James Cook

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Re: James Cook

Postby Chwf3rd » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:54 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:11 am
Chwf3rd wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:42 am 1. Cook has the size of a 3rd down/COP back;
2. Cook has only ever been used as a 3rd down/COP back;
3. Cook plays like a 3rd down/COP back; and
4. The Bills are telling us they view Cook as a 3rd down/COP back.

I don’t value that role as even the best 3rd down backs in the entire league over the last few years have failed to hold real value: James White, Danny Woodhead, JD McKissic, Tarik Cohen, Darren Sproles.

I also don’t get people acting like James White/McKissic is his floor. Those are the best 3rd down backs in the entire league - if anything, that’s more like Cook’s ceiling.
I disagree with the conclusion you're reaching. Would you rather the team say they think Cook is a bellcow and they plan to give him carries up the middle until he throws up? No, that would be asanine. Any Cook owner should be ecstatic the team realizes what they have in him and plan to play to his strengths, maximizing his efficiency and output. If over time he proves he can do more (maybe he stops skipping leg day at some point),then they'll give him more on his plate. As a former Penny owner/truther, I know first-hand the pitfalls of a team not realizing what they're getting, resulting in terrible mismanagement and misuse. Penny was a receiving back that was adequate as a between the tackles runner, but they used him as a between the tackles grinder and not as a receiving back. They essentially derailed his entire career because they didn't understand what they were getting. The Bills understanding what Cook is and what he isn't, and knowing that they still drafted him in the 2nd, should be regarded as a plus, imo.

edit: Also, the players you listed are not on the same plane of existence as Cook as a prospect.
Everything about Cook is telling us that he's going to be a change of pace/3rd down back. I don't really value that role.

I'm not saying that it is impossible for him to turn into an Ekeler or Kamara type of player but I think it is very unlikely. Banking on a smaller tertiary type of back turning into a RB1 is aiming for an incredibly small target. I'd rather bet on most RD2 WRs or even RD 3 RBs that could take over a lead role due to an injury or performance decline.

As for James Cook as a prospect, take a look at Lance Zerlein's draft grades on NFL.com. He gave James Cook a 6.15 grade. That's about even with Kenneth Gainwell last year and Darrynton Evans the year prior. That's the type of player I think he's most likely to turn into.

As for the draft capital, Buffalo does not have many needs and was clearly focused on getting a pass catching back with some explosion. They essentially had JD McKissic signed to a decent contract (2 years, $7M) before he pulled out at the last moment. They want that role on the offense so spending the 2.31 to get a guy to fill it doesn't indicate to me that they see Cook as anything more than that. Darrell Henderson and Charles Simms have gone right in that same range in previous years.

My overall point is that everything is telling us that Cook will be a COP/3rd down back and I don't value that role. I think better bets are available with Jahan Dotson, Christian Watson, Skyy Moore, Pickens, Metchie, Wandale, and Alec Pierce. Personally, I'd rather have the RD3 to mid RD4 RBs but dont have any issue with Cook at RB3.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:07 am

I would research what the GM actually said on more than one occasion .... It is not "everything" he said about a Change of pace role. He was giddy on draft day for sure, who wouldn't be because he got his guy, but he said way more than you are implying. He later talked about slot play and running the ball. When exactly did 5'11' 199 lbs become small? CMC was 202 lbs at 5'11 when he came into the league. R. Bush was 6' 205 when he was drafted. The great Thurman Thomas was 5'10" 206. Cook is going to add weight in the NFL as the workout and diet programs are a full time experience.

BTW, he is the GM not the coach. The NFL is rapidly changing to a play maker league not your fathers run in between the tackles over and over again. The rules have changed to favor the speed element and offense with no contact in routes 5 yards out, no head shots, and no Horse Collar tackles.

While there is a place for the big goal line back there is also a place for the between 20's do it all RB which is way more than just change of pace.

Most of the Cook drafters are drafting due to this upside.

Time will Tell but I expect to hear "There he Goes Again" like we have heard with his brother over the years who looks really fast but is slower than his younger brother.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:33 am

Ice wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:07 am I would research what the GM actually said on more than one occasion .... It is not "everything" he said about a Change of pace role. He was giddy on draft day for sure, who wouldn't be because he got his guy, but he said way more than you are implying. He later talked about slot play and running the ball. When exactly did 5'11' 199 lbs become small? CMC was 202 lbs at 5'11 when he came into the league. R. Bush was 6' 205 when he was drafted. The great Thurman Thomas was 5'10" 206. Cook is going to add weight in the NFL as the workout and diet programs are a full time experience.

BTW, he is the GM not the coach. The NFL is rapidly changing to a play maker league not your fathers run in between the tackles over and over again. The rules have changed to favor the speed element and offense with no contact in routes 5 yards out, no head shots, no Horse Collar tackles.

While there is a place for the big goal line back there is also a place for the between 20's do it all RB which is way more than just change of pace.

Most of the Cook drafters are drafting due to this upside.

Time will Tell but I expect to hear "There he Goes Again" like we have heard with his brother over the years who looks really fast but is slower than his younger brother.
Lets look at the top RB scoring leaders in PPR PPG just last year:
1. Derrick Henry
2. Jonathan Taylor
3. Austin Ekeler
4. Leonard Fournette
5. CMC
6. Alvin Kamara
7. Joe Mixon
8. Najee Harris
9. James Conner
10. D'Andre Swift
11. Dalvin Cook
12. Nick Chubb

Unless you think he is D'Andre Swift or turns into Ekeler, none of those players remotely resemble James Cook to me.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:45 am

I get you're trying very hard and I don't blame you a bit for not drafting him based on your viewpoint but Ekeler looks nothing like Henry and CMC isn't like Taylor. I could go on and on.

If you don't believe in a player that is fine but his drafters are looking past your COP only view point. Cook was highly effective last season running and receiving as a play maker TD maker.

The new age RB's like the Etienne and Cook type back are joining the party. Ironically teams are taking their Q's from players like Deebo on the receiving side and Gibson from running side who was actually more a receiving type back in college.

The Game is changing, I drafted Etienne last year and Cook this year betting on the future of legit RB's in fantasy in ppr leagues with an eye on zone reads, RPO's, Shotgun runs, and receiving from multiple formations on the field as teams exploit defenses.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:54 am

Ice wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:07 am
BTW, he is the GM not the coach. The NFL is rapidly changing to a play maker league not your fathers run in between the tackles over and over again. The rules have changed to favor the speed element and offense with no contact in routes 5 yards out, no head shots, and no Horse Collar tackles.
Sadly, as a Seahawks fan, 70-year-old Pete Carroll would take issue with this statement. :lol: :wall:
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:59 am

Ice wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:13 am
ericanadian wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:12 am
MacDaddy123 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:31 pm

On my board, I would have 5 players above Cook at 1.10 in that draft.

I am not a huge Cook fan, but I have 2 drafts upcoming with pick 1.09, and I'd LOVE for Jameson Williams to be there at 1.09!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was thinking the exact same thing!
Maybe you will get your wish. He does play for the Lions and will probably miss some time. I really like his upside and came close to taking him over Olave but I just liked Olave's floor better and in that system he should get tons of receptions. I figured both would go a bit higher personally. Williamson has the most risk so he will fall often in leagues.
Olave is definitely in the conversation and I certainly wouldn’t question that choice.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:59 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:54 am
Sadly, as a Seahawks fan, 70-year-old Pete Carroll would take issue with this statement. :lol: :wall:
OMG, I needed that Laugh out loud moment. :lol: :lol:

Thanks and sorry for the excruciating pain you must go through on many Sundays. That said, as a Cowboy fan, I have my own issues to deal with these days. :bigsmile:

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:16 pm

Ice wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:59 am
Shoreline Steamers wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:54 am
OMG, I needed that Laugh out loud moment. :lol: :lol:

Thanks and sorry for the excruciating pain you must go through on many Sundays. That said, as a Cowboy fan, I have my own issues to deal with these days. :bigsmile:
My pleasure! Your 'boys will be winning more games this year than my Hawks in 2022. As a bonus, we can watch them square off in Week 3 of the preseason. :clap:

On topic, I'm holding 1.10-1.11 for team 1 in sig. And Cook will be in consideration for me depending on how things shake-out above me.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:55 pm

Ice wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:45 am I get you're trying very hard and I don't blame you a bit for not drafting him based on your viewpoint but Ekeler looks nothing like Henry and CMC isn't like Taylor. I could go on and on.

If you don't believe in a player that is fine but his drafters are looking past your COP only view point. Cook was highly effective last season running and receiving as a play maker TD maker.

The new age RB's like the Etienne and Cook type back are joining the party. Ironically teams are taking their Q's from players like Deebo on the receiving side and Gibson from running side who was actually more a receiving type back in college.

The Game is changing, I drafted Etienne last year and Cook this year betting on the future of legit RB's in fantasy in ppr leagues with an eye on zone reads, RPO's, Shotgun runs, and receiving from multiple formations on the field as teams exploit defenses.
ETN was an absolute workhorse at Clemson, he's completely incomparable to James Cook who didn't have 50 carries until his senior year when he had 113. Every other RB you mentioned is the exact same.

No idea how Deebo Samuel or Antonio Gibson relate to James Cook. There have been RBs just like James Cook in the NFL for decades. He's not Deebo Samuel, there is only one Deebo Samuel in the league. And Gibson is 228lb and has been used as a traditional RB in the league.

Sorry you drafted this year's Keshawn Vaughn, Darrell Henderson, Trey Sermon.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:14 pm

@Chwf3rd

Somehow I don't believe you but carry on! The difference it seems is I am willing to bet on the changes in the NFL knowing there is a possibility he won't excel while you are sorry people drafted a player.

The reason I referenced those two players is to illustrate how the NFL will use a player's strength much differently with professional coaching.

Deebo ran a total of 25 times in college; 15 in 2016 then 2 in 2017, and 8 in 2018. Deebo ran it 59 times just last year in the pros. Gibson ran it 0 times in 2018, and 33 times in 2019 in college. Last season he ran it 258 times in the pros. The point that was lost is professional coaches are much different and don't just pigeon hole players into roles because that is what they did in college.

Players grow and mature and teams view talent very differently. You see a COP back. The Bills certainly see more as teams don't buy a 3rd down only back in the 2nd round in the pros. They see more than you. Time will tell if they are correct in that assumption.

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:18 pm

Ice wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:14 pm @Chwf3rd

You see a COP back. The Bills certainly see more as teams don't buy a 3rd down only back in the 2nd round in the pros. They see more than you. Time will tell if they are correct in that assumption.
You're the one making a huge, unwarranted assumption here about how the Bills see James Cook based solely on the fact that they used the second to last pick in the 2nd round on him.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:59 pm

Chwf3rd wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:18 pm
Ice wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:14 pm @Chwf3rd

You see a COP back. The Bills certainly see more as teams don't buy a 3rd down only back in the 2nd round in the pros. They see more than you. Time will tell if they are correct in that assumption.
You're the one making a huge, unwarranted assumption here about how the Bills see James Cook based solely on the fact that they used the second to last pick in the 2nd round on him.
Okay, I have just been doing this for 30 something years but you're right; I do not know any of the Bills staff personally other than they seem smart enough to know better given how teams value early draft picks which any 2nd round pick in the real NFL is extremely valuable given they are paying real Millions of dollars to that player. The just gave Cook a signing bonus of $1,421,496.00 as part of his $5.832 Million dollar contract. His absolute guarantee is $3,096,594.00.

Like I said, many times now, time will tell just how good this player will be for the Bills.

Good luck with your teams this year!

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:17 pm

$220 entry Superflex TE Premium Best Ball league. Draft commenced May 2nd. How's this for going aggressive on Cook? To an experienced owner.

https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/ ... 41101&O=17

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:03 pm

jordanzs wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:17 pm $220 entry Superflex TE Premium Best Ball league. Draft commenced May 2nd. How's this for going aggressive on Cook? To an experienced owner.

https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/ ... 41101&O=17
Can't say I am all that surprised. I have seen him going high in a few bigger money leagues. J. Allen is so good at QB and has so many weapons including himself, teams will not be able to cheat and in a blink a Player like Cook can be running free.

I do think his value in a Best Ball format is higher given he can take it to the house on any touch with a mistake by the defense and I am sure he will get plenty of touches to impact the game.

Cook has a big advantage in that his brother can really help and probably has with details of the NFL life that most rookies just don't get. That type of pedigree usually matters IMO plus coming off a national title at a major program certainly can't hurt.

Little surprised Bell slipped to 3.9 but QB issues could be a concern.

Thanks for sharing, always like seeing BML drafts. :thumbup:

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:13 pm

Dalvin was faster than James. If ya watched the combine, the NFL network did a simulcam that showed the two brothers running their 40. Dalvin edged James. Add to that - Dalvin is an inch shorter and 20 lbs heavier. * every source I see about James Cook’s weight is 190 lb. The brothers are not similar players other than speed.

The assumptions made here are too numerous to take the time to point out - and clearly this isn’t about changing minds. In my opinion, resume like James Cook has put out there, his usage at Georgia, his BMI, lack of lower body mass, his speed, and his reviving skills, scream rb3 in fantasy - with weekly shots at some ppr upside assuming he breaks a few longer plays (which he should be capable of). This simply isn’t the style of player I’d ever use a 1st round rookie draft pick on - nor: would I recommend it to a less experienced owner. I have a tough time with the level of certainty that some establish based on very little similar historical precedence in this case. I do realize that some like to play this game with more weight given to gut instinct and hunches - but I’ve personally learned over time that this type of approach isn’t wise. I’ve been playing fantasy football 25 years, and dynasty for 13, but don’t claim to be an expert or to know something I personally couldn’t. I’ll happily concede that James Cook may have a successful NFL career. I think he has a shot at being a better NFL team asset for the Bills than he will be for a starting fantasy football roster - but as many have said in this thread, time will tell.

In my leagues, I’m happy to see some project J.Cook as something I don’t.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.