Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

Postby Ice » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:01 pm

I thought the QB's last year were very close. I was a huge fan of Herbert who I thought had the highest long term upside but even though I bought him in all leagues I was still surprised at his grace under fire. Maybe Wilson is all that but I doubt he will be.

Lawrence is far above these other QB's. I do like several but Lawrence has been a prodigy since his freshman year in high school.

I get people want to sew a narrative at others expense but I am all but certain Lawrence would go 1.1 by all 32 teams and it's not really close.

Time will tell.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:26 pm

Yeah, pissed I missed Herbert in the second round in all of my drafts.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Straycatz2
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Straycatz2 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:11 pm

Ice wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:01 pm I thought the QB's last year were very close. I was a huge fan of Herbert who I thought had the highest long term upside but even though I bought him in all leagues I was still surprised at his grace under fire. Maybe Wilson is all that but I doubt he will be.

Lawrence is far above these other QB's. I do like several but Lawrence has been a prodigy since his freshman year in high school.
How would you rank the current qb class? Any Herbert among them not named Lawrence?

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:54 am

Straycatz2 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:11 pm
Ice wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:01 pm I thought the QB's last year were very close. I was a huge fan of Herbert who I thought had the highest long term upside but even though I bought him in all leagues I was still surprised at his grace under fire. Maybe Wilson is all that but I doubt he will be.

How would you rank the current qb class? Any Herbert among them not named Lawrence?
Wilson; I like Wilson as the 2nd best easily. He actually reminds me a bit of Mahomes in his style of play.

Mac Jones is the most underrated and my 3rd right now. That said, I haven't had time to really evaluate Fields and Lance in depth just yet. Think Lance could move into my #3 spot.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:20 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:00 pm
murphysxm wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:35 am
Dynos wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:21 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQKEuy_xAT4

chris simms talking about his ranking qb 2021

even if have lot of qb, starting to consider him if he's there at 1.05
The baseline starts with Rodgers and Mahomes? That is bold
I don't want to overthink this, because we're overthinking this, but could we be looking at a Herbert situation? Where we're seeing two very good QB's ahead of him (Tua/Burrow) and just slightly negating what Wilson has done/can do? I don't think his ceiling is higher than Trevor, but if Wilson went to JAX and Trevor went to NYJ then you start to question which one might have the better career.
I don't think JAX has the balls to do it. Its such a risky move, At least with Tlaw you could say consensus was wrong, if you take Wilson and he busts....thats your job on the line immediately lol
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:28 am

I have to agree that the Jags are tied to Lawrence. More than any year really, this is a case where it is consensus, where if you pass, you will be killed in the media and likely by the fans, and be at significant risk immediately. It seems like an unnecessary risk to take given what Lawrence is, even if you think another QB has perhaps a little more upside. Is the lower floor worth the risk? I just don’t think they can make the move even if you feel Wilson may have an edge. It would be EXTREMELY bold.

I’m in on Wilson as a Jets fans. I really hope they don’t crush my optimism and take Fields...

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:30 am

Urban went to Jacksonville because of Trevor Lawrence, he's going number 1, and all this Wilson > Lawrence talk is just a media driven storyline because having an unquestioned #1 pick just isn't an interesting story. Same thing happened last year with the Burrow refusing to play for Cincinnati storyline, it was just made up to give themselves something to talk about.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:56 am

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:30 amSame thing happened last year with the Burrow refusing to play for Cincinnati storyline
he may not be using crutches at the moment if he actually did!

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:00 pm

killer_of_giants wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:56 am
bjd5211 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:30 amSame thing happened last year with the Burrow refusing to play for Cincinnati storyline
It was a freak play that could happen at any given time to any player, there are terrible OLs across the league every year and that play is hardly a common occurrence.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:08 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:26 pm Yeah, pissed I missed Herbert in the second round in all of my drafts.
I've kinda settled into half pissed (why didn't I at least dart throw once the drafts had settled into the bottom end of things in 1QB), and not pissed (I just suck at evaluating QB's).

Since 2010 QB evaluation of the consensus QB's is just incredibly hit and miss, as you see about those posts regarding how few are still with their original drafting team, how many aren't starters etc, but in general, it's just not an easy process and the best I can do, is rather than pretend I know exactly what I'm seeing, just try and note why I was wrong about some guys:

Darnold: there were warning signs his final year at USC

Watson: I was totally sold until his velocity drill, I no longer pay any attention whatsoever to that drill.

Tua: Maybe I should've taken the injury more seriously, even though it's early.

Josh Allen: I guess you can learn to be accurate, maybe? Regardless as a runner, he was worth investing in. At worst he was a potential Cam Newton 2.0. Should've noted that.

Herbert: That last year Dan Marino Subpar Rule. Pay attention to that, Herbert was the consensus #2 QB going into the fall of '19, should've meant more than it did.

And also feel good about the one's I probably got right:

There was only one QB in '19 worth drafting.

The top of the '16 class was mega-overdrafted. Ignore need based QB selections who don't merit the love (which is why other than at a major discount, I totally ignored Jones and Haskins three years later).

Trubisky never made sense.

Mahomes is a stud, Baker is a good QB.

And remain confused about ones that just don't make sense to me:

Winston was sooo good at FSU it's been so confusing to see him be an interception machine in the pros.

I still don't know what went wrong with Josh Rosen but there is a lesson in it: while it's probably fine to ignore situation with RB's and WR's long term, with QB's, situation is generally key. If they land in the wrong situation they're almost always screwed. Rosen landed in back to back nightmares, and is now suffering for it. It's not a coincidence that most of the busts landed with teams that fired their coaches and generally sucked F.O. and/or Owner on downward.

If you think about it:

Darnold to the Jets

Rosen to the emptyheaded Cardinals and to a tanking Dolphins team.

Jones to an inept Giants team

Haskins to a desloate Redskins regime.

Most of the seeming mega busts were drafted and developed by total incompetents in terms of franchises, so perhaps we should really consider that aspect of QB landing spot.

Jacksonville looks competent so Lawrence seems find.

The Jets brought in a defensive guy when they appear set to draft a QB. So that's a minus, the organization sucks so that's another minus, whose their OC? I probably should look into that.

Then check out where Fields/Lance in particular and Mac Jones and Trask land. Good, great, or awful?

Probably not a bad way to evaluate at least some of these guys long term.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:16 pm

stoneghost28 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:08 pm
wickerkat1212 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:26 pm Yeah, pissed I missed Herbert in the second round in all of my drafts.
I've kinda settled into half pissed (why didn't I at least dart throw once the drafts had settled into the bottom end of things in 1QB), and not pissed (I just suck at evaluating QB's).

Since 2010 QB evaluation of the consensus QB's is just incredibly hit and miss, as you see about those posts regarding how few are still with their original drafting team, how many aren't starters etc, but in general, it's just not an easy process and the best I can do, is rather than pretend I know exactly what I'm seeing, just try and note why I was wrong about some guys:

Watson: I was totally sold until his velocity drill, I no longer pay any attention whatsoever to that drill.

Josh Allen: I guess you can learn to be accurate, maybe? Regardless as a runner, he was worth investing in. At worst he was a potential Cam Newton 2.0. Should've noted that.

Herbert: That last year Dan Marino Subpar Rule. Pay attention to that, Herbert was the consensus #2 QB going into the fall of '19, should've meant more than it did.

The top of the '16 class was mega-overdrafted. Ignore need based QB selections who don't merit the love (which is why other than at a major discount, I totally ignored Jones and Haskins three years later).

Winston was sooo good at FSU it's been so confusing to see him be an interception machine in the pros.

I still don't know what went wrong with Josh Rosen but there is a lesson in it: while it's probably fine to ignore situation with RB's and WR's long term, with QB's, situation is generally key. If they land in the wrong situation they're almost always screwed. Rosen landed in back to back nightmares, and is now suffering for it. It's not a coincidence that most of the busts landed with teams that fired their coaches and generally sucked F.O. and/or Owner on downward.

If you think about it:

Darnold to the Jets

Most of the seeming mega busts were drafted and developed by total incompetents in terms of franchises, so perhaps we should really consider that aspect of QB landing spot.

The Jets brought in a defensive guy when they appear set to draft a QB. So that's a minus, the organization sucks so that's another minus, whose their OC? I probably should look into that.

Then check out where Fields/Lance in particular and Mac Jones and Trask land. Good, great, or awful?

Mike Lafleur--brother of Matt and from the Shanahan tree

Big determinant for the Jets will be if they can get a WR1 in free agency

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:12 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:00 pm
killer_of_giants wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:56 am
It was a freak play that could happen at any given time to any player, there are terrible OLs across the league every year and that play is hardly a common occurrence.
like i'd miss the chance to bleep on the bengals because of some reasonable argument!

SStory93
Role Player
Role Player

Postby SStory93 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:58 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:16 pm

If you think about it:

Darnold to the Jets

So based off this would you still consider Fields over Wilson?

Before the championship game, the talk was that Fields is every bit as good as Lawrence if not better.

Now Mormon Mahomes (Zac Wilson) is the best QB to enter the draft besides Burrows and Lawrence per PFF.
12 Team PPR 2 Flex

QB: Hurts | Watson | Cousins
RB: Hall | Achane | Ekeler| Chubb | Kamara
WR: Hill | AJ Brown | Chase | Aiyuk
TE: Njoku | Waller

🏆: 2023

12 Team PPR SuperFlex IDP

QB: Hurts | Fields | Mayfield
RB: Bijan | Saquon | Ford
WR: Chase | Jefferson | AJ Brown | Metcalf | Puka | Collins
TE: Pitts | Freieemuth
DL: T. Watt
LB: White
DB: Adams | Kearse | Stingley

🏆: 2023

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:08 pm

SStory93 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:58 pm
StripesOfKC wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:16 pm

If you think about it:

Darnold to the Jets

So based off this would you still consider Fields over Wilson?

Before the championship game, the talk was that Fields is every bit as good as Lawrence if not better.

Now Mormon Mahomes (Zac Wilson) is the best QB to enter the draft besides Burrows and Lawrence per PFF.
I always had Wilson over Fields (and Lawrence over both). I've had Lance over Fields too. For fantasy Fields>Mac because of rushing but for the NFL those two are pretty close for me too

I have never been a Fields fan

Blackout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Who is your "guy" for this upcoming rookie class?

Postby Blackout » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:15 pm

Tamorrion Terry
Terrace Marshall