James Cook

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dhanks91
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

James Cook

Postby dhanks91 » Fri May 27, 2022 10:59 am

Haven't seen a thread on him yet and I'm looking for peoples opinions on Cook, both short term and long term. Ive seen him taken at 2.10(pre draft), 1.13,1.12 and 1.05 so his value is all over the place.

I get that he's not a big back or a true three down threat, but the combination of the Bills offense, draft capital and his ability in space should give him an opportunity early on. While I don't believe he will ever be an RB1 for fantasy purposes I could see him having multiple RB2 seasons in a ppr format given his ability as a pass catcher. Ive read that he has work to do in pass protection but I also believe that could be said for most rookie RB's and that it can be helped with good coaching.

The fact that the Bills made an attempt at getting a pass catching back in FA (Mckissic) only to turn around and use a second round pick on Cook tells me they are looking to get their RBs more involved in the passing game moving forward. Considering how good of a deep ball thrower Allen is I could see Cook thriving in space as an underneath option if there are no available downfield options, rather than Allen running it himself.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: James Cook

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri May 27, 2022 11:15 am

His profile looks to me like the successor to Keshawn Vaughn and Trey Sermon

As good of a GM as Beane is he cannot draft RBs

Rachaad White here would have been great

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 27, 2022 11:17 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:15 am His profile looks to me like the successor to Keshawn Vaughn and Trey Sermon

Not the same type of players. I think Cook sees the field, unlike the other 2. Rachaad White has warts, too. I am not a huge fan of Cook, but I think he's going to have a role. I don't think it will be great for FF, though. I just don't think he'll get the volume, or the TD's necessary to do so.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri May 27, 2022 11:34 am

I am high on Cook. Was thrilled to get him at 1.10.

Firmly the RB3 in this class for me.

I see him as James White for a floor, Eckeler or Kamara for a ceiling
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 27, 2022 11:46 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:34 am I am high on Cook. Was thrilled to get him at 1.10.

He's built differently. He'd have to overhaul his body. His lower half is really thin. Kamara is 215, so he's nowhere near him, and he's close to 10 pounds lighter than Ekeler. I like the receiving upside of Cook, but think it's a tough task to see him being an interior runner with any real volume in the NFL, unless he really changes his body. I don't think he has top 5 upside as a realistic outlook in Fantasy. RB3 in this class is understandable. He was the 3rd RB selected in the NFL draft, and one of only 3 selected in round 2.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Fri May 27, 2022 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri May 27, 2022 11:46 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:17 am
StripesOfKC wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:15 am His profile looks to me like the successor to Keshawn Vaughn and Trey Sermon

Not the same type of players. I think Cook sees the field, unlike the other 2. Rachaad White has warts, too. I am not a huge fan of Cook, but I think he's going to have a role. I don't think it will be great for FF, though. I just don't think he'll get the volume, or the TD's necessary to do so.
I meant more as the guy who goes late first due to landing spot and being an RB rather than being actually good

Definitely not the same style of player

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 27, 2022 11:47 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:46 am

I meant more as the guy who goes late first due to landing spot and being an RB rather than being actually good

Ah, OK. I see what you mean. Thanks for clearing that up.

dhanks91
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dhanks91 » Fri May 27, 2022 11:50 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:34 am I am high on Cook. Was thrilled to get him at 1.10.

I think all 3 comparisons are fitting, I would be ecstatic to see him hit the Ekeler/Kamara ceiling. I also think there has to be something said about having a brother who has been a successful RB as far as passing down knowledge of the pro game.

I’m not ready to put him in the Vaughn/Sherman category, but it is entirely possible he falls in that range. I agree, Beane has had trouble scouting RBs, I’m just hoping Cook is the outlier.
Last edited by dhanks91 on Fri May 27, 2022 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Fri May 27, 2022 12:07 pm

So you mean CEH?

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri May 27, 2022 12:16 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:07 pm

So you mean CEH?
Not the worst comp but CEH's peak season was better than Cook's and his draft capital was huge (1st round RBs hit at really good rates)

I think there was more reason for CEH to vault up than Cook (and tbh Cook hasn't climbed up as much yet)

Hjorimir
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Hjorimir » Fri May 27, 2022 1:22 pm

I'm not a big believer in Cook before the 3rd round. I think he's likely to be a better NFL player than fantasy player if you know what I mean. I worry about his contact balance and thing legs. I think he'll have some explosive games for sure, but he'll also disappear on you quite a bit. That's my 2 cents.
The Great Old Ones
10-team PPR (1-QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, 1-TE, 1-D/ST, 1-K)
QB: Dak, Tua, Mac, Mills (bleh)
RB: Gordon, Drake, Perine, RoJo II, Dillon, Coleman, Sermon, Ingram, Mitchell, Barber, JJ, Bolden
WR: Kupp, DJM, Chase, Jeudy, AJG, OBJ, Shepard, Mecole, Parris, Osborn
TE: Knox, Engram,
D/ST: NE
K: Zuerlein

The Blues Brothers
10-team PPR (1-QB, 1-RB, 2-WR, 1-TE, 2-RB/WR/TE, 3-IDP, 1-K)
QB: Dak, Herbert, Hurts, Bridgewater, Winston, Wentz, Heinicke
RB: Zeke, Cook, Mixon, Moss/Singletary, McKinnon, Gio, Rhamondre, Evans, Roundtree
WR: Kupp, Adams, Nuk, Evans, Ruggs III, Sammy, Guyton, Palmer
TE: Logan, Henry, Engram, Cook, Tremble
IDP: Demario, Bush, Mosley, Jewell, Poyer, Derwin, Vander Esch

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Fri May 27, 2022 4:53 pm

Youre hoping he can be a james white or tarik cohen type.
His frame is no where near a kamara, swift or Aaron Jones who i see him comped to a lot and the closest build to him for lead backs recently is ekeler... Which even then hes the same weight but has three inches on

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:48 am

Pretty high on James Cook here. He is explosive, sees the field, elusive, good balance. Obviously a great pass catcher. 2nd round draft cap from a team who needs RB.

He lacks size for volume. He lacks goal line scoring. But in this offense with the space he will have, he should be very efficient. They hate Moss and went to Singletary almost reluctantly down the stretch. Both lack any explosive juice what so ever. I think Cook is going to be a very nice flex option down the stretch.

As far as comps. He’s not much smaller than Ekeler. He has virtually identical measurables to Jamaal Charles except 4.42 vs 4.38. If Cook can get 10 carries and 4 targets a game I think he can cash some long touchdowns and be more than useful in PPR.

People expecting him to just be a third down Cohen type of player, I really think you need to look again. He won’t be a work horse but he can still be an important part of one of the top offenses in football.

The tape is stellar. He dominated in the SEC. I have size bias usually but only as it leads to volume, and Cook can produce on limited volume.

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:52 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:16 pm

So you mean CEH?
Not the worst comp but CEH's peak season was better than Cook's and his draft capital was huge (1st round RBs hit at really good rates)

I think there was more reason for CEH to vault up than Cook (and tbh Cook hasn't climbed up as much yet)
CEH and James Cook are not remotely the same player. CEH is very shifty/elusive. Cook wins more on explosive potential. Both can catch, both a little small, but very different players.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:06 pm

Lord_Varys wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:52 am
StripesOfKC wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:16 pm

So you mean CEH?

CEH and James Cook are not remotely the same player. CEH is very shifty/elusive. Cook wins more on explosive potential. Both can catch, both a little small, but very different players.
I'm talking about the "bad player pumped up because he plays RB" like fellow bums Sermon and Vaughn