Thoughts on Damien Harris

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Re: Thoughts on Damien Harris

Postby dustyroads » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:51 am

I don't think there's some secret plan that the Patriots are employing here. But I do think the reports are encouraging, especially considering what we normally get out of the Patriots. However most of my belief is just on his talent. He was my 4th fav RB coming out after the big 3 pre-draft, and so far he's shown very well in his limited opportunities. I also think he's got the skills to be an every down back. Regardless of if the Patriots don't utilize their backfield like that, I think he gives them the opportunity to not telegraph the play by needing to sub out, at least from a pass catching aspect. I'm sure he still has more to do to get better with blocking as well, but he has the size and never was a liability there in college either. And for the next to nothing price I've been paying to get him in most of my leagues, I'll stay my typical "talent over situation" course at his value. I don't realistically expect him to blow up this year, hence why it was my flag plant; and even then I think it'll be at best the second half of the season. But, I think once he gets enough opportunities to catch a rhythm, he'll show he's a better all around package then any of the other backs on the team. I am obviously higher on him then consensus as well lol, but really I'm shooting for a second year breakout with slight hopes he could be flex/bye worthy come playoff time if I get an injury to a starter.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:53 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:36 am Good bump for Harris

But, trusting early down New England backs year to year still remains harmful. Stevenson probably gets a bump too. Just not one of those situations I'm interested in.

Belichick using firsts on Michel and Harry....phew.
Sony was definitely worth a first for the Pats and they have the banner to prove it.

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:57 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:29 am
The MAC Machine wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:06 am
mild wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:03 am

Don't shoot the messenger. Just saying what I'm seeing, and posting what the beat is saying.

"Damien Harris took the first handoff of every 11-on-11 period, which has been the case throughout the summer. Rhamondre Stevenson took the second handoff each period today, so he got the biggest bump following the Sony Michel trade."

https://twitter.com/jeffphowe/status/14 ... 40194?s=20
I think when it comes to Patriots RBs versatility matters. Right now JJ Taylor is the only RB that has shown he can be explosive both catching and rushing. So while I believe Harris is the starting rusher, I think that JJ Taylor is going to be that guy that gets his no matter who is there because of that explosiveness and ability to contribute in both facets of the game. Stevenson may be the 2a, but I believe Taylor will be the 1b.
Thing is, it's likely only 1 is active on game day. JJ is a COP back, doesn't have lead back ability. If Harris goes out, Rhamondre may step in, but I think Bolden is still a special teamer, if I'm not mistaken, so if that's the case, Harris, White and Bolden are locks for game day active status, leaving 1 of JJ or Rhamondre, assuming they role with 4 RB's, which is typical.
Thats the thing, I dont see White as being a lock. Remember if a young player is performing well enough and providing enough value, BB will not hesitate to move forward with them over a veteran. James White has not really ever offered them explosiveness in the rushing attack and it seems like Mac Jones and Taylor have built their own rapport. I think that if and when the Patriots move forward with Mac, James White will be left in the past. Guys like Edelman, Sony, and James White are/were remnants of the past and I think Mac Jones starting will usher in a new era of Patriot players but with similar attributes and roles.

Brady - Mac Jones
Edelman - Olszewski
Starting RB - Harris
Reserve RB - Stevenson
White - Taylor
Gronk and Hernandez - Henry and Smith

None of this is by accident. Its a template. And deciding which one to own is pointless. They are better owned as a unit.
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:16 am

The MAC Machine wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:57 amI think that if and when the Patriots move forward with Mac, James White will be left in the past. Guys like Edelman, Sony, and James White are/were remnants of the past and I think Mac Jones starting will usher in a new era of Patriot players but with similar attributes and roles.

Brady - Mac Jones
Edelman - Olszewski
Starting RB - Harris
Reserve RB - Stevenson
White - Taylor

None of this is by accident. Its a template. And deciding which one to own is pointless. They are better owned as a unit.
An aside, but interesting you don't list Jakobi Meyers. He's a former QB, like Edelman.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:33 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:16 am
The MAC Machine wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:57 amI think that if and when the Patriots move forward with Mac, James White will be left in the past. Guys like Edelman, Sony, and James White are/were remnants of the past and I think Mac Jones starting will usher in a new era of Patriot players but with similar attributes and roles.

Brady - Mac Jones
Edelman - Olszewski
Starting RB - Harris
Reserve RB - Stevenson
White - Taylor

An aside, but interesting you don't list Jakobi Meyers. He's a former QB, like Edelman.
Not to mention their best WR

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:38 am

The MAC Machine wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:57 am

Thats the thing, I dont see White as being a lock. Remember if a young player is performing well enough and providing enough value, BB will not hesitate to move forward with them over a veteran.
I am sorry, but what? Bill if anything s loyal to players that buy into the system and put their noses down and work hard. I see no scenario that James White is not involved every Sunday.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:53 am

murphysxm wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:38 am

Thats the thing, I dont see White as being a lock. Remember if a young player is performing well enough and providing enough value, BB will not hesitate to move forward with them over a veteran.
I am sorry, but what? Bill if anything s loyal to players that buy into the system and put their noses down and work hard. I see no scenario that James White is not involved every Sunday.
White is their 3rd down back. No player young player has taken that role from him.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:56 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:16 am

Brady - Mac Jones
Edelman - Olszewski
Starting RB - Harris
Reserve RB - Stevenson
White - Taylor

And Bolden is a special teams guy. Usually the 4th RB that is active has a special teams role. He would be the reserve back. One of JJ Taylor or Stevenson is likely inactive on game days.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:33 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:29 am
The MAC Machine wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:06 am

I think when it comes to Patriots RBs versatility matters. Right now JJ Taylor is the only RB that has shown he can be explosive both catching and rushing. So while I believe Harris is the starting rusher, I think that JJ Taylor is going to be that guy that gets his no matter who is there because of that explosiveness and ability to contribute in both facets of the game. Stevenson may be the 2a, but I believe Taylor will be the 1b.
Thing is, it's likely only 1 is active on game day. JJ is a COP back, doesn't have lead back ability. If Harris goes out, Rhamondre may step in, but I think Bolden is still a special teamer, if I'm not mistaken, so if that's the case, Harris, White and Bolden are locks for game day active status, leaving 1 of JJ or Rhamondre, assuming they role with 4 RB's, which is typical.
Thats the thing, I dont see White as being a lock. Remember if a young player is performing well enough and providing enough value, BB will not hesitate to move forward with them over a veteran. James White has not really ever offered them explosiveness in the rushing attack and it seems like Mac Jones and Taylor have built their own rapport. I think that if and when the Patriots move forward with Mac, James White will be left in the past. Guys like Edelman, Sony, and James White are/were remnants of the past and I think Mac Jones starting will usher in a new era of Patriot players but with similar attributes and roles.

Brady - Mac Jones
Edelman - Olszewski
Starting RB - Harris
Reserve RB - Stevenson
White - Taylor

They're better off as an NFL unit and not near any fantasy starting lineups

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:27 am

If you can pick the right weeks to start the right Pats backs, it can definitely be huge. Guess that's why they call FF a game a skill? Idk though, when it comes to Pats RBs, that's some black belt level stuff. Good luck!
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:06 am

DLF3000 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:27 am If you can pick the right weeks to start the right Pats backs, it can definitely be huge. Guess that's why they call FF a game a skill? Idk though, when it comes to Pats RBs, that's some black belt level stuff. Good luck!
Sounds like they're better for DFS than season long.

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:09 pm

With the Patriots shedding Newton and Sony where does that put Harris' ceiling?

Im thinking 200+ carries with goal line TDs? Maybe 6-7?
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:21 pm

The MAC Machine wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:09 pm With the Patriots shedding Newton and Sony where does that put Harris' ceiling?

Im thinking 200+ carries with goal line TDs? Maybe 6-7?
200 sounds realistic in 2021. He had 137 last season on 10 games, so I suspect if he played all 17 he would hit 200 fairly easily. That said, I could see it coming in maddening doses. 30 one week and 10 the next.

Lets say 224/940/6 to go along with maybe 8 total receptions??

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:53 pm

With Cam gone, Harris value should significantly increase. He should get plenty of carries in the red zone this season for a change.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:12 pm

The odds of Harris becoming an every week start are getting better. No way the rookie is slinging it. Their receivers are pretty sad
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver