The Cam Akers Wager Thread -- CLOSED (abloom wins)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

The Cam Akers Wager Thread -- CLOSED (abloom wins)

Postby MEuRaH » Fri May 07, 2021 5:09 am

OK, I've had enough. It's time to make a wager. There are far too many people firmly on the Cam Akers bandwagon, and I just can't stand it anymore. His ranking is too high imo, his support is too high imo, and I think it's time to make a fun wager with the DLF forum community. If you are either firmly in the Akers camp or not, you can still have a say in this wager and win a prize*!
*no cash value

You can just read or comment without making a wager if you like, or you could also put your neck out there and take a side! All successful wagers will win a spot in my sig for a calendar year. HOWEVER a wager is a two-way street, so I expect the same from you about me IF we disagree on opinion. Ready to play? Here we go!

This post will be broken down into three components:

(1) The Cam Akers Situation (historical comments & rankings)
(2) My Take & Why He Won't Be Successful In 2021 & Beyond
(3) The Wager

========================================================================

The Cam Akers Situation (historical comments & rankings)

Cam Akers was the fourth RB taken in the 2020 NFL draft. From the get-go I was not a fan. I wrote an article on rookie RBs including Akers where I found him to be all talent, no skill. I ranked Akers as a project second round pick and detailed reasons here. The Rams took him in the second round as the fourth RB overall, and the dynasty community went nuts.

Right now, the fantasy community is going even wilder over Akers than before. He even reached as high as RB6 in ADP startups or mock drafts. He was even picked as high as FOURTH in some of these startups! I stuck to my original rankings but I'm constantly getting that pushed back in my face (which I enjoy btw, it's fun banter and I'd rather have it in my life than not. This whole wager could blow up in my face and that'd be hilarious). When I diss Akers, the response I get is along the lines of "If Akers is so bad, how come he's top 10 in every ranking I see?"

Because monkeys must be doing the drafting. I have no other reasoning why. There must be a room full of monkeys somewhere in the world drafting Akers in the first round of every startup. I don't know for sure, but there's no other plausible explanation in my mind, unless Akers is out there in 1,000 leagues drafting himself..... wait MAYBE.... hmmm.....

My Take & Why He Won't Be Successful In 2021 & Beyond

Notice that "success" is italicized, which I did on purpose because success is subjective. For the record, I hope he is successful and he has a great career. I want him to have all the happiness and riches he can earn, because he's just a kid trying to make a buck. He's working hard every day to give us lazy fans enjoyment and entertainment, being paid by billionaires to do so. I can fully respect that. I want him to succeed.

But he won't succeed by my definition. He's not a top 6 RB. In fact, he's not a top 10 RB either. There's just no way.

Akers was deemed inactive for several weeks in his rookie season in favor of fantasy studs such as Darrell Henderson and Malcolm Brown, both of which started more games (11) than Akers did (5). Akers had one great game week 13 in a blowout win vs the Patriots where he went 29-171, but the rest were subpar.

The Cam Akers 2020 fantasy season was worse than the following stud RBs in 0.5 ppr leagues:
-- Frank Gore
-- Wayne Gallman
-- Zack Moss
-- Jerrick McKinnon
-- Adrian Peterson
-- Jeff Wilson
-- His teammate, Darrell Henderson.

And lastly, my evaluation of him deemed him be a power back with speed and a very good cerebral mind, but with nothing more to offer. There's no room for growth given his skillset, so he's already reached his ceiling, therefor this is the best he can do from here on out.

THE WAGER

Ladies and gentlemen, here we go. Who wants to attach themselves to a piece of DLF history!? Who wants to put their necks out there and to have a little fun doing it!? Woohoo! :D

The Question Is Simple: Will Cam Akers be a top 10 RB in 2021, Season Total in 0.5 PPR? :think:

HOW TO PLAY

Your Answer: Yes or no.
EXTRA BONUS QUESTION FOR GLORY: Give me what you think will be his final RB rank for the 2021 season.

The Wager:
-- Those who are right earn a spot in my sig for a calendar year with the title "RB GURU". :dance:
-- If you say "YES" & are wrong -- since I clearly disagree with you -- you must put my name in YOUR sig with the title "RB GURU" :lol:
-- If you are right & you can guess his RB rank for the 2021 season, I will give you the title of "ULTIMATE RB GURU" in my sig for a calendar year. :clap:

===============================

**Disclaimer**

We will be using 0.5 ppr for this wager. The official league to check all stats will be my league called "Bracket League".

This is only for fun. There is no monetary prize associated with this wager.

Injuries are part of the games. Injuries could help Akers (DH gets hurt or other top players get hurt which gives Akers an easily hill to climb) and injuries could obviously hurt Akers. If you think he's injury-prone, you should factor this into the wager.

You do not need to actually change your sig and I would never force such a thing, but failure to change your sig upon losing also disqualifies you from future wagers, of which I plan on doing.

Changing your mind and editing your post is OK up until the deadline.

============================================================================

I believe guesses below are correct. If I made a mistake with your choice, let me know.

YES
Dynasty DeLorean RB3
PR0v3 RB4
jman3134 RB5
mmmcoreyos RB7
Nanananananana RB7
jdacunha RB7
Kurt G.O.A.T. RB7
AussieMate RB8
Pullo Vision RB8
Paul717 RB9
McCafsteez RB9
Sriracha RB9
Pet_Smith RB9
dustyroads RB10
Dynasty DeLorean Yes

NO
honcho55 RB11
Blueboy RB12
CGW RB12
smbkrypt24 RB13
Ice RB14
YouMightDieTryin RB15
Lumps RB15
Pac_Eddy RB16
dlf_mikeh RB17
murphysxm RB18
boochluke RB18
jcc6fd RB20
Spitfire McGee RB23
Vcize RB24
mgscott RB25
Jigga94 No
Krypto_King No
My BallZach Ertz No
abloom No -- Bonus Guess of ACL injury in preseason

Good Luck Everybody!
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Re: The Cam Akers Wager Thread

Postby MEuRaH » Fri May 07, 2021 5:09 am

No
RB17
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

boochluke
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: The Cam Akers Wager Thread

Postby boochluke » Fri May 07, 2021 5:46 am

NO
RB18
Team 1
10 team 1QB, PPR, shallow roster
1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX
QB: Josh Allen, Trey Lance
RB: Swift, Dobbins, Gibson, Javonte, Damien Harris
WR: DJM, Lamb, Higgins, Chase, Waddle, Eli Moore
TE: Pitts

Team 2
10 team 1QB, .5TEP, IDP, PPR deep roster
1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1LB, 1DB, 1idpFLEX
QB: Dak, Darnold
RB: JT, Mixon, Gibson, Javonte, Pollard, Mattison, Eli Mitchell, Penny
WR: AJB, Aiyuk, Woods, Sutton, D Smith, Eli Moore, Terrace M, Mooney, Mims, Toney, Gabe Davis, Nico Collins, Amon-Ra
TE: Goedert, Kmet, Trautman
LB: Tremaine Edmunds, Deion Jones, Jamin Davis
DB: Derwin James, Jabrill Peppers[/size]

Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: The Cam Akers Wager Thread -- Deadline May 24th

Postby Ice » Fri May 07, 2021 5:50 am

No
RB14
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Fri May 07, 2021 5:59 am

No
RB 12

Valuing him at RB6 is pretty wild, and people drafting him 4th overall are crazy. That said..

Rb10 isn't a very high bar. Last season RB10 had 216 ppr points and wasn't a starting RB, Kareem Hunt. Over week 13 into the playoffs Akers averaged 14.1fppg which would squarely put him in the mix for top 10 along with a handful of others. The top 8-15 really come down to who gets injured more than anything else.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Fri May 07, 2021 6:20 am

PPG or Season Total?

Either way I hope that you’re correct. I do believe that Henderson showed he can earn some touches last season and will eat into his workload.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Fri May 07, 2021 6:21 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:20 amPPG or Season Total?
Oh, thank you.

Season Total.
CGW wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:59 amRb10 isn't a very high bar. Last season RB10 had 216 ppr points and wasn't a starting RB, Kareem Hunt. Over week 13 into the playoffs Akers averaged 14.1fppg which would squarely put him in the mix for top 10 along with a handful of others. The top 8-15 really come down to who gets injured more than anything else.
Excellent feedback and great counter-argument.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs

REAL RB GURUs:

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri May 07, 2021 6:27 am

Great idea. This format will probably be used for further bets.

I'll go with "No."

Cam will finish as RB16.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Fri May 07, 2021 6:48 am

No. Way. Jose.
RB15 easy.
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Postby Nanananananana » Fri May 07, 2021 6:51 am

Yes

RB 7

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Fri May 07, 2021 6:52 am

Ah heck.

Yes. RB9.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Xavier Hutchinson
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: All my picks except 3rd rounder

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri May 07, 2021 6:55 am

I'll say no as well... But it's interesting that this is all based on comparing where he's going in dynasty vs the redraft mentality of where he will finish in 2021. I mean who would you take in redraft? Henry or Akers? Henry, duh. In dynasty though? It's probably Akers for most due to age.

That said, there's probably plenty more names like Zeke, Chubb, Jones, etc that fit into the Henry category above.

That said, if Akers DOES have an RB1 season, then his ADP will likely only stay the same. I mean maybe he would jump Kamara and Cook due to age at that point next year, but there's always the possibility of RB passing him

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Fri May 07, 2021 6:59 am

Jigga94 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:55 amBut it's interesting that this is all based on comparing where he's going in dynasty vs the redraft mentality of where he will finish in 2021. I mean who would you take in redraft? Henry or Akers? Henry, duh. In dynasty though? It's probably Akers for most due to age.

That said, there's probably plenty more names like Zeke, Chubb, Jones, etc that fit into the Henry category above.

That said, if Akers DOES have an RB1 season, then his ADP will likely only stay the same. I mean maybe he would jump Kamara and Cook due to age at that point next year, but there's always the possibility of RB passing him
Well said, and I did think about this, but isn't Akers ready as of this season to start doing what everyone expects him to do? He has a year under his belt, proof that he can perform with a few good games on his resume, and he has only DH as competition for carries.

If not now, when? That's part of the reason why I thought this wager would be a good idea.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs

REAL RB GURUs:

mmmcoreyos
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mmmcoreyos » Fri May 07, 2021 7:25 am

Yes
RB7
When I win, make my name mmmcoreyos "Better Than a DLF Writer" in the sig please.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Fri May 07, 2021 7:37 am

mmmcoreyos wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:25 am Yes
RB7
When I win, make my name mmmcoreyos "Better Than a DLF Writer" in the sig please.
HAHAHA!

ok "stranger"! :P
ULTIMATE RB GURUs

REAL RB GURUs: