D'Wayne Eskridge and Older WRs to Enter the Draft?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

D'Wayne Eskridge and Older WRs to Enter the Draft?

Postby StripesOfKC » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:03 pm

Just an observation I have made but the recent track record of old WR prospects drafted high is surprisingly not bad:

D’Wayne Eskridge 2021

Van Jefferson 2020

Terry McLaurin 2019

Anthony Miller 2018

Calvin Ridley 2018

Kenny Golladay 2017

Cooper Kupp 2017

ArDarius Stewart (don't even remember this guy existing) 2017

So 4 great players and 3 trash ones

Now as a rule of thumb the dynasty community wants younger rookies (I do too!)

I want the guy who came into college at 18, broke out and dominated at 19 (ideally broke out at 18 but definitely broke out by 19), dominated by 20 and declared for the NFL to be an age 21 rookie

A "rookie" who is 23 or 24 has less time to develop before he hits what is supposed to be his prime, is probably closer to a finished product and was playing his final college seasons as a grown man against kids (ie he should have been looking like a stud)

But for the devalued price these guys go for (except Ridley and maybe Miller--he had some real hype)--as hit and miss of a group as it is (not to mention a small sample size)--it doesn't seem like an awful gamble

Which leads me to the question: Is D'Wayne Eskridge being undervalued?

I had no interest in a guy who'd be 25 after his rookie year but have ended up with quite a few shares just because a 2nd round rookie (and the Rams were reportedly set to take him one pick after the Seahawks so he was definitely going 2nd round) just for how much he's falling

If a film guy has more to say I'm curious

Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: D'Wayne Eskridge and Older WRs to Enter the Draft?

Postby Ice » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:59 am

My take has always been that players grow up and mature at different rates. Obviously we chase younger breakout players but we also still see 3rd year breakout types.

Players to a point get better with age so discounting a kid at 22 as an example has always seemed strange to me. If a player breakouts as a senior or plays as a senior to further develop I have zero issue grabbing that asset.

Not sure but I think both Smith and Waddle turn 23 in the next few months and they were high first round draft picks in the NFL and lock dynasty first rounders.

Smith looks like the second coming of K. Allen in route acumen and was selected after Waddle. I am assuming they are considered pretty old but I don't put a lot of stock in age when looking at players until late in my personal ranking process. Like most though if two players look really close I tend go younger.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Postby Nanananananana » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:26 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:03 pm Just an observation I have made but the recent track record of old WR prospects drafted high is surprisingly not bad:

D’Wayne Eskridge 2021

Van Jefferson 2020

Terry McLaurin 2019

Anthony Miller 2018

Calvin Ridley 2018

Kenny Golladay 2017

Cooper Kupp 2017

ArDarius Stewart (don't even remember this guy existing) 2017

So 4 great players and 3 trash ones

Now as a rule of thumb the dynasty community wants younger rookies (I do too!)

I want the guy who came into college at 18, broke out and dominated at 19 (ideally broke out at 18 but definitely broke out by 19), dominated by 20 and declared for the NFL to be an age 21 rookie

A "rookie" who is 23 or 24 has less time to develop before he hits what is supposed to be his prime, is probably closer to a finished product and was playing his final college seasons as a grown man against kids (ie he should have been looking like a stud)

But for the devalued price these guys go for (except Ridley and maybe Miller--he had some real hype)--as hit and miss of a group as it is (not to mention a small sample size)--it doesn't seem like an awful gamble

Which leads me to the question: Is D'Wayne Eskridge being undervalued?

I had no interest in a guy who'd be 25 after his rookie year but have ended up with quite a few shares just because a 2nd round rookie (and the Rams were reportedly set to take him one pick after the Seahawks so he was definitely going 2nd round) just for how much he's falling

If a film guy has more to say I'm curious
In this year where rookie drafts were so shallow and beyond the early 2nd it’s a disaster, Eskridge is as good a dart throw as anyone. Now he does not have an impressive statistical profile, he is on a team that does not tend to support 3 receiving options and the two guys ahead of him are not going anywhere. I don’t own any shares but I was taking shots on Mond/Trask in that range just for the SFlex upside.

I think you’ll see some splash plays from Eskride because he’s fast but I wouldn’t expect anything consistent without injuries in front of him.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:08 pm

Eskridge doesn’t have a great analytical profile.. but it’s really not as bad as you’d expect because of his immense special teams contribution.

When you consider that he’s a converted defensive back, it’s entirely possible that he’s much better than his analytical profile would indicate.

Tyler Lockett is going to be 29 years old by the end of the month, and Eskridge is a 2nd round pick tethered to Russell Wilson… there is considerable upside that people are ignoring with his situation; and at his current draft price it won’t take much to find out what happens if he’s able to seize the opportunity in the coming years.