Michael Thomas Thread: Still a WR1?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Michael Thomas: Arguably the #1 Dynasty Asset?

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:28 am

Good Lord.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:26 am

I think even Michael Thomas would rather read about reasons for concern over his future than read this HIPAA argument.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:07 am

Valhalla wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:26 am I think even Michael Thomas would rather read about reasons for concern over his future than read this HIPAA argument.
Agreed. I don’t know what inspires people to continue to reiterate these demonstrably incorrect ideas for pages after they’ve been demonstrated to be incorrect. Just give it up.

As for Thomas- earlier this off-season I thought he was a sneaky buy given what the volume of the offense might look like with Jameis. Nobody would sell him. Now, with Taysom Hill looking like he’s actually competing for the job and the ankle surgery, he’s extraordinarily risky. I think he might just be a sell-low rather than a hold. If you can still get a good second year WR in that Viska-Jeudy-Claypool-Aiyuk-Higgins tier, I’d accept that.

Regarding the Saints situation- does anybody think Taysom Hill actually wins/keeps this job? I have to imagine that would be a huge drag on Kamara, Tre’Quan, and Trautman. Have any of you been buying any parts of this offense?
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:23 am

Not me…but I hate the Saints. Lousy cheaters…

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:58 am

10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:00 am

6F561D11-FBB2-48AB-AFFF-BAC49F1BFF53.jpeg
6F561D11-FBB2-48AB-AFFF-BAC49F1BFF53.jpeg (82.63 KiB) Viewed 569 times
I think Thomas could be a buy low at this point, but I admit he does scare the heck out of me too. I didn’t realize what a complete diva he appears to be untill some point last season. But if I could buy at depressed prices, say a future 1st or something, I’d likely jump at it. Could be working his way out of New Orleans, and with their QB uncertainty, that may not be a bad thing for his fantasy prospects.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:19 am

sugbear65 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:00 am

I think Thomas could be a buy low at this point, but I admit he does scare the heck out of me too. I didn’t realize what a complete diva he appears to be untill some point last season. But if I could buy at depressed prices, say a future 1st or something, I’d likely jump at it. Could be working his way out of New Orleans, and with their QB uncertainty, that may not be a bad thing for his fantasy prospects.
Talent wise I'd say he's worth a future 1st, but value wise I don't know if he'll be at that price again. This injury has lingered on for over a year now and he just doesn't seem to be the same slant target monger he once was. I think I'd rather keep the 1st for a different future diva to put on my team.
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:34 am

sugbear65 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:00 am 6F561D11-FBB2-48AB-AFFF-BAC49F1BFF53.jpeg

Outstanding reference.

I was trying to buy at just short of a future first (in SuperFlex) prior to the injury news from a guy who I suspect from a few conversations had offered him straight up for just about every future first in the league. No luck. I don’t think you’re getting any first for him in SuperFlex. Maybe in 1 QB you can get a late one.

Has anybody seen Thomas moved lately? What was the deal?
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:09 am

If I'm a contender, I'd jump for a future first. Sure, there's a possibility he's on the Odell decline, but for that price? It's worth it to see. Thomas remains one of the games best separators and route runners, and is as sure handed as they come.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:35 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:07 am
Valhalla wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:26 am I think even Michael Thomas would rather read about reasons for concern over his future than read this HIPAA argument.
Agreed. I don’t know what inspires people to continue to reiterate these demonstrably incorrect ideas for pages after they’ve been demonstrated to be incorrect. Just give it up.

As for Thomas- earlier this off-season I thought he was a sneaky buy given what the volume of the offense might look like with Jameis. Nobody would sell him. Now, with Taysom Hill looking like he’s actually competing for the job and the ankle surgery, he’s extraordinarily risky. I think he might just be a sell-low rather than a hold. If you can still get a good second year WR in that Viska-Jeudy-Claypool-Aiyuk-Higgins tier, I’d accept that.

Regarding the Saints situation- does anybody think Taysom Hill actually wins/keeps this job? I have to imagine that would be a huge drag on Kamara, Tre’Quan, and Trautman. Have any of you been buying any parts of this offense?
I believe Hill is the starter week 1. Whether he holds on to it, that's a different story. Depends if an entire off season of preparation helped him at all. I am not buying any of this offense. Both Hill and Winston are going to have a tough time moving the ball through the air without MT. Hill can make plays with his legs, and has weekly QB1 upside, but I'm not actively trying to get him.

I think the Saints most likely address the QB position next season. Jameis clearly isn't viewed as a starting caliber QB by anyone in the NFL, they have told us that for 2 off seasons. He may temporarily get some starts this year, but will struggle with no MT. He''s just not very good, that's the reality. Hill, even if he improves as a passer, will be 32 next year, and can you really be confident in a 32 year old running QB?
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:15 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:35 am ... and can you really be confident in a 32 year old running QB?

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:29 am

Valhalla wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:15 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:35 am ... and can you really be confident in a 32 year old running QB?

:lol:
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:44 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:35 am
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:07 am

I believe Hill is the starter week 1. Whether he holds on to it, that's a different story. Depends if an entire off season of preparation helped him at all. I am not buying any of this offense. Both Hill and Winston are going to have a tough time moving the ball through the air without MT. Hill can make plays with his legs, and has weekly QB1 upside, but I'm not actively trying to get him.

I think the Saints most likely address the QB position next season. Jameis clearly isn't viewed as a starting caliber QB by anyone in the NFL, they have told us that for 2 off seasons. He may temporarily get some starts this year, but will struggle with no MT. He''s just not very good, that's the reality. Hill, even if he improves as a passer, will be 32 next year, and can you really be confident in a 32 year old running QB?
We could not disagree more about Winston. Reports so far are that he has abandoned his previous devil-may-care let-er-rip throwing mentality and has been thorough and careful running through progressions and taking what the D gives. He’s always been a voracious worker and film study rat, but now he’s been taking advantage of actually being coached instead of flying by the seat of his pants on the field, which he’d been allowed to do prior to going to NO.

People point at that Hill started over him last year when Brees was hurt, but Winston made an interesting statement last week that he’s had more practice reps in OTAs and TC so far than he had all last year in NO. I don’t know what Brees’ practice snap count was like, but if it was like P Manning’s there were always comments that Manning was such a perfectionist that no one else got any work under center even in OTAs and TC.

I do feel that Winston is a much better QB physically than Hill could ever hope to be, and if Winston does learn to control his impulsive urges and instead complete offensive sequences that he could not only win the job by a landslide but also could go on to be a top NFL and FF QB. There’s no question the talent is there - he’s fully proven that already.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:33 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:44 am There’s no question the talent is there - he’s fully proven that already.
While I agree with much of your post, this statement sticks out. If he had fuly proven it, he would not have had to sign a 1 year prove it deal. Jameis has yet to sign the paperwork to call himself a starting NFL QB.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:01 pm

murphysxm wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:33 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:44 am There’s no question the talent is there - he’s fully proven that already.
While I agree with much of your post, this statement sticks out. If he had fuly proven it, he would not have had to sign a 1 year prove it deal. Jameis has yet to sign the paperwork to call himself a starting NFL QB.
Winston threw for 5,109 passing yards in a single season. Only 4 players in the history of the NFL have thrown for more. To say he has the talent to be a quality starter is pretty much a given. A QB doesn’t accidentally accomplish that in spite of the lack of talent that he has.

The kid is smart and is as hard and dedicated a worker as there is in the league. His problem has been his decision making in game situations and his lack of maturity - which is downright alarming at times. Good coaching could alleviate the former, and just growing the **** up could alleviate the latter (which sitting on a bench for a year combined with a strong role model and some good coaching just might turn the tide). Maybe not, but I can’t understand how the level of talent is disputable.