James Cook

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: James Cook

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:00 am

Ice wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:29 am
dynastyninja wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:41 am I feel like we could just pause this forum topic until the season started and wouldn't miss a thing
Then what we would do all off season, talk about Watson....

One has to at least consider is it is pretty ridiculous to read how people want to reach and compare Cook to either Vaughn or Sermon because they had bad rookie campaigns. Why not compare him more to his DNA match brother. Wait, that would make too much actual sense. He has the pedigree, burst, and speed of well.....Cook.

Now GA does have a good coach and were blessed with great players this past year which Cook was one of but it is extremely short sighted to think Cook will ONLY be used like he was in college. That said, Cook was drafted because he has an incredible amount of tools. He also has something else; A family history of success similar to the Watt's on defense or Manning's on offense. Time will tell of course but both backs were round 2 picks and look very similar in style.

Any legit scout or even a fantasy player can see the similarities of the Cook brothers when it comes to burst and vision by just comparing a bit of college tape. Both have solid hands and are by the first wave of defenders in a blink.

So all you naysayers can continue to try to Comp to 4.5 and 4.6 guys that don't even play or profile like Cook but in all honesty it isn't helping your case at all.

Let's just stick to BMI; At least that is debatable and we can call Cook marginally overweight! :biggrin:
Idk if this was directed at my post, but I mentioned that Cook is not a similar player to Vaughn and Sermon. Just that they all rose up draft boards as the next best RB available in their respective classes. I think Cook is deserving of a late 1st in this class

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:18 am

Jigga94 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:00 am
Ice wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:29 am
dynastyninja wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:41 am I feel like we could just pause this forum topic until the season started and wouldn't miss a thing
Then what we would do all off season, talk about Watson....

One has to at least consider is it is pretty ridiculous to read how people want to reach and compare Cook to either Vaughn or Sermon because they had bad rookie campaigns. Why not compare him more to his DNA match brother. Wait, that would make too much actual sense. He has the pedigree, burst, and speed of well.....Cook.

Now GA does have a good coach and were blessed with great players this past year which Cook was one of but it is extremely short sighted to think Cook will ONLY be used like he was in college. That said, Cook was drafted because he has an incredible amount of tools. He also has something else; A family history of success similar to the Watt's on defense or Manning's on offense. Time will tell of course but both backs were round 2 picks and look very similar in style.

Any legit scout or even a fantasy player can see the similarities of the Cook brothers when it comes to burst and vision by just comparing a bit of college tape. Both have solid hands and are by the first wave of defenders in a blink.

So all you naysayers can continue to try to Comp to 4.5 and 4.6 guys that don't even play or profile like Cook but in all honesty it isn't helping your case at all.

Let's just stick to BMI; At least that is debatable and we can call Cook marginally overweight! :biggrin:
Idk if this was directed at my post, but I mentioned that Cook is not a similar player to Vaughn and Sermon. Just that they all rose up draft boards as the next best RB available in their respective classes. I think Cook is deserving of a late 1st in this class
No not at all; I read what you said and agree. My post was more in jest of those that will/would use them as a comparison. I am with you on Cook being deserving of a late first and took him there! :thumbup:
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:04 am

Is this the 2022 James Robinson thread?
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:26 am

murphysxm wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:04 am Is this the 2022 James Robinson thread?
It can't be. JR actually had collegiate experience as a full time RB. JR had more rushing yards in his senior season than Cook had his entire career.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:37 am

murphysxm wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:04 am Is this the 2022 James Robinson thread?
As far as threads go, maybe.

As far as players go, they couldn't be further apart lol

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:44 am

Anteaters wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:26 am
It can't be. JR actually had collegiate experience as a full time RB. JR had more rushing yards in his senior season than Cook had his entire career.
And isn't it just great how College Production really means nothing then between these two given 1 was drafted in the 2nd round with solid scouting grades and light speed quickness while the other very good player was FA signing. :thumbup:

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:08 am

Ice wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:44 am
And isn't it just great how College Production really means nothing then between these two given 1 was drafted in the 2nd round with solid scouting grades and light speed quickness while the other very good player was FA signing. :thumbup:
I wasn't debating your take that Cook might be the next great RB2 in fantasy football. If he's your guy, I'm all for any of us making the move to get our guys. Whether the player hits or not, getting your guy and rising-or-falling with that decision is one of the fun parts of our hobby.

I was just making the factual comparison of their college careers. You'll notice I said nothing about projecting Cook's NFL production in that post.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:57 pm

Anteaters wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:08 am

I wasn't debating your take that Cook might be the next great RB2 in fantasy football. If he's your guy, I'm all for any of us making the move to get our guys. Whether the player hits or not, getting your guy and rising-or-falling with that decision is one of the fun parts of our hobby.

I was just making the factual comparison of their college careers. You'll notice I said nothing about projecting Cook's NFL production in that post.
I mean, it was a pretty loaded comparison...

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:40 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:57 pm

I mean, it was a pretty loaded comparison...
:wink:
Loaded maybe, but true.

OTOH, I have no solid opinion on his talent. It could be that he is the second coming of Sproles. Sproles in his prime was putting up 900-1300yds and 6-9TDs per year. Scale that up slightly (to account for increased passing and overall offensive output in the league today) and Cook might be a good RB2 for a few years. It's hard for me to predict he's going to do that when I've been excited about Hymes/Cohen/Woodhead/etc and they never quite come through like I hope.

Yeah, I think Cook has talent. No, I'm not betting a 1st he's going to ever be a reliable T20RB because I don't trust my talent evaluation on smaller RBs enough to make that call. It's been easy in the past for me to see the talent in smaller RBs but not see the negatives of their size when it comes to being a consistent real life contributor.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:02 am

And I said; “ Isn’t it Great “ while actually commenting on two good players.

I will add it is ironic you would call a player a “full time RB” in a college sport when they now actually have a REAL full time careers in the NFL.

Seems only one however was drafted because professionals saw the talent jump off the screen regardless of number of Carries or Receptions.

Like Fantasy Football, Scouting obviously isn’t an exact science. 👍

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:39 am

Ice wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:13 pm Does 140 touches and 1012 yards sound reasonable to you? That is how many Cook had last season in college and he did a ton of damage with so few opportunities. 6.4 YPC and 10.5 YPR.

I have already gone on record his upside is 1100 yards and 50 receptions as a rookie.
Ice wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:04 pm You like to talk a lot about flawed this or that but between the two of us only one of us actually has put forth a projection.

Are you simply not capable so you trash mine or are just scared to actually put forth where you think this player will finish this season?
Mike Clay of ESPN, who notably does this for his job, projects James Cook for:

130 total touches, 43 receptions, 699 scrimmage yards, and 5 total TD's.

Good for a finish of RB39 in his model.

DoEs tHaT sOuNd ReaSonAblE tO yOu?

:lol:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:48 am

mild wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:39 am
Ice wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:13 pm Does 140 touches and 1012 yards sound reasonable to you? That is how many Cook had last season in college and he did a ton of damage with so few opportunities. 6.4 YPC and 10.5 YPR.

I have already gone on record his upside is 1100 yards and 50 receptions as a rookie.
Ice wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:04 pm You like to talk a lot about flawed this or that but between the two of us only one of us actually has put forth a projection.

Are you simply not capable so you trash mine or are just scared to actually put forth where you think this player will finish this season?
Mike Clay of ESPN, who notably does this for his job, projects James Cook for:

130 total touches, 43 receptions, 699 scrimmage yards, and 5 total TD's.

Good for a finish of RB39 in his model.

DoEs tHaT sOuNd ReaSonAblE tO yOu?

:lol:
Is he your boyfriend or something?

That said, I am glad to know he has a projection as well! :thumbup:

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:56 am

Ice wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:48 am Is he your boyfriend or something?

Nah, he's just a working professional who makes reasonable projections for a living.

Based on common sense and data and stuff. Y'know.

His projection seems more grounded in reality than yours, if I'm being honest.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:04 pm

mild wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:56 am
Ice wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:48 am Is he your boyfriend or something?

Nah, he's just a working professional who makes reasonable projections for a living.

Based on common sense and data and stuff. Y'know.

His projection seems more grounded in reality than yours, if I'm being honest.
No issues with his projections even though he projected A. Gibson as the #1 player in FF last year and projected that Amon-Ra St. Brown would be the biggest flop.

At least unlike a few trolls around here, he made predictions so good for him! :thumbup:

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:03 pm

Sitting at 1.10 right now contemplating yet another share of Skyy Moore or maybe diversifying a little with Cook...