Xavier Jones is this years James Robinson

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Xavier Jones is this years James Robinson

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:31 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:28 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:48 pm I honestly don't think there is a James Robinson this year. What he did doesn't happen too often.
This is my feeling every time there’s a “Who’s the Next [player who has an extremely rare breakout]” thread.

I have Jones where I have Henderson, and in another league where he was surprisingly a free pickup. He’s probably JAG, but given Henderson’s struggles staying healthy he’s worth the add.
I added Jones myself in leagues where he was on the wire. Had the same thought as the bolded. It's actually why I made that comment. Usually the answer to those threads is "nobody".

Not to get the thread off topic too much, but the Robinson trajectory was interesting last year. Some held out, instead of selling for a 2nd, then the price got to first, or even first plus if you were lucky, and now it's probably back down to a 2nd, or less. Those who got out at the height of his value, congrats. If you held, but he helped win you a title, congrats. WW adds like that (for most, or a 4th rd rookie pick) can really help a dynasty team out, with all the injuries, failed draft pick etc.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:40 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:31 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:48 pm I honestly don't think there is a James Robinson this year. What he did doesn't happen too often.
This is my feeling every time there’s a “Who’s the Next [player who has an extremely rare breakout]” thread.

I have Jones where I have Henderson, and in another league where he was surprisingly a free pickup. He’s probably JAG, but given Henderson’s struggles staying healthy he’s worth the add.
I added Jones myself in leagues where he was on the wire. Had the same thought as the bolded. It's actually why I made that comment. Usually the answer to those threads is "nobody".

Not to get the thread off topic too much, but the Robinson trajectory was interesting last year. Some held out, instead of selling for a 2nd, then the price got to first, or even first plus if you were lucky, and now it's probably back down to a 2nd, or less. Those who got out at the height of his value, congrats. If you held, but he helped win you a title, congrats. WW adds like that (for most, or a 4th rd rookie pick) can really help a dynasty team out, with all the injuries, failed draft pick etc.
Yeah, there’s never a late round or undrafted RB that sneaks up a depth chart and becomes a fantasy asset like Robinson. Or P. Lindsay. Or R. Mostert. Or C. Carson. Or L. Blount. Or CJ Anderson. Or A. Foster. Or D. Woodhead. Or Pierre Thomas. Or A. Bradshaw. Or P. Holmes. Or T. Davis. Or…
Look, I know it doesn’t happen EVERY year. But it happens often enough that if you aren’t actively trying to determine who that could be, you are doing your fantasy team a disservice. Startable RBs you can get for basically free is a big help to any championship contender, or an easy sell for profit to any rebuilder.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:42 am

sugbear65 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:40 am

Yeah, there’s never a late round or undrafted RB that sneaks up a depth chart and becomes a fantasy asset like Robinson. Or P. Lindsay. Or R. Mostert. Or C. Carson. Or L. Blount. Or CJ Anderson. Or A. Foster. Or D. Woodhead. Or Pierre Thomas. Or A. Bradshaw. Or P. Holmes. Or T. Davis. Or…
Look, I know it doesn’t happen EVERY year. But it happens often enough that if you aren’t actively trying to determine who that could be, you are doing your fantasy team a disservice. Startable RBs you can get for basically free is a big help to any championship contender, or an easy sell for profit to any rebuilder.
Okay, but a lot of those guys have wildly disparate stories. James Robinson was a rookie, Raheem Mostert bounced around six teams in two years before breaking out on the 49ers in his 4th season. It wouldn’t have made sense to call Robinson the next Mostert or the next Bradshaw because their career paths weren’t similar.

All of these guys are just sleepers. I agree that there are sleepers every year. I think that pigeonholing the search for sleepers into “The Next Player X” isn’t useful and unnecessarily narrows the scope for finding those sleepers.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:58 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:42 am
sugbear65 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:40 am

Okay, but a lot of those guys have wildly disparate stories. James Robinson was a rookie, Raheem Mostert bounced around six teams in two years before breaking out on the 49ers in his 4th season. It wouldn’t have made sense to call Robinson the next Mostert or the next Bradshaw because their career paths weren’t similar.

All of these guys are just sleepers. I agree that there are sleepers every year. I think that pigeonholing the search for sleepers into “The Next Player X” isn’t useful and unnecessarily narrows the scope for finding those sleepers.
Ok, but we are not talking about sleepers in general, there’s other threads for that. We are talking about X. Jones. It should be a narrow scope. J. Robinson was an UFA, prob available for free at some point in the offseason, that was able to rise up a depth chart, past other players that many viewed as the better fantasy assets, to become the starter, leading to a strong fantasy season a huge value bump. I am positioning the argument that I think Jones could have a similar trajectory, and he is worth getting a hold of in case of a similar value explosion. I’m not sure how referencing a recent player example for comparison sake could be detrimental?

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:11 am

sugbear65 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:58 amOk, but we are not talking about sleepers in general, there’s other threads for that. We are talking about X. Jones. It should be a narrow scope. J. Robinson was an UFA, prob available for free at some point in the offseason, that was able to rise up a depth chart, past other players that many viewed as the better fantasy assets, to become the starter, leading to a strong fantasy season a huge value bump. I am positioning the argument that I think Jones could have a similar trajectory, and he is worth getting a hold of in case of a similar value explosion. I’m not sure how referencing a recent player example for comparison sake could be detrimental?
This is a fair question. The answer is straightforward- even if Xavier Jones sees a similar value bump, it’s very unlikely to happen in the same way as Robinson… so why call him “the next James Robinson?”

He’s not a rookie on a team that’s going to cut their presumed starter and give him an insane percentage of the RB work while they tank for the 1st pick. There’s nothing to be gained by calling him “the next James Robinson” instead of just “a sleeper,” which is what he is.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:56 am

I think maybe you are taking things too literally. It’s just a title, there’s some hyperbole involved. But it’s meant to get people talking about X. Jones. Not to have an apples to apples comparison debate between Jones and Robinson. I only used Robinson as a reference because I could see a lot of parallels in their story, if Jones were to become the Rams starter and have a successful season. If you don’t agree, that’s fine, but that’s not really the point of the thread as I intended it.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:58 am

Please change the title of this thread to “Xavier Jones is this year’s first Xavier Jones.” Thanks

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:03 pm

Also...can we just recognize Xavier as the fox in DaHen's house?
Xavier = fox

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:20 pm

Valhalla wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:03 pm Also...can we just recognize Xavier as the fox in DaHen's house?
Xavier = fox
Mic Drop. You can leave now sir. Good day.
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:26 pm

Valhalla wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:03 pm Also...can we just recognize Xavier as the fox in DaHen's house?
Xavier = fox
Bam!

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:36 am

Xavier Jones is cut!!
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:43 am

jman3134 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:36 am Xavier Jones is cut!!
Well, he has to get to Jacksonville to steal Robinson’s job and be this year’s James Robinson.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:07 pm

And now I need to hold onto Jones to see where he lands. Blasphemy!
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:17 pm

Nuts. I missed completely on him. Thought he had enough talent and had shown enough to stick.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:54 pm

Haven't seen this confirmed so could just be trolling the forums