Isaiah Spiller to the LAC Chargers: 2nd Round Rookie Gem or future JAG?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: Isaiah Spiller to the LAC Chargers: 2nd Round Rookie Gem or future JAG?

Postby mild » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:49 pm

The Athletic's Daniel Popper reports Chargers fourth-round RB Isaiah Spiller is "showcasing his pass-catching ability."

Per Popper, Spiller has "displayed some polished route running, solid hands and a north-south after-the-catch burst in these first two days of camp." It's not a surprise for a 21-year-old (next month) who entered the league with 74 career receptions at Texas A&M. Spiller is battling Larry Rountree and Joshua Kelley for No. 2 duties behind pass-catcher extraordinaire Austin Ekeler, but that does not mean he will be expected to catch zero passes. We would expect Spiller to beat out the unimpressive Rountree and Kelley, creating potential low-end FLEX value.
Let the drum beat begin! 8-)

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:56 pm

mild wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:49 pm
The Athletic's Daniel Popper reports Chargers fourth-round RB Isaiah Spiller is "showcasing his pass-catching ability."

Per Popper, Spiller has "displayed some polished route running, solid hands and a north-south after-the-catch burst in these first two days of camp." It's not a surprise for a 21-year-old (next month) who entered the league with 74 career receptions at Texas A&M. Spiller is battling Larry Rountree and Joshua Kelley for No. 2 duties behind pass-catcher extraordinaire Austin Ekeler, but that does not mean he will be expected to catch zero passes. We would expect Spiller to beat out the unimpressive Rountree and Kelley, creating potential low-end FLEX value.
Let the drum beat begin! 8-)
Is there a "yawn" emoji? :lol: :wink:
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:08 pm

Still holding, or time to drop???
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:21 pm

jetsfan5757 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:08 pm Still holding, or time to drop???
Hasn't been active after seemingly being drafted to be their RB2. Ekeler was obviously going to get his. I wasn't too surprised they signed vet Sony Michel to help out until Spiller gets up to speed. But Josh Kelley too? Sounds like Spiller doesn't have it. I faded him big time with where he was going in rookie drafts early on.

Some will (and have before) reference him being 21 as a positive, but age just doesn't matter for RB early on like it does WR. They either have it or they dont. Plus, hes not going to get any faster as he ages.

Depending on your league, you're probably holding with no better options, but in a shallow league DROP

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:25 pm

So far, this RB class is playing out very predictably. I don't think he's a drop, but definitely the type of player I would've traded for a pick next year if I was on the clock and leaning towards him. Nothing really special about him.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:33 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:25 pm So far, this RB class is playing out very predictably. I don't think he's a drop, but definitely the type of player I would've traded for a pick next year if I was on the clock and leaning towards him. Nothing really special about him.
For sure. Hall is in a timeshare and slowly taking over the lead role. Walker tbd. Pierce has the amazing opportunity. Then the rest are pretty much longshots still

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:38 pm

Still holding, but not a lot to be excited about thus far given that they think Sony Michel is a better player as of right now.

He is young, and he could turn it around. Youngest player in the draft - I think he will benefit from NFL conditioning.

RB's usually take a little longer than other positions to make a dent in a timeshare position, and especially one as ingrained and elite as Ekeler. I would be more worried if it's post-Bye (or an Ek injury) and he still isn't involved.

Worth noting that his contemporaries in Rachaad White, Ken Walker, Zamir, James Cook, etc really haven't done a whole lot yet either. If you're looking to drop those guys too, then yeah, you can drop Spiller.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:02 pm

Not a drop, but I'd send out offers to sell for a late 2 - mid 3 and see if I get a bite.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:33 pm

Kelley seems to have genuinely improved as a player and given his low number of carries relative to his snaps, he must be coming in on pass protections a fair bit. Michel is the more worrying obstacle because he seems to be no more than a COP back who works solely between the 20s. He also seems to suck at his job for the most part, so not sure why Spiller is unable to unseat him (also not sure why Kelley isn’t able to get more carries)

I’m holding. Need to have patience with a 4th round RB or there was really no point in drafting them.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:52 pm

I was super high on him pre-combine, pretty glad I don't have a share. Would still probably buy as a throw in because I do like the skill set but I was wrong about his ceiling for sure.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:30 pm

I'm still holding, not even considering dropping.
Spiller is the youngest RB in the NFL right now.
I was not expecting instant contributions.

My Spiller comp has been James Conner, both are big backs who can run and catch the ball, not very quick or agile though, so they will have their share of injuries over the years.
Don't forget that Conner didn't do much as a rookie sitting behind Le'Veon Bell, he had 32 touches in 2017.
However, Conner has had two RB1 finishes in his 5 NFL seasons prior to 2022.

I'm just letting Spiller sit on my Taxi and wait for now.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:04 pm

MacDaddy123 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:30 pm

My Spiller comp has been James Conner, both are big backs who can run and catch the ball, not very quick or agile though, so they will have their share of injuries over the years.
Don't forget that Conner didn't do much as a rookie sitting behind Le'Veon Bell, he had 32 touches in 2017.

Hmm don’t agree with that comp. Conner is a power back and Spiller is the opposite.

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:53 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:04 pm
MacDaddy123 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:30 pm

Hmm don’t agree with that comp. Conner is a power back and Spiller is the opposite.
That's fine, I'm not gonna argue, not worth it.
Lots of folks comparing ETN with Kamara when ETN came out, and I never saw that either.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:20 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:21 pm
Hasn't been active after seemingly being drafted to be their RB2. Ekeler was obviously going to get his. I wasn't too surprised they signed vet Sony Michel to help out until Spiller gets up to speed. But Josh Kelley too? Sounds like Spiller doesn't have it. I faded him big time with where he was going in rookie drafts early on.

Some will (and have before) reference him being 21 as a positive, but age just doesn't matter for RB early on like it does WR. They either have it or they dont. Plus, hes not going to get any faster as he ages.

Depending on your league, you're probably holding with no better options, but in a shallow league DROP
Good point

Same thing with RoJo - it’s crazy when you realize the dude is only 24 or 25 years old when it feels like he’s already had his career cycle, and yet… I don’t get extra fantasy points for “expected years left on the planet” 😂
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:41 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:20 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:21 pm

Good point

Same thing with RoJo - it’s crazy when you realize the dude is only 24 or 25 years old when it feels like he’s already had his career cycle, and yet… I don’t get extra fantasy points for “expected years left on the planet” 😂
Yep, great point.

Being a young RB with Day 3 draft capital, who's bad or mediocre, isn't a good thing. Teams will move on from those in a year or two if they haven't done much. Drafting a "project" RB doesn't really make much sense in the NFL.