Rookie QB discussion

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: Rookie QB discussion

Postby mild » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:04 am

CubfanAA wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:36 am
mild wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:31 pm QB's with no downfield passing component are players we want to avoid short-and-long-term in fantasy. (Dalton, Fields TBD, Jimmy G)
This is why it's bad to take data like this chart and make fantasy takes about it without digging into the actual play. Fields deep passing ability is actually one of his best attributes. You just can't tell from this chart, because in his 1 start so far he had the worst offensive line play of any game this year along with some of the worst play-calling from his coach. Yet he is being listed here as a long-term avoid because of his downfield passing. It's just flawed for dynasty thinking in a big time way. Short term I agree in that his offensive line won't change much this year and Nagy won't get fired until year end, but long-term he will almost for sure be in a better situation next year (it really can't get worse). This is why one of the other QB's you have listed is Dalton. It's not the QB at all...it's the situation which will change long-term.
I don't disagree necessarily - but I did add "TBD" for a reason.

It's all well and good to have a killer arm that can push downfield, but if you can't get past your 1st read then "just throw it deep, hurrrrr" is easily solved. Two high safety, try and QB contain and keep him in the pocket, and force him to find the soft spot in the shorter/intermediate zones - aka, exactly what the Brandon Staley defense does... aka... the defense that is taking over the league at the moment, and the reason that McVay got off Goff despite great cost to his war chest.

At the moment, I'm not seeing an ability to read the field from Fields.

He's not at all helped by his surroundings, for sure. We'll see if he can look closer to being a QB that can play in the NFL next game he starts.

Shankopotamus
Starter
Starter

Postby Shankopotamus » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:23 am

Trevor Lawrence has been wildly inaccurate it seems. Do the numbers match my eyes?
12 Team Super-Flex TEP Dynasty
22 CHAMP :dance:
(2019 & 2020 Runner-Up) :wall:

1 QB, 3 RB, 4 WR, Flex, SF, 2 TE

3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 1 Flex IDP

QB- Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, Gardner Minshew, Sam Ehlinger
RB- D’Andre Swift, Nick Chubb, Javonte Williams, Cam Akers, Kyren Williams, Jerome Ford, D’Ernest Johnson, Darrell Henderson
WR- DK Metcalf, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, Jameson Williams, Gabe Davis, Hollywood Brown, Josh Reynolds, Calvin Austin, Laviska Shenault, Kyle Phillips
TE-Mark Andrews, Greg Dulcich, Isaiah Likely, Donald Parham, Tyler Conklin
DL-Danielle Hunter, Nick Bosa, Deforest Buckner, Jonathon Allen
LB- Micah Parsons, Jack Sanborn, Logan Wilson, Cole Holcomb, Nakobe Dean, Brian Asamoah
DB-Jeremy Chinn, Jalen Pitre, Jalen Thompson, Kam Curl, Darrick Forrest
K-Tyler Bass

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:30 am

Tres Peu Coup d'oeil ... as he is known in French Quarters or someday when he plays for the AGAIN newly reformed Alouettes in about 2035 who will be the 2nd Canadian NFL franchise ( the first being the Edmonton Inuit Elks as a concession to the “WOKE” crowd that our current NFL panders constantly to )

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:08 pm

*Trey Lance has entered the chat*

6 yard pass: ROCKET BALL
60 yard pass: ROCKET BALL
Screen pass: ROCKETTTT BAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

(Feel free to sing this post to the tune of Rocket Man)

Seriously. This man has zero touch on his ball.

Shanny's big trade up looking very rough right now, and SF looking like by far the worst team in the NFC West. Heaps of talent on this roster, but I would call the QB play to this point "rather disappointing".

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:01 pm

abloom wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:07 pm Davis mills looking like the 2nd best QB in the class behind Jones.

:lol:
not so much anymore.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:53 pm

mild wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:08 pm *Trey Lance has entered the chat*

Shanny's big trade up looking very rough right now, and SF looking like by far the worst team in the NFC West. Heaps of talent on this roster, but I would call the QB play to this point "rather disappointing".
This is so true. I’ve been thinking this since the preseason. All the Lance truthers were whining about his receivers letting him down, but the fact is that he was throwing short passes at 100mph. I love everything I’ve seen about Lance overall, but this has me concerned. To date, I’ve seen no signs to suggest that he is working on improving this either.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:58 pm

BabyChark23 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:53 pm

This is so true. I’ve been thinking this since the preseason. All the Lance truthers were whining about his receivers letting him down, but the fact is that he was throwing short passes at 100mph. I love everything I’ve seen about Lance overall, but this has me concerned. To date, I’ve seen no signs to suggest that he is working on improving this either.
He's going to put up some points on the ground, that much is certain. Lamar looked really bad as a passer his first year. Lance is going to need to improve a lot on his touch, and timing, for sure, though. He's got a long way to go. To be fair, it wasn't the plan for him to be playing this early.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:28 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:58 pm

He's going to put up some points on the ground, that much is certain. Lamar looked really bad as a passer his first year. Lance is going to need to improve a lot on his touch, and timing, for sure, though. He's got a long way to go. To be fair, it wasn't the plan for him to be playing this early.
Did we watch the same game? Lance was noticeably taking off a lot on the short passes and completely lobbed the ball to Samuel on the broken play.

He did look very inaccurate under pressure and indecisive; But he showcased a nimbleness in the pocket making free rushers miss repeatedly.

Definitely did not look pretty, but every rookie QB save for Mac Jones has looked similarly challenged this year.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:06 pm

Sriracha wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:28 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:58 pm

Did we watch the same game? Lance was noticeably taking off a lot on the short passes and completely lobbed the ball to Samuel on the broken play.

He did look very inaccurate under pressure and indecisive; But he showcased a nimbleness in the pocket making free rushers miss repeatedly.

Definitely did not look pretty, but every rookie QB save for Mac Jones has looked similarly challenged this year.
I said he had to work on his touch. You don't think he does? What did I say that wasn't accurate about Lance? I wasn't the one who made the statements that he was throwing nothing but rockets. I just commented that he needs to work on his touch, and has a long way to go. His accuracy is a big problem, too, no doubt.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janiel Dones Truther

grandmabetty
Captain
Captain

Postby grandmabetty » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:07 pm

22 points in one half of football for lance? What the problem is?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:10 pm

grandmabetty wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:07 pm 22 points in one half of football for lance? What the problem is?
People are talking about him as a passer. See, guys that don't become good passers and win games, eventually aren't in your FF lineup. Not saying that's the case, but people were talking more long term outlook and the investment the 49ers made. Way too early to tell, but Lance is nowhere near being a good NFL QB yet. Short term outlook, FF points sure, he did fine. He also stepped into a game trailing, with the D willing to give up underneath stuff. Not a difficult situation for him to put up points in. From a football perspective, there is a lot of improvement needed. I roster Lance, but he has a ton to work on. He needs to get better, and hopefully he will. He's 21.
Janiel Dones Truther

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:58 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:06 pm I said he had to work on his touch. You don't think he does? What did I say that wasn't accurate about Lance? I wasn't the one who made the statements that he was throwing nothing but rockets. I just commented that he needs to work on his touch, and has a long way to go. His accuracy is a big problem, too, no doubt.
To be fair, I wrote my Rocket Man post when he was 1 for 6 for 76 yards. That play was a busted coverage, and the ball flew like a wounded duck. If there'd been any defender even remotely close to Deebo, that's incomplete - or a pick. From the Game Log, SF's Trey Lance possessions looked like this:

Punt
Punt
Fumble
Touchdown (Deebo, busted coverage)
Punt
Turnover on Downs
Touchdown (Game out of reach / Seahawks in soft zone)

Outside of that one play, it took until 4:30 remaining in the 4th Quarter (with the game at 28-13 - ie, two score game, ie mathematically out of reach - ie garbagio time) for him to put a decent drive together. Was that Seahawks defense relaxed and playing soft zone, letting them waste time whilst keeping everything in front of them? Because that's what it looked like to me. (I admittedly still need to rewatch this one more closely)

I'm in no hurry to write the book on Trey Lance, we've only just started page 1 of his NFL career. I'm just pointing out - as a QB, he has a long way to go to be worthy of the absolute mortgage Shanny gave up to go and get him in the draft.
grandmabetty wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:07 pm 22 points in one half of football for lance? What the problem is?
I mean, he's going to be great as a running back. But if he can't beat teams through the air, then it won't be long before teams throw the Lamar playoff defense at him and force him to do it. He doesn't look as proficient as Lamar at avoiding hits in the running game, either - he's a much bigger, gangly-limbed guy; he's going to take a beating playing this way for sure.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:00 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:06 pm
I said he had to work on his touch. You don't think he does? What did I say that wasn't accurate about Lance? I wasn't the one who made the statements that he was throwing nothing but rockets. I just commented that he needs to work on his touch, and has a long way to go. His accuracy is a big problem, too, no doubt.
I wasn't singling you out in particular, just quoted the last tree of comments.

I agree Lance has a lot to work on. He looked like Colin Kaepernick out there (which is both good and bad). Only time will tell if he can shore up the shortcomings that served as limiting factors for Kaep. But in any case, he should be fantasy gold as long as he's starting.

grandmabetty
Captain
Captain

Postby grandmabetty » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:21 am

Wow some very harsh critics here. What happened to trusting the 49ers staff? What happened to draft capital? What happened to rookies being given time to develop? Guys it was one game in which he didn't even start. Does he have things he needs to work on? Absolutely he does. How is this any different than what we already knew about the kid.

On previous pages people were drooling over mac Jones. I dont think Jones will ever be a good fantasy football player. He's baker Mayfield without balls. I like him as a game manager and will probably win a lot of football games and lose a lot of fantasy football matchups. He will finish in thr 20-32 QB by points every year he starts

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:48 am

grandmabetty wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:21 am On previous pages people were drooling over mac Jones. I dont think Jones will ever be a good fantasy football player. He's baker Mayfield without balls. I like him as a game manager and will probably win a lot of football games and lose a lot of fantasy football matchups.
I think your idea of a QB losing you games is different than mine. QB's with high completion percentage and low turnover rates arent losing you games. QBs who are inefficient, turn the ball over recklessly and pile up negative points are the ones who lose you games. Mac Jones aint that. Its odd that someone can critique a rookie QB who has a completion % of 70% and not think Drew Brees or Tom Brady trajectory.
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"