Gus Edwards Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Contenders: What are we paying for Gus Edwards?

Postby Yarnith » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:58 pm

I cant trust Gus as a RB1 because it feels like the Ravens don't. If they had faith in him as the workhorse they wouldn't have been spending draft capital on RB's every year he has been with them.

I would rather scoop up some cheap options as my flex/bi week guy and go with my roster than spend the first. I could do a 2nd and 3rd '22 because the class kind of sucks so why not but the 1's just not worth for an older "never was" guy IMO. People are assuming he will exceed his last 2 years of production when it is just as easy for him to be essentially the same and Lamar Jackson, Tyson Williams and Justice Hill get the carries Dobbins would have. I am sure many will pay a 1st for Gus but it doesn't mean you SHOULD pay it. If he is 6 weeks in with 600+yds and 6tds then yeah treat him like a real starter in a trade until then this is 'Benny Snell is worth a 1st with Conner out!" kind of talk.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:13 pm

Yarnith wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:58 pm I cant trust Gus as a RB1 because it feels like the Ravens don't. If they had faith in him as the workhorse they wouldn't have been spending draft capital on RB's every year he has been with them.

I would rather scoop up some cheap options as my flex/bi week guy and go with my roster than spend the first. I could do a 2nd and 3rd '22 because the class kind of sucks so why not but the 1's just not worth for an older "never was" guy IMO. People are assuming he will exceed his last 2 years of production when it is just as easy for him to be essentially the same and Lamar Jackson, Tyson Williams and Justice Hill get the carries Dobbins would have. I am sure many will pay a 1st for Gus but it doesn't mean you SHOULD pay it. If he is 6 weeks in with 600+yds and 6tds then yeah treat him like a real starter in a trade until then this is 'Benny Snell is worth a 1st with Conner out!" kind of talk.
Except that Benny Snell runs for less than 4.0 yards per carry, and has a handful of TD's in two seasons. Gus can actually play, and the team paid him because he's proven his worth. These two situations are not remotely close.

Edit: Bad spelling! :doh:
Last edited by Shoreline Steamers on Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:16 pm

Agree Gus is underrated, I thought he was worth almost a 2 before dobbins went down. Third or two doesn’t even come close for me. Only reason I failed to buy in my leagues is because their owners are even higher.

I also agree in theory with the post about overvaluing backups that become starters via injury, it’s generally correct. I just think Gus is on the short list of backups that are actually decent talents. If Cook or Zeke go down, there’s a valuable guy sitting there. If Najee goes down, I’m not real interested in a Steeler RB.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:34 pm

I'm contending and he's worth more on my roster. Giving him away for a 2nd (I'd definitely consider an early 2nd) to a contender who I'll have to go against? No thanks

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:36 pm

Feels like what people are willing to pay and what people would sell for won't align. My guess is that he's a hold.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:38 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:36 pm Feels like what people are willing to pay and what people would sell for won't align. My guess is that he's a hold.
Unless you have a rebuilder that fell into him, you likely won't see many deals of him as the main piece

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:36 pm

He went for a 2024 1st in my league. Thought that was a bit much.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:49 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:13 pm
Yarnith wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:58 pm I cant trust Gus as a RB1 because it feels like the Ravens don't. If they had faith in him as the workhorse they wouldn't have been spending draft capital on RB's every year he has been with them.

Except that Benny Snell runs for less than 4.0 yards per carry, and has a handful of TD's in two seasons. Gus can actually play, and the team payed him because he's proven his worth. These two situations are not remotely close.
:thumbup:

Gus Edwards is a legitimate NFL power back that has developed some wiggle throughout his NFL career. Comparing him to Snell is a travesty. Reminds me more of Michael Turner before he left San Diego.

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:35 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:13 pm Except that Benny Snell runs for less than 4.0 yards per carry, and has a handful of TD's in two seasons. Gus can actually play, and the team payed him because he's proven his worth. These two situations are not remotely close.
Except the team has never trusted him to carry the load so why should you? They are very close in the fact you should not assume the next guy up is gonna be a capable starter. The team never thought so and they kinda get paid to know about all this footbally stuff. They may be wrong and he is a beast but you should not invest him like its a given. Simply bad business.
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,

WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:48 pm

Yarnith wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:35 pm
Shoreline Steamers wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:13 pm Except that Benny Snell runs for less than 4.0 yards per carry, and has a handful of TD's in two seasons. Gus can actually play, and the team payed him because he's proven his worth. These two situations are not remotely close.
Except the team has never trusted him to carry the load so why should you? They are very close in the fact you should not assume the next guy up is gonna be a capable starter. The team never thought so and they kinda get paid to know about all this footbally stuff. They may be wrong and he is a beast but you should not invest him like its a given. Simply bad business.
Nah, Gus has shown to be considerably better than Snell. He's been consistent and efficient in multiple seasons as more than just a backup. I by no means treat PFF as gospel, but their grades aren't even comparable. 85.8 vs 56.1. Gus has never had less than 133 carries or less than 711 yards in 3 seasons. They may have never thought he was "the guy", but they had backs like Ingram and Dobbins who they felt were. It's almost September. "The guy" went down with an injury, and there is nobody else out there on the streets to replace him with.

Edwards was given a financial commitment to be a significant part of the offense, as he has been for 3 years. It just turns out, that this year he will be a more significant part due to an injured player. Gus has shown to be a capable starter before. Not sure why you would say that when it's simply not true. He out touched Ingram from weeks 11 on in 2018, and did very well. He had 654 yards on 122 carries (5.4 YPC) over those 7 games. That's over 17 carries per game. He's much better than Benny Snell, and has proven that.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:08 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:48 pm Nah, Gus has shown to be considerably better than Snell. He's been consistent and efficient in multiple seasons as more than just a backup. I by no means treat PFF as gospel, but their grades aren't even comparable. 85.8 vs 56.1. Gus has never had less than 133 carries or less than 711 yards in 3 seasons. They may have never thought he was "the guy", but they had backs like Ingram and Dobbins who they felt were. It's almost September. "The guy" went down with an injury, and there is nobody else out there on the streets to replace him with.

Edwards was given a financial commitment to be a significant part of the offense, as he has been for 3 years. It just turns out, that this year he will be a more significant part due to an injured player. Gus has shown to be a capable starter before. Not sure why you would say that when it's simply not true. He out touched Ingram from weeks 11 on in 2018, and did very well. He had 654 yards on 122 carries (5.4 YPC) over those 7 games. That's over 17 carries per game. He's much better than Benny Snell, and has proven that.
The hype is the same, starter is out this X backup is gonna be a star. I never compared the players as the players only the sudden assumption that he is now a 1st rnd pick+ because that is what trading a 1st+ for him says. He isn't and you shouldn't until he, and the Ravens coaches show you something. I clarified this twice now. YOU think he showed it.

I assume you mean 2019 since Ingram was a saint in 2018. 2019 Ingram had 202 carries in 15 games, I didn't bother fact checking you on your carries but 202 carries is a lot so I donno if ability had anything to do with that and it wasn't just taking some pressure off the main guy so he was fresh for the playoffs. I may even be wrong about why but I am not wrong to have doubts. You seem caught up on the random backup named I tossed out that was overhyped and people paid crazy prices to own. Pick any cautionary tale you like about over valuing a backup thrust into the starting role regardless how he looked before hand.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:14 pm

Yarnith wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:08 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:48 pm Nah, Gus has shown to be considerably better than Snell. He's been consistent and efficient in multiple seasons as more than just a backup. I by no means treat PFF as gospel, but their grades aren't even comparable. 85.8 vs 56.1. Gus has never had less than 133 carries or less than 711 yards in 3 seasons. They may have never thought he was "the guy", but they had backs like Ingram and Dobbins who they felt were. It's almost September. "The guy" went down with an injury, and there is nobody else out there on the streets to replace him with.

The hype is the same, starter is out this X backup is gonna be a star. I never compared the players as the players only the sudden assumption that he is now a 1st rnd pick+ because that is what trading a 1st+ for him says. He isn't and you shouldn't until he, and the Ravens coaches show you something. I clarified this twice now. YOU think he showed it.

I assume you mean 2019 since Ingram was a saint in 2018. 2019 Ingram had 202 carries in 15 games, I didn't bother fact checking you on your carries but 202 carries is a lot so I donno if ability had anything to do with that and it wasn't just taking some pressure off the main guy so he was fresh for the playoffs. I may even be wrong about why but I am not wrong to have doubts. You seem caught up on the random backup named I tossed out that was overhyped and people paid crazy prices to own. Pick any cautionary tale you like about over valuing a backup thrust into the starting role regardless how he looked before hand.
No, I conflated 2 different years. Gus was the outright starter in 2018 from weeks 11 on, in 2019 he shared touches with Ingram, my apologies. Alex Collins went down week 10 and Gus was the starter from then on in 2018. I was multitasking and had a brain fart. If you don't think 654 yards and a 5.4 average over 7 games as a starter is showing you can be good in the role, that's fine I DO, as you said. He's objectively better than Benny Snell by every conceivable metric pretty much, and I don't view the situations as comparable, as Edwards had a much larger role than Snell did as it was anyways.

I don't think anyone said he was going to be a star. Being productive, and being a star are 2 different things. Nobody beyond the Mac Machine thinks J Rob is a star, but he was still productive, with significant touches last year. Gus should easily hit 1000 yards and close to double digit TD's on the ground barring injury. I am not saying he's worth a first, FWIW, just that if you really want to take him off somebody's roster, that a first may have to come into play to get him.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:31 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:14 pm

No, I conflated 2 different years. Gus was the outright starter, in 2019 he shared touches with Ingram, my apologies. Alex Collins went down week 10 and Gus was the starter from then on. I was multitasking and had a brain fart. If you don't think 654 yards and a 5.4 average over 7 games as a starter is showing you can be good in the role, that's fine I DO, as you said. He's objectively better than Benny Snell by every conceivable metric pretty much, so I don't view the situations as comparable, as Edwards had a much larger role than Snell did as it was anyways.

I don't think anyone said he was going to be a star. Being productive, and being a star are 2 different things. Gus should easily hit 1000 yards and close to double digit TD's on the ground barring injury.
So he started 6 games in the back half of 2018. He was so impressive they signed Ingram for the job. Ingram had 200 touches and Gus had that nice tear again at the end of 2019?. They again were SO impressed by Gus they spent a second round pick on JK Dobbins. The Ravens have shown far less faith in him than you have.

You are pumping Edwards hard right now. People are advising he is worth a 1st+ to acquire. I am simply pumping the brakes on that noise. A 1st+ means he IS a star so if you don't think he is then he isn't worth that. I am not saying he wont have a solid year the context of the thread is what you pay for him. Everyone highlights the rosy stuff and feed each other into this frenzy of Edwards nirvana that is just wishful thinking. Until he shows some RB1 performance as the starter this year don't pay RB1 prices for him.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:33 pm

Yarnith wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:31 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:14 pm

No, I conflated 2 different years. Gus was the outright starter, in 2019 he shared touches with Ingram, my apologies. Alex Collins went down week 10 and Gus was the starter from then on. I was multitasking and had a brain fart. If you don't think 654 yards and a 5.4 average over 7 games as a starter is showing you can be good in the role, that's fine I DO, as you said. He's objectively better than Benny Snell by every conceivable metric pretty much, so I don't view the situations as comparable, as Edwards had a much larger role than Snell did as it was anyways.

I don't think anyone said he was going to be a star. Being productive, and being a star are 2 different things. Gus should easily hit 1000 yards and close to double digit TD's on the ground barring injury.
So he started 6 games in the back half of 2018. He was so impressive they signed Ingram for the job. Ingram had 200 touches and Gus had that nice tear again at the end of 2019?. They again were SO impressed by Gus they spent a second round pick on JK Dobbins. The Ravens have shown far less faith in him than you have.

You are pumping Edwards hard right now. People are advising he is worth a 1st+ to acquire. I am simply pumping the brakes on that noise. A 1st+ means he IS a star so if you don't think he is then he isn't worth that. I am not saying he wont have a solid year the context of the thread is what you pay for him. Everyone highlights the rosy stuff and feed each other into this frenzy of Edwards nirvana that is just wishful thinking. Until he shows some RB1 performance as the starter don't pay RB1 prices for him.
I'm not really pumping Edwards hard. It's just the reality that he's been productive in his opportunities with the team, and now he's going to get more opportunities. Pretty simple. You said you should not assume the next guy up can be a capable starter, and I pointed you to the fact he has shown he can be already, and if you don't think what he did during that time is "capable", I think you're being a bit disingenuous. Where are people saying a first plus?

I'm not showing faith in him beyond this season. I'm just saying, he's the best option they have now, and that likely won't change, so he's in for what should be a productive year, and it very well could be a one off year. He could see 250 plus carries this year, and never see that again. Most likely will be the case, assuming JK comes back healthy next year. JK is more talented.
Janiel Dones Truther

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:29 pm

MFundercover wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:36 pm He went for a 2024 1st in my league. Thought that was a bit much.
Nobody wanted to pony up two 2030 1sts?
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Nix
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, Connor, Benson
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Woods