Ja'Marr Chase Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Re: Ja'Marr Chase Thread

Postby Anteaters » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:19 am

alewilliam789 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:12 pm Here’s the point that’s being completely missed here. Even if Pitts isn’t Travis Kelce, as long as he fits into the Darren Waller tier he will still create an incredible positional advantage over most teams. On top of positional longevity with TEs, this dude is so young that even if he doesn’t hit he will still retain value just as TJ Hockenson did as a rookie because of the existing stigma that rookie TEs so rarely break out their rookie year’s. It will also be much easier for Pitts to be a highly TE4/5 as compared to WR4/5 for Chase.
That's my point exactly, though we seem to view it differently.

To justify his fantasy draft capital, Pitts has to become either the #1 TE or #2 TE of his era, season after season. Any season he slips to #4-#5 he becomes a bust for that season.

For instance, in 2020, Kelce averaged 20.9pts/gm and Waller 17.4pts/gm. After them, there are about eight TEs between 12.2-10.4pts/gm considered the next-best group - and that group is barely above the next group of 8-10 TEs who are as interchangeable as ice cubes. To be a true hard-to-get asset for a fantasy team, a highly drafted TE needs to finish in the top2or3 every season. Anything below that and he's just part of a group that can be acquired for a lot less than 1.03-05. I don't want to have to pick a perennial top2TE to make my draft successful.

Flip that to Chase. What if, in order for Chase to be worthy at 1.03 he HAS TO BECOME no worse than WR4 his rookie season and either WR1 or WR2 for the next 7 years? With those parameters for success, I'm not making that pick either. I don't want to base my draft's success on something that statistically happens 0.005% of the time.

I can watch Pitts' game film on a neverending loop for five months straight and I won't ever conclude I can predict he'll do that. Even the top 2 TEs of today took 3-4 seasons to become close to being considered for the top tier. If Pitts becomes the #3TE from 2020, Hockenson (11 pts/gm,) Pitts becomes LoganT and Tonyan (both 11pts/gm,) or maybe Guess-sicki (10.6pts/gm).

When you say Pitts doesn't have to become Kelce/Waller, you are saying it's okay/expected for Pitts to produce like Gesicki (700tds/6Tds in only 9 games starting). As big a Dolphins fan as I am, I'm never trading my 1.03 for Gesicki. Even if we elevate Pitts to Andrews (basically 800yds/8TDs) I don't think that's enough to consider him a better choice than Chase.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:49 am

alewilliam789 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:12 pm Here’s the point that’s being completely missed here. Even if Pitts isn’t Travis Kelce, as long as he fits into the Darren Waller tier he will still create an incredible positional advantage over most teams. On top of positional longevity with TEs, this dude is so young that even if he doesn’t hit he will still retain value just as TJ Hockenson did as a rookie because of the existing stigma that rookie TEs so rarely break out their rookie year’s. It will also be much easier for Pitts to be a highly TE4/5 as compared to WR4/5 for Chase.
The retain value part is true but Darren Waller is Kelce tier (or close enough). Asking Waller/Kittle as the expectation is still enormously high

Robert Tonyan was the TE4 last season. Try to trade him for a Diontae Johnson or Cooper Kupp and see what happens

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:05 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:49 am
The retain value part is true but Darren Waller is Kelce tier (or close enough). Asking Waller/Kittle as the expectation is still enormously high

Robert Tonyan was the TE4 last season. Try to trade him for a Diontae Johnson or Cooper Kupp and see what happens
Agreed. Waller is firmly in the Big 3 of TEs now. He looks like a healthy Jordan Reed.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:39 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:05 am
StripesOfKC wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:49 am

Agreed. Waller is firmly in the Big 3 of TEs now. He looks like a healthy Jordan Reed.
Many have Waller as TE 1, and yes, he's interchangeable with the other two in that tier.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:48 pm

Love the back and forth on Pitts.

However, back to chase.

I’m officially worried. Can explain away a good bit. But it ain’t lookin great right now. Has this hyped of a WR prospect had this rough a preseason? For any reason?
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Jrblaha
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jrblaha » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:19 pm

honcho55 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:48 pm Love the back and forth on Pitts.

However, back to chase.

I’m officially worried. Can explain away a good bit. But it ain’t lookin great right now. Has this hyped of a WR prospect had this rough a preseason? For any reason?
I’m not sure there’s ever been this hyped of a wr that took a year off of football. I expect him to have rust for the first half of the season, but hopefully get back to hyped wr after that
12 team. PPR. QB pass td = 6
Starters: QB(1) FLEX (RB/WR/TE)(2) RB(2) WR(3) TE(1)

QB: AR, DJones
RB: Gibby, Charb, KMiller, Akers
WR: Chase, Lamb, G Wilson, Tank Dell, Burks, Mimsy, Tutu, W Robinson, Tucker, Wicks, RBell
TE: DNjoku, Hunter Henry

Draft Picks: 2024: 1.2, 1.5, 1.11. 2025: 1st Round (2) 2nd Round (1), 2026: 1st Round (1) 2nd Round (2)

Shankopotamus
Starter
Starter

Postby Shankopotamus » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:32 pm

However, back to chase.

How hyped was Treadwell?
12 Team Super-Flex TEP Dynasty
22 CHAMP :dance:
(2019 & 2020 Runner-Up) :wall:

1 QB, 3 RB, 4 WR, Flex, SF, 2 TE

3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 1 Flex IDP

QB- Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, Gardner Minshew, Sam Ehlinger
RB- D’Andre Swift, Nick Chubb, Javonte Williams, Cam Akers, Kyren Williams, Jerome Ford, D’Ernest Johnson, Darrell Henderson
WR- DK Metcalf, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, Jameson Williams, Gabe Davis, Hollywood Brown, Josh Reynolds, Calvin Austin, Laviska Shenault, Kyle Phillips
TE-Mark Andrews, Greg Dulcich, Isaiah Likely, Donald Parham, Tyler Conklin
DL-Danielle Hunter, Nick Bosa, Deforest Buckner, Jonathon Allen
LB- Micah Parsons, Jack Sanborn, Logan Wilson, Cole Holcomb, Nakobe Dean, Brian Asamoah
DB-Jeremy Chinn, Jalen Pitre, Jalen Thompson, Kam Curl, Darrick Forrest
K-Tyler Bass

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:57 pm

Jrblaha wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:19 pm

However, back to chase.

I’m not sure there’s ever been this hyped of a wr that took a year off of football. I expect him to have rust for the first half of the season, but hopefully get back to hyped wr after that
There's no excuses for the drops he's had, though. Year off should have nothing to do with it. Unless of course he literally wasn't catching footballs at all in that time. Catching a pass right in your hands, when you are standing still isn't "rust" IMO. Especially with an entire off season program. Seems more like the yips, is what he has.

Jrblaha
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jrblaha » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:15 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:57 pm

However, back to chase.

There's no excuses for the drops he's had, though. Year off should have nothing to do with it. Unless of course he literally wasn't catching footballs at all in that time. Catching a pass right in your hands, when you are standing still isn't "rust" IMO. Especially with an entire off season program. Seems more like the yips, is what he has.
Catching footballs with a friend tossing you the ball, versus catching footballs in an actual game where big contact is going/could happen happen is different tho, and could definitely be caused by the year off imo. Feels like a mental condition from not playing last year, and I don’t think it’d be there if he had, but maybe you disagree.
12 team. PPR. QB pass td = 6
Starters: QB(1) FLEX (RB/WR/TE)(2) RB(2) WR(3) TE(1)

QB: AR, DJones
RB: Gibby, Charb, KMiller, Akers
WR: Chase, Lamb, G Wilson, Tank Dell, Burks, Mimsy, Tutu, W Robinson, Tucker, Wicks, RBell
TE: DNjoku, Hunter Henry

Draft Picks: 2024: 1.2, 1.5, 1.11. 2025: 1st Round (2) 2nd Round (1), 2026: 1st Round (1) 2nd Round (2)

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:18 pm

Jrblaha wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:15 pm

Catching footballs with a friend tossing you the ball, versus catching footballs in an actual game where big contact is going/could happen happen is different tho, and could definitely be caused by the year off imo. Feels like a mental condition from not playing last year, and I don’t think it’d be there if he had, but maybe you disagree.
It's definitely mental. That's sort of what the yips is. Psychological and motor skill functions that prevent you from performing a task that you used to be able to do with no issues. The concern for me is, that stuff sometimes isn't corrected. Hopefully it will be, but right now, he's got some serious issues with dropping the football, and it's been there for months.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:50 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:18 pm

It's definitely mental. That's sort of what the yips is. Psychological and motor skill functions that prevent you from performing a task that you used to be able to do with no issues. The concern for me is, that stuff sometimes isn't corrected. Hopefully it will be, but right now, he's got some serious issues with dropping the football, and it's been there for months.
can be a compounding thing as well, Chase was at his best when he didn't have to "think" about catching the ball. After so much time off he is a little rusty and drops a ball, no biggie, but then he starts to overthink his catching of the next ball, drops another....... I'm still confident of him turning it around but the mental side of this stuff does interest me. I didn't think Amari Cooper had many drops in college (I could be remembering wrong here) but damn did it take off once in the NFL.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:15 pm

AussieMate wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:50 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:18 pm

can be a compounding thing as well, Chase was at his best when he didn't have to "think" about catching the ball. After so much time off he is a little rusty and drops a ball, no biggie, but then he starts to overthink his catching of the next ball, drops another....... I'm still confident of him turning it around but the mental side of this stuff does interest me. I didn't think Amari Cooper had many drops in college (I could be remembering wrong here) but damn did it take off once in the NFL.
Personal life stuff may be getting to him, too, combined with the pressure (perhaps self imposed to some degree) of being a top 5 pick and the expectations of starting off hot, after his college teammate did last year. The time off stuff I don't really buy, TBH. Kenneth Gainwell has been the most targeted back in Eagles camp, and has been targeted in pre-season quite often, and haven't seen or heard an issue with him dropping passes. I remember Coop was hit and miss with the Raiders, and he really did have some issues that appeared to be upstairs, as he was just dropping passes he didn't used to at Bama, no doubt.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:32 am

if he tries to catch them with one hand he probably gets less drops.

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:54 am

They took this guy in the first round. Why will teams never learn?
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:58 am

TheNuts wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:54 am They took this guy in the first round. Why will teams never learn?
At 5 overall. When they have their franchise QB coming back from major injury and could've taken OL or traded down and received a haul.