Why isn't AJ Dillon going higher in rookie drafts?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Vick2Crumpler87
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Why isn't AJ Dillon going higher in rookie drafts?

Postby Vick2Crumpler87 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:16 pm

As someone who drafted him everywhere in the off season, I'm very happy, but also very pleased to be right on his talent. So many league mates allowed me to draft AJ so late in drafts by passing him up time and time again, so thanks y'all :D

I also took him late 1st in places so feeling great about those calls.
12 Team SF PPR - 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE-1SFLEX-1K-1DB-1DL-1LB (TE 1.5 ppr)
2018 Runner up, 2019 champion 2020 champion

QB - Matty Ice, K. Cousins, G. Minshew, J. Love
RB - D. Cook, J. Mixon, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, J. Robinson, AJ Dillon, D. Freeman, Shady, R. Penny, J. White
WR - Julio, Nuk, JuJu, C. Ridley, Tyrell, KJ Hamler, K. Cole, J. Meyers, C. Johnson, V. Jefferson
TE - Z Ertz, T. Higbee, B. Jarwin, L. Thomas
K - T. Bass
DB - J. Chinn
DL - Chandler Jones, H. Reddick
LB - D. Leonard

10 Team PPR - 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE-2RB/WR/TE-1K-1DST
2018 Runner up, 2019 3rd place, 2020 Runner up

QB - Matty Ice, Big Ben, Jalen Hurts, Jordan Love
RB - D. Cook, J. Mixon, J. Taylor, M. Gordon, AJ Dillon, D. Freeman, Shady, R. Penny, J. Williams
WR - Julio, Nuk, C. Ridley, AJ Brown, A. Cooper, JuJu, TY Hilton, N. Harry, KJ Hamler, S. Miller, D. Peoples-Jones, V. Jefferson
TE - D. Waller, Z. Ertz, B. Jarwin
K - R. Blankenship
DST - Bucs

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:42 pm

Vick2Crumpler87 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:16 pm As someone who drafted him everywhere in the off season, I'm very happy, but also very pleased to be right on his talent. So many league mates allowed me to draft AJ so late in drafts by passing him up time and time again, so thanks y'all :D

I also took him late 1st in places so feeling great about those calls.
I think generally the talent vs situation is the most true when you take a guy like AJ over Vaughn.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:53 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:00 pm After watching Dillon's cut-up from last night I think GB would be smart to let Jones walk, or do some FT/sign then trade agreement with another team, resign Williams (who has looked solid this year in his limited role) roll with Williams and Dillon, use the cap space saved and possible pieces acquired to help get Rodgers some more weapons/a better defense. Lots of good WRs in FA this year. And the lord knows that Rodgers could be other worldly with some better receiving options.

Obviously I am biased as an owner, and it's only one game, but to rip off 6 & 7 yard runs at will was a great thing to see from him.
I agree, but it still seems probable that Jones returns. He's really good now and they can afford to keep him for a few years. If anything, Williams walks and Dillon at least gets the secondary role.

jimmychoi
Starter
Starter

Postby jimmychoi » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:09 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:53 pm
nathanq42 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:00 pm After watching Dillon's cut-up from last night I think GB would be smart to let Jones walk, or do some FT/sign then trade agreement with another team, resign Williams (who has looked solid this year in his limited role) roll with Williams and Dillon, use the cap space saved and possible pieces acquired to help get Rodgers some more weapons/a better defense. Lots of good WRs in FA this year. And the lord knows that Rodgers could be other worldly with some better receiving options.

Obviously I am biased as an owner, and it's only one game, but to rip off 6 & 7 yard runs at will was a great thing to see from him.
I agree, but it still seems probable that Jones returns. He's really good now and they can afford to keep him for a few years. If anything, Williams walks and Dillon at least gets the secondary role.
I just wonder if Green Bay is willing to sign Jones to the money he will want. He has Rosenhaus as an agent, and I can’t imagine he’d want to play on a team friendly deal. Isn’t greenbay projected to be tight with the decreasing cap numbers as well?

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:22 pm

Last night didn't change much. It was business as usual with Lafleurs rotating running backs by series. And with Williams out, and Jones sidelined in the first half he forfeited some of his to Dillon. And in the 2nd half, with the game out of reach, it made sense to give him some experience.

Whether its Williams, Jones, or someone else, Dillon will be in a 1a/1b situation next year at best, and on the wrong side of the receiving work. I cant take a snow game where he was the healthy running back as an indication that he is a 21+ 4 reception guy. I still like him as a TD dependant RB2 going forward, which isnt necessarily a bad thing, but I'm not exactly excited about it, and not buying him above that value.

QB Browns
Role Player
Role Player

Postby QB Browns » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:52 am

jimmychoi wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:09 pm

I just wonder if Green Bay is willing to sign Jones to the money he will want. He has Rosenhaus as an agent, and I can’t imagine he’d want to play on a team friendly deal. Isn’t greenbay projected to be tight with the decreasing cap numbers as well?
I've got to agree with this. I'd be curious why one would think it's probable that Jones gets re-signed. While one game doesn't make Dillon a guaranteed future star, it really seems like this was management's plan when they drafted Dillon in the 2nd round. Ride out the last year of Jones' deal while you develop the rookie, let Jones walk, and (my best guess) re-sign Williams to work as a rotational back/pass blocking RB. Over The Cap has the Packers listed at 21 million above the salary cap for 2021 (assuming I'm interpreting it correctly - which I may not be) and that's already without Jones on the roster for that year. In all likelihood they're going to have to make some cuts and as great as Jones is, I don't think they can afford to bring him back on top of that.
Team 1

10 team, 2 QB, 3 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1WR/TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, DEF, .5 ppr

QB: D. Prescott, K. Cousins, A. Richardson, R. Tannehill, T. Lance

RB: A. Kamara, S. Barkley, Bi. Robinson, J. Conner, J. Dobbins, A. Dillon, D. Harris, R. Stephenson, K. Herbert, I. Spiller, Br. Robinson, K. Ingram, T. Spears, D. Foreman

WR: M. Evans, D. Adams, AJ Brown, C. Lamb, J. Waddle, K. Toney, J. Reed

TE: D. Waller, P. Friermuth, D. Kincaid

GWA87
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby GWA87 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:00 am

QB Browns wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:52 am

I've got to agree with this. I'd be curious why one would think it's probable that Jones gets re-signed. While one game doesn't make Dillon a guaranteed future star, it really seems like this was management's plan when they drafted Dillon in the 2nd round. Ride out the last year of Jones' deal while you develop the rookie, let Jones walk, and (my best guess) re-sign Williams to work as a rotational back/pass blocking RB. Over The Cap has the Packers listed at 21 million above the salary cap for 2021 (assuming I'm interpreting it correctly - which I may not be) and that's already without Jones on the roster for that year. In all likelihood they're going to have to make some cuts and as great as Jones is, I don't think they can afford to bring him back on top of that.
Agreed. They've also handed out big extensions to Bakhtiari and Kenny Clark this season. They'll have to pay up to retain Corey Linsley, if they so choose. Jaire Alexander will be due for big money in the near future as well. I just don't see the Packers shelling out the money it will take to re-sign Jones. I'm a Packers fan, and I love Aaron Jones, but I don't see it happening. I've been wrong before, though.

jimmychoi
Starter
Starter

Postby jimmychoi » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:19 pm

GWA87 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:00 am
Agreed. They've also handed out big extensions to Bakhtiari and Kenny Clark this season. They'll have to pay up to retain Corey Linsley, if they so choose. Jaire Alexander will be due for big money in the near future as well. I just don't see the Packers shelling out the money it will take to re-sign Jones. I'm a Packers fan, and I love Aaron Jones, but I don't see it happening. I've been wrong before, though.
These are my thoughts exactly. You don’t fire your agent and hire Rosenhaus to play for 8 mill a year, but who knows what’s possible.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:28 pm

The real clincher is that Aaron Rodgers loves Jones, and we all know GB management never gives Aaron Rodgers what he wants.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

jimmychoi
Starter
Starter

Postby jimmychoi » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:04 pm

Vcize wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:28 pm
The real clincher is that Aaron Rodgers loves Jones, and we all know GB management never gives Aaron Rodgers what he wants.
Good point. I hope Rodgers doesn’t tell LeFleur he likes Dillon because he’ll take another rb in the first round. Lol

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:40 am

Green Bay would like to have Jones back on a team friendly or slightly above deal. Jones wants to be paid like an elite running back, and neither side is budging. Either they franchise tag him or hes walking.

jimmychoi
Starter
Starter

Postby jimmychoi » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:31 pm

MFundercover wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:40 am Green Bay would like to have Jones back on a team friendly or slightly above deal. Jones wants to be paid like an elite running back, and neither side is budging. Either they franchise tag him or hes walking.
Anyone know what his tag number would be?

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:40 pm

jimmychoi wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:31 pm
MFundercover wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:40 am Green Bay would like to have Jones back on a team friendly or slightly above deal. Jones wants to be paid like an elite running back, and neither side is budging. Either they franchise tag him or hes walking.
I could be wrong here so someone confirm, but I believe the tag is the average of the top 5 paid at the position. The top 5 is Zeke, Henry, CMC, Barkley, DJ/MG3. They average together 11.75M in 2021 Cap hits. I don't see them paying Aaron Jones over 10M a year personally. There are a lot of RB FA next year. That supply should hurt how much each one commands.

jimmychoi
Starter
Starter

Postby jimmychoi » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:44 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:40 pm
I could be wrong here so someone confirm, but I believe the tag is the average of the top 5 paid at the position. The top 5 is Zeke, Henry, CMC, Barkley, DJ/MG3. They average together 11.75M in 2021 Cap hits. I don't see them paying Aaron Jones over 10M a year personally. There are a lot of RB FA next year. That supply should hurt how much each one commands.
Ty sir. That’s a big number for sure. I just don’t think Rosenhaus will allow him to sign an undervalued deal but what do I know.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:50 pm

jimmychoi wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:44 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:40 pm

Ty sir. That’s a big number for sure. I just don’t think Rosenhaus will allow him to sign an undervalued deal but what do I know.
You never know with Drew as the agent. I will say Jones is the premier RB FA along with Carson. If I were either and could get a 3 yr 8M per year contract I'd probably take it. Maybe some other team gives each 10M plus though, who knows? I could see the Pack giving 8m to Jones. Any more and I would think they wasted the 2nd on Dillon