Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:33 am

Dynos wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:44 am my question is why everyone talks about devonta smith BMI and no one is talking about jaylen waddle BMI?
BMI shouldn't be a significant factor in evaluating a WR.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:51 am

Dynos wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:44 am my question is why everyone talks about devonta smith BMI and no one is talking about jaylen waddle BMI?
Probably because Smith's is noticeably lower than Waddle's.

No comment on the usefulness of BMI.

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:13 am

Because Waddle is listed as 3 inches shorter but 7 pounds heavier?

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:14 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:36 am Waddle supposedly passed all his rehab assignments and had full ROM, but the way he looked like a wounded gazelle just flopping around was hard to watch. Was he trying to push his draft stock down?
Surely he earnt some tough guy points, some people love them.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:27 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:33 am
I very much disagree. There is a correlation with higher BMI WRs scoring more points.

But it's not the be-all-end-all metric; and there will always be exceptions that break the mold.

Devonta is an exception, and at this point his career has been so much of an outlier I don't give a bleep about his sleight frame. He was Alabama's most productive receiver while sharing the field with 3 other 1st round picks (Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle). He was the undisputed alpha this year and was so dominant he won the Heisman as a WR. He's shown he can excel no matter what situation he finds himself in at the next level.

What more does he have to prove?

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:34 pm

Sriracha wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:27 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:33 am
I very much disagree. There is a correlation with higher BMI WRs scoring more points.

But it's not the be-all-end-all metric; and there will always be exceptions that break the mold.

Devonta is an exception, and at this point his career has been so much of an outlier I don't give a bleep about his sleight frame. He was Alabama's most productive receiver while sharing the field with 3 other 1st round picks (Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle). He was the undisputed alpha this year and was so dominant he won the Heisman as a WR. He's shown he can excel no matter what situation he finds himself in at the next level.

What more does he have to prove?
Which one of his 3 touchdowns yesterday got you excited about his NFL prospects? They were all schemed layups.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:09 pm

cantguardjake wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:34 pm Which one of his 3 touchdowns yesterday got you excited about his NFL prospects? They were all schemed layups.
Do you think teams don't try to scheme their best weapons into favorable situations? The fact is he was able to convert those advantages into opportunity and that opportunity into production-- repeatedly. Every team Alabama plays knows Devonta is going to get the ball.. and they can't stop him. 12 receptions for 200 yards vs OSU is impressive any way you slice it.

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:19 pm

Dont read to much into this but watch highlights of Davante Adams. You will notice he doesn't hand fight, or muscle for position to make a catch. Closer looks show him running free oft times as you scratch your head wondering how the defense could possibly let him do that. Watching Smith I see a lot of the same things. Yeah they try to scheme him open but Green Bay schemes Adams open too. The thing you don't mention is his football IQ and physical tools that leads him to find ways to be open. I am not saying he IS Adams or that he will be but he just has that ability to find a way to be there for his QB down in and down out. I think he is a gamble no doubt but I'd role the dice on him anyway because the only thing people can say bad about him is his BMI.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:25 pm

Yarnith wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:19 pm I think he is a gamble no doubt but I'd role the dice on him anyway because the only thing people can say bad about him is his BMI.
My 15 year old son is bigger, that is my only concern. Kid has balled, just worry he is the next Hollywood Brown, who is tough to trust. I am am all in on Chase, so doubt I will be presented the decision to draft him, but I would have pause.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

PTW32
Captain
Captain

Postby PTW32 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:40 pm

murphysxm wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:25 pm
Yarnith wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:19 pm I think he is a gamble no doubt but I'd role the dice on him anyway because the only thing people can say bad about him is his BMI.
My 15 year old son is bigger, that is my only concern. Kid has balled, just worry he is the next Hollywood Brown, who is tough to trust. I am am all in on Chase, so doubt I will be presented the decision to draft him, but I would have pause.
Is Hollywood hard to trust because of his BMI or because of his Offense/QB?

I'm also all in on Chase (assuming he shows up to the combine looking like he kept wprkimg out this year) but I still have Smith as a top 3 or 4 pick.
Team 1 10 Team PPR QB, 2RB, 3WR, 2TE, 3Flex

QB: Feilds, Lance, Stafford
RB: Javonte, Charbonnet
WR: Godwin, Boyd, Aiyuk, Mingo, Downs
TE: Kincaid, Kraft, Schoonmaker

Team 2 10 Team PPR QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3Flex
QB: Lamar, Baker
RB: Barkley, Jonathan Taylor, Ekeler, Sanders, Dillon, Pierce
WR: Diggs, Hill, Lockett, Addison
TE: Andrews, Hurst, Logan Thomas

Team 3 12 Team PPR (keep 16)
QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3Flex

QB: Kyler, Feilds
RB: CMC, Javonte, Dobbins, Dillo, Brian Robinson
WR: AJB, Godwin, DJ Moore, Keenan, Lamb, Burks, Toney
TE: Kittle, Hockenson

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:15 pm

murphysxm wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:25 pm
Brown measured in at 5'9" 166 at the combine. I bet Smith ends up being 6'1" 180+. That's a lot closer to Calvin Ridley. People had the same concerns about him pre combine.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:40 pm

cantguardjake wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:34 pm Which one of his 3 touchdowns yesterday got you excited about his NFL prospects? They were all schemed layups.
I know they are "trick" plays but you think those first 2 work without his change of direction and speed? I don't. I hear what you're saying but the gimmicky stuff is part of their offense and he also wins constantly without any of that stuff.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:59 pm

SStory93 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:05 am
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:36 am Waddle supposedly passed all his rehab assignments and had full ROM, but the way he looked like a wounded gazelle just flopping around was hard to watch. Was he trying to push his draft stock down?
From what was said, it wasn't about the draft at all. Waddle wanted to be part of the national championship game one more time before he went to the NFL. Seems like a solid team player.
Even just having him out there further stresses a defense that is forced to cover him. He was playing Decoy as much as anything else.

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:59 pm

Sriracha wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:09 pm
Do you think teams don't try to scheme their best weapons into favorable situations? The fact is he was able to convert those advantages into opportunity and that opportunity into production-- repeatedly. Every team Alabama plays knows Devonta is going to get the ball.. and they can't stop him. 12 receptions for 200 yards vs OSU is impressive any way you slice it.
Of course, but getting schemed open at the college level does nothing to help us project his ability at NFL - which is the whole point.

He looks solid and was obviously dominant at the college level, but his stats were definitely inflated this year.

Give me Chase 10/10 times.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:05 pm

cantguardjake wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:59 pm
Sriracha wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:09 pm
Of course, but getting schemed open at the college level does nothing to help us project his ability at NFL - which is the whole point.

He looks solid and was obviously dominant at the college level, but his stats were definitely inflated this year.

Give me Chase 10/10 times.
I don't get this stance. Why are we talking about Smith like he was Tavon Austin at West Virginia? There are a ton of games from this season where he is getting open at will against defenders.

He's by no means a perfect prospect, but I'm not sure what more he really could've done this season. He had an all-time elite season for a college WR and did it in the toughest conference. His stats are only inflated in the sense that Waddle was out all season and Smith saw a bump in production without him in the lineup. The first Bama season in a while where a WR didn't have to compete with anyone for targets.