James Cook

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: James Cook

Postby mild » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:05 pm

CGW wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:03 pm Sitting at 1.10 right now contemplating yet another share of Skyy Moore or maybe diversifying a little with Cook...
Skyy Moore might be really really good...

But no shade if you are wanting to diversify. 8-)

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:17 am

i finally tipped my toe into the james cook pool.

i was sitting at 1.06 and i didn't want to pick jameson williams again. have picked him everywhere from 1.06 on and probably would have again but rbs get 1 ppr and wrs get 0.5 ppr.

i have never been in position to pick cook at good value so this was my best bet.

when kupp was nowhere near the best ppg last season the league shows how skewed the scoring is to rbs.

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:21 am

Ice wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:02 am
Anteaters wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:08 am
Ice wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:44 am

And isn't it just great how College Production really means nothing then between these two given 1 was drafted in the 2nd round with solid scouting grades and light speed quickness while the other very good player was FA signing. :thumbup:
I wasn't debating your take that Cook might be the next great RB2 in fantasy football. If he's your guy, I'm all for any of us making the move to get our guys. Whether the player hits or not, getting your guy and rising-or-falling with that decision is one of the fun parts of our hobby.

I was just making the factual comparison of their college careers. You'll notice I said nothing about projecting Cook's NFL production in that post.
And I said; “ Isn’t it Great “ while actually commenting on two good players.

I will add it is ironic you would call a player a “full time RB” in a college sport when they now actually have a REAL full time careers in the NFL.

Seems only one however was drafted because professionals saw the talent jump off the screen regardless of number of Carries or Receptions.

Like Fantasy Football, Scouting obviously isn’t an exact science. 👍
Teams aren’t scouting for fantasy football. What’s valuable in real football does not always mean the same thing as what’s valuable in fantasy football.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:23 am

Chwf3rd wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:21 am
I wasn't debating your take that Cook might be the next great RB2 in fantasy football. If he's your guy, I'm all for any of us making the move to get our guys. Whether the player hits or not, getting your guy and rising-or-falling with that decision is one of the fun parts of our hobby.

I was just making the factual comparison of their college careers. You'll notice I said nothing about projecting Cook's NFL production in that post.

I will add it is ironic you would call a player a “full time RB” in a college sport when they now actually have a REAL full time careers in the NFL.

Seems only one however was drafted because professionals saw the talent jump off the screen regardless of number of Carries or Receptions.

Teams aren’t scouting for fantasy football. What’s valuable in real football does not always mean the same thing as what’s valuable in fantasy football.
This is something so important that gets glossed over at every position basically irl nfl has a different criteria of importance.
At wr we want possession guys, nfl wants speed and deep threats
Rb, pass catching and blocking vs true workloads
Qb, ability to be a qb vs rushing

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:29 am

Chwf3rd wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:21 am

While that may be true I think the two should be a LOT closer than NFL ppl would like to admit. Typically if a player isn’t good for FF they don’t stick on a roster for very long.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:13 am

mild wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:05 pm
CGW wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:03 pm Sitting at 1.10 right now contemplating yet another share of Skyy Moore or maybe diversifying a little with Cook...
Skyy Moore might be really really good...

But no shade if you are wanting to diversify. 8-)
Yeah, Moore over Cook easily for me. Cook landed in an optimal situation for a receiving back, but Moore just has a lot more juice long-term.

j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby j4pac » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:05 am

How early are you willing to take Cook if you need RB much more than WR?
SF, PPR, 12 team, 12 player dynasty

QB- Lawrence, Fields, Tannehill (max 2 keepers, 3 rostered)
RB- Bijan Robinson, T Pollard, Allgeier, Charbonnet, Achane, J Wilson, Kelley, K Williams
WR- Lamb, Jeudy, Hill, C Olave, A Pierce, Shaheed, Bourne
TE- Goedert, Musgrave

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:57 am

j4pac wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:05 am How early are you willing to take Cook if you need RB much more than WR?
Late 1st maybe - after Hall, Walker, Wilson, London, Olave, Burks, Williams. He's in the discussion with Skyy, Watson, Pickens, Dotson.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:59 am

j4pac wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:05 am How early are you willing to take Cook if you need RB much more than WR?
It is really a function of how you individually value the player. I don't think I have seen Cook go top 2 but I have seen him selected beginning 1.3. I value him around 1.8 to 1.11 range with production upside in the future personally.

This draft there really is no wrong answer as there a lot of good players; Of course that also means you will get a lot of strong opinions about how good or bad he might be which is similar to a player like London who some of think he is a reach in the early 1st round. I would gamble on Cook over London or the darling named Skyy Moore personally but all 3 are close IMO where I would consider selecting them.

Cook has a lot of talent and an excellent pedigree both genetically and based on his production vs opportunity on a national championship team. He actually led the team with 92 yards on 8 touches in their title game which shows just how deep that team really was as they dominated Alabama.

If you like him, draft him with confidence: He has a very low bust factor.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

dipANDglide
All Pro
All Pro

Postby dipANDglide » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:14 pm

I don't see any issue taking Cook over Wilson or Williams in the middle of the 1st. I wouldn't pass on Olave.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:34 pm

dipANDglide wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:14 pm
I don't see any issue taking Cook over Wilson or Williams in the middle of the 1st. I wouldn't pass on Olave.
Cook over Wilson and Williams but not Olave. Interesting

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:08 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:34 pm
😳 🤔 Interesting is a nice way to put it.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:41 pm

JFever wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:08 pm

you guys are nicer than I. Cook is well behind them all. Period. The Cook hype smells of Vaughn
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:37 pm

murphysxm wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:41 pm

you guys are nicer than I. Cook is well behind them all. Period. The Cook hype smells of Vaughn
I agree here, although maybe not to that extent. I find it hard to believe he’ll suddenly be a top 5 - or even top 10 - back when he never showed he could handle the load in college, but I also don’t think he’s going to be completely irrelevant like Vaughn was last year. I could see both Cook and Singles being high RB3s or low RB2s in PPR, but unless he puts 15 lbs into his legs or catches 80 passes I think he’ll be a limited ceiling player.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:04 pm

murphysxm wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:41 pm

That is truly a terrible take most likely designed just for clicks.

Vaughn was the 8th RB selected in 2020. It was a miss but there is no similarity in their talent or games. I get some of you want to hate for hates sake but not even a valid reason behind it is pushing the narrative.

Cook is basically the same size although with a bit longer arms, bigger hands, and sightly faster than Christian McCaffrey when he entered the NFL.

Where else are were they similar in college?
Rushing YPC Cook 6.5 CMC 6.2 receiving YPR Cook 10.9 CMC 12.2

No doubt Stanford ran CMC into the ground and UGA didn't with Cook and while Cook doesn't look quite as talented as CMC he looks plenty good to be the 3rd RB selected in the draft.

The whole weight thing is actually the most laughable of all given it is almost a certainty Cook will add weight to his frame as he ages which won't be difficult. Those saying things like IF he adds weight, when the Bills actually know how to get players in the best possible shape is pretty silly.

While any player can bust, Cook has a very low bust factor. Brother in the league, played on a championship team and led the team in the yards on the biggest stage. Has 2nd round draft capital. Has elite hands, speed, and quickness.

No issue with him behind a few WR's but he is pretty much a lock 1st round rookie pick based on his talent.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts