Jalen Hurts: What's the verdict?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Jalen Hurts: What's the verdict?

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:01 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:44 pm
If Hurts looks the same way as he did last year, his legs don't matter. He's would not be good enough to take a team where they want to go, and any GM who traded capital for that after 3 years is a fool. Now it's quite possible Hurts improves to some degree, and then the Eagles will have a decision to make, and then (under the scenario you provided), they could trade him, and draft another QB, if they so desired, rather than extending Hurts, if they don't truly believe in him.
We just saw a team trade draft capital for Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield in back-to-back offseasons. An NFL team is considering starting Geno Smith in 2022.

Even if Hurts doesn't improve (but doesn't get worse), there are clear teams where he would come in and start right away. His numbers are at least competent, even though he has clear improvements he needs to make. There are worse players getting 2nd chances right now.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:03 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:01 pm
If Hurts looks the same way as he did last year, his legs don't matter. He's would not be good enough to take a team where they want to go, and any GM who traded capital for that after 3 years is a fool. Now it's quite possible Hurts improves to some degree, and then the Eagles will have a decision to make, and then (under the scenario you provided), they could trade him, and draft another QB, if they so desired, rather than extending Hurts, if they don't truly believe in him.
We just saw a team trade draft capital for Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield in back-to-back offseasons. An NFL team is considering starting Geno Smith in 2022.

Even if Hurts doesn't improve (but doesn't get worse), there are clear teams where he would come in and start right away. His numbers are at least competent, even though he has clear improvements he needs to make. There are worse players getting 2nd chances right now.
Did you miss my point about draft capital? Baker was the first overall pick, and Darnold was the 3rd overall pick. There's a difference, in the NFL's brass on that. Panthers maybe had a fairly high grade on them, and felt they could "fix them". Jets were also a terrible situation.
Hurts has a good situation this year, so if he's still the same guy, that's not a good thing.

Agreed on Geno, but the Hawks are likely tanking. Maybe Carroll and Schneider are that one team dumb enough to pay for the 2021 version of Hurts after year 3, but they have quite a bit of draft capital, my bet is they draft a new QB, and Lock/Geno are their ticket to that. A 1 year reset, from Russ seems like the vibe I am getting. Could be wrong, Carroll may be cocky enough to think he can win with these guys.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:05 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:03 pm Did you miss my point about draft capital? Baker was the first overall pick, and Darnold was the 3rd overall pick. There's a difference, in the NFL's brass on that. Panthers maybe had a fairly high grade on them, and felt they could "fix them".
Do we really think that if we did the 2020 draft over, that Jalen Hurts wouldn't go higher?

Reminder: the Packers traded up to draft Jordan Love 26th in the 1st.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:07 pm

mild wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:05 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:03 pm Did you miss my point about draft capital? Baker was the first overall pick, and Darnold was the 3rd overall pick. There's a difference, in the NFL's brass on that. Panthers maybe had a fairly high grade on them, and felt they could "fix them".
Do we really think that if we did the 2020 draft over, that Jalen Hurts wouldn't go higher?

Reminder: the Packers traded up to draft Jordan Love 26th in the 1st.
That's not the point. Top 3 draft capital, with the bad situation of the Jets, they thought maybe they could fix him. Again, see my point of the Jets team Darnold was on vs the team Hurts will have this season. Was talking about the point the Panthers traded for Darnold, not now.
Yes, 3 mediocre seasons with a terrible team, and top 3 draft capital. Panthers probably had Darnold rated fairly high out of college. Also, Baker has shown more than Hurts to this point.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:07 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:03 pm

Did you miss my point about draft capital? Baker was the first overall pick, and Darnold was the 3rd overall pick. There's a difference, in the NFL's brass on that. Panthers maybe had a fairly high grade on them, and felt they could "fix them".
Hurts was a 2nd round pick and Darnold had been mediocre for 3 seasons, with 1 season that was probably approaching average.

I get you're not high on Hurts, but if you put yourself in the shoes of an NFL team and a 25-year-old starting QB, who's had competent production is available....and your QB is Geno Smith, Daniel Jones or Marcus Mariota, you're really saying that Hurts would not be someone you'd be interested in as a starter?

Even if you plan on drafting a rookie, there's a big opportunity there.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:09 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:07 pm

Did you miss my point about draft capital? Baker was the first overall pick, and Darnold was the 3rd overall pick. There's a difference, in the NFL's brass on that. Panthers maybe had a fairly high grade on them, and felt they could "fix them".
Hurts was a 2nd round pick and Darnold had been mediocre for 3 seasons, with 1 season that was probably approaching average.

I get you're not high on Hurts, but if you put yourself in the shoes of an NFL team and a 25-year-old starting QB, who's had competent production is available....and your QB is Geno Smith, Daniel Jones or Marcus Mariota, you're really saying that Hurts would not be someone you'd be interested in as a starter?

I'm telling you there is draft capital bias in the NFL. We see it at many positions. Hurts after year 3, not improving from last year, doesn't have enough to get the same level of treatment as Baker and Darnold. I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying it's how it goes in the NFL.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:15 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:09 pm

I'm telling you there is draft capital bias in the NFL. We see it at many positions. Hurts after year 3, not improving from last year, doesn't have enough to get the same level of treatment as Baker and Darnold. I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying it's how it goes in the NFL.
Sure he does. He's outplayed his draft position so far. Hurts in hindsight could have easily been a late 1st.

In 19 games as a starter: 84.8 Passer Rating, 7.1 Y/A, 4,063 Passing Yards, 59% Completion%, 34 total touchdowns, 12 INT

Again, clearly flawed, but that's competent starting level production from a dual-threat QB. There just isn't enough quality QBs across the NFL that would prevent him from getting another starting job. A quarter of the NFL is starting garbage.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:18 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:15 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:09 pm

Sure he does. He's outplayed his draft position so far. Hurts in hindsight could have easily been a late 1st.

In 19 games as a starter: 84.8 Passer Rating, 7.1 Y/A, 4,063 Passing Yards, 59% Completion%, 34 total touchdowns, 12 INT

Again, clearly flawed, but that's competent starting level production from a dual-threat QB. There just isn't enough quality QBs across the NFL that would prevent him from getting another starting job. A quarter of the NFL is starting garbage.
I guess we shall see. I expect Hurts to improve his numbers, he basically has to. We will see how the Eagles view him next off season. I just don't agree that after 3 years, if he looks like he did last year, he'd be starting next year, but the reality, we are arguing about a hypothetical that will likely never happen, so I'll just move on. We clearly don't agree, and that's fine, I always appreciate your respectful dialogue. No worries. :thumbup:

Kelldon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Kelldon » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:13 am

I feel Hurts needs to improve in passing game to stay the starter in Philly. He has no excuse with the weapons given to him and if he doesn't improve significantly the Eagles are gonna question whether they should give him a long-term deal of 30+mil a year. Next year is his last year on his contract and Eagles have 2 2023 1st round picks. So this could be a make or break year for him in Philly but not a make or break as far as being a starter somewhere else.
Twitter: @Kelldon83
Fffaceoff.com
Band of Brothers - 10team ppr/idp 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1K, 3LB, 3DE, 3DB, 1Def Flex

Championships: 2010, 2015, 2017, 2021
QB: Wilson, Murray, Mac Jones
RB: Kamara, Swift, Chubb, Mixon, A. Ekeler, Dameon Pierce, K. Hunt, G. Edwards, Brian Robinson, K. Herbert
WR: Deebo, Nuk, MT13, A.Robinson, Golladay, C. Samuel, M. Pittman, C. Patterson, P. Campbell, J. Washington
TE: M. Andrews, Goedert, Taysom Hill
K: Tucker

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:10 pm

mild wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:31 pm I'll say it one more time for the people in the back:
If all it takes to drive the Jalen Hurts bus around here is not burying him after 16 games as a 23 year old starter: then consider me driving the bus.
Bad news y'all! The bus has left the station. I hope everyone managed to find a seat.

Through 6 Quarters of 2022 play:
35/52 for 494 yards, 24 ATT for 140 yards rushing, 4 total TD's

Currently the QB2 on the year in fantasy with one whole half left to play.

Unfortunately, it is my regret to inform the following posters that their tickets are invalid, and that we only have room on the bus for those with a valid receipt.
JFever wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:55 am
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:45 pm Is it a short bus? :doh:
Without a doubt - it's a short bus.
Tickets invalid! Sorry fellas.
halfbaked88 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:10 am @mild Hurts is more than just a lottery ticket. Lottery is just random chance.

This is more like Poker. Where you only payed a 20 buy-in and you have 500 in chips now.

I'm saying cash out, take the 500.
You're saying go All-In.
Ticket invalid! Sorry Halfbaked... shoulda left that take in the oven...
DJB wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:19 pm Great fantasy QB, awful real life QB.

Sell. But he was a sell for me anyways just like Lamar has been since his monster season. Running QB's with limited ability to throw the ball don't last long in the game.
Pyro_6138 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:21 am As an Eagles fan I've been saying Hurts isn't the guy since they drafted him he's looked like the same player he was at OU there's been no progress as a passer in the 2 years he's had at the pro level his mechanics arent great and his reads are slow he also seems to lack any sort of touch on the ball which I'd probably attribute to his throwing motion. Not entirely his fault Howie "QB Factory" Roseman over drafted him then did nothing to help him grow as a passer.
Tickets invalid. Sorry fellas. Pyro, please check your fandom at the gate and report to the next home game wearing the "if you hate me in my 2nd year, you don't deserve me in my 3rd" t-shirt.
dondickenson wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:12 am Below average QB, even in fantasy, until garbage time. Eagles clearly did not belong in the playoffs and the NFC East should be relegated. Chances he sticks as a long term starter are dwindling, and holding him is a big gamble now.
Close, but didn't quite make the leap there. Fantasy IS gambling! Ticket invalid!
AussieMate wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:20 pm I don't see it with Hurts, from all reports he's a great guy so I'm more than happy to cheer him on but I'm on the side of him being a backup in the future.
Ooof. Ticket invalid.
abloom wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:15 am I agree I would sell hurts now (actually I would of sold him last off season lol).
Still selling him now? I hear he's fetching quite the price. (Ticket invalid!)
Anteaters wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:04 am One thing I think we can all agree on is Hurts is far from being the next Lamar or the next Josh. Right now, I'd be incredibly impressed if Hurts became the next Daniel Jones and managed to be a NFL starter for 3 complete seasons.
Daniel Jones, huh. Whewph. What a take. Ticket invalid!
Yarnith wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:17 am That is something I doubt more and more for Lamar and by your comparison Hurts. I pull for the guy but I rather not be holding that potato when the music stops.
Woof! Double fkn whammy! Lamar back to MVP form, Hurts following his lead. Tough scene! Tickets invalid.
MacDaddy123 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:15 pm Don't confuse "coach-speak" this with the Eagles believing in Hurts.
I avoid him in Dynasty leagues, because I do not think he has a solid future.

Never mistake a good fantasy QB with a good QB in real life.
Hurts has them Jameis Winston vibes, great for fantasy, bad in real life.

Consider yourself warned.
Still my favourite warning. Tickets invalid!
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:51 pm He stinks. His numbers will go up (just like Tua's) because of improved options around him and good coaches, but there are much better options coming down the pipeline to take them further. :D
Indeed.

Tickets invalid! This post is over!

-resumes driving the bus-

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:18 pm

I’m happy to be on the bus. Josh Allen 2.0 right here!
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Otton

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 3x 1st
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:30 pm

mild wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:10 pm
mild wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:31 pm I'll say it one more time for the people in the back:
If all it takes to drive the Jalen Hurts bus around here is not burying him after 16 games as a 23 year old starter: then consider me driving the bus.
Bad news y'all! The bus has left the station. I hope everyone managed to find a seat.

Through 6 Quarters of 2022 play:
35/52 for 494 yards, 24 ATT for 140 yards rushing, 4 total TD's

Currently the QB2 on the year in fantasy with one whole half left to play.

Unfortunately, it is my regret to inform the following posters that their tickets are invalid, and that we only have room on the bus for those with a valid receipt.
JFever wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:55 am
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:45 pm Is it a short bus? :doh:
Without a doubt - it's a short bus.
Tickets invalid! Sorry fellas.
halfbaked88 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:10 am @mild Hurts is more than just a lottery ticket. Lottery is just random chance.

This is more like Poker. Where you only payed a 20 buy-in and you have 500 in chips now.

I'm saying cash out, take the 500.
You're saying go All-In.
Ticket invalid! Sorry Halfbaked... shoulda left that take in the oven...
DJB wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:19 pm Great fantasy QB, awful real life QB.

Sell. But he was a sell for me anyways just like Lamar has been since his monster season. Running QB's with limited ability to throw the ball don't last long in the game.
Pyro_6138 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:21 am As an Eagles fan I've been saying Hurts isn't the guy since they drafted him he's looked like the same player he was at OU there's been no progress as a passer in the 2 years he's had at the pro level his mechanics arent great and his reads are slow he also seems to lack any sort of touch on the ball which I'd probably attribute to his throwing motion. Not entirely his fault Howie "QB Factory" Roseman over drafted him then did nothing to help him grow as a passer.
Tickets invalid. Sorry fellas. Pyro, please check your fandom at the gate and report to the next home game wearing the "if you hate me in my 2nd year, you don't deserve me in my 3rd" t-shirt.
dondickenson wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:12 am Below average QB, even in fantasy, until garbage time. Eagles clearly did not belong in the playoffs and the NFC East should be relegated. Chances he sticks as a long term starter are dwindling, and holding him is a big gamble now.
Close, but didn't quite make the leap there. Fantasy IS gambling! Ticket invalid!
AussieMate wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:20 pm I don't see it with Hurts, from all reports he's a great guy so I'm more than happy to cheer him on but I'm on the side of him being a backup in the future.
Ooof. Ticket invalid.
abloom wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:15 am I agree I would sell hurts now (actually I would of sold him last off season lol).
Still selling him now? I hear he's fetching quite the price. (Ticket invalid!)
Anteaters wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:04 am One thing I think we can all agree on is Hurts is far from being the next Lamar or the next Josh. Right now, I'd be incredibly impressed if Hurts became the next Daniel Jones and managed to be a NFL starter for 3 complete seasons.
Daniel Jones, huh. Whewph. What a take. Ticket invalid!
Yarnith wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:17 am That is something I doubt more and more for Lamar and by your comparison Hurts. I pull for the guy but I rather not be holding that potato when the music stops.
Woof! Double fkn whammy! Lamar back to MVP form, Hurts following his lead. Tough scene! Tickets invalid.
MacDaddy123 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:15 pm Don't confuse "coach-speak" this with the Eagles believing in Hurts.
I avoid him in Dynasty leagues, because I do not think he has a solid future.

Never mistake a good fantasy QB with a good QB in real life.
Hurts has them Jameis Winston vibes, great for fantasy, bad in real life.

Consider yourself warned.
Still my favourite warning. Tickets invalid!
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:51 pm He stinks. His numbers will go up (just like Tua's) because of improved options around him and good coaches, but there are much better options coming down the pipeline to take them further. :D
Indeed.

Tickets invalid! This post is over!

-resumes driving the bus-
Regardless of what one thinks of Hurts, this is some good digging. Did anyone come up as a supporter in your excavation?
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:35 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:30 pm Regardless of what one thinks of Hurts, this is some good digging. Did anyone come up as a supporter in your excavation?
There were approx. 3 passengers prior to Week 1. :lol:

Many more bus jokes, though. Seemed like a good place to pick this thread up again. I did at least do everyone the dignity of waiting until Week 2, at least.

"Regardless of what one thinks of Hurts"? I don't know how anyone could think that Philly hasn't found their 2023 QB - and likely beyond - at this point.

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:43 pm

This offense is firing like I never could have imagined. The Vikings defense is really lame though.... They line up the same pretty much every play.

Can't deny Hurts looks good. I am impressed by the passing decisions and accuracy. What else needs to be said? Philly looks like they have a QB.

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:10 pm

Betwee Hurts and Tua I feel awesome sauce. Makes up for losing Lance a little :(
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Otton

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 3x 1st
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league