Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Re: Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

Postby Nanananananana » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:53 pm

Chase had the better season at 19 years old with Justin Jefferson, the all time leading rookie receiver on his team and Terrace Marshall. Davonte Smith did well with the 1st rounders around him least year but this year’s production was obviously Buoyed by the fact that Waddle got hurt and Metchie is not very good.

Chase averaged 21 yards per catch, Smith 16. Chase is 2 years younger and has an NFL body.

If you watch that national championship game some of those touchdowns that Smith scored were so poorly defended he was just waltzing in. I realize you can’t knock the production but college Football is soooooooooooo bad that is makes it nearly impossible to judge these guys against each other.

If Smith comes out last year he’d have been a second rounder, Chase would have been the WR1, what has actually changed did Smith become THAT much better in the past year or did his situation just become that much better.

All this said Smith will be a good NFL WR on the Emmanuel Sanders/ Calvin Ridley spectrum but Chase has the higher ceiling IMO.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:53 am

Cant knock a guy at all for sitting out this season with the pandemic. We dont know if he had at risk family or whatever and stayed out because of that. Remember at the time that decision was made we were still pretty unsure if the virus spread during games or not. So really cant knock Chase for this. I have the 1.03 and this is going to be an extremely difficult decision on who to take. Im hoping one goes to a prime spot and the other a bad spot so my decision is made for me TBH. While chase does have the more NFL type body i think its silly for Smith to be discounted on BMI when thats an easily fixable stat.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:33 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisolave_/ ... 0699618310

Ohio State WR Chris Olave announced he is staying for his Senior year.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:30 pm

Nanananananana wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:53 pm Chase had the better season at 19 years old with Justin Jefferson, the all time leading rookie receiver on his team and Terrace Marshall. Davonte Smith did well with the 1st rounders around him least year but this year’s production was obviously Buoyed by the fact that Waddle got hurt and Metchie is not very good.

Chase averaged 21 yards per catch, Smith 16. Chase is 2 years younger and has an NFL body.

If you watch that national championship game some of those touchdowns that Smith scored were so poorly defended he was just waltzing in. I realize you can’t knock the production but college Football is soooooooooooo bad that is makes it nearly impossible to judge these guys against each other.

If Smith comes out last year he’d have been a second rounder, Chase would have been the WR1, what has actually changed did Smith become THAT much better in the past year or did his situation just become that much better.

All this said Smith will be a good NFL WR on the Emmanuel Sanders/ Calvin Ridley spectrum but Chase has the higher ceiling IMO.
Both.

Smith improved and he didn't have to compete with 3 really good WRs anymore for targets. Everyone knew where the ball was going and Smith still dominated the best conference in college football. Smith had an all-time great college WR season.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:35 pm

remedy29 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:16 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:04 pm
remedy29 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:51 pm And they will all be negatively impacted by their poor decisions. If Chase wanted to be the 1st WR taken, that is in great danger now. Not saying Chase won't be a first round pick...but he screams of a money driven guy and I'd prefer the football player that wants to compete.
There are a lot of dumb reasons to not like a player, but this is up there. I can’t believe people still believe fairy tale stuff like this.

Chase sitting out and preserving his health instead of playing for free and risking injury was absolutely the right call. Docking him for that is inane, but please, keep doing it. More for me.
So who will be the first WR drafted?

Knocking Chase for choosing to sit out this year to "prepare for the draft" is not insane. He will be knock by the time an NFL team selects the first WR in this year's draft. And rightfully so.

Not saying Chase is not a good player, but everything these kids do is judged. Everything.

I'm strictly viewing this through the lens of who is the top WR in this year's draft. I own the 1.03 in a draft and I'm very interested in who should be ranked first.
I don't think a team is going to knock him for sitting out a season during a pandemic. That doesn't make any sense, since we're talking about a virus that you can give to your family pretty easily.

Chase was in a perfect situation. There was nothing he could've done this year to improve his stock, but he had everything to lose with the pandemic, possible injuries, and playing with a worse QB.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:09 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:35 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:04 pm

There are a lot of dumb reasons to not like a player, but this is up there. I can’t believe people still believe fairy tale stuff like this.

Chase sitting out and preserving his health instead of playing for free and risking injury was absolutely the right call. Docking him for that is inane, but please, keep doing it. More for me.

Knocking Chase for choosing to sit out this year to "prepare for the draft" is not insane. He will be knock by the time an NFL team selects the first WR in this year's draft. And rightfully so.

Not saying Chase is not a good player, but everything these kids do is judged. Everything.

I'm strictly viewing this through the lens of who is the top WR in this year's draft. I own the 1.03 in a draft and I'm very interested in who should be ranked first.

I don't think a team is going to knock him for sitting out a season during a pandemic. That doesn't make any sense, since we're talking about a virus that you can give to your family pretty easily.

Chase was in a perfect situation. There was nothing he could've done this year to improve his stock, but he had everything to lose with the pandemic, possible injuries, and playing with a worse QB.
I don't think a team will knock him publicly, but behind closed doors I bet there are some that will question his commitment to football and teammates. Not saying that they should or shouldn't, but these organizations want guys that only care about ball. Opting out doesn't give off that vibe and there are some old schools folks in any organization that will view it as quitting on your teammates. Anybody that opted out better be in peak physical condition or they're going to get some very loud work ethic concerns.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:33 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:09 pm

I don't think a team will knock him publicly, but behind closed doors I bet there are some that will question his commitment to football and teammates. Not saying that they should or shouldn't, but these organizations want guys that only care about ball. Opting out doesn't give off that vibe and there are some old schools folks in any organization that will view it as quitting on your teammates. Anybody that opted out better be in peak physical condition or they're going to get some very loud work ethic concerns.
If Chase and others who opted out turn up in great shape I don't see many people knocking them for the opt-out. If they come in a bit under done then definitely.
I would love it if Chase can come back with even more speed etc, although he is a top athlete as 90% of college players are, he wasn't exactly a stud athlete if you know what I mean. I'm hoping he has actually used the year off to do some serious training.

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:59 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:33 pm https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisolave_/ ... 0699618310

Ohio State WR Chris Olave announced he is staying for his Senior year.
*three 5-star WR recruits enter transfer portal*

This does not appear like a good decision for his playing career

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:57 am

Once they watch tape and see his "combine" numbers (however that is going to work) they will see a player that can be a difference maker. It will be a non factor he opted out.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:10 pm

remedy29 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:51 pm And they will all be negatively impacted by their poor decisions. If Chase wanted to be the 1st WR taken, that is in great danger now. Not saying Chase won't be a first round pick...but he screams of a money driven guy and I'd prefer the football player that wants to compete.
Good Lord man. These guys get paid NOTHING in college, and they risk everything, injury, and covid, to play for NOTHING. It was clinically insane that they had a season, and even more insane that such a huge proportion of the players agreed to do it, but that's how it works when you have little to no options. Bravo to him for being sane.

I view your take as completely nuts and just, man, ...... there are no words.

And yes, it goes without saying, Chase should go #1, if he drops to a better team because some team goes after Smith instead, more power to him, I hope it's a Rodgers to GB scenario, sometimes falling in a draft is better than getting selected by a garbage organization. Unfortunately, lots of garbage organizations will be looking for WR help, so it won't surprise me if he ends up with one anyway.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:16 pm

No doubt, and those teams are generally speaking, run and lead by morons, better to avoid landing with those teams anyway (and I get that. a handful of elite coaches share such idiotic, dip---- beliefs. You can be an exceptional talent and still be an idiot when it comes to some opinions). I get that passion for the game, and love and commitment is part of the mental make up that generally is a prerequisite for future success in the NFL for most but not all players, but if you're concerned with that, that's what area scouts and due diligence for, the same guys that were sent out to discover that Justin Blackmon had some major issues related to the bottle, can be sent out to find out just how much Chase loved the game. I imagine they'll find out that he loved the game just as much as any other teammate if not more, the absolutely sane decision to skip this season wouldn't be telling, it's how committed he was in '19 that will tell you everything.

Footballisacoolsport
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Who is your "guy" for this upcoming rookie class?

Postby Footballisacoolsport » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:18 pm

thebadferret wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:39 am Answering the subject I am all over Kyle Pitts. I want him so bad and hope I can land him with pick 9 (non TE premium).
You'll probably have to move up. I'm non-TE premium 1QB and will strongly consider him at 1.02.

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:07 pm

Footballisacoolsport wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:18 pm
thebadferret wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:39 am Answering the subject I am all over Kyle Pitts. I want him so bad and hope I can land him with pick 9 (non TE premium).
You'll probably have to move up. I'm non-TE premium 1QB and will strongly consider him at 1.02.
Wow, Bold indeed. As a general rule I stay away from TE's in the first round, I made an exception for Hock a couple years back and ended up with him at 1.10 because I thought he was almost a perfect all around prospect at his position, he could run, catch and block and I didn't love the other players available in that draft. Pitts reaching his offensive potential is largely gonna be based on where he lands, system,qb and usage. I would have a hard time taking him before the 1.05 or 1.06 right now.

Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mike11 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:18 pm

I think it’s going to be fun to see the debate between Najee and Etienne rage on throughout the offseason. I’m not even sure I have Etienne over Javonte Williams right now. His tape really pops. Right now I’m early on thinking

1. Harris
2. Williams
3. Etienne

I think Etienne could slide further if Williams gets the capital many (including myself) think he’s likely to get. The best landing spots in my eyes are Atlanta, Seattle, Pitt, Arizona and Miami. One of these spots probably gets filled by Aaron Jones. I’d love to see Williams in Seattle, Najee in Pitt and Etienne in Arizona but I guess time will tell.

Also hope these pro days give us a good idea of speeds without over inflating their 40s.
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

Dshank87
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Dshank87 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:35 pm

I like Pitts, but I wouldn't consider him until 1.06. I'd go with Harris, Chase, Etienne, Javonte Williams, Devonta Smith before Pitts.