Christian Watson WR NDSU

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: Christian Watson WR NDSU

Postby Ice » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:49 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:54 am For a fun activity go to the RAS website and organize WR classes every year by athleticism

Will take a minute tops to see how little athleticism matters at the WR position
They are all athletes in the NFL or they wouldn't be there. They may not fit a particular individuals narrative but we both know they are all athletes.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:53 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:02 am
Ice wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:02 am Are you always such a jerk or is today just your special day?

I was giving my opinion because it was asked. I also made it crystal clear it was my opinion. I could care less if you like it or not but you're the one acting like a jerk here just to be clear.
Just offering my opinion of your opinion and then some friendly advice.

I’m sorry that you feel this way.
Actually that is a lie on your part. Anyone who read you asking for my view then responding once I gave it with your diatribe foolish comments knows better.

You were acting like a jerk of the highest order which seems to be pretty normal for you around here. No worries with disagreeing, just say so or don't ask.

Stop lying and just move on.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:33 pm

Ice wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:53 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:02 am
Ice wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:02 am Are you always such a jerk or is today just your special day?

I was giving my opinion because it was asked. I also made it crystal clear it was my opinion. I could care less if you like it or not but you're the one acting like a jerk here just to be clear.
Just offering my opinion of your opinion and then some friendly advice.

I’m sorry that you feel this way.
Actually that is a lie on your part. Anyone who read you asking for my view then responding once I gave it with your diatribe foolish comments knows better.

You were acting like a jerk of the highest order which seems to be pretty normal for you around here. No worries with disagreeing, just say so or don't ask.

Stop lying and just move on.
Not sure what you mean by lying. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

Hope your day gets better for you.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:46 pm

Ice wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:49 pm
StripesOfKC wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:54 am For a fun activity go to the RAS website and organize WR classes every year by athleticism

Will take a minute tops to see how little athleticism matters at the WR position
They are all athletes in the NFL or they wouldn't be there. They may not fit a particular individuals narrative but we both know they are all athletes.
I'm not even sure what you are trying to argue

I'm saying to look at relative athletic scores of WRs by class to see how much they matter. That's not so hard is it? (hint: it doesn't--there are loads and loads of extremely good athletes who suck at football and mediocre athletes who were just really good at playing WR)

This isn't tight end. This isn't even running back

I don't care one bit that a WR can run a 4.3 or a 4.4 or a 4.5 fast in shorts because I have yet to find a shred of evidence that it matters

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:54 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:46 pm

I'm saying to look at relative athletic scores of WRs by class to see how much they matter. That's not so hard is it? (hint: it doesn't--there are loads and loads of extremely good athletes who suck at football and mediocre athletes who were just really good at playing WR)

I don't care one bit that a WR can run a 4.3 or a 4.4 or a 4.5 fast in shorts because I have yet to find a shred of evidence that it matters
The reason you aren't finding a strong correlation is because different WRs 'win' in different ways.

If you are a big bodied 6'4 WR like Tee Higgins you don't need to run fast or create massive separation to win.
If you are Brandin Cooks nuanced route running and speed are paramount because you don't have the physical ability to bully a db at the top of a route or outbody them for a jump ball.

In general, I agree that athleticism is largely overrated at the WR position; but it definitely matters for certain archetypes of receivers.
Last edited by Sriracha on Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:14 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:46 pm

No one is arguing that but in reality, speed kills in the NFL. Not sure how you evaluate players but I try to look hard at all aspects including speed.

Are you trying to say Watson will be a bust because he is fast and can't play? Are you weighing in breakout age as the end all be all? I find it funny how polarizing a player like Watson is. His talent is staring everyone in the face. Does he need to develop it at this level, of course. If you don't think he can play then don't draft him.

Instead of looking at comparing this player to a Mims type I would just say watch the tape. NDSU is a running team. They obviously have athletes...see Trey Lance and now Watson. Are they NFL ready to dominate today.....we will see but those that think the cake is already baked on this or any player needs to understand there is a huge difference in small college and NFL.

It reminds of the vitriol around here when I was banging the table for DK as half this site was complaining about Breakout or his three cone drill.

If anyone doesn't like the player by all means stay away and players like me will scoop him up and hopefully he develops into a stud in a few years.

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:14 pm

I see Christian Watson as a somewhat worse version of Chase Claypool (the prospect). So maybe that puts my Watson comp as Miles Boykin.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:57 pm

sn’t a natural hands catcher and struggles to catch passes above his head or below his waist, and he won’t be able to bail out his quarterback on inaccurate — but still catchable — passes. PFF credited him with 16 drops in college (13.3 percent of on-target passes), including seven as a junior with a 28.8 percent drop rate.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:23 am

I can see the Mims comparisons in terms of how they look when lining up at the X, but Watson looks significantly more dynamic with the ball in his hands as a runner and YAC threat. Watson just glides across the field and looks a lot faster than anyone playing, which makes sense given the competition he played.

Mizelle has him at 1.12, so the value you're getting is pretty fair for the upside. I think situation will play a key part though in his outcome though to polish him up.

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Wed May 04, 2022 9:18 am

Well the Packers took him so know we'll have to see what happens. As long as he doesn't get injured this year should give us a good idea of what he has going on. There isn't much competition in the way. Lol maybe I can even walk on the practice field in a Antonio Freeman jersey and they won't know the difference.
12 Team 1QB PPR
8 Starters - QB 1, RB 2(4), WR 3(5), TE 1(3)

QB - Kyler Murray, Derek Carr, Kenny Pickett
RB - Christian McCaffrey, Bijan Robinson, Kyren Williams, Travis Etienne, James Conner, Antonio Gibson, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Michael Pittman, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Jerry Jeudy, Rashod Bateman
TE - Sam Laporta, Kyle Pitts, Darren Waller, Isaiah Likely
Picks - 2.10, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu May 12, 2022 3:12 pm

This feels relevant given all of the analytical hate Watson's received here.

Via the "Breakoutfinder" his breakout rating would've placed him higher than every WR besides Ja'Marr Chase in last year's draft class and is almost double the aforementioned Denzel Mims. :wink:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu May 12, 2022 4:46 pm

Sriracha wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:12 pm This feels relevant given all of the analytical hate Watson's received here.

Via the "Breakoutfinder" his breakout rating would've placed him higher than every WR besides Ja'Marr Chase in last year's draft class and is almost double the aforementioned Denzel Mims. :wink:
No surprise to me although I haven't seen that; I actually broke down these very two players based on production vs opportunity using their respective 2021 seasons and the numbers overall were extremely close.

While I don't go into that much detail for most players, when one jumps off the page but may not have quite the gross total numbers it is critical to try and find reasons to buy into or eliminate a player that go way beyond rudimentary models so many live by as their bible.

Watson does have serious potential. Maybe even Chase potential in a few years. No question Watson is behind him but he won't have his college QB....thankfully.... so he could develop into something special.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu May 12, 2022 9:08 pm

Sriracha wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:12 pm This feels relevant given all of the analytical hate Watson's received here.

F minus minus. "Citations Required - see me after class"

You can't just cite "analytics" and haphazardly mention some paid app you found on the app store and call it a day, pal. You've told us nothing bar the paywalled source... (uhhh, shill much?) Perhaps explain to us why Christian Watson, DivII WR of NDSU fame, zero 1000 yard seasons, is a better prospect coming out of college than Devonta Smith (4000 yards, 47 TD's, won the Heisman, played in the SEC), Jaylen Waddle, Rashod Bateman, and yeah, sure, Denzel Mims.

I promise you: we're all ears.

Bonus points if your answer is simply: "because this cool app I found on the app store told me so and therefore I believed it"

Un-related: I too, have a bridge to sell you. It will cost $4.99 and be called "That's just my Opinion, Man!" and you will find it on the App Store this time next week.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu May 12, 2022 9:20 pm

mild wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:08 pm

F minus minus. "Citations Required - see me after class"

You can't just cite "analytics" and haphazardly mention some paid app you found on the app store and call it a day, pal. You've told us nothing bar the paywalled source... (uhhh, shill much?) Perhaps explain to us why Christian Watson, DivII WR of NDSU fame, zero 1000 yard seasons, is a better prospect coming out of college than Devonta Smith (4000 yards, 47 TD's, won the Heisman, played in the SEC), Jaylen Waddle, Rashod Bateman, and yeah, sure, Denzel Mims.

I promise you: we're all ears.

Bonus points if your answer is simply: "because this cool app I found on the app store told me so and therefore I believed it"

Un-related: I too, have a bridge to sell you. It will cost $4.99 and be called "That's just my Opinion, Man!" and you will find it on the App Store this time next week.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps it has something to do with the data points I already gave you :wink:

Efficiency matters. Dynamism matters. ATHLETICISM matters (for a certain archetype of WRs). Draft capital matters.

I don't know the exact levers behind the hood for obvious reasons but I suspected he wasn't as bad of an analytical prospect as a few people on here were making him out to be... and low and behold an app that's 100% data has him rated very highly.

As for why it thought he was a better prospect than Devonta Smith it doesn't like outliers and Devonta's weight/BMI doesn't allow for a lot of close successful matches. I imagine it also didn't like the fact that we have no reliable athletic metrics for Devonta and Waddle...

I'm not going to go into a deep dive on why analytics weren't as high on Devonta and Waddle as the rest of the NFL was.. You should already know why a spreadsheet might not be as high on them as the rest of the NFL was.
Last edited by Sriracha on Thu May 12, 2022 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu May 12, 2022 9:27 pm

Sriracha wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:20 pm

Perhaps it has something to do with the data points I already gave you :wink:

Efficiency matters. Dynamism matters. ATHLETICISM matters (for a certain archetype of WRs). Draft capital matters.

I don't know the exact levers behind the hood for obvious reasons but I suspected he wasn't as bad of an analytical prospect as a few people on here were making him out to be... and low and behold an app that's 100% data has him rated very highly.
You gotta be f--kin kidding me here. :lol:

If you'd even dared to call Watson a better prospect than the Heisman Winner and his fast-as-sh-t running mate before the underwear Olympics, we'd have had you taken and whipped out the back of this here restaurant. :)

You're making one hell of a statement based solely on Athletic Measureables, for a position in the NFL that has perhaps one of the most murky correlations between said measureables and career success. Every other part of your fun sentence, Watson is a dead man walking by comparison.

I wish you well in these endeavours.

Now, about that bridge...