Tua Tagovailoa Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: Tua Tagovailoa

Postby Ice » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:39 am

Tua will probably be a pretty good QB in the NFL. The Watson talk may make many nervous but that is because Watson is fantastic and probably the 2nd most valuable QB overall in the NFL. Miami would be crazy not to offer Tua and both 1sts for Watson. Not sure that would even be enough. Watson just came off an incredible year on a horrid team.

Tua on the other hand just came off a rookie year with obviously a pretty restricted playbook. It is a legitimate concern he couldn't keep Fitz on the bench. He simply may not have learned the scheme very fast.

Herbert and Burrow were/are way further along in their development. That was obvious on game day.
Last edited by Ice on Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:50 am

A real off season will benefit him greatly. As much sense as it makes for Miami to go after Watson, I just dont see it happening. Recent reports from insiders have cooled on the idea as well.

I assume miami will be attempting to surround him with some weapons and protection. I would love to see a downfield threat with some speed to pair with Parker and Williams.

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:39 am

Gailey has never handled young QB's well. Most notable guy he worked with? Kordell Stewart. Remember Christian Hackenberg? Yeah that is Chan Gailey. He was a common concern before the draft for most of us because he really has never worked with anyone not a multi-year vet successfully.

As another Dophins fan I gotta say I highly doubt Miami uses 1.3 on offense. Tua has what coaches believe are good WR weapons. Parker X, Preston Z and Grant(4.38 40 btw) in slot. They Resigned Parker, Preston outright played into the Z spot and Grant has made big money sign vet Wilson sitting out an afterthought. Add in Gesicki, Smythe duo on the oft used 2te sets and the coaches are actually happy there.

*edited a dumb mistake*
Last edited by Yarnith on Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:55 am

Yarnith wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:39 am Providing they don't trade it 1.3 is gonna be James Williams 6-5 218lbs of DB. Someone has to cover the likes of Kelce, Kittle or Waller and that someone is not on the Dolphins roster.
Who? The only Defensive players who are going to be in consideration at 1.03 are LB Micah Parsons, CB Patrick Surtain and maybe DE Gregory Rousseau.

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:05 am

bjd5211 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:55 am
Yarnith wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:39 am Providing they don't trade it 1.3 is gonna be James Williams 6-5 218lbs of DB. Someone has to cover the likes of Kelce, Kittle or Waller and that someone is not on the Dolphins roster.
Who? The only Defensive players who are going to be in consideration at 1.03 are LB Micah Parsons, CB Patrick Surtain and maybe DE Gregory Rousseau.
I was looking at the wrong list, my mistake sorry.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:02 am

The only thing I’m concerned about is arm strength. He looked like he had a critically weak arm. That’s just watching the highlights though. Maybe someone who has watched a lot of the games can chime in here.

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:16 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:02 am The only thing I’m concerned about is arm strength. He looked like he had a critically weak arm. That’s just watching the highlights though. Maybe someone who has watched a lot of the games can chime in here.
He had a weak arm in college before the injury, let alone after.

There’s plenty of data showing him having the weakest velocities of recent high draftees, and apparently he only completed one pass of 50
yards downfield his entire college career - there was plenty of red flags on his arm pre draft.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:53 am

Yarnith wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:39 am As another Dophins fan I gotta say I highly doubt Miami uses 1.3 on offense.
you mean "skill" players? i think sewell to the fins (if they don't trade down) is as good a bet as it gets.

anyway, any concern on some tua's teammates being unimpressed with him?

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:33 am

cantguardjake wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:16 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:02 am The only thing I’m concerned about is arm strength. He looked like he had a critically weak arm. That’s just watching the highlights though. Maybe someone who has watched a lot of the games can chime in here.

There’s plenty of data showing him having the weakest velocities of recent high draftees, and apparently he only completed one pass of 50
yards downfield his entire college career - there was plenty of red flags on his arm pre draft.
Interesting. I feel like that wasn't talked up a lot during the draft process. I know people didn't think he had a cannon, but... don't think people were saying he had a wet noodle either.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:10 am

These arm strength comments made me go watch some Tua plays. I don't see weak or underpowered throws. I can see why some may say that though.

I can see how they're more catchable than some Lamar Jackson throws, who I think lacks any touch. Jackson sometimes throws a 90 mph fastball resulting in an incomplete short pass. I didn't see any real deep shots from Tua either, so maybe there's something to that.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:23 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:33 am

Interesting. I feel like that wasn't talked up a lot during the draft process. I know people didn't think he had a cannon, but... don't think people were saying he had a wet noodle either.
West Coast type offenses helps weaker arm QB's, Tua's arm is average but I expect to see more WC principles in the future. His arm is obviously weak when compared to the great arms like Allen, Herbert, Mahomes when it comes to exit velocity.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

lic217
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lic217 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:20 am

As someone who owns him in two out of three leagues I’m not gonna lie and say that I wasn’t disappointed. His numbers and some other statistics might not look bad but just the way he looked on the field just did not look like a guy destined for success.

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:52 am

Most of the talk was about his Marino like quick release, which was true whilst he had the weakest velocity he had the quickest release of all the recently drafted quarterbacks.

I think the hip injury likely did rob him of some of the mild zip he actually had, he really struggles throwing outside IMO - a genuine wet noodle.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:06 pm

cantguardjake wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:52 am

Most of the talk was about his Marino like quick release, which was true whilst he had the weakest velocity he had the quickest release of all the recently drafted quarterbacks.

I think the hip injury likely did rob him of some of the mild zip he actually had, he really struggles throwing outside IMO - a genuine wet noodle.
Tua's arm is not a wet noodle lmao

Doesn't have a cannon, but his accuracy and ball location were supposed to make up for that. The arm of Drew Brees and the pocket maneuverability of Russell Wilson.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:28 am

I'm a Dolphins fan who owns Tua even though I had little faith in him. I hoped he would show something, but he seemed to get worse as the year went on. His arm looks weak, his mobility is average for a "mobile" QB, and he plays it way too safe. Usually rookie QBs throw a few more interceptions than normal because they trust their arm and instincts too much but don't grasp the speed and schemes of the defenses. In Tua's case, he doesn't seem to be able to keep up with the defenses, but he also doesn't seem to trust his skills enough to even try to beat the defenses. His biggest strength is leadership but that's not worth much if he isn't good enough to stay on the field to lead.

As a Miami fan, I hoped Miami would pass on him and build elsewhere. Now, I'm hoping Miami packages Tua with both 2021 1st rounders to get Watson. Yes, I'm really down on Tua, but I admit that might be due to being a Miami fan and feeling like Tua's going to hold us back just as much as Gase did.

My recommendation is that any team with Tua better have a good viable option at QB or it's going to be a long 2021 season. There's no way I'm going into 2021 planning on Tua being my starting QB. I might if I had Burrow. I definitely would if I had Herbert. I would with about 6 QBs from 2019 and 2018 drafts (combined.) But not with Tua. At this point, I'd rather go into 2021 with Lawrence as my starter than Tua, if I had the choice.

OTOH, I really hope Tua proves me wrong and becomes a great NFL QB.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser