Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
CGW
Legend
Legend

Re: Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

Postby CGW » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:27 am

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:40 am This was probably said upthread, but I wouldn't hate the jets drafting Penei and giving Darnold a Gase-free try if they have 2.
I do think Fields is a good prospect, I just think going to THIS jets team might not give him a chance to develop.
It's a definite possibility they retain darnold. Either way, this jets team will be significantly different 6 months from now. This is going to be a total revamp over the next 2 seasons as they have 18 draft picks already and likely more to come. Not many from THIS team will be left. Hard to know if they will be successful with it or not. Cant be any worse?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:35 am

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:40 am This was probably said upthread, but I wouldn't hate the jets drafting Penei and giving Darnold a Gase-free try if they have 2.
I do think Fields is a good prospect, I just think going to THIS jets team might not give him a chance to develop.
If I was a Jets fan, I'd hate this. Fields is a potentially elite dual threat QB if he meets his ceiling. Sewell is really good, but you can find good OL prospects in any draft.

They should absolutely Josh Rosen Sam Darnold. Sure, Darnold can play better without Gase, but is he an elite QB talent?

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:39 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:35 am
If I was a Jets fan, I'd hate this. Fields is a potentially elite dual threat QB if he meets his ceiling. Sewell is really good, but you can find good OL prospects in any draft.

They should absolutely Josh Rosen Sam Darnold. Sure, Darnold can play better without Gase, but is he an elite QB talent?
100% this. you have to shoot for elite any time you can at the QB position. You can't just get by with mediocre. You can get by with solid, but not elite O-linemen. QB is where the NFL is won.

-THE DUDE-
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby -THE DUDE- » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:15 am

I just don’t see it with Fields. That guy can’t dominate one of the worst conferences in football this year with superior talent all around him. It’s appalling how bad the big is this year and he looked pedestrian at best. Let’s see what he does against Clemson...
QB: A. Rodgers, Herbert, Purdy, Levis
RB: ETN, Bijan, Gibbs, Mostert, Dobbins, R. White
WR: AJB, Diggs, ARSB, G. Wilson, Kirk, E. Moore, Mingo, Wicks
TE: Fant, Njoku, Chiggy, I. Smith, Musgrave

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:55 am

-THE DUDE- wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:15 am I just don’t see it with Fields. That guy can’t dominate one of the worst conferences in football this year with superior talent all around him. It’s appalling how bad the big is this year and he looked pedestrian at best. Let’s see what he does against Clemson...
Hard to gauge anything this year. All conferences are looking weak in some way. SEC has the most good teams, but that's relative due to minimal non-conference games this year. Lawrence has only gone against ND, and who knows really how good they are. BIG 12 and PAC 12 are about as weak as they have ever been. And they haven't been strong conferences for a long while.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:46 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:34 am
ThunderTung wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:33 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:42 pm Jags and Jets are getting the top 2 picks in some order, whoever gets #1 is taking Lawrence and #2 is taking Fields, and they will both be happy with the guy they get in the long-run.
Wouldn't shock me if Wilson ends up vaulting over fields at 2
That would be a typical Jets move, and mistake.
Fields has only himself to blame if that happens

He is far closer to Wilson and Lance than he is to Lawrence and has made sure to show it any time he plays a team with a pulse (no 2020 Penn State does not have a pulse)

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:07 pm

I saw red flags from Fields since I watched QB1 on Netflix , he came across soft, often pulling himself from games to prevent potential injuries and telling his coach how he should do things etc. The transfer instead of battling competition at Georgia was another red flag for me, add into the mix the fact he has looked horrible anytime he faces a top team and i'm pretty much out on him unless I can't pass up the value.

mls
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mls » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:29 pm

Fields was fine against Clemson last year. Ohio State pretty much dominated that game in every way except the one that matters, the score.

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:33 pm

His running was a non factor and he totalled 1 TD and 2 int's . He has a history of underperforming in big games. Against the 2 ranked teams he played this year 2tds and 5 int's . It's something to keep and eye on .

broncohead
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby broncohead » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:42 pm

KingsKing wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:07 pm I saw red flags from Fields since I watched QB1 on Netflix , he came across soft, often pulling himself from games to prevent potential injuries and telling his coach how he should do things etc. The transfer instead of battling competition at Georgia was another red flag for me, add into the mix the fact he has looked horrible anytime he faces a top team and i'm pretty much out on him unless I can't pass up the value.
I didn’t mind him on QB1. “Reality” shows aren’t reality imo. They feed lines to make a show and dont always show the actual reality of the situations. If I remember correctly Fields had a teammate tear his knee while they were ahead and could have been sitting the starters which would have avoided that injury. Sitting the starters could have been part of the coaches plans after that injury. For show purposes, only showed Fields asking to sit starters whiteout the context.

I’m also not worried about the transfer. Fromm went in round 5 while Fields will be a top draft pick and likely day 1 starter. I think it’s safe to speculate whether Fields was actually the better QB at the time. His transfer was also related to racist slurs so I don’t believe it had anything to do with not wanting competition.
48 team, 4 copy league, QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, SF, 4 flex
QB - Wentz, Tannehill, Mayfield, Jones, Alex Smith
RB - Chubb, Hunt, Swift, Akers, Henderson, Mostert, Mack, Bowden, Hill
WR - AJ Brown, DJ Moore, Gabriel Davis, Slayton, Hamler, Isabella
TE - Fant, Burton, Firkser, Keene, Okuegbunam
2021 Draft - 1.09, 3rd

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:45 pm

Kyle Trask melting down in the Cotton Bowl vs OU right now. No Kyle Pitts or Kadarius Toney and he's throw 3 INT's in the first 11 minutes, 2 are pick sixes and the third was in the endzone, he threw 5 picks all year. Looking like the weapons elevated him all year, rather than him elevating those around him. Not good for his draft stock.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:59 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:45 pm Kyle Trask melting down in the Cotton Bowl vs OU right now. No Kyle Pitts or Kadarius Toney and he's throw 3 INT's in the first 11 minutes, 2 are pick sixes and the third was in the endzone, he threw 5 picks all year. Looking like the weapons elevated him all year, rather than him elevating those around him. Not good for his draft stock.
tbf He's missing all 4 of his top receivers (not just Pitts and Toney), and it's not like they're shutting him down. He's just turning the ball over. It'll be interesting to see if he can recover.

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:10 pm

KingsKing wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:07 pm I saw red flags from Fields since I watched QB1 on Netflix , he came across soft, often pulling himself from games to prevent potential injuries and telling his coach how he should do things etc. The transfer instead of battling competition at Georgia was another red flag for me, add into the mix the fact he has looked horrible anytime he faces a top team and i'm pretty much out on him unless I can't pass up the value.
There is nothing “soft” about elite high school and college players pulling themselves to avoid injury lol the aim is to make the NFL, a lot of them end up with nothing if that goal isn’t achieved - it’s smart.

Don’t really have an opinion on Fields yet but what was your take on Burrows transfer? Assuming you knocked him because of it as well.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:57 pm

cantguardjake wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:10 pm
There is nothing “soft” about elite high school and college players pulling themselves to avoid injury lol the aim is to make the NFL, a lot of them end up with nothing if that goal isn’t achieved - it’s smart.

Don’t really have an opinion on Fields yet but what was your take on Burrows transfer? Assuming you knocked him because of it as well.
Burrow transfer, very well could and should have been viewed as a red flag. Burrow 841 first place Heisman votes was a huge positive. Hurts 12 votes to Fields 6 votes is not helping Fields. Fields poor play vs NW and Indiana cause further red flags. These are not college power houses that Fields should struggle against.
Fields is a nice QB prospect, he is not an elite one.

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:04 pm

cantguardjake wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:10 pm

Burrow Burned 3 years of his college eligibility in Ohio waiting to play he was running out of time, his transfer year was going to be a shortened year for him also learning a new system, teammates, coaches etc. He waiting 3 years and was a good teammate, never made a peep .He had pro aspirations and needed to make a move to get some game tape. Fields walked into Georgia expecting to start as a freshman and complained his bleep off that he didn't, he was caught on video after games complaining about his role, acted like a baby and transferred out after 1 season instead of battling and taking the starting spot.

With regard to the QB1, he did come off soft to me. I understand or top prospects like Fields in about money but as a senior in High school you are still 5 years away from the NFL at minimum, it's hardly the time to be concerned about the less than a fraction of a % chance that you might get injured in a game, this is football after all and anytime you take the field an injury can happen. It happened on a few occasions, anytime a teammate was injured it seemed it rattled him and he pulled himself, not wanting to fight and battle at Georgia, decommiting from Penn State and the lack of showing up in big games are all red flags for me. I could very well be wrong and maybe he turns out to be the best QB in the class but for me I have him ranked 3rd behind Lawrence and Wilson and Mac Jones is gaining on him too.