2022 Coaching Carousel

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Postby kadun2 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:45 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:40 pm I agree; The Rooney Rule is terrible.

Flores most likely just killed any chance of a head coaching or any coaching gig in the NFL for the foreseeable future.

Who knows if he wins a law suit but doubt it personally. This will be an interesting brand attack over next year.

No way I would hire him in any capacity until this is settled. I do think he can really coach but this seems like a let’s blow up the system move. Those rarely work.
I Agree

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:50 pm

murphysxm wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:41 pm
Ice wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:40 pm I agree; The Rooney Rule is terrible.

Flores most likely just killed any chance of a head coaching or any coaching gig in the NFL for the foreseeable future.

Who knows if he wins a law suit but doubt it personally. This will be an interesting brand attack over next year.

No way I would hire him in any capacity until this is settled. I do think he can really coach but this seems like a let’s blow up the system move. Those rarely work.
So you just assume he is wrong in his accusations?
Never said anything remotely like that.

He may be 100% correct for all we know but exactly how will he prove racism. That is a pretty big legal hurdle.

The Rooney Rule isn’t Federal Law last time I checked. There are 32 jobs so regardless teams will hire who they individually think is their best candidate and that is actually legal.

I would appreciate it if you didn’t put words in my mouth.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:56 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:43 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:32 pm
StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:11 pm

I think the racism side is more Denver and overall shadiness Miami

I don't really what the Giants did that wrong

When they got the Bills assistant GM it was pretty clear he'd want to bring one of his coordinators with him (more likely the good one)
The Giants deciding before they satisfy the Rooney Rule. The rule sucks because of how teams are going to treat it, as the Giants did. It's extra worthless if they're not seriously considering the candidate.
That's fair. It's a shitty situation for Flores but I also don't think it's all that abnormal to have a preference/clear idea of who you want to hire or are strongly leaning to as you are in the process of interviewing (while still having to meet the requirement of two minority interviews)--not just for NFL coaches but for any job

It does suck that it leaked out like that to Flores

I think the Broncos part of barely even showing up is worse
It's normal to have a preference. If Bill Belichick was available, he'd be the top choice for every team logically.

The issue though is that many of these coaching hires come through the country club circle that minority coaches don't belong to. So, they're rarely in the running for most openings, especially the prestigious ones. And when they do get chances, it's often as a transitional placeholder.

But, to have this rule and have teams treat it as a checkbox without consideration is the cherry on top. Without it, the number of minority coaches getting interviews would drop significantly. It's really a lose lose outcome either way.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:10 pm

The texts don't add up. How do you go through a whole conversation not knowing who you're talking to the entire time when the name is at the top of the screen. If it's an unknown number then you verify it first. And why is it at the end Bill finally signs his name "BB" but not after the previous texts?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/brian-flor ... 56727.html

It's like when my mom sends a text and it starts with "Hi (Name) it's your mom"...duh? Thought some rando got your phone and just started texting away...

I believe the racism part. I believe more that teams just have "their guy" who they want and go take. So the Rooney Rule is a joke, but how else do you attempt to get candidates interviews? Everyone deserves a fair shot, but it's no different than when a company posts a position, but already hired internally. Due to a formality they have to post the job even though it's already filled. It's wrong on many levels as there's dozens of applicants that apply for that "open" position but never get a chance. How do you make a better system?

Kaz
Captain
Captain

Postby Kaz » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:12 pm

Didn't the Giants already interview their DC Patrick Graham though? Wouldn't that satisfy the Rooney Rule?
QB: Brees, Ryan
RB: J.Taylor, K.Hunt, R.Jones, Dillon, McKinnon
WR: D.Adams, T.Hill, A.Rob, Lockett, Anderson, P.Campbell, C.Samuel
TE: Kittle, Olsen, D.Sample
DL: Ngakoue, E.Griffen, J.Sweat, Bowser
LB: Mosley, D.Jones, Warner, Treviathan, R. Evans, Okereke, M.Harrison
DB: J.Johnson, T.Mathieu, T.Walker, J.Jones, X.Woods

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:37 pm

Kaz wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:12 pm Didn't the Giants already interview their DC Patrick Graham though? Wouldn't that satisfy the Rooney Rule?
I thought the rule changed to 2 minorities last year, also to the whole text thing, if its fake surely BB comes out and says so pretty quickly, I can't see this being a mystery for long.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:10 pm

Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:19 pm

From PFT:
Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, Giants defensive coordinator Patrick Graham, Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, and Bengals defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo also interviewed for the Giants before Daboll was hired. Frazier and Graham are Black and the NFL’s Rooney Rule requires teams to interview at least two external minority candidates for head coaching openings but Flores’ suit contends that they were not under real consideration for the job.

Flores dragging the Giants into this is nothing short of deplorable.

And I do not believe for a second that Belichick "accidentally" sent a text to the wrong person.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:26 pm

remedy29 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:19 pm From PFT:
Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, Giants defensive coordinator Patrick Graham, Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, and Bengals defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo also interviewed for the Giants before Daboll was hired. Frazier and Graham are Black and the NFL’s Rooney Rule requires teams to interview at least two external minority candidates for head coaching openings but Flores’ suit contends that they were not under real consideration for the job.

Flores dragging the Giants into this is nothing short of deplorable.

And I do not believe for a second that Belichick "accidentally" sent a text to the wrong person.
its all about timeline which I keep finding mixed things, 1 tweet said Flores was interviewed before the other minority candidates (or at least before 1 of them) which would mean the requirement hadn't been met as of his interview. Now this could be wrong and would be keen if someone can show me the exact timeline of interviews.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:55 pm

I can't imagine Brian Flores would put take bill Belichick texts in a real law suit. It can so easily be verified
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:12 pm

Belichick text were even before Daboll second interview. How would he know who the Giants will hire days later? At best Daboll was the front runner, but the Giants identified a list of candidates and they were going to complete their interviews.

Even if there was a verbal agreement, between the Giants and Daboll, based on a virtual meeting mind you, we all know verbal agreements are not worth the paper they are written on.

Sounds like Flores was butt hurt from the Dolphins, perhaps rightfully so. Belichick text further irked him, now he is dragging everyone into his racist claim.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:26 pm

I will honor the lose if I am wrong, but my gut tells me Flores has a case and I hope the NFL acknowledges it.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:34 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:10 pm The texts don't add up. How do you go through a whole conversation not knowing who you're talking to the entire time when the name is at the top of the screen. If it's an unknown number then you verify it first. And why is it at the end Bill finally signs his name "BB" but not after the previous texts?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/brian-flor ... 56727.html

It's like when my mom sends a text and it starts with "Hi (Name) it's your mom"...duh? Thought some rando got your phone and just started texting away...

I believe the racism part. I believe more that teams just have "their guy" who they want and go take. So the Rooney Rule is a joke, but how else do you attempt to get candidates interviews? Everyone deserves a fair shot, but it's no different than when a company posts a position, but already hired internally. Due to a formality they have to post the job even though it's already filled. It's wrong on many levels as there's dozens of applicants that apply for that "open" position but never get a chance. How do you make a better system?
The NFL could require that all ethnic groups are equally represented at all levels for each team:
Administration
Coaches
Players
Support staff

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:11 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:56 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:32 pm

The Giants deciding before they satisfy the Rooney Rule. The rule sucks because of how teams are going to treat it, as the Giants did. It's extra worthless if they're not seriously considering the candidate.
That's fair. It's a shitty situation for Flores but I also don't think it's all that abnormal to have a preference/clear idea of who you want to hire or are strongly leaning to as you are in the process of interviewing (while still having to meet the requirement of two minority interviews)--not just for NFL coaches but for any job

It's normal to have a preference. If Bill Belichick was available, he'd be the top choice for every team logically.

The issue though is that many of these coaching hires come through the country club circle that minority coaches don't belong to. So, they're rarely in the running for most openings, especially the prestigious ones. And when they do get chances, it's often as a transitional placeholder.

But, to have this rule and have teams treat it as a checkbox without consideration is the cherry on top. Without it, the number of minority coaches getting interviews would drop significantly. It's really a lose lose outcome either way.
I think I agree with you that the intention of the Rooney Rule is good but when you put it into place there will always be token interviews

The Vikings interviewed Giants DC Patrick Graham today when everyone knows they want Harbaugh

Who can blame them? Guy with a 70% NFL win percentage who made 3 NFC Championships in 3 years and never had a losing season vs coordinator of the 23rd ranked defense

But they have to interview two external minority candidates before being able to make a hire

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:23 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:11 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:56 pm

I think I agree with you that the intention of the Rooney Rule is good but when you put it into place there will always be token interviews

The Vikings interviewed Giants DC Patrick Graham today when everyone knows they want Harbaugh

Who can blame them? Guy with a 70% NFL win percentage who made 3 NFC Championships in 3 years and never had a losing season vs coordinator of the 23rd ranked defense

But they have to interview two external minority candidates before being able to make a hire
Also I heard the interview went for many hours, sounds like they at least gave him a shot and also have considered him if they couldn't get their guy, you can't ask more of teams than what the vikings did (talk was it was a 9 hour interview which is absurd if true)