Jalen Hurts: What's the verdict?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Re: Jalen Hurts: what's the verdict?

Postby Anteaters » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:31 pm

mild wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:14 pmGreat leader. Rallies the team around him when they're in a hole.
That part is 120% true. Hurts is a leader on the field and his troops respect him and follow his leadership.

Then again, Tebow was a great leader too, and he proved leadership skills alone cannot get the job done.

Though I doubt he has all the tools he needs, I am pulling for Hurts.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver, Waller
2023 semifinals loser

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:51 pm

Anteaters wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:31 pm Then again, Tebow was a great leader too, and he proved leadership skills alone cannot get the job done.
Oooof, invoking Tebow is a bit rough :lol:

Tebow could only dream of matching Lamar and Allen statistically in the modern era. I can't remember him ever having a tear like what Hurts is on right now...

Hurts isn't perfect, but he's shown enough to have highly piqued our interest as Dynasty owners, imo - regardless of whether he's the Eagles starter, or somewhere else in 2022.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:48 pm

He has a long way to go but Sirianni doesnt do him any favors.

dipANDglide
All Pro
All Pro

Postby dipANDglide » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:28 pm

Easy sell if you can get QB1 prices. I'd hold otherwise.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:59 pm

He isn't an NFL starting QB. He's great for FF for now, but that's only as long as he holds a starting job. Major sell, IMO. Just nothing to his game. Run around and try and extend the play, or quick pass that's designed because he has no clue how to read a field.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:03 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:59 pm He isn't an NFL starting QB. He's great for FF for now, but that's only as long as he holds a starting job. Major sell, IMO. Just nothing to his game. Run around and try and extend the play, or quick pass that's designed because he has no clue how to read a field.
I’m not gonna totally go to bat for him but the play calling and the designs are awful.

That three step for 2 points to Watkins was awesome. One throw yes, but where was that for the other 40 calls vs the elite bucks pass rush with Barrett all over the place.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:17 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:03 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:59 pm He isn't an NFL starting QB. He's great for FF for now, but that's only as long as he holds a starting job. Major sell, IMO. Just nothing to his game. Run around and try and extend the play, or quick pass that's designed because he has no clue how to read a field.
I’m not gonna totally go to bat for him but the play calling and the designs are awful.

That three step for 2 points to Watkins was awesome. One throw yes, but where was that for the other 40 calls vs the elite bucks pass rush with Barrett all over the place.
It is, but you have to wonder how much is because he's such a limited QB. I see nothing from Hurts beyond the rushing that makes him a viable NFL QB. Teams are going to focus on hemming him in more and more. He hates the pocket, and teams are going to do their best to scheme ways to force him to be there.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:58 am

Extremely likable guy and easy to root for, but you're spot on. This is who he is as a player. Was that way in college and remains today.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Nix
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, Connor, Benson
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Woods

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:24 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:58 am
Extremely likable guy and easy to root for, but you're spot on. This is who he is as a player. Was that way in college and remains today.
It strange but he still is winning some game, lost by a score last night.
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:36 am

I was getting major Tebow vibes last night. He's a noticeably better version than Tebow, but similar profile (great runner, serious accuracy problems, off-the-charts intangibles). He's got some serious development ahead if he wants to ever become a franchise QB. Question is if the Eagles are willing to give him as much time as he needs.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:54 am

dynastyninja wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:36 am I was getting major Tebow vibes last night. He's a noticeably better version than Tebow, but similar profile (great runner, serious accuracy problems, off-the-charts intangibles). He's got some serious development ahead if he wants to ever become a franchise QB. Question is if the Eagles are willing to give him as much time as he needs.
Agreed. That play early on where he scrambled to his left right into a defender for a 2 yard loss rather than just throw the ball away for an imcompletion. I dont think the game has slowed down enough for him yet and he's got a long way to go. I'm just not sure there's enough time for that development. With 2(3) firsts next year there's going to be a lot of calls for a change sooner than later.

Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mike11 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:59 am

CGW wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:54 am
dynastyninja wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:36 am I was getting major Tebow vibes last night. He's a noticeably better version than Tebow, but similar profile (great runner, serious accuracy problems, off-the-charts intangibles). He's got some serious development ahead if he wants to ever become a franchise QB. Question is if the Eagles are willing to give him as much time as he needs.
Agreed. That play early on where he scrambled to his left right into a defender for a 2 yard loss rather than just throw the ball away for an imcompletion. I dont think the game has slowed down enough for him yet and he's got a long way to go. I'm just not sure there's enough time for that development. With 2(3) firsts next year there's going to be a lot of calls for a change sooner than later.
It'll be interesting to see if the Eagles stick by him, I think it's been said but to me it's really Watson or bust if they want to go that route (and personally I don't think they should). My analysis is, 1) Give him the whole year 2) Assess at year and and use those other picks to continue building talent around him 3) Either stop gap next year if he's that bad and aim for 2023 or see if another team wants him. I wouldn't be shocked if another QB needy team wants him honestly, I think there a worse starters when you consider his upside.
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:16 am

Mike11 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:59 am
CGW wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:54 am
It'll be interesting to see if the Eagles stick by him, I think it's been said but to me it's really Watson or bust if they want to go that route (and personally I don't think they should). My analysis is, 1) Give him the whole year 2) Assess at year and and use those other picks to continue building talent around him 3) Either stop gap next year if he's that bad and aim for 2023 or see if another team wants him. I wouldn't be shocked if another QB needy team wants him honestly, I think there a worse starters when you consider his upside.
They have 3 firsts, assuming Wentz plays enough. With that kind of capital, they won't pass on a QB upgrade, IMO. You only have a shot every so often, via draft or trade. I believe the Eagles will use it. Nobody wants to be in QB purgatory, and that's exactly what Hurts is.
Janiel Dones Truther

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:55 am

Saw this on Twitter:

In 9 full games as a starter, he has at least 21 points in each start. He's averaging 27 points in those starts.

Could be a better fantasy player than football player, or perhaps the Eagles aren't maximizing a player who could actually be really good

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:08 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:55 am Saw this on Twitter:

In 9 full games as a starter, he has at least 21 points in each start. He's averaging 27 points in those starts.

Could be a better fantasy player than football player, or perhaps the Eagles aren't maximizing a player who could actually be really good
Yeah, based on everything I have seen, it's the former, not the latter. After watching the Monday game, followed by the Thursday game, there's no doubt in my mind Wentz is the better real life QB. I don't doubt that it was time for the two sides to part ways, but I think the Eagles definitely should look into a move next year with those picks, one way or another. They are stuck in a holding pattern with this guy. He's just not talented enough in any facet of the game to make the style he plays excel. I think the Eagles off season next year will be one of the most exciting, in terms of FF shake up.
Janiel Dones Truther