Start Up Advice for Unique League

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Z$$$
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Start Up Advice for Unique League

Postby Z$$$ » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:30 pm

Team not in sig.

14 Team SF/TEP
Start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1SF, 2Flex

What’s unique about this league is that half of the teams are AFC and half NFC. Where it gets crazy is that when we do our start up draft, we can only draft from that conference. Rookie picks are also included in this draft, which will be conducted after the NFL draft where the same rules will apply.

I chose the AFC being a Chiefs fan. So, I can only draft AFC players. So example, being SF if I picked 4th overall and the typical guys went: 1.01 Mahomes, 1.02 Allen, 1.03 Jackson, I could not pick up a QB like Dak or Wilson because they are in the NFC.

So, given this unique league settings and it being SF/TEP, what strategy would you take? QB/QB/TE/TE?

Essentially it’s a 7 Team league. The conference winners will play each other in a Super Bowl. Player trades can only be done inter-conference as well. However rookie picks can be traded cross-conference.

Thanks for any advice!
12 Team 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 5IDP
QB: Rodgers, Love
RB: Achane, Gibson, Dillon, Brooks, Sanders
WR: Jefferson, Lamb, G Wilson, Rice, JSN, Worthy, Burks
TE: Goedert, Bowers, Likely, Musgraves

16 Team 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Stafford, Fields
RB: Gibbs, Singletary, Dallas, Juszczyk
WR: Lamb, Burks, G Wilson, JSN, Q Johnson, Hardman, Goodwin
TE: Dulcich, Albert O, Gray, Granson

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Start Up Advice for Unique League

Postby abloom » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:47 pm

So what happens when a free agent goes to another conference or there is a trade?

Nothing really different except you have to make sure you're looking at the right pool when you are drafting.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

snaps06
Captain
Captain

Postby snaps06 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:54 pm

abloom wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:47 pm So what happens when a free agent goes to another conference or there is a trade?

Nothing really different except you have to make sure you're looking at the right pool when you are drafting.
I would be interested to see the answer to this question. Seems like there are some major flaws in the concept.

It'd suck to draft, say, Mahomes first overall and then he gets traded or signs with a team in the NFC and you have to drop him with no compensation.
Team 1: 12-Team 0.5 PPR '16 & '17 3rd, '20 2nd Place
REBUILD STARTED 2019
QB RB RB WR WR TE Flex Flex Flex
Kyler,Stafford,Herbert
Zeke,Sanders,Swift,Moss,Robinson,Mattison,Gio
Cooper,Juju,AJB,Reagor,Ruggs,Mims,Kirk,Bateman,Moore
Kelce,Henry
2022: 2,3,4

Team 2: 12-Team 0.5 PPR '17 & '20 2nd Place
QB RB RB WR WR TE Flex Flex
Rodgers,Stafford
Zeke,Conner,Robinson,Dillon,CEvans,Mattison,Edmonds,Davis
Hopkins,Thomas,Woods,Cooks,Toney,MWilliams,
Kittle,Henry,Freier
2022:1,1,2,3,4

Team 3: 14-Team SF,PPR,0.25/rush '18 3rd Place, 2020 Champ :dance:
QB RB RB WR WR TE Flex Flex Flex SFlex
Cousins,Kyler,Carr,Trask
Jacobs,Gibson,Robinson,LMurray,Ingram,Moss,Gio,SScott
Evans,Nuk,DJM,Boyd,Davis
Fant,Hooper,Gronk
2022:2,4
2023:1,1,2,3,4

Team 4: 12-TeamSF,0.5PPR,TE1PPR 2020 Champ :dance:
QB RB RB WR WR WR TE FLEX FLEX SFlex
Allen,Tanny,Cam,MacJones
Taylor,Akers,Montgomery,Gibson,Robinson,Harris,McKissic,SScott
DKM,Evans,Juju,Cooks,MWilliams,Trequan
Engram,Hurst,Gronk,Long

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:02 pm

I would stick to a standard strategy of SF even with the unique conference format. QB will be big early in the draft and a big emphasis. Locking up a solid TE could be big too with the premium depending on options once your pick is otc. Great question above involving players possibly switching conferences through trade or free agency.

Do you play teams from the other conference or stay within your own until the championship game?

Z$$$
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Z$$$ » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:04 pm

abloom wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:47 pm So what happens when a free agent goes to another conference or there is a trade?

If a player is traded in real life from one conference to the next or if a player is picked up by waivers from the other conference, then that player can only be traded across the conference in the league.

Ex: Kamara gets traded to KC, once he’s officially on KC’s team, the dynasty owner (NFC Conference) can only trade Kamara to an AFC owner. Most likely it will be for picks unless the same happens to another player, but in reverse conferences. The NFC owner can keep Kamara and play him like any other player on his team, Kamara is just “grandfathered in” to his current owner.
12 Team 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 5IDP
QB: Rodgers, Love
RB: Achane, Gibson, Dillon, Brooks, Sanders
WR: Jefferson, Lamb, G Wilson, Rice, JSN, Worthy, Burks
TE: Goedert, Bowers, Likely, Musgraves

16 Team 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Stafford, Fields
RB: Gibbs, Singletary, Dallas, Juszczyk
WR: Lamb, Burks, G Wilson, JSN, Q Johnson, Hardman, Goodwin
TE: Dulcich, Albert O, Gray, Granson

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:11 pm

Z$$$ wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:04 pm

If a player is traded in real life from one conference to the next or if a player is picked up by waivers from the other conference, then that player can only be traded across the conference in the league.

Ex: Kamara gets traded to KC, once he’s officially on KC’s team, the dynasty owner (NFC Conference) can only trade Kamara to an AFC owner. Most likely it will be for picks unless the same happens to another player, but in reverse conferences. The NFC owner can keep Kamara and play him like any other player on his team, Kamara is just “grandfathered in” to his current owner.
Well.thats certainly a good idea.

More thoughts on your draft, you'll have to rerank a bit based on positional scarcity. Example: nfc conference likely gets a boost to drafting kittle and he should go earlier. Consider that the top 5 TEs are likely kelce, kittle, waller, andrews, hock, followed by Pitts (unsure of conference right now) then probably fant, and you have only 2 in the NFC right now. So the NFC team with kittle suddenly has a huge advantage over the other nfc teams while the same doesn't really happen in the AFC.

QBs are a bit more evenly distributed, so not really a problem, ditto for RBs I think, though there may be more.top NFC rbs than AFC ones (increasing value slightly on AFC side).

Edit: wow this was late last night for me. Yeah AFC would probably get a boost in value to RBs. Top rbs being: JT (AFC), CMC, Barkley, kamara, cook (all nfc). I don't think I'm missing anyone glaring but certainly looks like of what is likely considered to top of the groups there are more NFC RBs than AFC. Henry, Jones, sanders(?), And jacobs(?) Would probably be the next group so pretty even there. Then swift, CEH, Dobbins, again looking pretty even. So top top looks NFC dominated then more even.
Last edited by abloom on Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

krtbuckeye
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby krtbuckeye » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:10 pm

First of all, this sounds pretty fun! I wouldn’t necessarily want it as my primary league, but I dig the concept and gamesmanship that would have to go into this.

abloom really nailed down my thoughts on the positional bumps that should get played into this. That’s probably the only glaring difference I see from a startup standpoint.

Have fun with this!
The Highwaymen
🏆 2020, 2021, 2022
🥈 2018, 2019

10 Team SF, PPR, Roster: 33+2 IR+2 Taxi
Start: QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, SF, FLX (RB/WR), K, 2 DL, LB, 2 DB, 2 IDP FLX

**IDP scoring is TKL heavy (1.0 solo and asst), no QBH or TFL.**

QB: Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts
RB: Jahmyr Gibbs, D’Andre Swift, Jerome Ford, Khalil Herbert, Jaleel McLaughlin, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Isaiah Spiller, Chase Brown, Evan Hull (IR), Sean Tucker
WR: Amon-Ra St. Brown, DeVonta Smith, Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Josh Palmer, Demario Douglas, Alec Pierce, Michael Wilson, Jalin Hyatt, Kayshon Boutte (Taxi)
TE: Sam LaPorta, Trey McBride
K: Jake Elliott
DL: Danielle Hunter, Aiden Hutchinson, Jaelan Phillips (IR)
LB: Bobby Wagner, Jordyn Brooks, Logan Wilson, Ernest Jones
DB: Derwin James, Brian Branch

zaner75
Captain
Captain

Postby zaner75 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:01 am

This is like baseball where there are AL-only and NL-only leagues. It's good that players can be grandfathered in where they are taken, not that trades happen much in-season for top players.
Are players grandfathered forever or do they have to be traded the next off-season? What about free agency next season? If the players switch conferences, do owners have to trade them?
I think RBs take on even more positional scarcity value with the ability to start up to 4. Only 2 teams will have a 3rd QB, so handcuffing your QB is likely going to be needed. TE strategy is likely the same as there are only 2 who make a difference, so if you want the advantage, you'll have to pay up. WR is deepest. Without looking at a AFC specific draft list, I would likely prioritize QB and RB in rounds 1-4 at the minimum