Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
briank
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

Postby briank » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:25 am

murphysxm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:16 am
briank wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:57 am Risk everything? GTFO covid isn't a risk to these young healthy men in peak physical condition.
My son's HS baseball season was cancelled becuase he has two teammates hospitlized. You look foolish with this take.
Thank you for that bit of anecdotal evidence. We have a pretty good idea now that this virus isn't a serious risk to young healthy people. Sure there are outliers, but that is for each individual to decide.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:28 am

briank wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:54 am
Footballisacoolsport wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:01 am
briank wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:57 am

These guys get full ride scholarships to some of the most prestigious universities in the world. Let's not pretend like they play for nothing because that simply isn't true. I'd bet the vast majority of these men couldn't get into these schools with academics. This is also the only pipeline to the NFL and making big money. Risk everything? GTFO covid isn't a risk to these young healthy men in peak physical condition.
You're trolling at this point. Covid isn't a risk to them and their families? That's pathetic and you should regret saying that, because it's objectively wrong and very distasteful.

Don't act like going to college is a blessing that puts food in their mouths. Prestige?? That's way too rose tinted. The school sees them as a money maker, it's only right they be able to use the school to launch them into a career where they can make money. They don't owe these universities anything.

You have an extremely narrow minded and uneducated train of thought.
You’re trying to put words in my mouth. I didn’t say it’s not a potential risk for their families. That’s on each individual to decide. By the way, I’m not judging those who decided to opt out either. I’m all for people making their own decisions and living with those consequences. I’m just pointing out that your assertion that these kids don’t play for anything in college is completely ridiculous.

Again, you’re trying to put words in my mouth. I never said they owed these colleges anything. They absolutely view these players as money makers. That doesn’t mean a first class education isn’t worth a lot of money.

LOL at the ad hominem to close out your straw man filled rant.
They aren't getting this and you know it. The time requirements alone to play college football obliterate the idea that they are getting a first class education, now add in consideration the fact that a huge portion of these athletes are coming into colleges w/o anywhere close to the high school education necessary to be able to even access, let alone be able to take advantage of these farcical non-existent first class educations you're selling is flat out absurd.

I get that you're in the, "scholarship should be good enough," crew but that arguments been proven utterly disingenuous for decades. For God's sake we had an All Pro DE who couldn't read graduating and playing in the Super Bowl years ago, that should tell you all to know about the supposed education being provided and if you think things are so much better now, lol, I don't know what to tell you. Every decade is littered with scandals governing grading controversies, treatment, academic insanity and the like over and over ad infinitum.

The scholarship and the 2.0 GPA are a magic trick that provides eligibility. Nothing more.

More power to the athletes that take advantage of the opportunities provided with them (many going back to school after their careers end, others going during their careers), but to pretend that this is the rule for NFL level athletes rather than the rare exception is just self-deception of the highest order.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:31 am

CGW wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:57 am I hope chase falls to me at 1.08 in SF because people care that he sat out a meaningless college season. Thank you all for continuing this narrative, but i feel we could do better. I would urge you all to also consider posting it on other forums as well to make sure my league mates see it.
It's really scrambling my planning for rookie drafts. I am not interested in Harris (will turn 23 before his rookie season makes him a flat out no go for me unless it's within a hyperactive trading league where I know I can flip him after early success), and would likely prioritize Chase and Etienne at the top of drafts. I'm pretty shocked that they could fall in my lap at 2 and 3 or 3 and 4 or 2 and 4. Really need to see ADP evolve over after landing spots to get a better idea of where to try and move in drafts w/trades. Superflex is definitely more complicated, but also super exciting, to think that a guy like Chase could be had outside the top 4-6 in SF/2QB is just kind of nuts, but no doubt I'd take it.

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:44 am

stoneghost28 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:16 am
stoneghost28 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:10 pm

Good Lord man. These guys get paid NOTHING in college, and they risk everything, injury, and covid, to play for NOTHING. It was clinically insane that they had a season, and even more insane that such a huge proportion of the players agreed to do it, but that's how it works when you have little to no options. Bravo to him for being sane.

I view your take as completely nuts and just, man, ...... there are no words.

And yes, it goes without saying, Chase should go #1, if he drops to a better team because some team goes after Smith instead, more power to him, I hope it's a Rodgers to GB scenario, sometimes falling in a draft is better than getting selected by a garbage organization. Unfortunately, lots of garbage organizations will be looking for WR help, so it won't surprise me if he ends up with one anyway.
These guys get full ride scholarships to some of the most prestigious universities in the world. Let's not pretend like they play for nothing because that simply isn't true. I'd bet the vast majority of these men couldn't even get into these schools with academics. This is also the only pipeline to the NFL and making big money. Risk everything? GTFO covid isn't a risk to these young healthy men in peak physical condition.
Absurd on its face. The NCAA makes billions of dollars over time off of free labor. The scholarships you discuss are not why the players with NFL futures are going there, the captured market of an NFL Minor League is why they're going there, period. Full Stop. You can pretend all you want that the scholarship has value to these players, but all you need to do is consider how colleges treat these educations, how much time is lost by players to travel, and training, to know that the education they get, by and large, is simply an eligibility question for the vast majority, and not a contractual obligation any of the universities take seriously nor the innumerable players who know very well they'd be nowhere near that university if it wasn't for their obscene talent as an athlete. They send them through the easiest classes to pass so that they can to keep them eligible so they can rake in the $$$$. It's a joke, and it's always been a joke w/only a handful of universities like the IVY's, Notre Dame, Stanford etc demanding of themselves and their players that they take seriously the education portion of the deal. So you can GTFO w/that nonsense.

The funniest part is that Covid is half the story (and yes it does kill young men, and women, just not at commensurate rates as the elderly and 40+, and please reference the mortality rates in minority communities as well which are substantially higher than among whites), now please add in what makes not paying these players just as bad: the lethality and brutality of the game to their brains and their bodies. We are already seeing non-NFL athletes coming out of college football alone with CTE.

Its bad enough that NFL players bodies are used, discarded and forgotten by the league, owners, and often fans in quick order, and it's infinitely worse that it's done to unpaid college athletes. So yeah, there's only one person who needs to GTFO here.
The value of a scholarship to these schools is an absolute fact that we can put a price on. That value isn't erased because of their intent. The vast majority of these players don't make enough money in the NFL to set them up for life. What they do with their education is on them, but it is absolutely valuable both beyond football, and as their pipeline to the NFL. You may be right in some instances that they set them up with easy classes etc. just to keep them in the program. Again, that doesn't negate the value of their scholarship. I'm supposed to feel bad for a player who isn't getting paid to play a game in college, and just ignore the fact that the same player is given this great opportunity and chooses not to do anything with it? No. I don't feel bad for them at all. Everyone makes their own decisions and has to live with those consequences.

Again, I'm supposed to feel bad for these athletes because of CTE etc.? No, sorry I don't. Again, these are choices these men make knowing full well what the potential consequences are. I put my life on the line every single day in my career and carry far more risk than these players ever will know playing football and for a lot less money. No one is forcing these kids to play. Again, I'm not even arguing against players opting out.
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan

QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

RB Harris/Etienne
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:50 am

stoneghost28 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:28 am
briank wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:54 am
Footballisacoolsport wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:01 am

You're trolling at this point. Covid isn't a risk to them and their families? That's pathetic and you should regret saying that, because it's objectively wrong and very distasteful.

Don't act like going to college is a blessing that puts food in their mouths. Prestige?? That's way too rose tinted. The school sees them as a money maker, it's only right they be able to use the school to launch them into a career where they can make money. They don't owe these universities anything.

You have an extremely narrow minded and uneducated train of thought.
You’re trying to put words in my mouth. I didn’t say it’s not a potential risk for their families. That’s on each individual to decide. By the way, I’m not judging those who decided to opt out either. I’m all for people making their own decisions and living with those consequences. I’m just pointing out that your assertion that these kids don’t play for anything in college is completely ridiculous.

Again, you’re trying to put words in my mouth. I never said they owed these colleges anything. They absolutely view these players as money makers. That doesn’t mean a first class education isn’t worth a lot of money.

LOL at the ad hominem to close out your straw man filled rant.
They aren't getting this and you know it. The time requirements alone to play college football obliterate the idea that they are getting a first class education, now add in consideration the fact that a huge portion of these athletes are coming into colleges w/o anywhere close to the high school education necessary to be able to even access, let alone be able to take advantage of these farcical non-existent first class educations you're selling is flat out absurd.

I get that you're in the, "scholarship should be good enough," crew but that arguments been proven utterly disingenuous for decades. For God's sake we had an All Pro DE who couldn't read graduating and playing in the Super Bowl years ago, that should tell you all to know about the supposed education being provided and if you think things are so much better now, lol, I don't know what to tell you. Every decade is littered with scandals governing grading controversies, treatment, academic insanity and the like over and over ad infinitum.

The scholarship and the 2.0 GPA are a magic trick that provides eligibility. Nothing more.

More power to the athletes that take advantage of the opportunities provided with them (many going back to school after their careers end, others going during their careers), but to pretend that this is the rule for NFL level athletes rather than the rare exception is just self-deception of the highest order.
The opportunity is absolutely there. Just because most don't take advantage of it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

More straw man arguments. I never said scholarships should be good enough. I said the assertion that they play for nothing in college is ridiculous and it is. I never said it was "the rule" for NFL players either, but every single one given a scholarship has that opportunity. That's worth something whether or not they take advantage of it.
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan

QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

RB Harris/Etienne
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:08 pm

stoneghost28 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:16 am
stoneghost28 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:10 pm

Good Lord man. These guys get paid NOTHING in college, and they risk everything, injury, and covid, to play for NOTHING. It was clinically insane that they had a season, and even more insane that such a huge proportion of the players agreed to do it, but that's how it works when you have little to no options. Bravo to him for being sane.

I view your take as completely nuts and just, man, ...... there are no words.

And yes, it goes without saying, Chase should go #1, if he drops to a better team because some team goes after Smith instead, more power to him, I hope it's a Rodgers to GB scenario, sometimes falling in a draft is better than getting selected by a garbage organization. Unfortunately, lots of garbage organizations will be looking for WR help, so it won't surprise me if he ends up with one anyway.
These guys get full ride scholarships to some of the most prestigious universities in the world. Let's not pretend like they play for nothing because that simply isn't true. I'd bet the vast majority of these men couldn't even get into these schools with academics. This is also the only pipeline to the NFL and making big money. Risk everything? GTFO covid isn't a risk to these young healthy men in peak physical condition.
Absurd on its face. The NCAA makes billions of dollars over time off of free labor. The scholarships you discuss are not why the players with NFL futures are going there, the captured market of an NFL Minor League is why they're going there, period. Full Stop. You can pretend all you want that the scholarship has value to these players, but all you need to do is consider how colleges treat these educations, how much time is lost by players to travel, and training, to know that the education they get, by and large, is simply an eligibility question for the vast majority, and not a contractual obligation any of the universities take seriously nor the innumerable players who know very well they'd be nowhere near that university if it wasn't for their obscene talent as an athlete. They send them through the easiest classes to pass so that they can to keep them eligible so they can rake in the $$$$. It's a joke, and it's always been a joke w/only a handful of universities like the IVY's, Notre Dame, Stanford etc demanding of themselves and their players that they take seriously the education portion of the deal. So you can GTFO w/that nonsense.

The funniest part is that Covid is half the story (and yes it does kill young men, and women, just not at commensurate rates as the elderly and 40+, and please reference the mortality rates in minority communities as well which are substantially higher than among whites), now please add in what makes not paying these players just as bad: the lethality and brutality of the game to their brains and their bodies. We are already seeing non-NFL athletes coming out of college football alone with CTE.

Its bad enough that NFL players bodies are used, discarded and forgotten by the league, owners, and often fans in quick order, and it's infinitely worse that it's done to unpaid college athletes. So yeah, there's only one person who needs to GTFO here.
You realize how small of a fraction of football players get full rides right? Many of the kids out there on Saturdays are using the colleges and their football skills to get into to a school maybe above their academic resume and reduce a the cost of that education because they know they don't have a futire in professional sports.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:27 pm

blah blah blah, take it to the dm's, dogs, this is wack

someone talk about draft prospect in a meaningful way to FF already

what u guys are doing doesn't belong here
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
Notable Assets in Rebuild
QB: Mahomes - Levis - Rudolph
RB: K Mitchell - J McLaughlin - C Rodriguez - Z Evans
WR: AJB - M Pittman- R Doubs - E Moore - Shaheed - C Tillman- A Iosivas
TE: MAndrews - Kraft
'24: 1.1, 1.7, 2.1, 2.6, 2.10, 3.1, 4.2, 4.7
‘25: 1 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds

1st YEAR START-UP
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
QB: TLaw - Purdy - Goff
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - A Mattison - K Miller - R Freeman - J Hill
WR: CeeDee - Diggs - Aiyuk - Godwin - J Reed - E Moore - A Pierce - C Tillman
TE: Kittle - Kincaid

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:29 pm

yep, sorry.....

So if a Kyle Trask or a Mac Jones end up in Indy, ho much does that push them up?
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:35 pm

I'm in SF so i already have them 2.2 and 2.3 (QB5 and 6) respectively. It's a solid path to starter, even if a takes a Herbert or Tua type scenario. And the Indy tools and O-line should help keep them upright and able
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

1st YEAR START-UP
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - A Mattison - K Miller - R Freeman - J Hill

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:12 pm

briank wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:25 am
murphysxm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:16 am
briank wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:57 am Risk everything? GTFO covid isn't a risk to these young healthy men in peak physical condition.
My son's HS baseball season was cancelled becuase he has two teammates hospitlized. You look foolish with this take.
Thank you for that bit of anecdotal evidence. We have a pretty good idea now that this virus isn't a serious risk to young healthy people. Sure there are outliers, but that is for each individual to decide.
Isn't it the opposite? Aren't they finding more and more long term consequences of getting Covid-19, pretty sure I saw a thing on scanning peoples lungs and even the Asymptomatic peoples lungs were scarred up. I'm at work today but I'll have a look later.

Edit: I don't want to derail this thread further with links etc but you can google what I've said and it'll show up with multiple articles.
Last edited by AussieMate on Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:27 pm

murphysxm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:29 pm yep, sorry.....

So if a Kyle Trask or a Mac Jones end up in Indy, ho much does that push them up?
Trask I'm not too sure on, but I'm completely off on Mac, I just don't see much about his play that I like besides looking at his box score at the end of games. Also add to that how Tua and previous Bama QB's have looked I'm fading that system a bit, and usually I'm against team scouting but I'm at least bringing it into consideration when looking at these guys.
I really like the look of Lances potential but I doubt he gets the Indy's pick.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:33 pm

FYI I'm not in a TE premium league or anything but I'm seriously tossing up trying to get Pitts in the mid first round. 2 reasons, everyone in my league has realised how much of an advantage a top TE can be when there is only 2-4 of them, I've got Kelce so he would be his successor on my team in a few years and also keeps him off someone else's team. I'm fairly stacked in most positions so I have the luxury of just taking an elite talent at a scarce position.
It would be around pick 1.04-1.06 depending who I can get to trade with me, and I know that is early but.... I do enjoy shooting for the upside picks.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:36 pm

AussieMate wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:27 pm

Trask I'm not too sure on, but I'm completely off on Mac, I just don't see much about his play that I like besides looking at his box score at the end of games. Also add to that how Tua and previous Bama QB's have looked I'm fading that system a bit, and usually I'm against team scouting but I'm at least bringing it into consideration when looking at these guys.
I have a hard time evaluating Bama QB's (and other Bama players to a lesser extent) because they literally have the ideal scenario. Great scheme, great line, great run game, most talented roster, best coach, etc. It's almost impossible not to look good as their QB.

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:42 pm

AussieMate wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:33 pm FYI I'm not in a TE premium league or anything but I'm seriously tossing up trying to get Pitts in the mid first round. 2 reasons, everyone in my league has realised how much of an advantage a top TE can be when there is only 2-4 of them, I've got Kelce so he would be his successor on my team in a few years and also keeps him off someone else's team. I'm fairly stacked in most positions so I have the luxury of just taking an elite talent at a scarce position.
It would be around pick 1.04-1.06 depending who I can get to trade with me, and I know that is early but.... I do enjoy shooting for the upside picks.
I’m also a Kelce owner, and i think everyday about how i can pry the 1.4 or 1.6 from two willing trade partners for Pitts. However if I’m 1.4, I don’t know that I can take him there. 1.6 for sure tho...
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

1st YEAR START-UP
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:55 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:36 pm
AussieMate wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:27 pm

I have a hard time evaluating Bama QB's (and other Bama players to a lesser extent) because they literally have the ideal scenario. Great scheme, great line, great run game, most talented roster, best coach, etc. It's almost impossible not to look good as their QB.
I think its pretty simple with Mac Jones. Don't waste your SF draft capital unless he falls to the 3rd round.

He looks like a career NFL backup at best.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff