Jalen Hurts: What's the verdict?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Jalen Hurts

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:42 am

stoneghost28 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:30 am Any rookie QB that played well in this environment deserves a ton of plaudits because it's incredibly difficult to succeed when everything is actually in place, and things are normal, to do it in this ---- show Covid Nightmare season is unbelievable (take a bow, Herbert and Burrow). So from that side of things, he was incredibly impressive.
i'd leave the "incredibly impressive" tag for herbert and burrow.
hurts was alright, for three games. far from a slam dunk.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:53 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:42 am
stoneghost28 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:30 am Any rookie QB that played well in this environment deserves a ton of plaudits because it's incredibly difficult to succeed when everything is actually in place, and things are normal, to do it in this ---- show Covid Nightmare season is unbelievable (take a bow, Herbert and Burrow). So from that side of things, he was incredibly impressive.
His rushing was incredibly impressive, even from a skeptics point of view.

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:23 pm

CGW wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:53 am
killer_of_giants wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:42 am
His rushing was incredibly impressive, even from a skeptics point of view.
Yes, but his passing was not impressive at all, so overall I think "alright" is pretty accurate.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:06 pm

CGW wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:10 am I'm curious to see if the Eagles can build a run based offense like Baltimore to support his efficient running skill.

Ideally, the eagles work on him over the summer and can get his accuracy improved. If he can get from 52% up to close to what he was in college, he can probably be successful. 52% wont cut it long term. Even Lamar completes passes at 64%+.
Worth mentioning that for Lamar's rookie season, his completion percentage was 58% for an overall QBR of 42.6 in 7 games started.

Lamar being perfect proof that having a full offseason to train with pro-level coaches and to design a complete system around a mobile QB's strengths... combine that with a full training camp of reps... Hurts did pretty well given the circumstance.

I got Hurts at 2.10 in my SF. I probably wouldn't be scrambling to pay a 1st for him, but I'd only sell him for mid-1st-or-higher too. He's the perfect kind of variance play in SF fantasy that can tip a team from contender into a powerhouse in 2021 if just one or two things go his way this next year.

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:58 am

Did some digging into Hurts' performances, and a few things stand out:
  • Fumbles are definitely an issue that he'll have to clean up
  • Accuracy is much better than the 52% that the box score indicates. I feel confident saying that right now, Hurts is a better NFL passer than Lamar Jackson. Not a better QB, and definitely not as athletic, but Hurts > LJ as a pure thrower of the football.
  • The offense in general was much more efficient & productive with Hurts under center than Wentz
(For the below comparison, I'm extrapolating some of Hurts / Philly's stats from the Washington game to account the team pulling him in the 2nd half)

In the 4 games that Hurts started, the team averaged 178 rushing yards, 248 passing yards (426 total yards) and 24 points.

In the 12 games that Wentz started, the team averaged 110 rushing yards, 228 passing yards (338 total yards) and 19.9 points.

If you extrapolate Hurts' 4 games (assuming 3.5 games, really) his 16-game pace was 3,676 passing yards, 20 TDs / 12 INTs w/ 1,088 rushing yards and 12 rushing TDs. Again, fumbles were a serious issue, but hopefully that's a mechanic he can work on in the off-season. Maybe the 1,000 rushing yards & 12 TDs isn't sustainable, but w/ recent trends in the NFL, I could see him pushing 750+ rushing yards and 7+ TDs consistently. For fantasy purposes, those rushing totals alone would make Hurts a top10 QB.

I think Philadelphia would be crazy NOT to commit to Hurts this off-season. They need to address the OL (getting healthy is a start) and add another weapon or two, but this team rallied around Hurts and I think he provided enough flashes to enter 2021 as the starting QB. I'd be shocked if Hurts wasn't under center in week 1, but his growth & Philly's ability to surround him with the right pieces will go a long way in determining whether he turns into the long-term answer.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:04 am

kmbryant09 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:58 am Did some digging into Hurts' performances, and a few things stand out:
  • Accuracy is much better than the 52% that the box score indicates. I feel confident saying that right now, Hurts is a better NFL passer than Lamar Jackson. Not a better QB, and definitely not as athletic, but Hurts > LJ as a pure thrower of the football.
  • The offense in general was much more efficient & productive with Hurts under center than Wentz
(For the below comparison, I'm extrapolating some of Hurts / Philly's stats from the Washington game to account the team pulling him in the 2nd half)

In the 4 games that Hurts started, the team averaged 178 rushing yards, 248 passing yards (426 total yards) and 24 points.

In the 12 games that Wentz started, the team averaged 110 rushing yards, 228 passing yards (338 total yards) and 19.9 points.

If you extrapolate Hurts' 4 games (assuming 3.5 games, really) his 16-game pace was 3,676 passing yards, 20 TDs / 12 INTs w/ 1,088 rushing yards and 12 rushing TDs. Again, fumbles were a serious issue, but hopefully that's a mechanic he can work on in the off-season. Maybe the 1,000 rushing yards & 12 TDs isn't sustainable, but w/ recent trends in the NFL, I could see him pushing 750+ rushing yards and 7+ TDs consistently. For fantasy purposes, those rushing totals alone would make Hurts a top10 QB.

I think Philadelphia would be crazy NOT to commit to Hurts this off-season. They need to address the OL (getting healthy is a start) and add another weapon or two, but this team rallied around Hurts and I think he provided enough flashes to enter 2021 as the starting QB. I'd be shocked if Hurts wasn't under center in week 1, but his growth & Philly's ability to surround him with the right pieces will go a long way in determining whether he turns into the long-term answer.
I agree with this. While he is not a perfect QB prospect at this point, he showed too many positives to not plan on him as the starter next year. With an off-season to prepare and some catering of the offense to him, he should do well, or at least well enough to justify him. I would expect him to improve as a passer next year and regress on his rushing stats some, as I don't know if that is sustainable.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:08 am

Is Hurst now droppable in shallow dynasty leagues (I can only keep 15 players) with the hiring if Nick Sirianni, who was brought in to get something out of Wentz?
It's a bummer, I was looking forward to Hurts next year, I think he offers intriguing high upside as a fantasy QB.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:17 am

remedy29 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:08 am Is Hurst now droppable in shallow dynasty leagues (I can only keep 15 players) with the hiring if Nick Sirianni, who was brought in to get something out of Wentz?
It's a bummer, I was looking forward to Hurts next year, I think he offers intriguing high upside as a fantasy QB.
In 1QB with 15 keepers, I would think only about 10-15 QB are kept depending on # of teams in the league.

Hurts has upside, and it depends on your other keepers, but you're probably better off keeping other players

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Postby Life of Pablo » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:22 am

As 1) an Eagles fan, 2) a Wentz owner, and 3) a Hurts owner, I f***ing hate this lol.

I am still hoping that Hurts is the starter next season, one way or another. For the sake of both my fantasy team and my Eagles. I just think the team's relationship with Wentz is too fractured at this point for it to continue.
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Dynos
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Dynos » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:04 am

wondering if eagle will take a qb with their 6th pick. IMO it would be a huge mistake! OL should be the pick and try jalen hurts for 1 year
2019 Champion! 2022 Champion!

Team 1: Superflex, Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 flex WR/TE,1 Sflex

QB:P. Mahomes, R.Tannehill, J.Hurts
RB: E.Elliott,James Robinson, Chris Carson, L.Fournette, T.Etienne , Tony Pollard,hassan haskins,donta foreman, jaylen warren
WR: Justin Jefferson A.J Brown, M.Thomas, Marquise Brown, T.Lockett, skyy moore, romeo doubs, alec pierce Donovan Peoples-Jones, J.Palmer
TE: kyle pitts, juwan johnson,mckitty

2021 Champion!
Team 2: Superflex, Start 1Qb, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex Wr/TE. 1 SFlex, 1 Flex RB/WR/TE
QB: J.Herbert, Z.Wilson, K.Cousins, K.Pickett,K.Mond
RB: J.Taylor, JK Dobbins, N.Harris, N.Hines, G.Edwards, James Cook, J.Ford, Dameon Pierce, P.Strong, D.Foreman (Jermaine Burton Devy)
WR: J.Chase,Garett Wilson , B.Aiyuk, C.Sutton, R.Bateman, G.Davis, M.Hardman,J.Palmer,
TE: D.Waller R.Tonyan, B.Jordan, Cameron Brate, Cade Otton, G.Everett

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:26 am

Dynos wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:04 am wondering if eagle will take a qb with their 6th pick. IMO it would be a huge mistake! OL should be the pick and try jalen hurts for 1 year
They shouldn't make the mistake that other teams do when they pass on QBs while knowing they don't have a long-term answer at QB.

Detroit for instance, could've had Justin Herbert right now.

If there's a better QB talent than Hurts available, they should take him.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:03 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:26 am They shouldn't make the mistake that other teams do when they pass on QBs while knowing they don't have a long-term answer at QB.

What if it requires trading up to do so? I think realistically, the way teams are posturing this year - the only QB the Eagles might truly be seeing at 6 is Lance (and Mac Jones). Jets have apparently tipped their hand on Wilson at 2, and you've got to think Atlanta either sprints to the podium at 4 for Fields - or lets another team give up the ransom.

The Eagles are in a good situation in that they can let the talent fall to them. It's definitely going to be a nerve-wracking ride for us Hurts owners on the night, though.

(And BTW if the pick is Lance - then I'm not worried at all as a Hurts owner, Lance is at least a year-long project that Jalen is a LONG way ahead of - he would easily beat him out for starter this year, and probably next year too if he progresses like I suspect he might)

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:54 pm

mild wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:03 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:26 am They shouldn't make the mistake that other teams do when they pass on QBs while knowing they don't have a long-term answer at QB.

What if it requires trading up to do so? I think realistically, the way teams are posturing this year - the only QB the Eagles might truly be seeing at 6 is Lance (and Mac Jones). Jets have apparently tipped their hand on Wilson at 2, and you've got to think Atlanta either sprints to the podium at 4 for Fields - or lets another team give up the ransom.

The Eagles are in a good situation in that they can let the talent fall to them. It's definitely going to be a nerve-wracking ride for us Hurts owners on the night, though.

(And BTW if the pick is Lance - then I'm not worried at all as a Hurts owner, Lance is at least a year-long project that Jalen is a LONG way ahead of - he would easily beat him out for starter this year, and probably next year too if he progresses like I suspect he might)
Yeah, I like Trey Lance, but he’s a riskier Jalen Hurts with a stronger arm, no? I mean the guy started for one year at an FCS school, there’s basically no precedent to compare him to. His range of outcomes feels like anywhere from EJ Manuel to Randall Cunningham.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:56 pm

mild wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:03 pm

I agree with all this. I'm sort of expecting it to be 3 QB in top 5. Lance wouldn't make sense at 6 to Philly imo though

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:33 pm

kmbryant09 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:58 am Did some digging into Hurts' performances, and a few things stand out:

Pretty sure they committed to him moving Wentz. They will bring in competition via draft or FA.

Like Hurts but have my doubts he is a franchise type QB. He needs to earn it. Wouldn’t be surprised if Philly drafts a Qb but they really need O Line IMO

Philly is a mess
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts