Corey Davis / Mike Williams

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Jfever
Legend
Legend

Corey Davis / Mike Williams

Postby Jfever » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:51 am

These two wide recievers from the same 2017 draft class were drafted early and once had a bright future. Entering year 5 and both have their arrows slightly pointed up. I know Davis can be a bit polarizing. Simply put he has disapointed and not lived up to his draft capital. There are excuses and scape goats - but thats all in the past. A fresh start with the Jets and with a talented rookie prospect Qb in Z.Wilson may turn things around. Target volume should be there.

Much of the same can be said about Williams but for him it seems to be more about health. He hasn't consistantly been healthy. He too hasn't lived up to draft capital. Both of these wide outs had good days yesterday. Thoughts going forward? Will these two or either of them prove to be trustworthy starters or are they both destined to be depth guys for fantasy purposes?

Reason I ask is I received an offer of a 2023 3rd for Davis last week. Had to chuckle while I clicked decline.

Peace
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Corey Davis / Mike Williams

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:08 am

Davis is due for a big year in my opinion. Williams could definitely have one, as well, but he's got a lot more competition.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:45 am

I've always believed in these 2... not really, I've had my doubts for a while. I liked both coming out and stuck by them most places, but it was more of a "What am I going to get for them anyway?" Instead of a strong conviction that they would be useful.

Another reason draft capital is king

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:23 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:45 am I've always believed in these 2... not really, I've had my doubts for a while. I liked both coming out and stuck by them most places, but it was more of a "What am I going to get for them anyway?" Instead of a strong conviction that they would be useful.

Another reason draft capital is king
Right, If draft capital hadn't been invested, we wouldn't be talking about these two. But, for those of us that are long in the tooth, it used to be a normal and expected learning curve of a few years before many players (even highly drafted wr, qb, and te) transitioned into a successful and productive role in fantasy. The days of instant gratification have contributed to less patience. But, the early success of a select few has also influenced our perspective.

I'm looking forward to seeing how these two 2017 early 1st rounders do this year.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:28 pm

My read is that Davis could be in for big things as a target hog in that offense... the only question is if the O-line can hold up.

This was MWilliams first EVER 10+ target game when KAllen was playing with Herbert at QB. There was talk this offseason that he'd be getting many more targets this year... is this game an aberration, or is this a sign of things to come (and a sign we should target him in a trade)?
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Chubb, Connor, Pacheco, Mattison, DCook, Perine
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, JJeudy, CSutton, Flowers, MThomas, Slayton, DParker, CDavis, DMims
TE: DSchultz, Musgrave, MGesicki, McBride, Kraft, Dissly
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.10, 1.12, 2.01, 2.02

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: Hull, Jackson, Vaughn, Wilson
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.07, 1.09, 1.10, 1.12, 2.01

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:22 pm

Shcritters wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:28 pm My read is that Davis could be in for big things as a target hog in that offense... the only question is if the O-line can hold up.

This was MWilliams first EVER 10+ target game when KAllen was playing with Herbert at QB. There was talk this offseason that he'd be getting many more targets this year... is this game an aberration, or is this a sign of things to come (and a sign we should target him in a trade)?
Probably more of a blip for Mike Will as, like you mentioned, he needs the targets. LAC had the ball for 36 mins yesterday. Herbert attempted 47 passes. Ekeler only had 15 touches and 0 targets. I know Herbert is more of a downfield passer than what LAC is used to, but Ekelers targets post injury last year with Herbert: 16, 9, 9, 4, 3, 7. Feels like this was the perfect storm for Big Mike. I'm not even on the Ekeler-RB1 hype train, but he needs to be more involved.

I think Williams commands 5-8 targets a game pending how the defense plays Ekeler and Allen. I guess he's in a huge range of WR3. Herbert probably continues throwing that much per game though if I had to guess, but can't expect TOP to allow it everygame

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:52 pm

Shcritters wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:28 pm My read is that Davis could be in for big things as a target hog in that offense... the only question is if the O-line can hold up.

They were saying the with the OC, Mike Williams is now in the Michael Thomas role, which is target heavy. I think he was a good off-season buy and the window is closing fast.

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:37 pm

thebeast wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:52 pm

They were saying the with the OC, Mike Williams is now in the Michael Thomas role, which is target heavy. I think he was a good off-season buy and the window is closing fast.
I just bought him for 2 2nd rounders right before the season started. As my WR7 or 8 I am very excited for him. KA has to fall off the table sometime soon. And this is a contract year for Williams. Its make or break for his career! Im putting money on him making it count big time at least for this year.
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"
⛳️Jaguars will finish 11-6 and make the playoffs
⛳️If Sam Darnold finishes outside of the top 13 QB in 2021 then StripesOfKC & Sriracha get to decide what my new handle and icon will be. :thumbup:

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
START: QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 3 FLEX, 1 SUPERFLEX
ROSTER STARTERS
QB: S. Darnold (CAR)
RB: J. Jacobs (LV), L. Fournette (TB)
WR: Cooper (DAL), Ridley (ATL), M. Williams (LAC)
TE: R. Seals-Jones (WAS), M. Alie-Cox (IND)
FLEX: Sutton (DEN), J. Smith-Schuster (PIT), D. Harris (NE)
SUPERFLEX: M. Jones (NE)

BENCH:
QB: Rudolph (PIT), Book (NO), Minshew (PHL), Stidham (NE)
RB: Cord. Patterson (ATL), A. Collins (SEA), D. Dallas (SEA), K. Vaughn (TB), JJ Taylor (NE), S. Perine (CIN)
WR: M. Jones (JAX), Zaccheus (ATL), G. Olszewski (NE)
TE: B. Jarwin (DAL), D. Asiasi (NE)
IR: Tre' Q. Smith (NO), Tyrod Taylor (HOU), Chark Jr (JAX), R. Penny (SEA)

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:10 pm

I have always liked both a lot and owned both for years. I really needed RB help, so I bought Conner for Williams early in the off season, hate it as of now!! I think Williams has the big upside due to QB but is behind an alpha target hog while Davis has an inconsistent young QB but a ton of targets. Pretty much even for me based on the first two weeks with the lean to Davis based only on him being the top option in New York.