Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
NeverEndingRebuild
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Who is your "guy" for this upcoming rookie class?

Postby NeverEndingRebuild » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:07 am

I'm in a superflex and hold 1.07, 2.04 and 2.05, I am hoping to come out with at least one of Tylan Wallace, Elijah Moore and Terrace Marshall. Although I need to address my QB depth somehow (aiming for maybe Trask or Jones in the second round).

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:37 am

I really like Smith....right now. Who knows how I'll feel in 3 months. This time last season I was super high on Jeudy but fell in love with Lamb right before the draft. We'll see what happens after whatever pseudo combine we get this year
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Re: Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:10 am

I’m not worried about the reasons for a player opting out, as there are many that come into play, and instead what they did with that time. Guys miss games/seasons due to injury and have to work back from recovery, so it isn’t the end of the world. However, just need to know that while they were away from the program that they kept working and building on themselves, not just enjoying the year off. It should have been a business decision for these high outlook guys and handled like business thereafter. If they fail, it won’t be the reason they chose to sit, but what they did while they were. We simply have no line of sight into that.

Will those guys do pro days with their schools still or need to schedule their own?

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:14 am

From what I understand it's going to be regular pro days, but with the NFL "encouraging" a more standardized format and video of all the workouts.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:18 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:14 am From what I understand it's going to be regular pro days, but with the NFL "encouraging" a more standardized format and video of all the workouts.
Yes, but what about guys who opted out. Still with their colleges despite not playing this past year?

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:43 am

FiremanEd wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:18 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:14 am From what I understand it's going to be regular pro days, but with the NFL "encouraging" a more standardized format and video of all the workouts.
Yes, but what about guys who opted out. Still with their colleges despite not playing this past year?
Oh, I would assume so? I don't see why not as the year counted as if they were still in school. I suppose it's up to each individual player. It would be odd to think if Chase wanted to go to the LSU pro day and they were like "nah fam, we're good" :lol:

Footballisacoolsport
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Footballisacoolsport » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:51 am

KingsKing wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:07 pm
Footballisacoolsport wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:18 pm
thebadferret wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:39 am Answering the subject I am all over Kyle Pitts. I want him so bad and hope I can land him with pick 9 (non TE premium).
You'll probably have to move up. I'm non-TE premium 1QB and will strongly consider him at 1.02.
Wow, Bold indeed. As a general rule I stay away from TE's in the first round, I made an exception for Hock a couple years back and ended up with him at 1.10 because I thought he was almost a perfect all around prospect at his position, he could run, catch and block and I didn't love the other players available in that draft. Pitts reaching his offensive potential is largely gonna be based on where he lands, system,qb and usage. I would have a hard time taking him before the 1.05 or 1.06 right now.
Definitely a smart general rule as history is on your side. I'm not locked and loaded, I'll be water and all of this is still up in the air pre-combine/draft. Pitts looks like the most dominant player in college to me, and with the way he moves and plays his TE designation is only a plus in my eyes. By all accounts seems like a very high-character high-work ethic guy too. I think his value will slowly rise this summer until he's top 6 in most drafts.

Prepare for much discussion this offseason about statistical trends and gambling on outliers!

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:57 am

stoneghost28 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:10 pm
remedy29 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:51 pm And they will all be negatively impacted by their poor decisions. If Chase wanted to be the 1st WR taken, that is in great danger now. Not saying Chase won't be a first round pick...but he screams of a money driven guy and I'd prefer the football player that wants to compete.
Good Lord man. These guys get paid NOTHING in college, and they risk everything, injury, and covid, to play for NOTHING. It was clinically insane that they had a season, and even more insane that such a huge proportion of the players agreed to do it, but that's how it works when you have little to no options. Bravo to him for being sane.

I view your take as completely nuts and just, man, ...... there are no words.

And yes, it goes without saying, Chase should go #1, if he drops to a better team because some team goes after Smith instead, more power to him, I hope it's a Rodgers to GB scenario, sometimes falling in a draft is better than getting selected by a garbage organization. Unfortunately, lots of garbage organizations will be looking for WR help, so it won't surprise me if he ends up with one anyway.
These guys get full ride scholarships to some of the most prestigious universities in the world. Let's not pretend like they play for nothing because that simply isn't true. I'd bet the vast majority of these men couldn't even get into these schools with academics. This is also the only pipeline to the NFL and making big money. Risk everything? GTFO covid isn't a risk to these young healthy men in peak physical condition.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

Footballisacoolsport
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Footballisacoolsport » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:01 am

briank wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:57 am
remedy29 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:51 pm And they will all be negatively impacted by their poor decisions. If Chase wanted to be the 1st WR taken, that is in great danger now. Not saying Chase won't be a first round pick...but he screams of a money driven guy and I'd prefer the football player that wants to compete.
Good Lord man. These guys get paid NOTHING in college, and they risk everything, injury, and covid, to play for NOTHING. It was clinically insane that they had a season, and even more insane that such a huge proportion of the players agreed to do it, but that's how it works when you have little to no options. Bravo to him for being sane.

And yes, it goes without saying, Chase should go #1, if he drops to a better team because some team goes after Smith instead, more power to him, I hope it's a Rodgers to GB scenario, sometimes falling in a draft is better than getting selected by a garbage organization. Unfortunately, lots of garbage organizations will be looking for WR help, so it won't surprise me if he ends up with one anyway.
These guys get full ride scholarships to some of the most prestigious universities in the world. Let's not pretend like they play for nothing because that simply isn't true. I'd bet the vast majority of these men couldn't get into these schools with academics. This is also the only pipeline to the NFL and making big money. Risk everything? GTFO covid isn't a risk to these young healthy men in peak physical condition.
You're trolling at this point. Covid isn't a risk to them and their families? That's pathetic and you should regret saying that, because it's objectively wrong and very distasteful.

Don't act like going to college is a blessing that puts food in their mouths. Prestige?? That's way too rose tinted. The school sees them as a money maker, it's only right they be able to use the school to launch them into a career where they can make money. They don't owe these universities anything.

You have an extremely narrow minded and uneducated train of thought.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:15 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:43 am
Oh, I would assume so? I don't see why not as the year counted as if they were still in school. I suppose it's up to each individual player. It would be odd to think if Chase wanted to go to the LSU pro day and they were like "nah fam, we're good" :lol:
This is my only fear of Chase sittin out. Has he caught a pass from the guy throwing to him on pro day? Does he have chemistry?
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:16 am

briank wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:57 am Risk everything? GTFO covid isn't a risk to these young healthy men in peak physical condition.
My son's HS baseball season was cancelled becuase he has two teammates hospitlized. You look foolish with this take.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:37 am

LSU went 5-5. They had a mediocre season and sub par QB play. If you were Chase would you have wanted to come and play knowing full well you were going to be even more scrutinized playing rather than sitting out? He made the right choice. It might come at a cost of having Smith leapfrog him as a draft pick, but he'll still be a 1st round pick between picks 10-15 at the very least.
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:54 am

Footballisacoolsport wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:01 am

These guys get full ride scholarships to some of the most prestigious universities in the world. Let's not pretend like they play for nothing because that simply isn't true. I'd bet the vast majority of these men couldn't get into these schools with academics. This is also the only pipeline to the NFL and making big money. Risk everything? GTFO covid isn't a risk to these young healthy men in peak physical condition.
You're trolling at this point. Covid isn't a risk to them and their families? That's pathetic and you should regret saying that, because it's objectively wrong and very distasteful.

Don't act like going to college is a blessing that puts food in their mouths. Prestige?? That's way too rose tinted. The school sees them as a money maker, it's only right they be able to use the school to launch them into a career where they can make money. They don't owe these universities anything.

You have an extremely narrow minded and uneducated train of thought.
You’re trying to put words in my mouth. I didn’t say it’s not a potential risk for their families. That’s on each individual to decide. By the way, I’m not judging those who decided to opt out either. I’m all for people making their own decisions and living with those consequences. I’m just pointing out that your assertion that these kids don’t play for anything in college is completely ridiculous.

Again, you’re trying to put words in my mouth. I never said they owed these colleges anything. They absolutely view these players as money makers. That doesn’t mean a first class education isn’t worth a lot of money.

LOL at the ad hominem to close out your straw man filled rant.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:57 am

I hope chase falls to me at 1.08 in SF because people care that he sat out a meaningless college season. Thank you all for continuing this narrative, but i feel we could do better. I would urge you all to also consider posting it on other forums as well to make sure my league mates see it.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:16 am

These guys get full ride scholarships to some of the most prestigious universities in the world. Let's not pretend like they play for nothing because that simply isn't true. I'd bet the vast majority of these men couldn't even get into these schools with academics. This is also the only pipeline to the NFL and making big money. Risk everything? GTFO covid isn't a risk to these young healthy men in peak physical condition.
Absurd on its face. The NCAA makes billions of dollars over time off of free labor. The scholarships you discuss are not why the players with NFL futures are going there, the captured market of an NFL Minor League is why they're going there, period. Full Stop. You can pretend all you want that the scholarship has value to these players, but all you need to do is consider how colleges treat these educations, how much time is lost by players to travel, and training, to know that the education they get, by and large, is simply an eligibility question for the vast majority, and not a contractual obligation any of the universities take seriously nor the innumerable players who know very well they'd be nowhere near that university if it wasn't for their obscene talent as an athlete. They send them through the easiest classes to pass so that they can to keep them eligible so they can rake in the $$$$. It's a joke, and it's always been a joke w/only a handful of universities like the IVY's, Notre Dame, Stanford etc demanding of themselves and their players that they take seriously the education portion of the deal. So you can GTFO w/that nonsense.

The funniest part is that Covid is half the story (and yes it does kill young men, and women, just not at commensurate rates as the elderly and 40+, and please reference the mortality rates in minority communities as well which are substantially higher than among whites), now please add in what makes not paying these players just as bad: the lethality and brutality of the game to their brains and their bodies. We are already seeing non-NFL athletes coming out of college football alone with CTE.

Its bad enough that NFL players bodies are used, discarded and forgotten by the league, owners, and often fans in quick order, and it's infinitely worse that it's done to unpaid college athletes. So yeah, there's only one person who needs to GTFO here.