Are you Buying/Selling Sam Darnold - Traded to Carolina

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Sam Darnold going forward

Postby jman3134 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:37 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:35 pm
jman3134 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:33 pm Yes, but what would a game changing O line weapon do for the run game and or whichever qb is there? I would go o-line.
Joe Thomas made a huge difference for the Browns and all those playoff runs they made with him.
Gap between Fields and Darnold isn't as big as the gap in their abhorrent line and what they could get this year. Wait a year and there are three more Fields level players there. The Browns could never draft a qb to save their lives.

I am also not a Fields truther fwiw. I'd go Wilson anyway.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:40 pm

Fields is proving he's clearly better than Wilson right now, and there are definitely not "3 more Fields level players" a year from now.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:41 pm

I get the thought that a QB drafted to NYJ is probably doomed. At minimum, they will have to fight to produce. And the Jets building the team before throwing a QB into the fire would be better for said QB. But that isn't going to happen for a lot of reasons. I can get behind them trading down if they get a haul because they need so much. They could get a few 1sts for #2 and pick a QB a little later in the first... But why not just go for the best QB available at 2?

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:05 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:41 pm I get the thought that a QB drafted to NYJ is probably doomed. At minimum, they will have to fight to produce. And the Jets building the team before throwing a QB into the fire would be better for said QB. But that isn't going to happen for a lot of reasons. I can get behind them trading down if they get a haul because they need so much. They could get a few 1sts for #2 and pick a QB a little later in the first... But why not just go for the best QB available at 2?
A good point about a very reasonable third option in trading what is likely going to be a highly valuable 2nd overall pick for a package of many more to fill a lot of holes. Douglas honestly did a good job this past year with drafting and also maximizing return on the Adams deal, so maybe the Jets could pull this off.
Dynasty Team 1:

10 Man, Full PPR, .2 PPC, Double Flex

QB: Kyler Murray
RB: Saquon Barkley , Breece Hall, Swift, Dobbins, Gibson, CEH
WR: Devante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Jamarr Chase, DK Metcalf, Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy
TE: Travis Kelce

2023 Picks: 1.4, 1.8, 2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 3.8

Dynasty Team 2:

10 Man, Half PPR, Double Flex

QB: Tua
RB: Barkley , Mixon, Javonte, Jacobs, CEH
WR: AJB, Tyreek, Lamb, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Kittle

2022 Picks: 1.5, 1.6, 2.3
2023 Picks: 2 x 1st, 2 x 2nd

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:20 pm

Kmani6 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:05 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:41 pm I get the thought that a QB drafted to NYJ is probably doomed. At minimum, they will have to fight to produce. And the Jets building the team before throwing a QB into the fire would be better for said QB. But that isn't going to happen for a lot of reasons. I can get behind them trading down if they get a haul because they need so much. They could get a few 1sts for #2 and pick a QB a little later in the first... But why not just go for the best QB available at 2?
A good point about a very reasonable third option in trading what is likely going to be a highly valuable 2nd overall pick for a package of many more to fill a lot of holes. Douglas honestly did a good job this past year with drafting and also maximizing return on the Adams deal, so maybe the Jets could pull this off.
I do believe history usually plays out well for the teams that get a haul for trading down from top spots. The Goff trade is what I tend to think of. TEN got 1.08, 2 2nds and a 3rd that year and then 1.05 and another 3rd. They went OL, Henry has turned into a stud 3rd round selection and Davis wasn't the best pick at 1.05 but still pretty good. Oh and Jonnu Smith.

Now if Goff would've turned into Peyton Manning or something then this is a different conversation.

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:33 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:09 pm
Kmani6 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:28 am
TB3falcons wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:08 am I firmly expect the Jets to take a QB. Also believe Darnold will go to a new team with an open QB competition and be similar, but not nearly as good, as Tannehill. I think people are somehow underestimating Gase’s impact on the Jets.
Or underestimating him having had to deal with both a bottom 3 line and receiving weapons. There are only a handful of NFL QBs that could make something of his situation. Coaching and having the proper supporting cast go a long way in developing young QBs, and Darnold has received neither of these things. I can't imagine someone like Josh Allen would be the player he is today or develop nearly as much as he has over the last few years if he was drafted into the Jets situation. This is in no way my support of Darnold as a future franchise QB, but more an honest assessment of his situation. It will be really interesting to see him either run it back with the Jets or compete for a job on another team with more weapons (maybe the Broncos?).
You're right, but the question you have to ask is who's a better QB long-term with improved coaching, a better line (maybe?), and more weapons:

Justin Fields or Sam Darnold?

I'm taking Fields, who will also be on a five-year rookie contract.
If it’s a completely even field then drafting a QB is definitely the move, but the comparison that you’re referring to would really be Justin fields or Darnold + Sewell, with the option of addressing the position in future drafts. So, it really just depends on how high the Jets are on either Fields or Wilson, and if either of them are their guy then they should go ahead and address the need.

That being said, there’s no need for the Jets to rush this rebuild. The jets are a poorly run organization and trusting them to develop a rookie QB with a bottom 3 line and weapons is likely not going to work out well (as we’ve just seen).

Ideally, if the Jets do draft a new QB they will need to address both the line and weapons immediately. They could target Scherff if he becomes available or Thuney, and throw money at either JuJu or Arob at the receiver position, while addressing the RB position in the draft.
Dynasty Team 1:

WR: Devante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Jamarr Chase, DK Metcalf, Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy

Dynasty Team 2:

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:52 pm

I'll easily take Fields + Cosmi or one of the other "non- Sewell" OTs over Darnold + Sewell. Yes Sewell is the clear OT1 and best we've seen in several years, but this OT class is very good beyond Sewell, and the Jets already have one really good OT and one serviceable one, it's their interior OL that is really awful.

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:19 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:52 pm I'll easily take Fields + Cosmi or one of the other "non- Sewell" OTs over Darnold + Sewell. Yes Sewell is the clear OT1 and best we've seen in several years, but this OT class is very good beyond Sewell, and the Jets already have one really good OT and one serviceable one, it's their interior OL that is really awful.
You’re spot on with your assessment of the Jets line. They probably address the interior OL through FA. If they think either Fields or Wilson are their guy, they will have to take him. In a perfect world, they find their franchise QB in this draft and bring in the right coaching staff to properly develop/build around him, while addressing immediate needs in free agency.

Going down this route, however, there’s pretty much zero chance the Jets are getting Cosmi with their late 1st round pick, as he’s likely going to be picked much higher. They might end up with the 4th or 5th best tackle with that late pick.

I’ll also add, the comparison wouldn’t just be fields/Wilson + non-Sewell OT vs + Sewell, but instead fields/Wilson + non-Sewell OT vs Darnold + Sewell + late 1st round defensive player (arbitrary based on current mock drafts/team needs).
Dynasty Team 1:

Dynasty Team 2:

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:32 pm

Cosmi was just a name for the example, but there are 3 or 4 other guys they could take late 1st-early 2nd, this is a pretty deep OT class beyond just Sewell (and Cosmi).

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:48 pm

Sure, you did mention non-Sewell prospects, so I figured you had meant that.

What’s really interesting is there are three likely scenarios with the extremes looking like- 1. targeting a very specific need with high risk involved (QB), or 2. trading down and targeting a very broad range of needs with a wide variety of picks that are not likely “sure” thing prospects. The middle ground is a balance in addressing a few important needs and is also likely the safest in 3. taking Sewell and drafting a late 1st round defensive player.

The argument can be made that the jets rebuilt nicely last year in terms of acquiring talent through the draft + the Adams deal, and so rebuilding slowly by stacking good classes would make sense (options 2 or 3).

The case can also be made that the jets organization is so bad they really need to hit on a franchise QB to build around and they shouldn’t pass up an opportunity to do that (option 1).

This is certainly more appealing, and would be manageable with a new offensive minded coach, but with terrible weapons and line, and a bad coaching staff there’s going to be little to no development for a rookie QB. Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson would both not have developed nearly as much as they have if they landed on the Jets in 2018. Also, messing this QB pick would again set the franchise back 3-5 years.
Dynasty Team 1:

Dynasty Team 2:

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:54 pm

Ya, the most important decision the Jets have to make is the HC, screw that up and it might not matter what they do with Darnold and the pick. I don't think there is reason to fret too much about their roster though, they have the cap space and draft capital to address their needs and talent pool, and have some pieces already in place. Personally I think taking Justin Fields is the obvious move, and what they ultimately end up doing.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:07 pm

Receiving core is actually good imo. Depth stinks though.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:10 pm

jman3134 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:07 pm Receiving core is actually good imo. Depth stinks though.
That could quickly be fixed with one free agent signing and one draft pick, and both the FA and Draft pools are strong at WR this year.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:40 am

jman3134 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:07 pm Receiving core is actually good imo. Depth stinks though.
Crowder, perriman, mims, berrios, and johnson? Has to be bottom 5 in the league. Crowder is good and Perriman is serviceable. Neither stay healthy. Mims could be their alpha, but I'm not sure yet. He also can't stay healthy.

Some of it just the brutal offensive scheme, but they badly need at least one capable WR.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:49 am

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:54 pm Ya, the most important decision the Jets have to make is the HC, screw that up and it might not matter what they do with Darnold and the pick. I don't think there is reason to fret too much about their roster though, they have the cap space and draft capital to address their needs and talent pool, and have some pieces already in place. Personally I think taking Justin Fields is the obvious move, and what they ultimately end up doing.
I agree. Jets have the cap space and draft capital to make serious improvement, as long as they dont Jets it up