Mike Evans - The Dislike Is Real for this Perennial WR1 - Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Re: Why is Mike Evans so disliked in the fantasy community?

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:14 pm

CGW wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:26 pmADP wise I think hes ranked just fine. I might have him ahead of Higgins or mclaurin but fully get the age argument of either of them ahead of him. Where his value seems to be off is in the price you pay. All of the above list cost a mid to early 1st at least. Evans, as seen in the trades listed in this thread and elsewhere, can often be had for a late 1st or less. His value discrepancy seems to be price rather than ranking.
So that’s a totally valid point! I would just say that if that’s your point, I probably wouldn’t title the thread “Why is Mike Evans so disliked in the fantasy community” because it seems like as a whole the community values him just fine. (I know you didn’t start the thread, CGW, just making the point.)

I also agree with your rankings, and I might actually prefer him to Michael Thomas post-Brees to be honest, but I’ll also probably have JuJu ahead of him this off-season.

I agree that it’s crazy to get a player valued as a fringe WR1 in ADP for a second, but I don’t think that this phenomenon is unique to Mike Evans either.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:49 am

MFundercover wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:45 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:35 pm
MFundercover wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:37 am
I dont understand the argument. Are you saying a players track record doesn't effect their value? Or that Evans being big negatively effects his fantasy value? If I'm misunderstanding, then my bad. But if that's actually what you're saying, then yeah I disagree.

The rest of the post though, I just disagree with. If this were some fluke WR1 finish I would agree, but he always hits his numbers, and until we see something to indicate that will change, like an injury or a talent regression, there's no reason to drop his value. Not for my money at least.

Out of the past 7 seasons, Evans has finished ahead of Allen 5 times in full ppr. I get that injury affected Allens career (Evans finished as the WR2 one of those years) but I just dont agree. Evans is proven better, even in ppr.

Anyway, I've been awake way too long. Thanks for the response.
Not sure we are on the same wavelength here. I'm not asking you to agree to anything, and I'm not saying what my particular stance is on the subject either. You asked for reasons why people might be lower on Evans than other WR's and I'm giving them to you. Your average FF player sees Evans putting up 40 or 50 yards a week on most weeks and they're not going to think "well this guy is clearly an elite wr".

Track record is a good thing but you KNOW dynasty community hates older players. Why are you acting as if all this is confusing to you. I don't really get it. I'm not disagreeing with you. You asked for reasons and I'm giving you reasons. I'm not asking you to agree with those reasons. Again, he's going to be 28 with sporadic weekly reception and yardage totals the past 2 years. 2 years is an eternity for most dynasty players. The recent rookie wr's have been amazing which pushes Evans down. Other high end WR's of Evans age (Adams, Hopkins, Allen) are all more consistent in reception and/or yardage on a weekly basis. I dont follow Evans closely but he constantly seems to be dinged up, in and out of games. His QB could retire or become washed at any moment. In general, based on what I've seen people saying, people are fading the bigger WR's. You don't have to agree but you asked for reasons of what people could be thinking and there they are. Now clearly you don't put a lot of stock into the stuff i just listed but other people might.
Well, nobody think he is as valuable as Adams or Hopkins.

But to stick with the Keenan comparison, I'll say it again. You're argument is that Keenan catches more balls and that Evans is always injured. Though Evans has outscored him in full ppr 5/7 seasons and been more reliable with his health. It's not even debateable so honestly don't understand how Allen deserves to be ranked ahead of him.

I'm not looking for a huge return in Evans. I understand the emergence of WRs in the past 2 draft classes push him down a bit. But for example, fantasypros ranking Allen at 11 and Evans at 21 in their latest trade value chart, a full 1st round pick difference is an absurd evaluation to me and it makes trading him very difficult.
I don't mean this to be snarky or rude, because I think we've all been here before, but especially with this post it really sounds like you're just frustrated you league is pointing out all the downsides of a player you're trying to trade and you're seeking justification from another outlet that they are lowballing you. Nothing wrong with that, but same time, that's how trading in most leagues works. People see a depressed market for Evans and aren't going to want to pay more than that. There's a thread on Golladay (yes, different player, different value) that has the same concepts though. His value has dropped and some of the concerns around why are very valid. Granted, much of it is speculation, but that's really all fantasy is right? An "educated" guessing game. As someone else pointed out, early in the offseason is a really hard time to trade veterans to begin with. If your goal is to trade Evans, you missed the high water mark a couple weeks prior to fantasy playoffs and will probably have to wait till that time again in 2021 to maximize value (but it still may not be as high as you'd like). If your goal is just to use him to acquire specific picks or players, and you have so much faith in him outplaying his value, trade another one of the WRs in your sig who's perceived value is equal to what you think their production is. Looks like you have enough options to not tank your WR corp and still pull off whatever you're trying to get in a trade. But in general know that fantasy players only respect rankings/trade value charts/trade analyzers etc. as evidence in a trade when they support their side; when they don't they'll be the first to point out all the flaws and how you can't go by them lol.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:32 am

I would like to thank the OP for getting me thinking I can acquire him undervalue. Just got for a 2021 2.01 and am very happy about the purchase
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:15 am

murphysxm wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:32 am I would like to thank the OP for getting me thinking I can acquire him undervalue. Just got for a 2021 2.01 and am very happy about the purchase
Its absurd to think a perennial WR1 entering his prime can be had for a 2nd. Nice work.

Finfansteve
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Finfansteve » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:14 pm

Same here. I never even considered Evans as a possible trade target until this thread started. It opened my eyes
Qb: Hurts, geno Smith
Rb: JT, Gibbs, Montgomery, Roschon, Z. White, Ty Chandler
Wr: AJB, JJ, Chase, waddle, DK, G Wilson, Palmer
TE: Pitts, Kincaid, Likely, Njoku

2024 1.01, 1.04, 1.10
10 team
9 players kept yearly
Non PPR
Not super flex
Start 1/1/2/1/2 flex
1 point per first down
All tds 6 points

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:09 pm

CGW wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:15 am
murphysxm wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:32 am I would like to thank the OP for getting me thinking I can acquire him undervalue. Just got for a 2021 2.01 and am very happy about the purchase
Its absurd to think a perennial WR1 entering his prime can be had for a 2nd. Nice work.
I mean yeah, anything can happen in any league. And yes while I agree Evans is undervalued (which is a pivot for me, I thought he looked toast earlier this year) and I actually bought him in my main league, I don't think these trades like 2.01 for Evans are really the standard.

KeepTradeCut is crowd-sourced rankings and has Evans' value as well ahead of a late 1st, and slightly ahead of a mid 1st.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:47 am

Farley wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:02 am
Here's DLF's wide receiver rankings. (You'll notice Allen is not on the list because he's actually ranked lower...although there are definite arguments for ranking him higher). I've included ages, as well. Who should the consensus be moving Evans above on this list? WR15 seems about right. And that's still pretty damn valuable.

WR1 DK Metcalf 23
WR2 Davante Adams 28
WR3 Tyreek Hill 26
WR4 AJ Brown 23
WR5 Justin Jefferson 21
WR6 D. Hopkins 28
WR7 CeeDee Lamb 21
WR8 Michael Thomas 27
WR9 Calvin Ridley 26
WR10 Terry McLaurin 25
WR11 Stefon Diggs 27
WR12 Chris Godwin 24
WR13 Tee Higgins 22
WR14 DJ Moore 23
WR15 Mike Evans 27
I think from 10 or so on down it's subjective and also depends on situation. As a contender I like my chances with still prime Evans over McLaurin, Godwin, Moore and Higgins.

Having said that, I understand Evans at 15 too.
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:36 am

Crazy to think Evans is only a year older than Ridley

heydangle
All Pro
All Pro

Postby heydangle » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:42 pm

Been shopping him in one league. Not getting a lot of interest

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:57 am

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:36 am Crazy to think Evans is only a year older than Ridley
Wow that is crazy

willistylz1979
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby willistylz1979 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:07 pm

Ppr 1QB
Just received an offer for my Evans, 2021 1.5 + Mims

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:08 pm

willistylz1979 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:07 pm Ppr 1QB
That's actually a reasonable pricetag. Mid 1st and a prospect.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:26 pm

CGW wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:08 pm
That's actually a reasonable pricetag. Mid 1st and a prospect.
I agree. Think that's a pretty easy price for a contender to pay for a solid WR1/2.

And for a rebuilder you get Mims and one of Smith, Pitts, Waddle, etc assuming Harris, ETN and Chase are gone. Not a bad deal for the most disliked player in fantasy

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:46 pm

No way I'd trade 1.05 AND Mins for Mike Evans. Honestly, in the off-season, I wouldn't even trade the 1.05.. so this is a high offer.
Mike Evans has been TD dependent, besides his big late season blowup, Evans was a low end WR2. I get he looked healthier towards the end of season, but I'm not given up 1.05 plus for him.

Sure, that might be team dependent, but on value alone I'd rather the 1.05. during the season, if Evans looks worth a 1st draft pick, then I'd make the trade, but not in the offseason.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:59 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:46 pm
No way I'd trade 1.05 AND Mins for Mike Evans. Honestly, in the off-season, I wouldn't even trade the 1.05.. so this is a high offer.
Mike Evans has been TD dependent, besides his big late season blowup, Evans was a low end WR2. I get he looked healthier towards the end of season, but I'm not given up 1.05 plus for him.

Sure, that might be team dependent, but on value alone I'd rather the 1.05. during the season, if Evans looks worth a 1st draft pick, then I'd make the trade, but not in the offseason.
This is crazy talk to me. This really speaks to the undervaluing Evans gets
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts