Super Bowl Discussion

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Super Bowl Discussion

Postby nathanq42 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:46 pm

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:38 pm Just saw a stat about money spent in free agency over the last two seasons.

The Rams came in stone motherless last with $36m spent.

The Bengals came in 4th with $172m spent.

It says it all really.
I don't think mortgaging their future and extending their acquisitions counts as money spent on FA. Make no mistake, the Rams have spent a lot of money and draft capital on their team, just not through FA. Plus their have inked some solid team friendly deals for good vets
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:09 am

nathanq42 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:46 pm
Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:38 pm Just saw a stat about money spent in free agency over the last two seasons.

It says it all really.
I don't think mortgaging their future and extending their acquisitions counts as money spent on FA. Make no mistake, the Rams have spent a lot of money and draft capital on their team, just not through FA. Plus their have inked some solid team friendly deals for good vets
People are always saying the Rams have mortgaged their future. They would rather use their 1st round picks on proven studs. Ramsey and Stafford are better than the picks. The Rams always have plenty of picks and use them well most of the time otherwise they wouldn't be in the position they are right now, playing in the superbowl.

The salary cap is very malleable. I have the least concern about that.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:16 am

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:09 am

It says it all really.
People are always saying the Rams have mortgaged their future. They would rather use their 1st round picks on proven studs. Ramsey and Stafford are better than the picks. The Rams always have plenty of picks and use them well most of the time otherwise they wouldn't be in the position they are right now, playing in the superbowl.

Fully agree here, the Rams see they have a window and are going for it. It makes total sense. They have one of the best defensive players we have ever seen in Aaron Donald, a vet. Solid Vet WRs, Kupp has been more than solid this year but before this year id say we would call him solid. Other solid vet defensive players and a Vet Qb now, why not go for it all? The fact is teams only have 4-5 year windows to win a super bowl (the Pats made a lot people believe this isnt true but it is, the pats are an outlier everyone should know that by now) the Rams are in that window, go for it, i respect it. While we are at it the bengals have their young core and should also start making some of these win now moves.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:58 am

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:09 am

It says it all really.

Believe me, I think it's awesome that they are going for it as hard as they are, but they have sent out a lot of premium draft capital and solid players over McVay's tenure. I just dont believe it is fair to say that the Bengals got to where they are today because they bought a team recently, and the Rams are "home grown" because they havent spent much money in FA recently.

They have acquired players via trading (Ramsey and Von Miller) and drafting then extended them rather than signing in FA, and key FA's were signed outside of that 2 year window (Whitworth being the crown jewel of all FA signings), and OBJ being a solid vet at a super cheap rate via FA is super team friendly title chasing move by OBJ (nothing wrong with that, but lets not act like OBJ is worth 1.25M annually
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:41 pm

They don't have a useful pick until 2024 correct? How does that work in maintaning and semblance of longevity? If it gets them a SB, sure it is probably a decision they make again, but if the lose. dark days ahead
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:57 pm

The Rams have been very smart in the short term selling draft picks for high priced studs at key positions.

Make no mistake though, win or lose this game and they are going to lose many players or have to pay a fortune to keep many of their newer stars.

Starting with the QB who will be in the last year of his deal next season. No one really believes he will play for 23 million next year do they.

OBJ and Miller will be FA and they paid a ton to get them. Their stud LT will probably retire but if he doesn't he most likely will want 20 million just to return and those types don't grow on trees in the later rounds. They may be forced to Cut Woods in March in a pure financial move.

What they have done is amazing but there will be a consequence as they will have to live within the cap like everyone else.
Last edited by Ice on Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:58 pm

murphysxm wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:41 pm They don't have a useful pick until 2024 correct? How does that work in maintaning and semblance of longevity? If it gets them a SB, sure it is probably a decision they make again, but if the lose. dark days ahead
Looking at the state of the NFC currently I don't see why they can't make it back next year

It'll eventually catch up but it's not a "one year or failure thing"

They have mid to later picks and can make cap room by extending/restructuring Stafford

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:15 pm

i think obj wants to stay. he made his money and was miserable the whole way. time to be happy and give a discount. he can probably make up the shortfall with the better business opportunities for him in LA.

mcvay loves him. beckham has told people how much better he will be in this offense after a full offseason in the program. his mindset right now is to came back.

we'll see how he feels if another team throws a ton of money at him but they also saw how ordinary he was with the browns and at the tail end of his time with the giants. will they throw the vault at him?

imagine an offense with stafford, akers, kupp, obj, woods and higbee. with jefferson waiting in the wings. who's gonna stop that?

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:50 pm

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:15 pm i think obj wants to stay. he made his money and was miserable the whole way. time to be happy and give a discount. he can probably make up the shortfall with the better business opportunities for him in LA.

mcvay loves him. beckham has told people how much better he will be in this offense after a full offseason in the program. his mindset right now is to came back.

we'll see how he feels if another team throws a ton of money at him but they also saw how ordinary he was with the browns and at the tail end of his time with the giants. will they throw the vault at him?

imagine an offense with stafford, akers, kupp, obj, woods and higbee. with jefferson waiting in the wings. who's gonna stop that?
Have you seen OBJ block? This is a honeymoon period but I just don't see OBJ doing what the Rams want from WR's play in and play out. Assuming they resign Woods I am not sure if OBJ will turn out any better than AB did year 2 with the Bucs.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:13 am

murphysxm wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:41 pm They don't have a useful pick until 2024 correct? How does that work in maintaning and semblance of longevity? If it gets them a SB, sure it is probably a decision they make again, but if the lose. dark days ahead
They also make a lot of picks in the later rounds, almost exclusively in fact - and that's the majority of their team / depth. They've found useful players with those picks, which has helped augment their "Stars 'n Scrubs" setup.

It's also worth noting... a premium pick is only a premium pick if you hit on it. The Jalen Ramsay trade is now a couple of seasons old. "Lol, Jags" and all that, but...

https://nz.news.yahoo.com/rams-jalen-ra ... 43870.html

Even if the Rams don't win the Superbowl, the fact that they're in it as a direct result of the trades that they've made - means that we must give their chosen strategy its due.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:31 pm

The pressure is all on the Rams. There's talk that this season is a failure if they lose.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Nix
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, Connor, Benson
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Woods

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:41 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:31 pm The pressure is all on the Rams. There's talk that this season is a failure if they lose.
They pushed their chips all in, they are SB winners or bust

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:18 pm

murphysxm wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:41 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:31 pm The pressure is all on the Rams. There's talk that this season is a failure if they lose.
Making the Superbowl proves the strategy works. It's not "bust". It's a success right now whichever way you slice it, win or lose.

If you knew that a series of decisions you were about to make meant that you'd immediately end up in the Superbowl with at least a 50% chance to win - then every GM would pull those triggers. Except that these decisions run counter to how most of the league likes to operate.

I also fail to see how it's a bust going forward. They have the core under contract... and the NFC will arguably be less competitive in 2022, with a lot of questions/dominos to fall. Brady gone. Rodgers and Wilson in question. Arizona in potential chaos. SF turning to a raw QB next year.

Rams are - hands down - the odds-on favourite to represent the NFC in 2022.

"Bust". Lol. Laughable concept. McVay would laugh at you right now if he could hear this.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:33 pm

mild wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:18 pm
murphysxm wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:41 pm
Making the Superbowl proves the strategy works. It's not "bust". It's a success right now whichever way you slice it, win or lose.

If you knew that a series of decisions you were about to make meant that you'd immediately end up in the Superbowl with at least a 50% chance to win - then every GM would pull those triggers. Except that these decisions run counter to how most of the league likes to operate.

I also fail to see how it's a bust going forward. They have the core under contract... and the NFC will arguably be less competitive in 2022, with a lot of questions/dominos to fall. Brady gone. Rodgers and Wilson in question. Arizona in potential chaos. SF turning to a raw QB next year.

Rams are - hands down - the odds-on favourite to represent the NFC in 2022.

"Bust". Lol. Laughable concept. McVay would laugh at you right now if he could hear this.
My response was paraphrasing a quote from McVay back in like November. Hey they made the SB, but they were remarkably healthy and have little to depth to cover that up if things chhange. Also Whitworth's value can't be overstated. I just see this a Miami Marlins all or nothing stab at a title. Not mad at them, but I would fall well short of calling them the odds-on favorite next year.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:37 pm

murphysxm wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:33 pm My response was paraphrasing a quote from McVay back in like November. Hey they made the SB, but they were remarkably healthy and have little to depth to cover that up if things chhange. Also Whitworth's value can't be overstated. I just see this a Miami Marlins all or nothing stab at a title. Not mad at them, but I would fall well short of calling them the odds-on favorite next year.
Name the NFC team with a better chance of being in the 2022 Superbowl, assuming health.