Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: Who is your "guy" for this upcoming rookie class?

Postby Ice » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:19 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:50 pm Blocking doesn't produce fantasy points, like I said in my opinion Pitts is pretty easily the best FANTASY TE prospect we have ever seen, which is why I will be targeting him fairly high in my FANTASY drafts. Yes maybe I can get him later when the rookie fever wears off, or maybe I can't, so I'll take him when I have the opportunity to do so and bet on the enormous upside which is what I target in all rookie drafts.
Agree. He is easily a mid 1st. Obviously, we all hate TE's because it takes too long for them to develop in our eyes but this kid should be drafted pretty high and held for a few years.

On the right team he could be a mega star relatively early in his career. Figure he is a top 15 NFL pick.

Worth the risk IMO.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:13 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:56 pm
ThunderTung wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:32 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:21 pm

Said the same thing about OJ Howard, Evan Engram, TJ Hockenson, Noah Fant...

I think Pitts is going to be a good pro, but people are impatient with TEs, and there will almost certainly be a window to buy him for cheaper than his rookie price before his breakout.

You could've got Kelce, Kittle, Ertz, Reed, Waller, Graham, Andrews, Eifert, Walker, Olsen, etc for half-price before they blew up regardless of their draft pedigree.
I tend to agree, most if not all of the TE's you listed went in the 1st of rookie drafts. And every single one of them you could have gotten for cheaper than that after their first year. Hockenson and Fant are just starting to come into their own. Pitts expectations are so high right now, unless he goes off in his rookie year you'll probably be able to get him for a lot cheaper than you can in this rookie draft
Ok, let's call Pitts worth pre-draft, a mid 2021 1st. What type of discount do you expect to be able to buy him for and when? After year 1, year 2? Do you expect to to be able to get him for less than a 1st?

Alternatively, he could look like a stud early on and be untouchable.
I wouldn't be shocked if you could get him for an early 2nd after his rookie year. he's a high risk high reward prospect at that capital
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:48 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:42 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:28 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:21 pm

Said the same thing about OJ Howard, Evan Engram, TJ Hockenson, Noah Fant...

I think Pitts is going to be a good pro, but people are impatient with TEs, and there will almost certainly be a window to buy him for cheaper than his rookie price before his breakout.

You could've got Kelce, Kittle, Ertz, Reed, Waller, Graham, Andrews, Eifert, Walker, Olsen, etc for half-price before they blew up regardless of their draft pedigree.
No it's not, Pitts is FAR ahead of them as fantasy prospects for me.
OJ Howard was considered a can't-miss TE for years and was more well-rounded than Pitts. Arguably the best blocking TE in the country in his collegiate career.

I love Pitts game too, but we've heard the "maybe this TE is worth a high rookie pick" argument plenty of times before. It's not that I think Pitts is going to stink; it's that I think you can get him for less than that initial price because people do not have patience with TEs.

Everyone wants the next Gronk, Kelce, Kittle, or whoever, but nobody wants to wait longer than a year or two for it.
Howard had 7 college touchdowns in 4 seasons lol not sure why anyone expected him to be can’t miss fantasy prospect.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:26 pm

There is absolutely NO WAY I'm taking Pitts, at that mid 1st cost. None. I'm generally against going TE early in a rookie draft. It's such a difficult position to learn and players fight for years to master it. If they don't go big their first year or two, their fantasy value drops hard, while you end up missing out on guys who can see value spike right away.

For those dismissing OJH, there's a handy "advanced search" function here. Search "Howard", select dynasty discussion sub forum and select to search only topic titles. This is a good thread on Howard and the pitfalls of drafting a TE early- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=140449&p=1243641&hi ... d#p1243641

Edit- here's another- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=138638&p=1223242&hi ... d#p1223242
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:07 pm

In my 12t SF;

I like Bateman if he falls to me at 2.2, maybe Trask if he’s in a good situation and still there

My second pick is 2.10, maybe Frieirmuth, or any number of WR who should be there, Amon-Ra, Toney or Terry, either Moore, Nico, Dynami...

The bummer is I don’t think there will be a RB available at 2.2 or 2.10 who will be in a good situation to matter or be worth taking over the BWRA i’m likely to see...but I’d love to hear RB suggestions for those picks from the crowd here...
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
Notable Assets in Rebuild
QB: Mahomes - Levis - Rudolph
RB: K Mitchell - J McLaughlin - C Rodriguez - Z Evans
WR: AJB - M Pittman- R Doubs - E Moore - Shaheed - C Tillman- A Iosivas
TE: MAndrews - Kraft
'24: 1.1, 1.7, 2.1, 2.6, 2.10, 3.1, 3.10
‘25: 1 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
QB: TLaw - Purdy - Goff
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - A Mattison - K Miller - J Hill
WR: CeeDee - Aiyuk - Rice - Godwin - J Reed - E Moore
TE: Kittle - Kincaid - Chig
picks: 1.09, 2.11

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:44 pm

cantguardjake wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:48 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:42 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:28 pm

No it's not, Pitts is FAR ahead of them as fantasy prospects for me.
OJ Howard was considered a can't-miss TE for years and was more well-rounded than Pitts. Arguably the best blocking TE in the country in his collegiate career.

I love Pitts game too, but we've heard the "maybe this TE is worth a high rookie pick" argument plenty of times before. It's not that I think Pitts is going to stink; it's that I think you can get him for less than that initial price because people do not have patience with TEs.

Everyone wants the next Gronk, Kelce, Kittle, or whoever, but nobody wants to wait longer than a year or two for it.
Howard had 7 college touchdowns in 4 seasons lol not sure why anyone expected him to be can’t miss fantasy prospect.
Yeah OJH was a really good prospect but not can't miss as a receiver. The college production was fine but underwhelming. He wasn't really refined as a receiver either (neither was Engram btw). You could almost say all 3 of OJH, Engram and Fant were more athletic specimens than natural receivers. And that's not to say they can't still all be great but it also means they were not can't miss. OJH was basically a DK Metcalf type of prospect but at the TE position that just didn't work out, yet. I have not dug into any tape yet but Pitts appears to be a much more natural receiver and playmaker than any of the TE's mentioned.

TJ Hockenson was more or less the only actual "can't miss" TE drafted in the past 5-6 years, and so far he's still on that path. I did a little digging and typically the best TE's do not start out hot right away. They give you mediocre production for a year or two and then "hit" in year 2 or 3.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

Postby StripesOfKC » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:54 pm

If I were Joe Burrow I'd threaten to demand a trade if the Bengals even think about not selecting OL in the first

I can't wrap my head around how awful a choice Smith or Chase would be. It's a pick that keeps awful franchises awful forever

CL3VELANDBR0WNS
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby CL3VELANDBR0WNS » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:28 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:54 pm If I were Joe Burrow I'd threaten to demand a trade if the Bengals even think about not selecting OL in the first

I can't wrap my head around how awful a choice Smith or Chase would be. It's a pick that keeps awful franchises awful forever
Will depend on what they do in FA. If they sign another quality tackle to man the right side, I would not be shocked if the pick was Chase or even Pitts.... who I believe is arguably the best player in the draft outside of Lawrence. Days 2 & 3 always offer plenty of solid guard prospects.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:41 am

The recent stafford news really shakes all of this up. Do they go QB at 1.07 now? This is gonna be one hell of a confusing offseason for us fantasy players, little information on players, no combine, new situations for Qbs, etc. Some people are saying all of this makes 2021 even more of a crapshoot for rookies, may makes for an easier situation to get some picks in what i think is a pretty solid draft. Wont be 2020 but i think the top 12-18 are going to be good and productive players in the league

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:10 am

CL3VELANDBR0WNS wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:28 am
StripesOfKC wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:54 pm If I were Joe Burrow I'd threaten to demand a trade if the Bengals even think about not selecting OL in the first

Will depend on what they do in FA. If they sign another quality tackle to man the right side, I would not be shocked if the pick was Chase or even Pitts.... who I believe is arguably the best player in the draft outside of Lawrence. Days 2 & 3 always offer plenty of solid guard prospects.
It's the Bengals. I'm not counting on any significant spending in free agency (though to their credit they tried to open up the pocket books last year at least a little on defense)

I would hope they at least trade down if taking Pitts or a WR though to get more picks and more shots at good iOL. After the Stafford news there has to be at least one team out of Carolina, SF or Denver looking to jump in for a top 4 QB assuming JAX, NYJ and ATL take the first three

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:47 pm

idc how bad of a choice it is, I would LOOOVE to see Chase and Burrow reunited. I think it would boost Chase to the 1.01 across the board
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:26 pm

ThunderTung wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:47 pm

idc how bad of a choice it is, I would LOOOVE to see Chase and Burrow reunited. I think it would boost Chase to the 1.01 across the board
Agree here. Bengals absolutely need OL help, but if they can get Chase or another high end WR, that also helps Burrow, assuming they address the OL in free agency & later in the draft.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Edgy68
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Edgy68 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:07 am

realmacaroni wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:07 pm In my 12t SF;

I like Bateman if he falls to me at 2.2, maybe Trask if he’s in a good situation and still there

My second pick is 2.10, maybe Frieirmuth, or any number of WR who should be there, Amon-Ra, Toney or Terry, either Moore, Nico, Dynami...

The bummer is I don’t think there will be a RB available at 2.2 or 2.10 who will be in a good situation to matter or be worth taking over the BWRA i’m likely to see...but I’d love to hear RB suggestions for those picks from the crowd here...
This may be a stretch at 2.02, but with T. Sermon exiting the title game after one play, he may be there. If that injury isn’t career threatening (I admit I haven’t followed up), his size-speed profile would be an excellent way to spend an early 2nd.
Wasteland
12-team, PPR 25 roster 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1(RB/WR/TE), 1 D/ST
QB J. Burrow, A. Richardson
RB J. Taylor, D. Henry, M. Sanders, B. Hall, T. Sermon, C. Patterson, P. Strong, K. Ingram, TDP, D. Achane, K. Miller, R. Johnson
WR AJ Brown, C. Ridley, J. Chase, C. Lamb, JSN, G. Pickens, K. Osborn, J. Meyers, A. Pierce, T. Scott
TE T. Kelce, D. Goedert, G. Dulcich, J. Woods
D/ST MIN, PIT, DEN

Panthers
12-team SF, .5 PPR 35 roster: 1QB, 1SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 2DB, 2LB, 2DL, 1FLEX
QB J. Burrow, A. Richardson, J. Winston, S. Howell
RB J. Mixon, E. Elliott, N. Chubb, J. Kelley, K. Harris, J. Ford
WR D. Hopkins, C. Godwin, T. Higgins, C. Ridley, J. Smith-Njigba, J. Mingo
TE T. Kelce, K. Pitts, Z. Ertz, D. Goedert, J. Ferguson
DB R. Grant, J. Simmons
DL D. Hunter, A. Highsmith, S. Hubbard
LB C. Mosley, A. Singleton, P. Queen, D. Deablo

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:36 am

remedy29 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:17 am Kadarius Toney looks like an absolute stud player. I hope he last to 2.03, but I think he will be gone by then.
I think people are going to be fooled by these senior breakouts until the end of time. I hope he pushes down Bateman and Moore.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:16 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:36 am
remedy29 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:17 am Kadarius Toney looks like an absolute stud player. I hope he last to 2.03, but I think he will be gone by then.
I think people are going to be fooled by these senior breakouts until the end of time. I hope he pushes down Bateman and Moore.
100%

Also add Terrace and Tamorrion to that list