Garrett Wilson is my WR1 in this class and it’s not that close for me… am I crazy??

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Garrett Wilson is my WR1 in this class and it’s not that close for me… am I crazy??

Postby j4pac » Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:40 am

People are really sleeping on Olave. He’s not flashy…but neither were Justin Jefferson or Terry McLaurin. Smooth, fast, quick players that are smart with elite hands and route running transitions well to the NFL.
SF, PPR, 12 team, 12 player dynasty

QB- Lawrence, Fields, Tannehill (max 2 keepers, 3 rostered)
RB- Bijan Robinson, T Pollard, Allgeier, Charbonnet, Achane, J Wilson, Kelley, K Williams
WR- Lamb, Jeudy, Hill, C Olave, A Pierce, Shaheed, Bourne
TE- Goedert, Musgrave

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Re: Garrett Wilson is my WR1 in this class and it’s not that close for me… am I crazy??

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:33 am

j4pac wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:40 am People are really sleeping on Olave. He’s not flashy…but neither were Justin Jefferson or Terry McLaurin. Smooth, fast, quick players that are smart with elite hands and route running transitions well to the NFL.
Justin Jefferson as a prospect was most definitely more flashy than Olave.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

stick3925
Rookie
Rookie

Postby stick3925 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:53 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:01 pm
That being said - I watch Garrett Wilson and I love him. Dude just looks special in a way that I don’t see from these other guys (including Williams).
I feel the exact same way. He has been my WR1 in this class for the entire off-season process (Oalve is my WR2). Lot's of the WRs in this class have elite traits, but also have obvious flags/deficiencies. From what I have seen Wilson seems to do everything well. As always it will be fun to see how it plays out with the tightly grouped (in terms of value) top receivers in this class.

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:03 am

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:33 am
j4pac wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:40 am People are really sleeping on Olave. He’s not flashy…but neither were Justin Jefferson or Terry McLaurin. Smooth, fast, quick players that are smart with elite hands and route running transitions well to the NFL.
I agree. But I do like the McLaurin comp.

Any one of these WRs could end up the best and it may not be close in the end. The trick will be to fiind the right one. Wilson has as good of a chance as any.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:30 pm

Gotta agree. Wilson is my WR1 and it is not close and I don't think the landing spot is as bad as people make it out to be
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby j4pac » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:39 pm

Flash is not his calling card. We are using a lot of hindsight on JJ right now. He, just like Marvin Harrison, is just really smooth, smart, great hands, and can run routes. I’m not saying that Olave is going to be a 1500 yard receiver because putting those types of players on any prospect is nuts…but I think that all of those WRs were hurt in the draft process for being smooth. There’s a lot of unnecessary movement in Wilson’s game…but that makes him look more explosive as a receiver, when in reality that may not necessarily be true.

RB- Bijan Robinson, T Pollard, Allgeier, Charbonnet, Achane, J Wilson, Kelley, K Williams
TE- Goedert, Musgrave

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:01 pm

j4pac wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:39 pm
Flash is not his calling card. We are using a lot of hindsight on JJ right now. He, just like Marvin Harrison, is just really smooth, smart, great hands, and can run routes. I’m not saying that Olave is going to be a 1500 yard receiver because putting those types of players on any prospect is nuts…but I think that all of those WRs were hurt in the draft process for being smooth. There’s a lot of unnecessary movement in Wilson’s game…but that makes him look more explosive as a receiver, when in reality that may not necessarily be true.
I do definitely agree with this
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:41 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:01 pm

These flaws really just speak to his upside.

Wilson is already a very good separator with strong YAC and elite body control and he has the potential to take his game to an even higher level if he can continue to cut out unnecessary movements and play with more control out of his breaks.

I liken this a lot to Diontae coming out of Toledo who was similarly knocked for being "raw in and out of his breaks" in college. When you're already an elite separator with these flaws you're going to be nigh unguardable once you've gotten a little more polishing.

As for JJ and Olave.. JJ was mostly knocked because he played inside during his blow up year at LSU and because he "wasn't the alpha" in his receiving room. He showcased a lot more YAC ability than Olave which is essential for these smallish receivers to break into the elite tier.

Best case scenario for Olave is closer to Calvin Ridley than Justin Jefferson who is the total package.

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:58 pm

Chris_R wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:23 pm He was my WR1 before the draft and usually I have talent over situation but any WR going to the Jets, Ravens, or Patriots is enough for me to pause. So if Wilson hits it won't be on any of my teams, don't believe in Wilson, the Jets ability to develop a top 15 fantasy WR, or them to be able to feed a ton of weapons in the passing game when snow will be on the field half of those games. There were only a few teams I wasn't gonna draft Wilson and he landed on one of those.
Jets certainly weren’t ideal. I understand the history with Patriots receivers, but that landing spot would have been a HUGE boost in my book. Mac is a QB that is highly accurate and could support a weapon like Wilson.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:14 pm

BabyChark23 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:58 pm
Chris_R wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:23 pm He was my WR1 before the draft and usually I have talent over situation but any WR going to the Jets, Ravens, or Patriots is enough for me to pause. So if Wilson hits it won't be on any of my teams, don't believe in Wilson, the Jets ability to develop a top 15 fantasy WR, or them to be able to feed a ton of weapons in the passing game when snow will be on the field half of those games. There were only a few teams I wasn't gonna draft Wilson and he landed on one of those.
Jets certainly weren’t ideal. I understand the history with Patriots receivers, but that landing spot would have been a HUGE boost in my book. Mac is a QB that is highly accurate and could support a weapon like Wilson.
Obviously nowhere near the talent or type that Wilson is, but do you like Tyquan Thornton much? He’s basically free in every draft I’ve been in. This year’s Dwayne Eskridge.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby j4pac » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:45 pm

Sriracha wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:41 pm
lukkynumber13 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:01 pm

These flaws really just speak to his upside.

Wilson is already a very good separator with strong YAC and elite body control and he has the potential to take his game to an even higher level if he can continue to cut out unnecessary movements and play with more control out of his breaks.

I liken this a lot to Diontae coming out of Toledo who was similarly knocked for being "raw in and out of his breaks" in college. When you're already an elite separator with these flaws you're going to be nigh unguardable once you've gotten a little more polishing.

As for JJ and Olave.. JJ was mostly knocked because he played inside during his blow up year at LSU and because he "wasn't the alpha" in his receiving room. He showcased a lot more YAC ability than Olave which is essential for these smallish receivers to break into the elite tier.

Best case scenario for Olave is closer to Calvin Ridley than Justin Jefferson who is the total package.
You really think that Calvin Ridley is Olave’s ceiling?

TE- Goedert, Musgrave

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:11 pm

j4pac wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:45 pm You really think that Calvin Ridley is Olave’s ceiling?
Personally, yes.

He's a smallish downfield separator with minimal YAC ability.

Is there a better comp you can think of?

j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby j4pac » Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:02 pm

Sriracha wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:11 pm
j4pac wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:45 pm You really think that Calvin Ridley is Olave’s ceiling?
Personally, yes.

He's a smallish downfield separator with minimal YAC ability.

Is there a better comp you can think of?
It’s not a horrible comp. I’m just not much of a Ridley fan, I guess. There’s a really fine line between Ridley as a prospect, and say, Torry Holt. I tend to be a little more generous with “ceilings”.

TE- Goedert, Musgrave

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:06 pm

My take is nothing wrong with thinking Wilson is WR1 in this class but the "not close" part isn't something I can get behind at all. There are so many good WR's in this class you could throw a blanket and cover 4-6 of them.

Landing spots are really good with Wilson, Watson, Olave, Burks, Williamson and Metchie as all of these players have a pretty clear path to WR1 on their team by their sophomore year. Even London who I do not like much as a shot to be a WR1 in a year or two.

This is a really strong class full of PLUS players at WR.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:11 pm

Having Garrett Wilson as your WR1 is not crazy, but saying that it's not even close is crazy IMO.

I think Wilson, London, Williams or Burks all are in the same tier.
Wilson may have the safer floor, but I feel that the other 3 have higher ceilings.
Depends on what you value most I guess.