Jahan Dotson is a value in rookie drafts

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Jahan Dotson is a value in rookie drafts

Postby Jigga94 » Mon May 09, 2022 6:28 am

While I agree he probably shouldn't be drafted over Spiller, Pierce, etc... RB are often drafted too high. There's such a scarcity at RB that supply and demand causes this. WR are a dime a dozen these days and I don't see a lot of potential with Dotson. Like sure, take the 1st round draft capital in the mid 2nd all day. But I'm not excited about him either. I have him behind 7 or 8 other WR and that has nothing to do with Dotsons landing spot, I just prefer other WR to him.

So WR9 or so for me right now and I'd throw in at least 3 RB over him right now. In SF, I'd take Pickett over him also. So he's right around 13th for me.

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Mon May 09, 2022 6:36 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:21 am I have him in that mixture grouping, but would you take him over Pickens or Skyy given the option?
Skyy
Dotson
Pickens
Is how I have it

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon May 09, 2022 6:41 am

Jigga94 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:28 am While I agree he probably shouldn't be drafted over Spiller, Pierce, etc... RB are often drafted too high. There's such a scarcity at RB that supply and demand causes this. WR are a dime a dozen these days and I don't see a lot of potential with Dotson. Like sure, take the 1st round draft capital in the mid 2nd all day. But I'm not excited about him either. I have him behind 7 or 8 other WR and that has nothing to do with Dotsons landing spot, I just prefer other WR to him.

So WR9 or so for me right now and I'd throw in at least 3 RB over him right now. In SF, I'd take Pickett over him also. So he's right around 13th for me.
Kind of agree with this

He's a good value in the 2nd but it's hard for me to take him much higher than that

His production profile isn't great and neither is the landing spot--which makes it hard for me to see his value balloon too much in the next year (does anyone think Carson Wentz and the Commies are going to take the NFL by storm?)

BUT I do agree with FF that he is a better player than Christian Watson--not that that's hard to be

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon May 09, 2022 7:10 am

I'd rather shoot for the potential upside with Watson, even though he may bust

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Mon May 09, 2022 7:38 am

He passes the eye-test for me, but I don't love his profile

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Mon May 09, 2022 7:35 pm

I get serious Brandon Aiyuk vibes here. Wasn't a sexy name pre-draft, went earlier in the NFL draft than expected and in the 1st round but largely ignored by the fantasy community, going later in fantasy drafts than guys that went much later in the NFL draft.

While Aiyuk hasn't really put it all together, he had some serious value spikes where you could've gotten a great return on that cheap investment. All it would take for Dotson is a little flash and he'd give the same.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue May 10, 2022 7:03 am

I really like Dotson and love the value. Landing spot is his only knock to me, but I feel really confident in his ability. I go back and forth between him and Moore/Watson right after the Olave/Williams tier.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue May 10, 2022 9:49 am

Dotson is going to be a very good WR2 IMO. He changes speeds very well in routes. The comp in NFL combine scouting was E. Sanders. Really like that comp.

I see him well below Watson who has legit WR1 upside and just above Skyy Moore on overall talent. Hard not to like WR's that already has a great feel for changing acceleration in routes.

I do think his ceiling is probably low end WR2 in fantasy so anywhere in the 2nd round would not be a reach IMO. I wouldn't blame anyone for drafting him after 1.9 personally.

He should start week 1 in the NFL and for sure will not be going against DB1's or double coverage very often.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Thu May 12, 2022 5:29 am

This week in 12 team ppr idp draft, I had the choice of Dotson or Moore at 2.01. After several coin flips, settled on Dotson. I had already taken Watson at 1.07. My original target was LB Devin Lloyd, but he went at 1.12.

-oo-
Both teams 16 tm 1/3 ppr idp
QB, RB, 2WR, TE, 2Flex, K, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 2 Flex

Phoenix Park Suns
QB - Hurts, Darnold, Minshew, Zappe, O'Connell
RB - Ekeler, Conner, Edwards, Strong, McLaughlin, Brooks, Prince
WR - Adams, Tyreek Hill, Deebo Samuel, Zay Jones, M. Thomas, Downs
TE - Goedert, Bellinger
PK - Sanders
DL - Garrett, Paye, Madubuike, Judon
LB - Franklin, Mosley, Edmunds, J. Davis, Bernard, Jack, Mapu, Vander Esch
DB - Metellus, Branch
2024 Picks: 1.14, 2.05 , 2.14, 3.05, 3.14, 6.14

Serenity Valley Browncoats
QB - RWilson, O'Connell, Lance, Darnold, Hooker, Stidham
RB - Stevenson, RWhite, Ford, Herbert, Hunt, CEH, McIntosh, Brooks
WR - Adams, Collins, Rice, GDavis, NBrown, Dortch, Tillman
TE - Higbee, Allen, Graham
PK - Fairbairn
DL - Madubuike, Paye, Ebukam, Will Anderson
LB - Kendricks, Pratt, DWhite, Holcombe, Baker, Alexander, TAndersen, Jack
DB - Blackmon, Brisker, Stingley
- 2024 Picks: 1.13, 3.13
-oo-

esloan35
All Pro
All Pro

Postby esloan35 » Thu May 12, 2022 5:36 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:55 pm Dotson was one of my favourite WR's in this class. Great hands, good routes, and isn't afraid to go over the middle, and he fights for the ball. Capable of explosive plays. High character player. Landing spot, I think is pushing him down, but he's got top half of the first round of draft capital, and is going at the end of the first or early 2nd round in rookie drafts. Perhaps people are down on the landing spot, but we all know the dangers of drafting or not drafting due to that.

I have seen a bunch of drafts where players such as Spiller, and Dameon Pierce, among others, are taken over him. Don't get cute, take the value. I wanted to wait until all my drafts were finished before discussing this player, but now that I have grabbed him in a few leagues, and have seen this trend, he's a good target for those with late first/early 2nds.
With you on this 100%.. might be the steal of early fantasy drafts thus far.

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:24 pm

I wish I believed earlier, but this guy might be the OROY. It’s early, but Matt Harmon is banging his drum for this guy.
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Otton

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 3x 1st
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

Amoo
Captain
Captain

Postby Amoo » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:08 pm

Reminds me of OBJ. Doubt he ever duplicates OBJ's first four years, but I think he gets a couple T-15 seasons and several T-25 seasons during his career.

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:04 am

I drafted at the 10 spot and there were 9 guys I wanted. All 9 went first so I ended up with Dotson. I really didn't want him since I had drafted Josh Doctson with my 1st all those years ago, the same team, position, and close name made me shy away.

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:29 pm

Oddball456 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:04 am I drafted at the 10 spot and there were 9 guys I wanted. All 9 went first so I ended up with Dotson. I really didn't want him since I had drafted Josh Doctson with my 1st all those years ago, the same team, position, and close name made me shy away.
Not the same team :P
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Otton

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 3x 1st
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:28 am

Another good outing. Loved Dotson the entire process, I had to keep my mouth shut about him the entire off season, until I could land him, and I couldn't figure out why he was going so late in rookie drafts. I liked that he was, though, as I nabbed him in that range and walked away like a bandit.

Wentz is looking like he can be a provider forhim, for FF purposes this year, he seems to have a connection with him.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick