Zigging and Zagging

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Hahaclintondix
Starter
Starter

Zigging and Zagging

Postby Hahaclintondix » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:47 am

Our 12 team league is going into year 6 next season. We have the most parity we’ve ever had in terms of spreading out talent. It’s a fairly high buy-in league ($200+) and everyone has been all about it from day 1. Our 11-2 #1 seed didn’t even win.

There are 6 teams that will be very competitive next year (I’m one, but lost in first round of playoffs). It’s to the point that if I offered you team 6, or this year’s champ for the 2021 season, it would be a heated debate.

There are 3 teams that are in purgatory, 2 that hit the rebuild button and one that is completely screwed for years.

My general questions are: when there is so much competition in a league and the best team might not win because so many teams are really close, would you rather reset and come back when those teams start to phase themselves out? If you’re in the top 6 do you just go for it? When do you decide if going for it is worth it? One offseason might be too late.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Re: Zigging and Zagging

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:41 am

If you're a playoff team, keep at it. League parity is good for you - a lot of trade opportunities. Only tear down & rebuild if you're getting old and can't keep your team in the playoffs. Don't worry about the best team not winning. That happens very often in my experience.

Fantasy football is luck management.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:06 am

I see a lot of posts where people say “tear it all down” or “I’d blow that team up”, far far too often imo. Obviously there’s a ton of variance across leagues, there’s millions and millions of them, but he’s my experience:

That kind of league parity is common. Sig league? I had most points for, barely made playoffs as the 8th seed. Lost the finals to the 7th seed. There were Probly 4-5 teams I’d have thought were stronger. It happens all the time. I’d say odds are, the “best” team should be thrilled to have a 20% chance to win the league from the start.

Also, I think it’s better for the leagues overall health, if less teams are tearing down. If only a couple are rebuilding, they have an easier time. If more teams are competing, aging but still productive vets retain more value. Rebuilders have better leverage and can get back in there quickly.

Now, all the above is in general terms, because that’s what this forum is more aimed for. I think it merits discussion too. But, if I were you OP, I’d also post up my roster and settings on the team advice forum, maybe specific advice is different.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

PTW32
Captain
Captain

Postby PTW32 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:16 pm

Every league is different and one of the main factors to me are payouts.

If 1st, 2nd and 3rd pay and I think im going to be in a 6 team playoff field I'll take my chances and try to win now.

If its winner take all I might handle it differently.

But its tough, I seem to have more fun rebuilding.
Team 1 10 Team PPR QB, 2RB, 3WR, 2TE, 3Flex

QB: Feilds, Lance, Stafford
RB: Javonte, Charbonnet
WR: Godwin, Boyd, Aiyuk, Mingo, Downs
TE: Kincaid, Kraft, Schoonmaker

Team 2 10 Team PPR QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3Flex
QB: Lamar, Baker
RB: Barkley, Jonathan Taylor, Ekeler, Sanders, Dillon, Pierce
WR: Diggs, Hill, Lockett, Addison
TE: Andrews, Hurst, Logan Thomas

Team 3 12 Team PPR (keep 16)
QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3Flex

QB: Kyler, Feilds
RB: CMC, Javonte, Dobbins, Dillo, Brian Robinson
WR: AJB, Godwin, DJ Moore, Keenan, Lamb, Burks, Toney
TE: Kittle, Hockenson

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:02 pm

If your teams a playoff team then its a championship potential team no need to tear down anything.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu