CMC for Najee Deal (POLL)

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Which side?

CMC + Marshall
27%
Najee + MT
73%

Total votes: 15

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

CMC for Najee Deal (POLL)

Postby blemly » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:04 am

This is for team 1 in my sig. Starting requirements are light, QB, SF, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex and scoring has a slight wrinkle in it in that it is only 0.5ppr, but 1.0 points per first down. I entered the year as the favorite coming out of a multi-year rebuild and, while I have gotten lucky with matchups thus far, my team has been absolutely decimated by injuries. Right now I sit at 5-1, but am middle of the pack in scoring.

My window to win is this now-2023 with the age of my team, but I am considering moving CMC as I believe this year to be my best legitimate chance to win. I have the current offer on the table:

Give: CMC + T. Marshall
Get: Najee + MT

Obviously MT has concerns of his own, but I have enough depth at WR in a 2WR league that I should be ok with DK/Ridley/Woods/Shepard before MT returns, and he could be a nice bonus at the end of the year if he returns to form. Four weeks ago I would have said no way, I'm losing the best player in this deal by far, but I am not sure how far apart Najee and CMC are now because I don't know how CMC's recent injuries will affect his play/usage going forward. It's a big move though and I'd like to see what everyone else thinks. Thanks!
Team 1: 12-team SF 0.5 PPR:
QB: Dak, Russ, Stafford, Geno, Dalton
RB: Harris, Gibson, Chubb, Cohen
WR: DK, Ridley, Kirk, Chark, Woods, C Samuel, Shepard, Reagor
TE: Fant, Knox
Team 2: 14-team PPR SF TEP:
QB: Wilson, Burrow, Geno, Foles
RB: Mixon, Gibson, Hines, Cohen, Pollard
WR: DJM, Cooper, Sutton, Deebo, R. Moore, ARSB, Eskridge, Renfrow
TE: Gesicki, Njoku, Arnold
Team 3: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Watson, Lawrence, Winston, Cam
RB: Harris, Ekeler, Dobbins
WR: Hill, AJB, Woods, Chark, Lockett
TE: Gesicki, OJH, Firkser
Team 4: 12-team SF TEP Devy
QB: Wilson, Geno, Ryan, Cousins
RB: Zeke, Chubb, Sanders, Pollard, Hines, Cohen, Henderson
WR: Cooper, Godwin, Sutton, JuJu, Samuel, Fuller, Shepard, Campbell
TE: Fant, Gesicki, Ertz, Freiermuth
Devy: Boutte, Young, Slovis, Harris
Team 5: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Dak, Lance, Jones, Cam
RB: Swift, Sanders, Dobbins, Pollard
WR: Sutton, DJM, Golladay, Chase, Pittman, Kirk, Campbell, Mims, Wallace
TE: Herndon, Gesicki, Freiermuth

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: CMC for Najee Deal (POLL)

Postby Gator Sens » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:15 am

I think the value is pretty solid overall. If CMC comes back healthy he could outscore Harris the rest of the way but Harris looks like a top 10 back and coming into next year could be more valuable than CMC already and almost certainly will be post 2022. This could go either way this year but long term I really like the deal for you and I don't think this hurts your chances in anyway this season either. Harris looks the part.

OhSnapItsAnt
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby OhSnapItsAnt » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:37 am

You’d have to think, with CMCs injuries and with Hubbard showing well.. that they will have to be smart and not give CMC such a heavy workload in the future.
If they do that, I’d definitely prefer to have Najee. Najee definitely looks the part and as much as I can’t stand MT. There so more upside and value if MT can bounce back then Marshall will ever have IMO.

I’d be really tempted to do this trade.
Team 1:
10 team SF, .5 ppr
1-QB 1-SF 3-WR 2-RB 1-TE 1-Flex
QB: Allen, Burrow, Goff, Aidan OConnel
RB: ETN, K Walker, Swift, D Pierce, Monty, Herbert, McLaughlin
WR: Deebo, AJB, Lamb, DJM, Dell, Higgins, Jeudy, E Moore, Michael Wilson, Tutu
TE: Kinkaid, Schultz, Njoku

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby blemly » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:01 am

I agree with everything you both said about the pros and cons and appreciate the responses. It is still a tough decision, because I do not want to miss out on the incredible positional advantage CMC can be *when healthy.*

DynastyKing23
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyKing23 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:22 am

You take that and run. I'd take najee ide over cmc and Marshall without the MT cherry on top.

Many owners got stuck with Gurley when he plummeted and couldn't get anything in return. Happens frequently with RB and cmc was always overused and undersized. Was a nice run but he might fall off that cliff at any moment and then you're stuck with a bench clogger.

Najee can give you 5 more years of elite level rb compared to possibly 1 from cmc if you're lucky, I tend to think even when he comes back he'll either be on a snap count with the rookie biting his heels or he'll be reinjured in the 1st quarter of a game when u need the win the most for your team and get 2 pts from him.
Last edited by DynastyKing23 on Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
12 team PPR 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2 FLEX

QB- Burrow, Murray, Stafford, G Smith
RB- CMC, Taylor, Swift, Jacobs, B Hall, Gibbs, A Jones, Najee
WR- Kupp, AJB, ARSB, K Allen, Pittman, London, Puka, Dell
TE- Kelce, Hockenson, Pitts

Picks

2024 2nd, (2)3rd, 5th
2025 1st, (2)3rd, 5th
2025 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby blemly » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:38 am

DynastyKing23 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:22 am You take that and run. I'd take najee ide over cmc and Marshall without the MT cherry on top.

Many owners got stuck with Gurley when he plummeted and couldn't get anything in return. Happens frequently with RB and cmc was always overused and undersized. Was a nice run but he might fall off that cliff at any moment and then you're stuck with a bench clogger.

Najee can give you 5 more years of elite level rb compared to possibly 1 from cmc if you're lucky, I tend to think even when he comes back he'll either be on a snap count with the rookie biting his heels or he'll be reinjured in the 1st quarter of a game when u need the win the most for your team and get 2 pts from him.
I don't really think Gurley and CMC are apt comparisons, but I hear you. Sure, Gurley caught 50-60 balls/year at his peak, but CMC is more 50/50 when it comes to receiving and rushing work and sees almost 2x the amount of targets Gurley ever did each year. I believe CMC can be a 50-60 catch/year guy even on a snap count for the next 3-5 years. That might not be your RB1, but if his production decrease allows you to play him into his late 20s as an RB2 or even Flex, that is still very valuable and not comparable to the cliff dive Gurley took. It is important to note that Gurley's injury history was much different and more significant than CMCs. He tore his ACL in 2015 and developed arthritis in his knees as a result, basically ending his career.

DynastyKing23
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyKing23 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:30 am

blemly wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:38 am
DynastyKing23 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:22 am You take that and run. I'd take najee ide over cmc and Marshall without the MT cherry on top.

I don't really think Gurley and CMC are apt comparisons, but I hear you. Sure, Gurley caught 50-60 balls/year at his peak, but CMC is more 50/50 when it comes to receiving and rushing work and sees almost 2x the amount of targets Gurley ever did each year. I believe CMC can be a 50-60 catch/year guy even on a snap count for the next 3-5 years. That might not be your RB1, but if his production decrease allows you to play him into his late 20s as an RB2 or even Flex, that is still very valuable and not comparable to the cliff dive Gurley took. It is important to note that Gurley's injury history was much different and more significant than CMCs. He tore his ACL in 2015 and developed arthritis in his knees as a result, basically ending his career.
I'm not comparing them in terms of style or usage , more so just comparing the drop off rbs face. Gurley was just the 1st example to mind but there's many. How many rbs get drafted in the top 5 and then the following year they plummet? I feel like that can very likely be cmc this year.

As far as usage and catches for ppr, if he's not going to be the cmc you drafted or reliable to be starting for you in the playoffs is he an upgrade over najee who is rb3 on the year and proving to be a ppr beast himself? I feel choosing cmc over najee at this point is simply based on name and they very likely will flip by next year. If the steelers ever get a line and open up some holes najee is going to explode.

As for the WR the only guys I liked this year were chase, waddle, and Bateman. DJM is the clear alpha and if cmc does come back I don't think there's enough targets to make Marshall anything special with darnold under center.
12 team PPR 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2 FLEX

QB- Burrow, Murray, Stafford, G Smith
RB- CMC, Taylor, Swift, Jacobs, B Hall, Gibbs, A Jones, Najee
WR- Kupp, AJB, ARSB, K Allen, Pittman, London, Puka, Dell
TE- Kelce, Hockenson, Pitts

Picks

2024 2nd, (2)3rd, 5th
2025 1st, (2)3rd, 5th
2025 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Trevormortis
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Trevormortis » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:47 am

blemly wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:38 am

This
Team 1. 12 team. 1 PPR. 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX 2017 2nd, 2018 2nd, 2019 1st, 2020 1st, 2021 2nd, 2022 1st
QB - Watson, G. Smith
RB - Henry, Ekeler, Kamara, D. Pierce, AJ Dillon, J. McLaughlin, Gainwell
WR - J. Jefferson, Diggs, AJ Brown, T. Higgins, M. Thomas, Cooks, Bateman, R. Moore, C. Tillman, J. Hyatt, D. Parker
TE - Kelce, J. Ferguson
2024 - 1,2,3,4,5
2025 - 1,2,3,4,5

Team 2. 12 team. .5 PPR. 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX 2019 1st, 2020 1st, 2021 2nd, 2023 Full rebuild mode
QB - Tua
RB - T. Spears, Z. Charbonnet, C. Hubbard, R. Rivers, D. Vaughn, J. Kelly, Chubb (IR)
WR - London, J. Downs, R. Rice, Burks, J. Jeudy, A. Pierce, C. Tillman, R. Bell, D. Parker, D. Slayton, Cooks
TE - J. Ferguson
2024 - 1,1,1,2,2,2
2025 - 1,1,2,2,5