Justin Fields

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: Justin Fields

Postby mild » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:26 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:46 pm There've been some comments about Rosenfels' negative reviews on Fields' performances. His film reviews I have found (on The QB School) seemed more positive than negative.
Sorry, not trying to be that guy - I think Rosenfels' film series is different?

QB School is JT O'Sullivan, former NFL journeyman great who played for half the league. A proto-Fitzmagic if you will (except JT went to UC Davis)

JT never overtly points the finger. "He paints with a very even brush" would be the nice way to say it. He usually just matter-of-factly states the "what" and a few possible reasons "why" and it's up to us to inference from there.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:35 am

I'd like to see some positive film review on this. How many NFL QB's can't make throws like this? Seriously.

https://twitter.com/uSTADIUM/status/1580729124922224641
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:44 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:35 am I'd like to see some positive film review on this. How many NFL QB's can't make throws like this? Seriously.

I believe they're blaming that on the TE for being slow/not running the route fully to the back pile on

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:57 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:44 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:35 am I'd like to see some positive film review on this. How many NFL QB's can't make throws like this? Seriously.

I believe they're blaming that on the TE for being slow/not running the route fully to the back pile on
Yeah, but he's so wide open you just don't overthrow that. It's not like the TE was dogging it, and he really didn't change speeds. Need to hit that. It's a bad throw. TE disengages from the block, creates separation, and Fields can see the pace he's running at, it doesn't change, he doesn't slow up or stop. The ball wasn't close.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

frerichs5
MVP
MVP

Postby frerichs5 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:37 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:57 am
StripesOfKC wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:44 am

Yeah, but he's so wide open you just don't overthrow that. It's not like the TE was dogging it, and he really didn't change speeds. Need to hit that. It's a bad throw. TE disengages from the block, creates separation, and Fields can see the pace he's running at, it doesn't change, he doesn't slow up or stop. The ball wasn't close.
Agree. When he’s that wide open there’s no need to try to make a perfect throw and hit him in stride. Just hit him.

epsilonindi
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby epsilonindi » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:07 pm

Would people rather have the non-starting rookies (Malik, Ridder, Howell) or Fields?
Team 1: 16-team dynasty, non-PPR, 20-man roster, $450 salary cap (w/o contracts) with salaries that increase 10% every year.
Starters: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, K, DST

QB: Lamar Jackson ($23), Mac Jones ($15), Jake Browning ($10), Jameis Winston ($10)
RB: Bijan Robinson ($36), Breece Hall ($29), Zack Moss ($19), Justice Hill ($11)
WR: Ja'Marr Chase ($29), CeeDee Lamb ($32), Chris Olave ($21), Jahan Dotson ($21), Rashod Bateman ($20), Kendrick Bourne ($10)
TE: Dalton Schultz ($12), David Njoku ($30), Juwan Johnson ($11), Jonnu Smith ($10)
Taxi: QB Jake Haener, RB Chris Brooks, WR Dontayvion Wicks, WR Derius Davis, TE Brenton Strange

2022 Runner-up, 2023 Champion

2024 picks: Rd 1, Rd 2, Rd 3, Rd 5
2025 picks: Rd 1, Rd 3, Rd 5 (x2)
2026 picks: Rd 1, Rd 2, Rd 3, Rd 4, Rd 5

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:21 pm

epsilonindi wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:07 pm Would people rather have the non-starting rookies (Malik, Ridder, Howell) or Fields?
Fields for me because his rushing is so good that if he ever figures it out (which I doubt) in the air he'd be a fantasy breaker

But even one good game starting from those guys down the stretch (Howell and Ridder should get shots) would vault their value up

Fields isn't going to see any value changes but further decreases until at least the offseason (assuming he doesn't get nuked by a QB draft pick)

epsilonindi
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby epsilonindi » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:44 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:21 pm Fields isn't going to see any value changes but further decreases until at least the offseason (assuming he doesn't get nuked by a QB draft pick)
A QB nuke pick would end his time in Chicago.

But Fields needs be somewhere other than Chicago right now, that's apparent.
Team 1: 16-team dynasty, non-PPR, 20-man roster, $450 salary cap (w/o contracts) with salaries that increase 10% every year.

QB: Lamar Jackson ($23), Mac Jones ($15), Jake Browning ($10), Jameis Winston ($10)
RB: Bijan Robinson ($36), Breece Hall ($29), Zack Moss ($19), Justice Hill ($11)
WR: Ja'Marr Chase ($29), CeeDee Lamb ($32), Chris Olave ($21), Jahan Dotson ($21), Rashod Bateman ($20), Kendrick Bourne ($10)
TE: Dalton Schultz ($12), David Njoku ($30), Juwan Johnson ($11), Jonnu Smith ($10)
Taxi: QB Jake Haener, RB Chris Brooks, WR Dontayvion Wicks, WR Derius Davis, TE Brenton Strange

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:59 pm

epsilonindi wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:44 pm
StripesOfKC wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:21 pm Fields isn't going to see any value changes but further decreases until at least the offseason (assuming he doesn't get nuked by a QB draft pick)
A QB nuke pick would end his time in Chicago.

But Fields needs be somewhere other than Chicago right now, that's apparent.
The second team thing rarely works out anecdotally (Baker, Darnold, Rosen, etc)

But more than that I have my doubts that any other team values Fields all that highly. Don't forget how many QB questionable teams passed on him (JAX, NYJ, SF, ATL, DET, CAR, DEN, PHI at the time)

If a team trades a day 2 pick for him that means he has a shot to rebound and will probably be given a chance like Darnold

A day 3 pick and it's basically just a dart throw from the team's perspective rather than an actual investment in the guy they plan to hand the keys to

We will see what he fetches--if the Bears do indeed move on

That said the ideal case for Fields is definitely being showing some enough this year to be given a chance next year with an upgraded supporting cast. I still doubt he can be the guy even with some rookie/FA WRs but it would be the best thing for his value

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:47 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:53 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:46 pm There've been some comments about Rosenfels' negative reviews on Fields' performances. His film reviews I have found (on The QB School) seemed more positive than negative.

Trent Dilfer used a system he described as commonly used by many NFL evaluators for pro and college QBs. He gave Fields two double pluses, seven single pluses, three single negatives and one double negative. The double pluses were his long run and the throw to Pettis, and the double negative was the interception. Keep seeing debates about the missed TD to Griffin. Some argue that's on Fields, but Dilfer says Griffin turned his hips in to look at the QB then back out, and that slowed him down and led to the incompletion.

Strips, as the person who seems the most pessimistic about Fields, curious if you think he's salvageable. Dilfer says poor pass blocking olines like Chicago's can wreck the development of a QB (like Derek Carr) but some have been able to recover from that.
Am I that pessimistic on him? I think my opinion is similar to most who are not Bears fans, OSU fans or had him as their draft crush and can't let go: he is bad and his supporting cast is also bad

I think it's a shame the Bears didn't give him a WR (Velus doesn't count) in the draft or spend in free agency but it doesn't change that no successful QBs have been this terrible at passing in year 2. Not even bad QBs in bad situations like Daniel Jones or Sam Darnold were this bad

I think his career COULD have turned out differently but not that differently. He isn't Deshaun Watson. He isn't Patrick Mahomes but I think on a different team he could have been Marcus Mariota on the Titans like

At this point he's pretty toast though. I don't think my view is all that different from most. I just saw it earlier (after the Sunday night Green Bay game I decided I'd seen enough)

I will say he is an elite rusher so in SF for less than a first I'd still take the plunge because if he ever figures out how to be even a below average passer he will be an elite fantasy asset but realistically that proposition is just that...a fantasy
I had in my head that you were heavily pessimistic on Fields beyond the average, so was testing how deep that pessimism went. Saying he's toast is what I'd expect from someone pessimistic on Fields' future, but maybe the focus is just this year. Saying his career "COULD" have turned out differently sounds to me like the player's career is already set, but maybe I'm misinterpreting.

I'm not worried about production this year, but if the poor support (horrid WR corps) turns him into Sam "ghost" Darnold, I'm not buying in any format.
mild wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:26 am
Sorry, not trying to be that guy - I think Rosenfels' film series is different?

QB School is JT O'Sullivan, former NFL journeyman great who played for half the league. A proto-Fitzmagic if you will (except JT went to UC Davis)

JT never overtly points the finger. "He paints with a very even brush" would be the nice way to say it. He usually just matter-of-factly states the "what" and a few possible reasons "why" and it's up to us to inference from there.
No, I appreciate it! I get the names crossed sometimes. Been a fan of how he presents. Just means I haven't actually seen Rosenfels' stuff yet and gotta hunt him down.

Regarding the missed TD to the TE in the corner- Dilfer said the TE turned his hips to look back, rather than just his head. That slowed him down and led to the incompletion. He said this is what Rodgers has harped on his WRs before.

Kurt Warner repeatedly kept coming back to the trust between the QB and his WRs. He highlighted one play when he threw before the WR came out of his break, but other times where Fields didn't and attributed that to a lack of trust.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:37 am

epsilonindi wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:07 pm Would people rather have the non-starting rookies (Malik, Ridder, Howell) or Fields?
Fields is better than Malik Willis....by a lot.

As for Ridder and Howell, take a look at the success rates for Day 3 QBs and come back to this thread.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:36 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:37 am

As for Ridder and Howell, take a look at the success rates for Day 3 QBs and come back to this thread.
Ridder was day two, though the success rate isn’t great for anything outside of the first round.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

epsilonindi
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby epsilonindi » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:23 am

ericanadian wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:36 am

Ridder was day two, though the success rate isn’t great for anything outside of the first round.
And when you compare the success rate of a Day Two QB we haven't seen yet vs. a Day One QB who's looked as bad as Fields has looked?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:55 am

epsilonindi wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:23 am
ericanadian wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:36 am

And when you compare the success rate of a Day Two QB we haven't seen yet vs. a Day One QB who's looked as bad as Fields has looked?
I don't know why I thought Ridder was early 4th round.

I actually like what I've seen from Atlanta's offense. I think as they add talent and get the right guy at QB, they are going to really unlock a good offense. So, it's not a bad situation for Ridder if he makes starts.

But still, imagine Ridder in Chicago's offense right now. He would absolutely look significantly worse than Fields. I think it's fair to have a little optimism in Ridder, but I would not trade Fields for any of those players.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:08 am

Was I wrong again? Fields might just be improving ...
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock