Huge Blockbuster Thoughts?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
colt77
Role Player
Role Player

Huge Blockbuster Thoughts?

Postby colt77 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:25 pm

Hey guys, I just did a huge block buster trade where I believe I lose on paper, but want to see if you guys think it was good after hearing why I did it. So basically the trade was me giving Allen Robinson, and Marquise Brown and getting back Jalen Hurts, a 22 1st, 21 2.04, and 21 2.10. On paper I believe most would say I lost because Robinson is probably close to worth that himself and then Brown, but my thought process was that it sealed up others areas and I had the depth to swing it.

My team is in the footer with the league settings, but basically my league has a lower starting requirement and I already own Tyreek, MT, Higgins, Sutton, Kupp on top of owning the 1.04 which I will take Chase and owning the 1.07 and 1.08. I didn't have a 2nd Qb to pair with Lamar so I was gonna be forced to draft one in the first and it likely would have been lawrence at 1.08, but by getting Hurts I can now draft another WR there to replace the two I lost on top of getting Chase.

So essentially I freed up a first by doing this which could be a Waddle, Bateman, Moore, Smith, or even Pitts. Plus I get the 1st next year so i'll have two on top of pick 2.04 and 2.10 this year. So after explaining, does the trade make sense or was I too hasty? I tried shopping my WRs before but no one offered anything good and I felt it'd be a huge waste to add even more WR depth for low starting requirements already. Any feedback is appreciated whether its telling me I took an L or agreeing with me or being in between.
12 Man SF 2point TE Premium PPR 6pt passing Tds - Lineup req. - Qb, 2 Rbs, 3 Wrs, 1 TE, 2 Flex, SF, K, D
Qbs: Justin Herbert, Dak Prescott, Trevor Lawrence
Rbs: Barkley, Breece Hall, Javonte Williams, Swift, Jamaal Williams
Wrs: Deebo Samuel, Olave, Diontae Johnson, Odell, Bateman, Nico Collins
TEs: Kyle Pitts, Higbee, Kittle, Okonkwo
K: Gay
D: -Steelers

12 Man 1 QB PPR - Lineup req. - Qb, 2 Rbs, 2 Wrs, 1 TE, 2 Flex, K, D 2021 -Picks- 1.04, 1.11, 1.12, 3.01, 3.04
Qbs: Lamar Jackson, Hurts, Tua
Rbs: Barkley, Swift, Akers, Gus Edwards, Henderson, Lindsey, Rhamondre Stevenson
Wrs: Michael Thomas, Tyreek Hill, AJ Brown, Bateman, Odell Beckham, Tee Higgins, Cooper Kupp, Nico Collins
TEs: Kittle, Pitts, Jacob Harris
K: Butker

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Huge Blockbuster Thoughts?

Postby Gator Sens » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:37 pm

With owning Goff as well, I'm not sure you needed another QB given the format and I dont think you had to draft Lawrence either. Hopefully Hurts secures the job long term and the 1st ends up early. You have a nice build, so this isn't catastrophic, but I think you lost some value here unless the 1st ends up early. This deal needs some time to play out, but moving a WR1 could have yielded more in return.

krtbuckeye
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby krtbuckeye » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:41 pm

I would have wanted more for Robinson in 1QB.
The Highwaymen
🏆 2020, 2021, 2022
🥈 2018, 2019

10 Team SF, PPR, Roster: 33+2 IR+2 Taxi
Start: QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, SF, FLX (RB/WR), K, 2 DL, LB, 2 DB, 2 IDP FLX

**IDP scoring is TKL heavy (1.0 solo and asst), no QBH or TFL.**

QB: Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts
RB: Jahmyr Gibbs, D’Andre Swift, Jerome Ford, Khalil Herbert, Jaleel McLaughlin, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Isaiah Spiller, Chase Brown, Evan Hull (IR), Sean Tucker
WR: Amon-Ra St. Brown, DeVonta Smith, Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Josh Palmer, Demario Douglas, Alec Pierce, Michael Wilson, Jalin Hyatt, Kayshon Boutte (Taxi)
TE: Sam LaPorta, Trey McBride
K: Jake Elliott
DL: Danielle Hunter, Aiden Hutchinson, Jaelan Phillips (IR)
LB: Bobby Wagner, Jordyn Brooks, Logan Wilson, Ernest Jones
DB: Derwin James, Brian Branch

colt77
Role Player
Role Player

Postby colt77 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:50 pm

Gator Sens wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:37 pm With owning Goff as well, I'm not sure you needed another QB given the format and I dont think you had to draft Lawrence either. Hopefully Hurts secures the job long term and the 1st ends up early. You have a nice build, so this isn't catastrophic, but I think you lost some value here unless the 1st ends up early. This deal needs some time to play out, but moving a WR1 could have yielded more in return.
I actually traded goff a bit ago, just forgot to remove him from my signature. I actually had to draft a QB because I didn't have a 2nd one and no 2nd round picks to try to get a guy like lance. I tried shopping QBs but the league knew my plans and didn't want to trade anyone decent without me giving a lot so I would have been reserved to take Lawrence. Sorry about the confusion with goff being in the footer still.
12 Man SF 2point TE Premium PPR 6pt passing Tds - Lineup req. - Qb, 2 Rbs, 3 Wrs, 1 TE, 2 Flex, SF, K, D

12 Man 1 QB PPR - Lineup req. - Qb, 2 Rbs, 2 Wrs, 1 TE, 2 Flex, K, D 2021 -Picks- 1.04, 1.11, 1.12, 3.01, 3.04
Rbs: Barkley, Swift, Akers, Gus Edwards, Henderson, Lindsey, Rhamondre Stevenson
Wrs: Michael Thomas, Tyreek Hill, AJ Brown, Bateman, Odell Beckham, Tee Higgins, Cooper Kupp, Nico Collins

colt77
Role Player
Role Player

Postby colt77 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:53 pm

krtbuckeye wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:41 pm I would have wanted more for Robinson in 1QB.
I get that, I basically viewed the trade as losing some value on Robinson to free up 1.08 to be able to draft a Waddle, Smith, Bateman guy.

snaps06
Captain
Captain

Postby snaps06 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:15 pm

I'd have rather kept Robinson and drafted Lawrence with 1.08. There's no guarantee any of those WRs you're listing hit, and Lawrence is about as close to a sure-fire long-term QB as you can get. I'd actually argue Lawrence is vastly more safe than Hurts already and Lawrence isn't even on a team yet. You're essentially keeping 1.08 in the hopes that whoever you pick becomes Robinson, and also hoping Hurts pans out (and he is highly unproven).
Team 1: 12-Team 0.5 PPR '16 & '17 3rd, '20 2nd Place
REBUILD STARTED 2019
QB RB RB WR WR TE Flex Flex Flex
Kyler,Stafford,Herbert
Zeke,Sanders,Swift,Moss,Robinson,Mattison,Gio
Cooper,Juju,AJB,Reagor,Ruggs,Mims,Kirk,Bateman,Moore
Kelce,Henry
2022: 2,3,4

Team 2: 12-Team 0.5 PPR '17 & '20 2nd Place
QB RB RB WR WR TE Flex Flex
Rodgers,Stafford
Zeke,Conner,Robinson,Dillon,CEvans,Mattison,Edmonds,Davis
Hopkins,Thomas,Woods,Cooks,Toney,MWilliams,
Kittle,Henry,Freier
2022:1,1,2,3,4

Team 3: 14-Team SF,PPR,0.25/rush '18 3rd Place, 2020 Champ :dance:
QB RB RB WR WR TE Flex Flex Flex SFlex
Cousins,Kyler,Carr,Trask
Jacobs,Gibson,Robinson,LMurray,Ingram,Moss,Gio,SScott
Evans,Nuk,DJM,Boyd,Davis
Fant,Hooper,Gronk
2022:2,4
2023:1,1,2,3,4

Team 4: 12-TeamSF,0.5PPR,TE1PPR 2020 Champ :dance:
QB RB RB WR WR WR TE FLEX FLEX SFlex
Allen,Tanny,Cam,MacJones
Taylor,Akers,Montgomery,Gibson,Robinson,Harris,McKissic,SScott
DKM,Evans,Juju,Cooks,MWilliams,Trequan
Engram,Hurst,Gronk,Long

colt77
Role Player
Role Player

Postby colt77 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:31 pm

snaps06 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:15 pm I'd have rather kept Robinson and drafted Lawrence with 1.08. There's no guarantee any of those WRs you're listing hit, and Lawrence is about as close to a sure-fire long-term QB as you can get. I'd actually argue Lawrence is vastly more safe than Hurts already and Lawrence isn't even on a team yet. You're essentially keeping 1.08 in the hopes that whoever you pick becomes Robinson, and also hoping Hurts pans out (and he is highly unproven).
I understand that side too, but even if this flips completely upside down my depth still saves me. I'm looking at drafting Chase, Bateman, and one of Smith, Waddle, or Pitts. I'm very confident in Chase and would be entirely shocked if he busts, but I suppose it can happen. Then 2.04 is another pick in the top 15, leaving the 22 1st and 2.10 left too. I can definitely see the risk, but I think it was worth taking whenever you factor the situation in. I'll admit it'll be a shotgun approach, but if Chase and another of the 3 guys hits, then I replenish those stocks and still have a serviceable back up in Hurts, who i personally think will be good especially in my 1qb 4pt passing td league since he's a rushing QB like lamar. I'm willing to lose on paper though to win eventually considering the situation. I do admit though, there's definitely more points of view on how I could have went about this, but I feel good about it right now.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:21 pm

Why are you so confident that Chase will be there at 1.04? I can definitely see Harris and Etienne going ahead of him, but are you really that confident that Williams’ landing spot will be favorable enough to push him above Chase?
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

colt77
Role Player
Role Player

Postby colt77 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:44 am

M-Dub wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:21 pm Why are you so confident that Chase will be there at 1.04? I can definitely see Harris and Etienne going ahead of him, but are you really that confident that Williams’ landing spot will be favorable enough to push him above Chase?
My league is all people I know in real life and the owner of the 1.03's brother who's also in the league is saying that he will take the 3rd RB. I'm fine getting the 3rd RB myself though if he relents and then taking WRs at 1.07 and 8. Also to show an example of how much my league values rbs, the first 6 picks last year were all RBs, so yea, someone in my league actually drafted Vaughn over Ceedee Lamb. That's why im pretty confident that Chase gets to me, because even if Williams isn't the RB that lands in a primo spot, someone like Gainwell will and will likely shoot up into that range and then since my league values RBs more he'll be taken at 3.

richardweston1233
Role Player
Role Player

Postby richardweston1233 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:53 am

I think you could have got more for arob but seeing your situation im ok with you doing that deal. I feel the same way about trades, there's straight up value players for players then there's value depending on team situations and I've done trades I've known I would lose on paper but I concentrate on my team needs not theirs unless I see them as competition for 1st place. But I think you did alright here.
10 Team PPR 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2Flex, 3Taxi
QB: Cousins, Tua, Pickett
RB: J. Taylor, R. Stevenson, D. Pierce, J. Williams, D. Harris, K. Gainwell, Zach Evans, Deuce Vaughn
WR: J. Waddle, J. Chase,
C. Lamb,
J. Palmer, J. Addison, P. Nacua, I. Hodgins, K. Boutte
TE: K. Pitts, C. Otton, D. Belinger
Taxi: J. Warren, K. Shakir, J. Mingo
Draft Picks

2024: 1st, 1st, 3rd
2025: 1st, 2nd
2026: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Team 2, 12 team, IDP, draft order is linear, PPR
QB: Herbert M. Jones
RB: Bijan, Etienne, C. Patterson, Z. Moss, D. Singletary, A. Mattison
WR: C. Kirk, J. Meyers, Q. Johnston, G. Davis, J. Hyatt, T. Thornton, J. Mingo, G. Dortch
TE: Schultz,Mayer
DL: Q. Williams B. Burns
LB: N. Bolton, TJ Edwards
DB: H. Smith, Gardner-Johnson
Taxi: J. Warren, Z. Evans, J. Reed

Draft Picks

24: 4 first, 1 second
25: 1 first, 1 second, 1 third
26: 2 first, 1 second, 1 third

zaner75
Captain
Captain

Postby zaner75 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:44 am

The goal for trades should be improving our team. You had a well-thought plan based upon knowing your league and executed. I see it as selling Robinson at his peak value for future assets/flexibility. Do you take a hit in the short-term? Sure, but you traded from a position of strength and one that is more easily replenished. I like that you are gaining the 2nd round picks that you could use on a QB in case Hurts doesn't pan out as a long term starter.

colt77
Role Player
Role Player

Postby colt77 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:50 am

zaner75 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:44 am The goal for trades should be improving our team. You had a well-thought plan based upon knowing your league and executed. I see it as selling Robinson at his peak value for future assets/flexibility. Do you take a hit in the short-term? Sure, but you traded from a position of strength and one that is more easily replenished. I like that you are gaining the 2nd round picks that you could use on a QB in case Hurts doesn't pan out as a long term starter.
It's nice to see someone who views the trade the same as I do. Pretty much exactly how I feel about it. I'm hoping one of either Fields or even Mac Jones falls to 2.10 and i'll likely take them there. My firsts and pick 15 are likely gonna all be spent on WR, so i'm confident at least one or two of those dudes hit.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:00 am

I get it. I had a lot of WR depth and traded MT a few months ago, in a deal that I might have lost on paper. But it made my team better, so I'm okay with losing value on paper. Now, I do question whether Hurts was the QB you should have targeted, but if you believe in Hurts then it was a good deal for you.

PS, I would strongly consider taking a QB in the 2nd round, just to get cheap young insurance.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

MyTeam
MVP
MVP

Postby MyTeam » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:22 am

I definitely would have held and drafted Lawrence. I like Lawrence a lot more than I like Hurts even as a back up plus you lose value sending Robinson for that package unless that first is projected top 4.
Team 1: 12 team, PPR
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex

Mahomes, Lawrence
Najee, Swift, Javonte, Jamaal W, Murray
DK, DJM, Juju, Jameson, Gallup, Van
Pitts, Friermuth
1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 1.12, 3.10, 2 firsts next year

Team 2: 12 Team, SF TEP (1.5 PPR)
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex, 1 SF

Mahomes, Burrow, Cousins, Rudolph
CEH, Swift, Gibson, Jacobs, Mattison, Scott, McFarland
DK, AJB, Ridley, McLaurin, Kupp, Landry, Mims, Hamler, Miller, Johnson, Robinson
Andrews, H. Henry, Sternberger, Alie-Cox, Herndon

Same as Team 2
Watson, Burrow, Lance, Z. Wilson
Pollard, Mattison
Chase, D. Smith, Boyd, Hardman, E. Moore, Cephus, A. Rodgers, Harry, Boykin, A. Tate, Miller
Hockenson, Thomas, Albert O, Njoku
3 additional firsts

Same as Team 2
TLaw, Burrow, Watson, Darnold
CEH, Gus, Cohen
Juju, Chark, Shenault, Boyd, Landry, Renfrow, Robinson,
Engram, Kmet, Firkser, Schultz, Arnold, Herndon
5 additional firsts

cvbuc
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cvbuc » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:19 am

The odds of any of those receivers panning out to Arob's level is ridiculously low. For every Justin Jefferson, there are 3 to 4 other guys who hover in mediocrity or bust. I'm not sure why you needed to draft a QB in the 1st given your format. I think you always have to maximize your assets when you sell.
TEAM ONE
12 Team PPR League / 5pt passing TDs
2020 & 2021 CHAMPS (2022 Runner Up)
Start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1Flex 1TE 1K 23 Man Active Roster / 3 TAXI SQUAD SPOT
QB - L. Jackson, Cousins
RB - Swift, Ekeler, K. Mitchell, A. Mattison, D. Foreman, C. Rodriguez, E. Mitchell, S, Tucker, J. Wilson
WR - Amon Ra, D. Smith, M. Pittman, DK Metcalf, Jayden Reed, D. Douglas, K. Shakir, D. Wicks, T. Tucker, T. Scott
TE - Kelce, C. Otton, I. Likely, D. Washington
K - B. Aubrey
DEF - Eagles, Dolphins