Daboll Key to Unlocking Saquon and the G-Men offense ???

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Daboll Key to Unlocking Saquon and the G-Men offense ???

Postby cazzie33 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:49 am

Plenty to work with if they add 2-3 additions along the offensive line through draft & FA.

Can easily see it being a substantial turnaround in year one. Thoughts :think:

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Re: Daboll Key to Unlocking Saquon and the G-Men offense ???

Postby Mjvb5 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:52 am

cazzie33 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:49 am Plenty to work with if they add 2-3 additions along the offensive line through draft & FA.

Can easily see it being a substantial turnaround in year one. Thoughts :think:
Maybe he does but theres still a pile of questions. Can they get the OL fixed, Is Daniel Jones actually serviceable, is Barkley the same as before injuries/can he stay healthy, do they have the surrounding weapons to support an offense/can they stay healthy. In all honesty every single spot on that offense is a ? at this point

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:11 pm

I bet they draft a first round QB. Jones will start the season though.

I think the only way for the Giants offense to go is up, though it's possible they stay the same.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:21 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:11 pm I bet they draft a first round QB. Jones will start the season though.

I think the only way for the Giants offense to go is up, though it's possible they stay the same.
But there isn't a quality first round QB this year. Why waste it on reaching for one? Build your line or trade back and get more picks.

Anyone that's familiar with Daboll (as I'm not) - it seemed he wasn't much of a running (with RB's) offense in BUF. Was that due to the personnel on the team or his own strategic stance? Just trying to gauge how he factors with Barkley.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:30 pm

He could be good. Tons of experience on offense but no telling on overall defensive philosophy but he did get a solid D coordinator.

It is all about the QB and there is plenty of concern there. The Giants are in a great place to improve the O Line and really need a real WR not named Golladay.

Don't think the new regime will be nearly as bad as the last few.

Giants fans have to be elated to reboot I would think.

I highly doubt they draft a QB early in this class. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they make a run at Mitch Trubisky depending how he looked in practice this past season.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:41 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:21 pm
Pac_Eddy wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:11 pm I bet they draft a first round QB. Jones will start the season though.

But there isn't a quality first round QB this year. Why waste it on reaching for one? Build your line or trade back and get more picks.

Anyone that's familiar with Daboll (as I'm not) - it seemed he wasn't much of a running (with RB's) offense in BUF. Was that due to the personnel on the team or his own strategic stance? Just trying to gauge how he factors with Barkley.
I've heard this other years too. Teams that need a QB aren't afraid to reach or trade up. I think there will be at least two first round QBs.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:09 pm

If you own Barkley, there's not much more you can do except hold and hope at this point.

Daboll should be able to give the Giants something competent going forward. I just can't imagine the offense being any worse than the last couple of years.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:11 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:21 pm But there isn't a quality first round QB this year. Why waste it on reaching for one? Build your line or trade back and get more picks.
I'm really excited for Schoen to show us exactly what he thinks of that notion. We won't know until his picks are in. I'll be watching carefully.

But my personal guess is that he stands up Daniel Jones for a year in a win-win scenario. If DJ exceeds expectations, then he's gained an asset. If (much more likely) he suckeths again, then you'll be picking higher in a much more loaded draft.

It's a great "out" to use as you load up on Lineman in your first draft. At least, that's what I'd put the odds on him doing, via their posturing through Mara so far. I'd also consider it pretty likely that they sign a veteran in the Trubiskey / Mariota / Minschew mould - particularly Mitch Trubiskey if Schoen believes there's something there.
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:21 pm Anyone that's familiar with Daboll (as I'm not) - it seemed he wasn't much of a running (with RB's) offense in BUF. Was that due to the personnel on the team or his own strategic stance? Just trying to gauge how he factors with Barkley.
It's honestly best-case scenario. Everywhere he's gone, he's simply played to the strengths of whatever is there. There is no "Daboll Offense" inasmuch as there is just "Daboll building an offense with what he has". Before he turned Josh Allen into a juggernaut, he got Tua drafted at 6 with his work with him at Alabama.

And there's plenty more before that. Honestly, it's a fandom-affirming hire, for me.

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:09 pm If you own Barkley, there's not much more you can do except hold and hope at this point.

Daboll should be able to give the Giants something competent going forward. I just can't imagine the offense being any worse than the last couple of years.
That's the thing. It literally cannot be worse.

I'm tempering my expectations; I don't expect to be top half of the league in anything. But league average is still going to look a hell of a lot better than "dead last in everything".

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:48 am

mild wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:11 pm
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:21 pm But there isn't a quality first round QB this year. Why waste it on reaching for one? Build your line or trade back and get more picks.
I'm really excited for Schoen to show us exactly what he thinks of that notion. We won't know until his picks are in. I'll be watching carefully.

But my personal guess is that he stands up Daniel Jones for a year in a win-win scenario. If DJ exceeds expectations, then he's gained an asset. If (much more likely) he suckeths again, then you'll be picking higher in a much more loaded draft.

It's a great "out" to use as you load up on Lineman in your first draft. At least, that's what I'd put the odds on him doing, via their posturing through Mara so far. I'd also consider it pretty likely that they sign a veteran in the Trubiskey / Mariota / Minschew mould - particularly Mitch Trubiskey if Schoen believes there's something there.

This was my thought exactly. Sticking with DJ one more season is a win win. I don't think they save much of anything by cutting him. So either he steps up and shows he can at least be a bridge QB they can sign/extend at a significant discount for a prolonged rebuild; or ride him to the dirt to another high draft pick/s in the 2023 draft.

I'm no draft guru, but if the Giants can turn 5 and 7 into Linderbaum, who has been the best center in college football the past two years, and Neal from Alabama who's shown he can plug and play wherever they need him... you add them to a healthy Thomas on the oline and it could make a huge difference to that offense immediately.

I do think at least two, if not three, qbs go in the first round. Just none should go to the Giants. And I think most of them would be going late. Again, what do I know, but I think at least the Saints at 18 (maybe Howell or Ridder), and the Steelers at 20 (I think Colbert would want to make one last splash before walking away as GM, and in my fantasy they take Pickett not wanting to let another local Pitt QB get by them a la Marino).

Hause24
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Hause24 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:31 pm

Mitch Trubisky is the play this year, he knows his offense already from being on Bills with him.

Wonder if they even try to trade Jones in a QB started league to get more picks for a rebuild.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:36 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:41 pm

I've heard this other years too. Teams that need a QB aren't afraid to reach or trade up. I think there will be at least two first round QBs.
I think it happens every year, just in case the player is a "hit" the teams get that 5th year option for the 1st rounder. Probably why organizations reach. Or at least is part of the reason.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:00 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:36 pm
Pac_Eddy wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:41 pm

I think it happens every year, just in case the player is a "hit" the teams get that 5th year option for the 1st rounder. Probably why organizations reach. Or at least is part of the reason.
Yup the big thing with that is it just gives more time to really see what's up with a qb, see the cowboys with daks tag, wft with kirk