saying that's what yours is, you were more than fair to me with your response here) which wouldn't even be uttered if the Colts continued sucking the past two weeks. Literally a case of the ends don't justify the means.

It's just my opinion, and as usual, I'm open to being wrong. I also am more of a middle ground here from the start; I thought the people saying they should have Rooney-ruled the interim hire was ridiculous. In the original comment I also supported Irsay hiring whoever he wants. It's his job to do so, and his only responsibility from there in my eyes is own the decision and accept responsibility for the outcome. But I thought then, and still think now, it showed how Irsay/the Colts organization goes through it's process. If I was a coach, and if I had a choice about what organization to try to grow in, it wouldn't be one that follows a process like that. Same way I am in my real life career. I've left companies that have shown they care more about employees who are yes men, who are related to other higher level employees, who try to bury fellow employees to get ahead, etc. in favor of company's that reward/promote for values that more closely align with my own value system. That's it. But I'm not an NFL coach, I never will be, and if I was the reality is there are so few opportunities available one would probably have to take whatever they could get so the ideal scenario I present is likely a moot point. Like most of the points made on internet forums lol.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:41 am

My take is being a CEO with the ability to manage multiple things at once is far different than the DB coach as example, focused on backpedal technique. He may be great at his task but understanding how to communicate to 14 assistants, and and manage and lead a team are far different and just because he is a great DB coach doesn’t mean he is capable from a larger perspective.

People like Cowher can rant on TV but he has no real clue about how smart Saturday is or his ability to lead men. He may not know specific plays like a Cowher but in reality the HC rarely even calls plays as he coordinates all phases of a game.

Saturday did lead his O line for 13 seasons on the Colts and has been a consultant. If he knows how to communicate with an assistant as example he will know quickly if he can coach.

Being a real leader is the key and that becomes visible quickly

A couple of examples

Denver and Raiders
Those coaches were coaches for a long time

One can’t call timeouts or manage the plays
The other is just struggling to win.

Fitting they went to overtime.

Everyone has opinions but the reality is there is a lot of ways to manage a team and we see annually 7 or coaches with vasts amount positional experience get fired.

Just a different perspective, and thought some of National comments were out in left field to a degree.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:17 am

Ice wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:41 am My take is being a CEO with the ability to manage multiple things at once is far different than the DB coach as example, focused on backpedal technique. He may be great at his task but understanding how to communicate to 14 assistants, and and manage and lead a team are far different and just because he is a great DB coach doesn’t mean he is capable from a larger perspective.

People like Cowher can rant on TV but he has no real clue about how smart Saturday is or his ability to lead men. He may not know specific plays like a Cowher but in reality the HC rarely even calls plays as he coordinates all phases of a game.

Saturday did lead his O line for 13 seasons on the Colts and has been a consultant. If he knows how to communicate with an assistant as example he will know quickly if he can coach.

Being a real leader is the key and that becomes visible quickly

A couple of examples

Denver and Raiders
Those coaches were coaches for a long time

One can’t call timeouts or manage the plays
The other is just struggling to win.

Fitting they went to overtime.

Everyone has opinions but the reality is there is a lot of ways to manage a team and we see annually 7 or coaches with vasts amount positional experience get fired.

Just a different perspective, and thought some of National comments were out in left field to a degree.
I think the bolded are interesting points and I recently heard a compelling argument along these lines, saying that if you have a proper staff underneath you; the head coach can basically just focus on being the glue. A figure head, but not the negative connotation, rather more just the face of the franchise. A guy who motivates and is able to extract the very best of his players and staff, getting them to perform at a high level. Even things like calling time outs/challenges are pretty much coming from the box through the headset, and while the HC has the final call and will absorb responsibility for that call, he could just rely on his team to make it. Think basically like POTUS but for an NFL team. I wonder if it would work over the long term, and is obviously built around the expectation you have a very, very good team of coordinators underneath them. But I think it has it's merits. There are multiple ways to run an organization that can lead to success.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:59 am

Raiders have gone on a run, seems like it should've saved the coaches their jobs.

Flip side is LAC struggling to 6-6. I don't think the coaches should be at risk but the FO- no idea how they never addressed the run defense issues, even when Suh and Linval Joseph were available in FA.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def