Carson Wentz Thread: Reborn in Indy?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Wentz?

Postby Hottoddies » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:20 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:08 am When did he get so bad? Turnover machine and sails throws left and right. No poise, always forcing the issue, doesn't seem to let the game come to him and always erratic.

Total mess. What does the future hold?
If Wentz let the game come to him he'd get sacked. I not sure if he can be judged fairly with the condition of his offensive line.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:38 pm

Hottoddies wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:20 pm
Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:08 am When did he get so bad? Turnover machine and sails throws left and right. No poise, always forcing the issue, doesn't seem to let the game come to him and always erratic.

Total mess. What does the future hold?
If Wentz let the game come to him he'd get sacked. I not sure if he can be judged fairly with the condition of his offensive line.
Excuses.

I know this because even if you could 100% blame the line he still holds onto the ball way too long in spite of knowing this. He knows what he is working with and yet still decides to hold onto the ball and play hero. He makes poor choices, period bottom line. For 100 million dollars check the damn ball down like Drew Brees does every other play. Its not that hard Carson.
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:40 am

Another terrible showing. Surprising Hurt didn't get in, at least for a series or two if for no other reason than to motivate Wentz. Or try to.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:53 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:40 am Another terrible showing. Surprising Hurt didn't get in, at least for a series or two if for no other reason than to motivate Wentz. Or try to.
I have to say, even as a lifelong Cowboys fan who probably dislikes the Eagles more than any other team, I’m surprised how bad Wentz is playing because I’ve always thought he was going to be a top QB in the league. I think he’s definitely more talented than this but maybe with all of the injuries with him and the their o-line, maybe he’s gotten some bad habits, idk?

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:14 pm

stick a fork in him. writing was on the wall when the Eagles used a 2nd round pick on a qb. He's been atrocious. It would take a miracle for him to bounce back.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:24 pm

notweswelker wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:14 pm stick a fork in him. writing was on the wall when the Eagles used a 2nd round pick on a qb. He's been atrocious. It would take a miracle for him to bounce back.
Do you anticipate them trading him? They are in the hook through 2022.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:36 pm

CGW wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:24 pm
notweswelker wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:14 pm stick a fork in him. writing was on the wall when the Eagles used a 2nd round pick on a qb. He's been atrocious. It would take a miracle for him to bounce back.
Do you anticipate them trading him? They are in the hook through 2022.
I really don't think they go away from Wentz for this reason. Sure they spent a 2nd on Hurts but so? Packers spent a 1st on Love. Doesn't mean either backup is good or will see the field. (Yes I know AROD > Wentz). As soon as they pull Wentz it's all over... I don't see them pulling him prior to halfway through 2021. Not to mention they are in 1st place and probably believe they have a shot in the playoffs

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:19 am

JFever wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:19 am
PR0v3 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:31 am He's always been like this, I've been saying it for years now. He had a nice 14 game stretch very early in his career, on a team that was so good they won the SB with a backup QB (when does that ever happen?), and has been living off the reputation gained from being a young QB on that winning team ever since.

Hurts will take over soon enough, that's why they drafted him.
I'd disagree with the above take. I find it lazy and over simplified. Seems to me that Wentz has been hit more than any other qb in the league at this point. Also, the entire team has been ravaged by injuries. For at least several weeks now, Ertz hasn't been a factor, Sanders slowed by injury, offensive line decimated, Reagor - a near non factor,
Alshon - just got back this past week.... and a UDFA wr is the number one target. Good grief....

He is a tough kid and has taken much more punishment than most qb's in the league could take. Now, as of this last week - the WHOLE damn team looked out of sinc. There was little to no rhythem. I guess one could blame Wentz. That would be easy to do. I for one see it as running a bit deeper than that. For the record, I don't think Wentz is in that top 5-10 NFL qb conversation. All things being equal though - I don't see him as a bottom 10 either.

There are many problems with that current Eagles team and Wentz isn't toward the top of the list imo.
how is it lazy and over simplified?

he's always missed way too many simple throws to wide open receivers. the only difference was earlier in his career, because he held onto the ball so long, when he was in the midst of getting sacked he would somehow escape and sling the ball downfield to a wr for a big play. everybody slurped him up and sang his praises, ignoring the fact that if he ran the play like he was supposed to he wouldn't have needed to make so many "unscheduled" plays.

now he's doing the exact same thing but because he's getting sacked or turning over the ball on all these "unscheduled" plays the talking heads are suddenly saying he's playing hero ball. you gotta love it.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:54 am

While this may be true, I don't think drafting a QB in the 2nd is always a sign that the current QB is on the way out. If I were running a team, I'd make sure there's competition at every position. It's odd that so many teams don't draft QBs higher even if they have an established starter as it's the most important position on the field.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:33 am

he'll be done with football as soon as he gets another concussion. and with that o-line, it could happen any time.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:37 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:54 am While this may be true, I don't think drafting a QB in the 2nd is always a sign that the current QB is on the way out. If I were running a team, I'd make sure there's competition at every position. It's odd that so many teams don't draft QBs higher even if they have an established starter as it's the most important position on the field.
Perhaps you'd be a good GM, but you also don't see the Kansas City Chiefs spending 2nd round draft capital on a QB. If you've got your guy, you go all-in around them during their window to win. There was clearly enough frustration and questions around Wentz (to this point in his career, fairly or unfairly related to his injury luck) that they sought a second option.

This is also the same team that built a team so good that it won with Nick Foles, who was a veteran they signed off the street. You don't draft the backup position with that sort of draft capital unless you're legitimately thinking "alternate/succession plan".

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:41 pm

mild wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:37 pm
Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:54 am While this may be true, I don't think drafting a QB in the 2nd is always a sign that the current QB is on the way out. If I were running a team, I'd make sure there's competition at every position. It's odd that so many teams don't draft QBs higher even if they have an established starter as it's the most important position on the field.
Perhaps you'd be a good GM, but you also don't see the Kansas City Chiefs spending 2nd round draft capital on a QB. If you've got your guy, you go all-in around them during their window to win. There was clearly enough frustration and questions around Wentz (to this point in his career, fairly or unfairly related to his injury luck) that they sought a second option.

This is also the same team that built a team so good that it won with Nick Foles, who was a veteran they signed off the street. You don't draft the backup position with that sort of draft capital unless you're legitimately thinking "alternate/succession plan".
I think the Eagles saw Taysom Hill/Lamar Jackson packages for Hurts when they took him in the 2nd round and not necessarily an every week starter.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:35 pm

Good points.

Didn't the Packers use a second on Brian Brohm even though they have one of the best ever in Aaron Rodgers?

I think there's something to both of these angles.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:09 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:35 pm

Good points.

Didn't the Packers use a second on Brian Brohm even though they have one of the best ever in Aaron Rodgers?

I think there's something to both of these angles.
Brohm was brought in as competition for Rodgers.. after GB saw him practice for 3 years behind Brett :lol:
There were many analysts that thought Brohm was going to be the starter... just goes to show you how much of a crapshoot QBs are.

That said, they reached for Hurts because they bungled drafting Russell Wilson years ago-- All of their sources told them he'd be available way into the 3rd round, and then he was snatched up by SEA and he went on to be a Super Bowl winning QB, and one in the best of the game.

They believed in Wentz (that absurd contract means something) and were likely planning on drafting him as insurance then selling him after he popped for a profit... but they also were extremely high on Hurts..

I do think it's possible Wentz gets benched for Hurts if PHI continues to lose games

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:24 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:41 pm I think the Eagles saw Taysom Hill/Lamar Jackson packages for Hurts when they took him in the 2nd round and not necessarily an every week starter.
Then they're morons. That's terrible usage of 2nd round draft capital for a gadget guy that plays a max of 10 snaps a game. No, they clearly thought the ceiling is higher than that for Hurts in their draft evaluation - or else the capital makes no sense.

There was plenty of team-speak when they made the pick that they took Hurts for the value. They believed that they could groom him because they have a "stable learning environment" and therefore would be able to either get value for him in a later trade, or eventually make him a starter. What's interesting there - is that in order for this to actually provide value, they will need to recoup a mid-2nd or better in compensation - OR make him their starting QB sooner than later, in order to ride the Rookie Contract window he would afford them... except they can't do that as currently constructed, because they're on the hook for Wentz until 2022 with no cap outs.

For all the plaudits we laude on Howie Roseman for building that Superbowl roster and being a generally pretty-good GM, he really has had some spectacular draft misses. This could be another one of those. I got this message from the Eagles fan in my life, just last night...
I honestly think most days about how the Eagles passed on dk one year for jjaw and then did the exact same thing with Jefferson the very next year. What the actual heck
Could be worse, I'm a Giants fan... :roll: