Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:23 am

Sriracha wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:04 pmThe average fanbase considers Reagor a bust; largely because they're impatient, don't take into account overall offensive issues, and are comparing him to Justin Jefferson who set the world on fire just because the media mocked Jefferson to the Eagles all off-season. (Last I checked, 3 other teams passed on Jefferson and the 49ers were deciding between Lamb/Aiyuk... not Lamb/Jefferson).. so WR is deemed a "team need".
So, the joking response here is that teams are allowed to play more than 1 WR in an offensive snap. A more serious comment is that, even if the front office concludes that Raegor will become a productive player (perhaps as soon as this year), the issues at WR/TE suggest they need more weapons-
Jeffrey- cap casualty?
Ertz/DJax- gone?

This potentially leaves Reagor, Goedert, Greg Ward and JJAW at the top of the depth chart. In the early part of last season, many pinned Wentz's problems on the lack of quality weapons. That group would be a downgrade from last year, lol.

Regarding the FA class, not certain Philly will be able to be active, given they're cap issues being among the worst of the league. They may not be able to sign the top tier guys like ARob, and may have to settle for low level gambles like what Las Vegas did last year in signing Agholor. Isn't that ironic.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:49 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:23 am
Sriracha wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:04 pmThe average fanbase considers Reagor a bust; largely because they're impatient, don't take into account overall offensive issues, and are comparing him to Justin Jefferson who set the world on fire just because the media mocked Jefferson to the Eagles all off-season. (Last I checked, 3 other teams passed on Jefferson and the 49ers were deciding between Lamb/Aiyuk... not Lamb/Jefferson).. so WR is deemed a "team need".
So, the joking response here is that teams are allowed to play more than 1 WR in an offensive snap. A more serious comment is that, even if the front office concludes that Raegor will become a productive player (perhaps as soon as this year), the issues at WR/TE suggest they need more weapons-
Jeffrey- cap casualty?
Ertz/DJax- gone?

This potentially leaves Reagor, Goedert, Greg Ward and JJAW at the top of the depth chart. In the early part of last season, many pinned Wentz's problems on the lack of quality weapons. That group would be a downgrade from last year, lol.

Regarding the FA class, not certain Philly will be able to be active, given they're cap issues being among the worst of the league. They may not be able to sign the top tier guys like ARob, and may have to settle for low level gambles like what Las Vegas did last year in signing Agholor. Isn't that ironic.
tbf, they pinned all of Wentz's problems on whatever they could :lol:

They drafted Quez Watkins, John Hightower (probably about as useful as JJAW), and Fulgham popped a bit. Hurts didn't have any issues moving the ball with the same O-line and WR's they were throwing under the bus until he tweaked his hamstring in the 2nd half vs DAL.

Chase could help literally any team in the NFL. He's a great talent... but the Offense should see a jump next year with their O-line returning to health and either a year of development for Hurts, a rejuvenated Wentz, or a flashy new rookie QB. Where this team would see the most results is either an elite QB (risky) or help in the secondary/linebacking unit that has been a liability for two years now. While Slay helped a lot this season.. he is 30 years old and they'd be smart to draft his replacement, or a backfield mate to help him out.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:25 am

Sriracha wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:33 pm If they really, really want WR help right now they should pick one up in FA while they let their receivers develop
That's going to be tough seeing as they are sitting at -$74 Million in cap space. Eagles are going to have their hands full just getting down to the cap number, they won't be in position to land any WR of note and aren't an attractive enough destination to get a vet like say AJ Green at a discount. They won't be adding a WR who is good enough to be any kind of difference maker through Free Agency, so if that's what they want the draft will be their only real avenue to do so.

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:18 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:23 am
Jeffrey- cap casualty?
Ertz/DJax- gone?

ironic... or indicative of the problem in Philly? Maybe not the "weapons" at all, seeing as how Agholor thrived with Carr and the Raiders, which I don't think anyone would have considered an upgrade for Agholor prior to last year.

Not saying that it is the case, but did make me think
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:07 am

Sriracha wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:33 pm I see a much bigger issue at LB, DB and think their offense will likely take a step forward once they get their O-line healthy.

If they really, really want WR help right now they should pick one up in FA while they let their receivers develop
The Eagles aren’t taking a LB at 6 overall. They haven’t drafted a first round LB since 1979, and have consistently shown us that they don’t believe in investing highly at the position. I could see OL if Sewell falls, or QB depending what they do with Wentz, but otherwise WR seems somewhat likely. There’a no high end DB in this class worth the 6th pick either, so despite that being a huge need, I also don’t expect them to go that route.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 am

Yarnith wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:07 pm I doubt the Dolphins stay at 2. Think Flores, growing up in the Pats organization, is gonna move it and pile more picks. Been working for them so far no need to stop now.
I don't disagree in general, but that would mean passing on Penei Sewell and that is not a minor thing. I see them locking in the protector of Tua and being estatic.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:43 am

murphysxm wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 am
Yarnith wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:07 pm I doubt the Dolphins stay at 2. Think Flores, growing up in the Pats organization, is gonna move it and pile more picks. Been working for them so far no need to stop now.
I don't disagree in general, but that would mean passing on Penei Sewell and that is not a minor thing. I see them locking in the protector of Tua and being estatic.
depends on what the offer is, if there's a clear cut #3 QB by draft time with all the needy teams they could set up a nice auction (i just want sewell to go to the bengals for the sake of my higgins shares, really...)

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:46 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:43 am
murphysxm wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 am
depends on what the offer is, if there's a clear cut #3 QB by draft time with all the needy teams they could set up a nice auction (i just want sewell to go to the bengals for the sake of my higgins shares, really...)
I want him there so Burrow can potentially survive a season.......
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:58 am

AussieMate wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:25 pm
Sriracha wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:55 pm
AussieMate wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:45 pm

Remind me to check your QB rankings come July hahaha, one guy I'm looking more into is Chris Simms, seems to have been a controversial rankings in the past but his rankings look better and better as the players careers flesh out.

FYI I have been a big Wilson fan for over 1 1/2 years now, I also really enjoyed someone say he looked like a mix of Johnny Manziel and Patty Mahomes which just tickled the hell out of me, I don't even know how that would work as a comp but it was funny anyway.
He's got a different take on players, but I'd hesitate to say he's that much better than anyone else.

Still good to look at for a different perspective. When people were calling JJ a slot receiver he was quick to point out that he played primarily outside the year before for instance. When people were bemoaning DK's 3 cone, he said it won't matter given his elite downfield traits.

He missed big on Michael Thomas, AJB, though
Sorry I was mainly interested in his QB rankings over the last 4yrs, I haven't really looked into his other rankings, I generally don't follow one persons entire rankings as some people just get certain positions and not others. I've mostly enjoyed going back over Simms QB rankings because he doesn't just throw out his top 10, he goes through what he likes and what he doesn't and he doesn't seem swayed by other rankers which is refreshing.
I'll have to look through his other position rankings to gauge whether he is worth keeping a tab on come drafting time. How does he fair with RB's and WR's?
I appreciate this, but I don’t do rankings, generally. Basically I’m not deluded enough to think that the specific order that I put players in is correct or useful for anybody. I think it’s more useful to talk about the process we use to evaluate guys, and why the reasons we drop/elevate players might be bad- like dropping DK and Dalvin for their 3 cone drills when we know that it doesn’t correlate with NFL success, or elevating somebody like Pittman for unclear reasons when his profile wasn’t demonstrably better than Higgins/Shenault/Aiyuk.

I definitely missed on MT. I’d miss on him again too, although maybe not as hard as I did 4 years ago. Successful NFL receivers generally just don’t have a path like his. Was I way off on AJB? I have multiple copies of him- he’s one of my highest owned WRs. I liked him quite a bit. Did I post something indicating otherwise? I genuinely do not recall but it’s 100% possible. I liked N’Keal Harry though, even if I was scared by the NE offense and WR development curve. So there’s another miss. Whoops.

Anyway, the point of thinking about things analytically is recognizing that nobody is a sure thing, and all of these players potential outcomes are just probabilities. We’re all going to miss, repeatedly. We should just give ourselves the best chance to succeed by aiming for higher probability players and trading back when there’s not clear evidence that one player is the guy to take.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:10 am

Ruggenater wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:07 am
Sriracha wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:33 pm I see a much bigger issue at LB, DB and think their offense will likely take a step forward once they get their O-line healthy.

If they really, really want WR help right now they should pick one up in FA while they let their receivers develop
The Eagles aren’t taking a LB at 6 overall. They haven’t drafted a first round LB since 1979, and have consistently shown us that they don’t believe in investing highly at the position. I could see OL if Sewell falls, or QB depending what they do with Wentz, but otherwise WR seems somewhat likely. There’a no high end DB in this class worth the 6th pick either, so despite that being a huge need, I also don’t expect them to go that route.
They drafted Marcus Smith in 2014.

You don't like Caleb Farley and Micah Parsons?

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:14 am

Sriracha wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:10 am

Marcus Smith was a DE. And it doesn’t matter if I like them—Philly has proven year after year they don’t believe in spending high capital on LBs.
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:30 am

Ruggenater wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:14 am

Marcus Smith was a DE. And it doesn’t matter if I like them—Philly has proven year after year they don’t believe in spending high capital on LBs.
Ok, fair enough. But Caleb Farley is a CB projected to go that high in multiple mock drafts.

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:09 pm

Sriracha wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:30 am

Ok, fair enough. But Caleb Farley is a CB projected to go that high in multiple mock drafts.
Surtain will likely be a top 10 pick too

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:27 pm

Apologies, I glossed over the Farley mention completely. I don’t think Farley, Surtain, or any other DB prospect this year is worth the #6 pick. You want a can’t-miss player at that spot (or a QB), and I don’t think this draft has one at that position.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:36 pm

Ruggenater wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:27 pm

Apologies, I glossed over the Farley mention completely. I don’t think Farley, Surtain, or any other DB prospect this year is worth the #6 pick. You want a can’t-miss player at that spot (or a QB), and I don’t think this draft has one at that position.
The only "can't miss" players in the draft this year are Lawrence and Penei Sewell (neither of whom will be available at #6), with Micah Parsons and maybe Ja'marr Chase being close. Farley and Surtain play a top 5 most important position, and are among the top 15 prospects in this class, they will both be worthy of consideration at #6.